Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback

Go down 
+18
IowaSteeler927
DesertSteel
stlrtruck
solardave
El-Gonzo Jackson
Steeler-in-west
pczach
Wallace108
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
steelers5895
HeinzMustard
FrancoLambert
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
vasteeler
WCSteeler
harrison'samonster
SteelersNorth
Fire Arians
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 1:55 pm

steelers5895 wrote:
sign a back up qb rather  than draft one.  we did that with  landry, he  sat behind ben and when  his number was called he wasn't  that good.

There's something to be said for a backup QB who has a lot of game experience. The biggest problem with Landry last season is not that he doesn't have the talent and ability to be a good backup, but that he didn't have any game experience. No one should expect a young QB with zero snaps in a real game to step in and play like Ben.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 2:40 pm

"Cody Kessler (@USC_Athletics) reminds me a lot of Andy Dalton coming out of TCU."

- @MikeMayock #SeniorBowl
30 Jan 2016
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 2:51 pm

Unfortunately, there is only so much salary cap space. This team is built to win now. Getting a quality backup is expensive. Most good backups in the NFL are making a couple million dollars or more.

The Steelers may not have the luxury of paying a big name quality backup quarterback. They know Ben is still great. They know they have a few weaknesses on the team. They are up against it with the salary cap.

They have a choice to make. Do they try to get a quality backup quarterback in the event that Ben gets hurt during the year, and can help them make the playoffs? Or, do they put all their money into the team around Ben, address what weaknesses they have, and give themselves the best chance to make a run at championships, rolling the dice that Ben will stay healthy?

In the NFL, if the starting quarterback isn't playing, you're not winning many games. My guess is that they will not spend any money on a new backup quarterback. They will roll with Landry Jones and Bruce G, and hope Ben is healthy going into the playoffs.

If Ben isn't in there, they're not going anywhere anyway. That's why I think they throw everything they have into the rest of the team.

I think the real search for a future starting quarterback probably happens in about 2 years. He learns the system under Ben, and when his rookie contract is up, the Steelers will decide if he is going to be the guy. They sign him to a contract and go with him if Ben is done, or they move on to someone else. If Ben retires earlier than that, they let him play and find out what he could do before signing him to another contract.

Life without Ben may not be any fun.

In a perfect world, that's how it would work.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 4:22 pm

For the people thinking that the Steelers will pick one up in FA I'd like to quote the movie 'Donnie Brasco" Fugetta bout it. The Steelers don't participate in FA acquisition, they just don't. Cody Kessler could be a great use of a draft pick, the Steelers like 'Pocket Passers' and despite rather short (6-1) he fits the mold. If the Steelers could use a 4th round pick to get him it would sure beat another LB that would just wind up on the practice squad.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 5:32 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
Wouldn't be against drafting a qb honestly. With grad being a free agent and LJ showering nothing, and Ben getting up in years, grooming potential replacements might be a good idea

Grad would likely come back if healthy.
Ben is 33 with at least 3 good years left.
Landry Jones didn't show 'nothing'. He helped us win the Cardinals game. With more practice i think he would be a fine no 2.

I see this as the Steelers looking at extra insurance for the no. 3 spot, nothing more. I think their QB situation is solid.

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 9:22 pm

Steeler-in-west wrote:

I see this as the Steelers looking at extra insurance for the no. 3 spot, nothing more. I think their QB situation is solid.

I agree, we have the franchise QB and he just had one of his best seasons and is surrounded with offensive weapons. I think he may have around 4-5 seasons left.

Bob Griffin.....no thanks. Too much drama and feelings of entitlement, not enough reading defenses and hitting the open WR.

Cody Kessler, maybe, but I don't see drafting a QB with not having a full compliment of picks. Need CB, S, TE, OG and yes...STILL another OLB with pass rush potential.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 12:45 am

If the FO learned anything from the 80s it's that you pick a QB when you need one. Bradshaw was playing fine until he just wasn't any more. At Ben's age that could happen to him.

Myself I'd rather doubt their insight now,thinking they wasted a pick only to find out it WAS the right move as an insurance policy. Here is some names to back me up. Cliff (watch me miss this punching bag and break my hand) Stout,Bubby(I'm inconsistant as hell) Brister, Neil (2 picks in the SB) O'Dumbass.

Before anyone puts words in my mouth I'm saying if a good QB is there in the later rounds we pull the trigger and don't look back. Period. If not this year then next.Or we address it in free agency.
Back to top Go down
steelers5895
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 11:54 am

you cant with without a quality back up. Ben gets hurt, Ben will miss games, Steelers cant put their hopes on a mid round question mark.

