Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeGive a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler

Go down 
+6
Fire Arians
FrancoLambert
ImperialFan
DesertSteel
harrison'samonster
lotas
10 posters
AuthorMessage
lotas

lotas

Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler Empty
PostSubject: Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler   Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 1:39 pm

Antwon Blake - I was a critic of Blake for much of the last half of the season. While I didn't want the guy exiled like some, I just didn't understand why he was repeatedly starting when he seemed injured or ineffective.

But I can say nothing but good things about this kid in the playoffs. He played great in Cincinnati, and he played great in Denver, two tough environments and against two solid sets of receivers. Last night I kept watching him at the top of the screen with his cushion thinking (shiiiit...) but he really held his own. He ended the season with his arrow pointing up, something few if any of us saw coming and something we should give him credit for.

Jarvis Jones - While Jarvis has been a guy I haven't really been impressed with since he was drafted, I think this year he showed his ability to put his head down and go to work. While his play isn't necessarily drawing comparisons of great rushing linebackers, he is solid in the run game, and even showed last night he can cover in the passing game. He is a solid body on the field who is committing positively to the team, not just a massive waste of space on the line (and we all know how that goes...)

Martavis Bryant - Ok, Bryant doesn't go unappreciated, but from a maturity standpoint I want to give him a shout out because I am proud of him for stepping up and toughening up over these last few weeks. With his suspension and his young age and immaturity it was hard to know how he would handle success. While at times we've seen flashes of Sweed-like dropped passes, those moments are far outweighed by his breakout plays and athletic catches. Bryant has been absolutely explosive for us, and he brings an element to our offense that AB does not, they compliment each other well. Give him another off season to continue to mature and get stronger and he will only improve.

So who would you guys like to give a shout out to?

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler   Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 3:55 pm

I haven't watched the games this year like in the past. So I'll just add to what you said about Blake. Last year he looked a bit rough, but looked promising. I was disappointed to hear about all his trouble on the field this year and am glad he's fighting through it. I hope though, that he either plays consistently well next year, or they get him out of there.

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler   Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 7:15 pm

Coates for keeping a good attitude and working hard. He was ready when they called his name.
Boykin for going through what must have been a humiliating 3/4 of the season and doing it with class.
Captain V for doing the unthinkable -- starting at LT with ZERO experience at LT. He was mostly solid.
DHB for reviving his career and being a team first guy.
Landry Jones for that win against AZ. That made him worth the pick all by itself.

--These are just off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler   Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 7:19 pm

Id prefer Boykin honestly, but thats just me.

PostSubject: Re: Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler   Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 9:46 pm

AV stands out for me.
Playing a tough position with so little experience....and playing it well.
All-pro in 3 years? It could happern with his body, heart, and head.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler   Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 10:12 pm

My shout out goes to Ryan Shazier

At some point around the middle of the season he started staying healthy, strung some games together and showed some promise in the regular season. Then in the post season looked like our best defensive player. Hes so fast and strong, he has laid some hard hits (bengals lol) and forced fumbles. His arrow is pointing way up.

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler   Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 10:22 pm

ImperialFan wrote:
My shout out goes to Ryan Shazier

At some point around the middle of the season he started staying healthy, strung some  games together and showed some promise in the regular season. Then in the post season looked like our best defensive player. Hes so fast and strong, he has laid some hard hits (bengals lol) and forced fumbles. His arrow is pointing way up.

Reminds me of Brian Urlacher, a LB fast enough to play safety and just all over the field
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler   Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 11:01 pm

Robert Golden stepped in this season when Allen or Mitchell were down.  I thought he did a decent job and showed solid coverage and tackling when called upon.  Not starting material, but might end up starting next season if the position isn't addressed.

As for Blake, the first 2 passes of the game by Peyton were targeted at him and were completions.  There was a 19 yd gain thrown against him on a simple hook, where the WR ran him off and stemmed the route inside to the point that Blake turned his back on the WR.  Turning your back on the WR is a fundamental no no of playing CB.  

Blake was with WR's on several routes, but is still the 4th best CB on the Steelers and was a major contributor to one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL. I'd be curious to see how the advance stats ranked him, as he looked to play a -1.0 grade from what I saw.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler   Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 6:35 am

Alejandro Villanueva- Tip of the hat for a relative newcomer to the position holding his own after Beachum went down. We may have just found a cheaper alternative to paying Beachum to return with bigger upside.

Cody Wallace- Another guy who stepped in for an injured o-lineman and played well. Hey, he even managed to keep his thumb out of anyone's ass this season!

Chris Boswell- It can't be overstated how much this guy meant to the team once he was signed. A couple more devastating defeats from missed kicks could have sent the team into a downward spiral and missing the playoffs.

Darrius Heyward-Bey- Filled in more than nicely when called upon. He showed much better hands than his notorious reputation would suggest. A good vet guy to have around in a pinch.

Ross Cockrell- Although not always on point, he showed growth and potential in an area of need for a very young guy who could continue to improve. Arrow pointing up.

Back to top Go down
The_Joker

The_Joker

PostSubject: Re: Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler   Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 12:08 pm

Out of everyone, I gotta give it to the Ranger. Filling in a position he had no experience in and arguably doing it better than Beachum? Damn impressive.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler   Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 1:20 pm

lotas wrote:
Antwon Blake - I was a critic of Blake for much of the last half of the season...........He ended the season with his arrow pointing up, something few if any of us saw coming and something we should give him credit for.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't think he was the root of all our problems.

PostSubject: Re: Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler   Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler Empty

Back to top Go down

Give a Shout Out to an Underappreciated Steeler
Page 1 of 1