Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeHow we win the Division Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

How we win the Division

Go down 
+2
Fire Arians
ImperialFan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

How we win the Division Empty
PostSubject: How we win the Division   How we win the Division EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Cincinnati Bengals 10 3 0 .769         DIV4-1 .
Pittsburgh Steelers 8 5 0 .615       DIV  2-2

If we were to win out
Bengals play
49ers, Broncos, Ravens

If the injuries to this team are long term I could see a scenario where The Steelers and Bengals would tie at 11-5 and if the Bengals lost to the ravens and one other game their division record would be 4-2 which would tie us with them then the division would be decided by common opponents then one would have to think since cincinatti would then have losses against perhaps 49ers or denver and arizona(all teams we beat) that we would win that tie breaker and win the division.
In a nut shell if the Bengals manage to lose against the ravens and either the broncos or 49ers and we win out... we win the division. We now at least have a logical route.

According to http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures it would then come down to common oppononets

correct me if im wrong.

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: How we win the Division   How we win the Division EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Am I right or what?

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: How we win the Division   How we win the Division EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 1:19 pm

I believe we win the division if 2 of cincy's losses are to the AFC opponents and we win out.

I don't think they win @ Denver, but they will beat Baltimore most likely. Cincy always had Baltimore's number & they're 2 teams heading in opposite directions this year.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: How we win the Division   How we win the Division EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 1:20 pm

But common opponents factor in before conference record when deciding a division winner according to my link.

I know they would have to lose to baltimore.... only way i see that happening is if daltons out and their their back up has a horrible day.

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: How we win the Division   How we win the Division EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 1:24 pm

ImperialFan wrote:
But common opponents factor in before conference record when deciding a division winner according to my link.

I know they would have to lose to baltimore.... only way i see that happening is if daltons out and their their back up has a horrible day.

Ah, well they'd have to go 0-3 which I don't see happening. Baltimore and SF are probably 2 of the biggest train wrecks in the NFL, they could start their 2nd stringers and probably still come out 1-1 against those 2 at the worst.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: How we win the Division   How we win the Division EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 1:27 pm

I don't dont see it happening either. However i believe if they go 1-2 and we go 3-0, that will knot us up and leave it to the common opponents tie breaker, which we win.

Maybe I'm overlooking something. idk

PostSubject: Re: How we win the Division   How we win the Division EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 2:39 pm

According to Ray Fittipaldo's blog at Post Gazette here is how Steelers can win division:

Here is how the Steelers can win the division. They’d have to win all three games and have the Bengals lose their final two AFC games to the Broncos and Ravens. In that scenario, both teams would finish 11-5 and the Steelers would win based on tiebreakers.

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: How we win the Division   How we win the Division EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 2:42 pm

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

^^^^^^So thats wrong??

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: How we win the Division   How we win the Division EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 7:54 pm

ImperialFan wrote:

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

^^^^^^So thats wrong??

Bengals must lose to the Ravens period, so if they do, odds are they were a bad enough team that they lost to Denver as well. So yeah the tiebreaker would fall all the way to common games. Which all sources on the internet seem to think puts the Steelers atop AFC North.

The Bengals losing in these next 3 games is likely. Even them losing two is likely if they're without Dalton.

But Idk if either of those two are likely to be The Ravens.

All in all, who doesn't like the parallels between this and 2005. Let's go for the 6th seed baby.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: How we win the Division   How we win the Division EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 8:37 pm

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
ImperialFan wrote:

Two Clubs

^^^^^^So thats wrong??

Bengals must lose to the Ravens period, so if they do, odds are they were a bad enough team that they lost to Denver as well. So yeah the tiebreaker would fall all the way to common games. Which all sources on the internet seem to think puts the Steelers atop AFC North.

The Bengals losing in these next 3 games is likely. Even them losing two is likely if they're without Dalton.

But Idk if either of those two are likely to be The Ravens.

All in all, who doesn't like the parallels between this and 2005. Let's go for the 6th seed baby.

You never know, taking a franchise quarterback away from a team completely changes them, as we saw with the cowboys and steelers earlier this season. I wonder if that it being week 17 and the ravens having nothing to play for will cause them to bow out, or if they will want to play spoiler.

SteelCity4Life

PostSubject: Re: How we win the Division   How we win the Division EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 12:34 am

The thing is, do the Ravens even have it in them to beat Cincy?

Dalton being out would help, but Flacco being out doesn't exactly help the Ravens, who ran a meager 28 yards Sunday.

We were less than perfect in beating the Bengals but look at our offense vs. the Ravens and also consider the edge of defenses should go to the Steelers.

Personally, I don't care about winning the division so long as we either see the Bengals again in the playoffs and win, or the Bengals go 1 and done, which I see happening anyhow.

Stuck in a SE Ohio Tech. school with a bunch of high schoolers. How we win the Division 1505004552
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: How we win the Division   How we win the Division EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 6:18 am

The only thing the Steelers can control is winning each game. Everything else will shake out.

PostSubject: Re: How we win the Division   How we win the Division Empty

Back to top Go down

How we win the Division
Page 1 of 1