You draft on defense and you sign the holes you need to fill now and one of them is a quality back up QB who is battle tested. Keep in mind, a back up like Colt McCoy, even Bradkowski if he can stay healthy, Chase Daniel, Drew Stanton, Brandon Weeden will play with offensive weapons they never had anywhere else so that would improve their game.

You need them to keep us in contention for what we hope is 3-4 games. If your Starting QB is lost for 6 or more games your season could be shot regardless.

None of the above will command a ton late in free agency when backups are signed as such.

as for Vick, I don't see it. A player who's strength was his legs and mobility, once he loses that his game changes. That is where Vick is.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 1:03 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Drew Stanton, he has proved himself in the games I've seen him play. Not sure about Brandon Weeden or Chase Daniel.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 11:24 pm

SteelersNorth wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
Wouldn't be against drafting a qb honestly. With grad being a free agent and LJ showering nothing, and Ben getting up in years, grooming potential replacements might be a good idea

Up there in years?
That doesn't even make sense.
The Colts got lucky literally to get Luck when Peyton was hurt. Had that not happened Peyton would still be in Indy. But even still he went on to have 3 more suprelative seasons in Denver until this one before he fell off the radar.
The Cheatriots have drafted a guy in the 2nd round what 3 times in the Brady era and they never see the field and he's 38.

So if the Steelers draft a QB in the first 2 rounds this year then next year teams like San Diego, the Packers, Panthers, and Seahawks should all be looking to get a guy in the first round cause their QBs are 'getting up there' in age.

hilarious how people think lol

Kessler is a round 4-6 guy...
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 4:05 am

Fire Arians wrote:

Eww Landry Jones doesn't shower? Wait a minute... How do you know that? Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 1797695198

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 10:57 pm

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 1:18 am

STEELERS-BY-POSITION: QBs

Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

The first in a position-by-position series examining the Steelers roster in advance of the start of free agency on March 9:

QUARTERBACKS – (5)
(Free Agent Scorecard: 2 unrestricted – Bruce Gradkowski, Mike Vick)

BRUCE GRADKOWSKI
There comes a time in a player’s career where the ability to stay healthy trumps all other abilities, and Gradkowski, who celebrated his 33rd birthday on Jan. 27, might be at that point. After spending most of the 2015 offseason program as a spectator because of a right shoulder injury, Gradkowski opened training camp on the physically unable to perform list. He was activated off PUP on Aug. 16, and then he saw his only preseason action on Aug. 23 vs. Green Bay when he completed 3-of-5 passes for 25 yards and lost a fumble. On Aug. 25, Gradkowski was placed on injured reserve and Mike Vick was signed. There came a time during the careers of both Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch when Coach Mike Tomlin lost confidence in their ability to stay healthy, and once that happens it’s pretty much over for a backup quarterback because he’s supposed to be the guy always ready to step in and bail the team out in the event of an injury to the starter. If Tomlin has reached that point with Gradkowski, it makes no sense for the Steelers to bring him back. At least not as a player.

LANDRY JONES
A five-game preseason, Bruce Gradkowski’s injury situation, and an understanding of how foolish it would be to waste Ben Roethlisberger in August all combined to allow Landry Jones to play more football this summer than he has since he was in college at Oklahoma. The repetitions maybe honed the physical parts of his game, but some believe it was the signing of Mike Vick on Aug. 25 that provided the mental jolt. Maybe Jones perceived it as being passed over, but he responded with the kind of mental toughness the Steelers could not have been certain he possessed. As happens with all inexperienced quarterbacks, Jones had his moments, both good and bad, with the rescue job he authored against the Cardinals at Heinz Field being a highlight. Without any dynamic physical attributes, Jones will have to succeed in the NFL by making quick, correct decisions on where to go with the football and then being accurate with his throws. It’s somewhat amusing to hear Steelers fans demand their favorite team “get a better backup quarterback” as if one could be ordered via Amazon. Ask the Dallas Cowboys how easy that isn’t. Salary cap friendly, Jones would seem to have another year to show enough improvement to make the backup job his own.

BEN ROETHLISBERGER
How many more seasons will the Steelers have him? “I don’t think we are starting down that road of who is next after Ben,” said Steelers President Art Rooney II. “Obviously we have some work to do in terms of who are the backups. We will have some evaluation to do there. As far as I am concerned, Ben didn’t show much sign of falling off this year. So I am looking forward to at least several more years with Ben as our quarterback.” There’s your answer on the issue of whether the Steelers will go shopping for a successor this offseason.

