Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBen: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'

Go down 
+12
FrancoLambert
steelers5895
pczach
jak341
SteelerEmpire
solardave
IowaSteeler927
DesertSteel
Atlanta Dan
JonM229
Fire Arians
Hawaii 5-0
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' Empty
PostSubject: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Big Ben on Emmanuel Sanders calling Peyton a better leader: 'It hurt'

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com
December 16, 2015

Emmanuel Sanders spent his first four NFL seasons in Pittsburgh where he caught 161 passes for 2,030 yards and 11 touchdowns. He has matched those numbers in just 28 games with the Broncos (158 receptions, 2,192 yards, 13 TDs).

But even before Sanders caught his first pass in Denver, he announced that Peyton Manning was a better leader than Big Ben.

Here's Sanders in July 2014:

“I feel like Peyton is a far better leader, in terms of staying after practice, catching balls, wanting guys to get on the same page with him, things of that sort. This is the first time that I had a quarterback that stays every single day after practice, no matter what his accolades. He's not one of those guys you gotta go chase down. He's gonna be right at the same spot ready to work every single day. ... I've got so much love for Ben (but) at the same time, I'm not going to lie. I'm happy to be part of this organization and happy that Peyton is my quarterback.”

With the Broncos facing the Steelers on Sunday, Sanders' name was bound to come up.

“Whether he meant it or not, it hurt in a sense that I tried so hard to keep him here last year and was always supporting him,” Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “When he was down in practice, I always talked to him. When he had a baby, I was trying to help him.

“I was more disappointed he didn't reach out to me. I know he told some other guys: ‘You know I love Ben, I didn't mean it like that.' I wish he would have reached out to me and just say that and I would have been fine with it.”

Sanders doubled-down a few months after his initial comments, telling NFL Network, “I have not one regret. If I said it, then I meant it. It wasn't meant as disrespect for anyone. I've got so much love for everybody over there in Pittsburgh, and they know it -- they know me. I didn't mean any harm.”

At the time, Antonio Brown called Sanders' comments "terrible" because "You don't throw your quarterback under the bus, the guy who makes you who you are." And Hall of Famer and former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis added that "You don't win a championship with a lack of leadership."

With Manning's sluggish start and subsequent injury, and Brock Osweiler learning on the job, Sanders' production has slipped this season. He still has 57 receptions for 788 yards and 4 touchdowns, but ranks just 65th in total value among all wideouts, according to Football Outsiders' metrics. A season ago, Sanders was 3rd.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25416043/big-ben-on-emmanuel-sanders-calling-peyton-a-better-leader-it-hurt
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Seriously they're still talking about this? Old news
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 1:31 pm

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 1:48 pm

Fire Arians wrote:

Ben stirred the pot by going on about being hurt by Sanders comments, just as he decided to go on at length on his radio show about Burfict's hit - not saying it is wrong but that is what it takes to generate stories for writers looking for anything to post until gameday

The way to keep something from becoming a story is to channel Belichick and just say "we're on to Denver."
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Sanders is talking out of both sides of his mouth. I hope someone lays a beat down on him going across the middle Sunday.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 3:44 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

Ben stirred the pot by going on about being hurt by Sanders comments, just as he decided to go on at length on his radio show about Burfict's hit - not saying it is wrong but that is what it takes to generate stories for writers looking for anything to post until gameday

The way to keep something from becoming a story is to channel Belichick and just say "we're on to Denver."

Ugh I hope nobody on this team ever acts like that personality-deficient, sleeveless hoodie-wearing, sore loser. Watching a Belicheat press conference is about as enjoyable as having needles shoved under one's fingernails. It's a painful experience, devoid of anything remotely interesting. Though I must admit, when he loses a big game, like the two Super Bowls against the Giants for example, his tears are delicious and his petulant attitude goes from obnoxious, to comical.

I like that our guys talk a little bit to the media. They don't really ever go overboard with it, and it's interesting to get an insight into what makes them tick... Instead of cut and paste responses like you get with Belicheat.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 8:49 am

Sanders. That name sounds familiar. Do we even know who this is? Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' 1072540953 What is this? Expert comment.

Win or loose sunday AB will still be 10 times better.
Back to top Go down
SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyFri Dec 18, 2015 11:26 pm

I'm not worried.

Sanders could not catch a ball while playing on Heinz Field.

Never did earn the right to wear the #88 for the Steelers, never will

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 4:15 pm

Emmanuel Sanders Says He Would Have ‘Won Some World Championships’ With Patriots**

February 3, 2016
By Matt Dolloff, CBS Boston

BOSTON (CBS) — People love to play “What If?” games, if only to scratch a personal itch. Patriots** fans love to make the “Brady could have 7 rings” argument, but there are haters and trolls lurking out there who have TB12 winning zero Super Bowls if Mo Lewis never put a crater in Drew Bledsoe’s chest.

Broncos wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders offered a delicious taste of “What If?” to reporters at San Jose for the Super Bowl, reflecting fondly on the opportunity to join the Patriots** as a free agent in 2013 and what could have been had he signed with New England.