DUSTIN VAUGHAN
Vaughan, 25, is 6-foot-5, 220 pounds and was signed to a futures contract by the Steelers after a 2014 season on the Cowboys roster as a No. 3 quarterback and then some time on the Buffalo practice squad in 2015. As a senior at West Texas A&M, Vaughan was the Lone Star Conference Offensive Player of the Year and runner-up for the Harlon Hill Trophy, given to the country’s top NCAA Division II player. He passed for 5,401 yards and 53 touchdowns, after which he signed with the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent. When his 2015 preseason was awful – Vaughan completed 35-of-67 (52.2 percent) for 343 yards, with no touchdowns, two interceptions, and a 54.5 rating – he was waived. Maybe Vaughan has a chance to compete for the No. 3 job with the Steelers. Right now, his goal should be to make it to Latrobe.

MIKE VICK
It was a somewhat controversial move at the time, but Mike Vick turned out to be a solid addition to the roster, given the time of year he was signed and what else was available in the category of “experienced NFL quarterbacks.” Vick was a good teammate, he respected the team’s hierarchy both on the field and in the locker room, and he came through for them in a big Monday night victory in San Diego, without which the Steelers don’t make the playoffs. But Vick just didn’t seem to be a good fit for the Steelers’ style of offense, and because he will be 36 before training camps open again it makes no sense to try to build packages to utilize him as he once was utilized. Vick was a good stopgap option, but the plan for the Steelers should be to get out of this offseason without again needing a stopgap option at quarterback.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/STEELERS-BY-POSITION-QBs/2e9abce9-ed07-4436-85d1-c1d621ce306b
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 1:54 am

Steeler-in-west wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

Landry Jones didn't show 'nothing'. He helped us win the Cardinals game. With more practice i think he would be a fine no 2.

Landry had a few decent plays against the Cardinals. Outside of that he sucked every other time he was on the field. He got the starting job against KC and sucked, and he nearly cost us the playoff game with a boneheaded interception at the worst possible time. If it wasn't for the heroics of Ryan Shazier we would've lost that game. Jones was a stop-gap solution because he knew the system better than Mike Vick, but outside of that I don't think he's good enough to remain a back-up in this league. There are other guys out there that have more experience, and have shown numerous times that they can step up and play when called upon.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 5:04 pm

Braxton Miller is coming out of Ohio State as a wide receiver after previously playing quarterback and that could make him a target for the Pats*, as Edelman also played QB in college. Tony Pauline at Draftinsider.net reports that the Chiefs, Steelers and Patriots* are interested in Miller.

Last season Miller combined for over 500 total yards on offense and depending on how he performs at the combine, he could be a first or second round pick in the draft.

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/74282/20160212/new-england-Patriots*-rumors-matt-forte-free-agency-target-braxton-miller-draft-option-for-julian-edelman-depth.htm
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 4:36 pm

Steelers meet with San Jose State RB Tyler Ervin at the NFL Combine

By Jeff.Hartman  @BnGBlitz on Feb 26, 2016

Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 Usa-today-9006395.0

Most would agree the Steelers don't need to be addressing the running back position in the upcoming NFL Draft, but that didn't stop the team from meeting with Tyler Ervin at the Combine.

Every year the NFL coaches and scouts descend upon Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis and watch potential draft picks sell themselves physically, socially and even mentally. Organizations schedule meetings with players they are interested in, and want to know more about.

The NFL Scouting Combine wasn't the first opportunity for teams to get to know prospects on a one-on-one basis. NFL scouts could meet with players at the Shriner's All-Star game, as well as the Senior Bowl, all before the combine began. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, their list of meetings has been short, but growing.

The latest prospect to meet with the Steelers was San Jose State running back Tyler Ervin, per Walter Football.com. Ervin is not your prototypical running back, but his speed and elusiveness seems to have many believing he could be a late round steal in the draft.

While fans of the Steelers might read this and think, "Why in the world would the Steelers want to look at a running back?!" there is a reason. Yes, the Steelers will rely on Le'Veon Bell and DeAngelo Williams in 2016, and it is assumed Fitzgerald Toussaint will be back as a third back on the team's depth chart, but after that the cupboard is bare. Ervin could give some depth to the position, but more importantly, could give the team a punt returner with experience

The Steelers don't want to risk getting Antonio Brown injured on punt return duties any longer, and Ervin has had success returning kicks at San Jose State. The past two seasons in college, Ervin has returned a punt for a touchdown in both seasons. He was the team's primary punt and kickoff return man in 2014 and 2015.