“It was definitely a cool opportunity,” Sanders said, according to Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald. “I still remember when my agent called me and said the Patriots** were going to offer me an offer sheet. It was pretty cool, but it didn’t end up working out. I think if it would have worked out, I think I would have [signed] over there, and we would have won some world championships and it would have been awesome. But God is good now, and I’m playing for this great organization in the Broncos and having an opportunity to hopefully win my first Super Bowl.”

The ‘world championships’ part hurts. Even though the Patriots** ended up winning Super Bowl XLIX with Brandon LaFell and Julian Edelman doing a fine job filling Sanders’ presumed role in the offense, they could have signed the now-Broncos receiver in 2013 when he played for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They agreed to terms with Sanders on a one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet in April of 2013, which the Steelers matched.

The painful part, if you recall, is that the Steelers entered the 2013 offseason in trouble with the salary cap. Several expensive contracts, including those of Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu, left the team in a tough spot to sign free agents. The Patriots** could have practically priced the Steelers out of the deal if they went for an extra million or two with Sanders, but instead made it fairly easy for Pittsburgh to retain the receiver.

Sanders has been outstanding for the Broncos since signing a three-year, $15 million deal with them in 2014, and is playing in his second Super Bowl in three seasons. He has shown how his impeccable route running, ball skills and toughness could have been a great fit with the Patriots** – especially, specifically in the 2013 season when Tom Brady’s lack of weapons ultimately doomed them.

If only the Steelers didn’t match that offer sheet, Champ Bailey didn’t pick off that pass, Bernard Pollard and T.J. Ward didn’t exist, and Reche Caldwell, Asante Samuel, and Wes Welker caught the ball, Brady and Belichick might have about 14 Super Bowls. If only.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/02/03/emmanuel-sanders-says-he-would-have-won-some-world-championships-with-Patriots**/

Last edited by Hawaii 5-0 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Sanders would have a better chance for a championship if he stayed here. I guess he never will, now that denver is probably going to get killed by carolina and not sniff another super bowl for at least another decade
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 5:14 pm

What is Sanders thinking? You're current team is playing for all the marbles and you are reminiscing about playing for the Patriots**...who, coincidentally, you had a hand in beating.
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 6:13 am

I guess now that his better "leader" in Peyton I old and ineffective, he is going to run his mouth again and insult his latest quarterback.

Really? He says this during Super Bowl week?

What a tool...

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 8:07 am

pczach wrote:
I guess now that his better "leader" in Peyton I old and ineffective, he is going to run his mouth again and insult his latest quarterback.

Really? He says this during Super Bowl week?

What a tool...

After running his mouth about Peyton being a better leader and now this, I think Sanders still is miffed the Steelers told him he was not in their future plans and did not miss a beat with their wide receiving corps after he left.

Nobody likes to be told they are dispensable and then find out it is true.  So you talk about how you are special since a perennial Super Bowl contender (which regardless of what I think of them the Pats** are) wanted to sign you.
Back to top Go down
steelers5895
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 10:00 am

Peyton is an all time great and pretty much a natural leader. In fact, players had said Peyton is more of the coach then the head coaches he had. Ben too is a leader and I am not sure how you can determine what makes someone better than the other when they both lead differently.

It was a dumb, uneducated response but not sure why it would "hurt" Ben.

Just like it shouldn't hurt you guys when I tell you my light bulb joke. you are all big tough guys based on how you reply to posts right?
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 am

Wasn't his nickname "Dumb Money?"
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 10:14 am

steelers5895 wrote:
Peyton is an all time great and pretty much a natural leader.  In fact, players had said Peyton is more of the coach then the head coaches he had.  Ben too is a leader and I am not sure how you can determine what makes someone better than the other when they both lead differently.

Just like it shouldn't hurt you guys when I tell you my light bulb joke. you are all big tough guys based on how you reply to posts right?

it doesn't hurt, it winds us up.

Make me a Sargeant, Send in the Booze!

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 3:41 pm

steelers5895 wrote:

Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' Img_3560

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 4:21 pm

steelers5895 wrote:
Peyton is an all time great and pretty much a natural leader.  In fact, players had said Peyton is more of the coach then the head coaches he had.  Ben too is a leader and I am not sure how you can determine what makes someone better than the other when they both lead differently.

Just like it shouldn't hurt you when we all collectively laugh at your posts, yet the butt hurt shines through like a beacon.

Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' Bflj8

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 8:36 am

Keep it on task gentlemen.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
steelers5895
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 10:03 am

Amazing how easy it is to rile up posters here. Its easier than it is to throw against the Steelers current defense.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 10:10 am

steelers5895 wrote:
Amazing how easy it is to rile up posters here.  Its easier than it is to throw against the Steelers current defense.

Truck asked to keep it on task ... so lets not snipe after the warning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'   Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt' Empty

Back to top Go down

Ben: Sanders calling Peyton a better leader 'hurt'
Page 1 of 1