The Steelers could be looking at him as a dual threat player with the versatility to help them in the special teams category. When looking at it that way, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2016/2/26/11115558/steelers-meet-with-san-jose-state-rb-tyler-ervin-at-the-nfl-combine
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2016 7:09 pm

If you're going to take a chance on a small, fast guy, it should be an experienced return man to have a chance to provide depth at another position. It should also be late in the draft.

That's what infuriated me about the Dri Archer pick. He should have never been taken that high in the draft. I hated the pick the moment it was announced.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 1:09 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

Landry had a few decent plays against the Cardinals. Outside of that he sucked every other time he was on the field. He got the starting job against KC and sucked, and he nearly cost us the playoff game with a boneheaded interception at the worst possible time. If it wasn't for the heroics of Ryan Shazier we would've lost that game. Jones was a stop-gap solution because he knew the system better than Mike Vick, but outside of that I don't think he's good enough to remain a back-up in this league. There are other guys out there that have more experience, and have shown numerous times that they can step up and play when called upon.

I don't know, he made some good reads in the cards game. That's not by accident. He just needs more practice, study and maybe some 1st half preseason work. I think he's done enough to be given a chance to fight for that 2nd spot. That int against cinci was not that bad, the defender (brutishit?) made a good play on the ball, but yeah he needs work. That's not to say if someone better and with more experience is available we don't go after them. If jones was Ben's eir apparent we would know it by now, but I think he can be a decent backup.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 7:45 pm

Below is the most current list of Steelers draft prospects they have interviewed:

Updated: 3/1

USC QB, Cody Kessler (Senior Bowl)
San Jose State RB, Tyler Ervin (Combine)
Stanford TE, Austin Hooper (Combine)
Penn State DE, Carl Nassib (Combine)
Duke S, Jeremy Cash (Combine)
Louisiana Tech DE/NT, Vernon Butler (Combine)
Oregon QB, Vernon Adams (Combine)
Clemson CB, Mackensie Alexander (Combine)
USC LB/S, Su'a Cravens (Combine)

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2016/2/26/11114736/2016-nfl-draft-prospect-tracker-who-the-pittsburgh-steelers-have-met
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 20, 2016 11:17 pm

Steelers visit QB Prospect Brandon Allen at Arkansas' Pro Day

By Jeff.Hartman on Mar 20, 201

Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 GettyImages-496174288.0

The Pittsburgh Steelers are far from satisfied with their depth at the quarterback position, and are doing their diligence looking at college prospects who might be able to fill the void.

As of March 20th, the Pittsburgh Steelers depth chart at quarterback is far from certain. After Ben Roethlisberger, the only quarterback under contract with the team is Landry Jones, who is entering the final year of his rookie deal.

Jones performed well in 2015 when coming off the bench, but his overall performance left a lot to be desired. It was Jones who orchestrated an amazing comeback against the Arizona Cardinals at Heinz Field, but failed to win as a starter in Kansas City against the Chiefs, and threw a heartbreaking interception in relief of Roethlisberger against the Cincinnati Bengals in the AFC Wild Card round.

The Steelers could still re-sign Bruce Gradkowski or Mike Vick, but the team seems very interested in filling their void on the depth chart through the NFL Draft. Most recently, the team met with QB Brandon Allen at Arkansas' Pro Day.

Allen is a three-year starter with the Razorbacks, but due to some tangible size issues, has most pro scouts weary of him at the professional level. First, his physical size (6-feet, one-inch) is considered to be too small to play at the NFL level. Second, his hand size (8 1/2 inches) is also considered to be a half-inch below what most scouts prefer from quarterbacks coming out of college.

Allen is banking on a massive improvement from his Junior to Senior season to help turn him from an undrafted free agent signing, to a drafted player. Most project Allen to be a late-round selection in the upcoming NFL Draft, and that would be the exact time the Pittsburgh Steelers will be looking to address the quarterback position, if they do at all in the 7-round selection process.

With many glaring needs on the defensive side of the football, most would argue the team shouldn't even be thinking about a quarterback in the draft, but merely sign a quarterback as an undrafted free agent. While this certainly would be beneficial to the defense, some would also argue re-signing Bruce Gradkoswki would be the team's best option in terms of solidifying the depth chart heading into 2016.

Regardless of which side of the fence you find yourself on leading up to the draft, the Steelers are certainly doing their homework on quarterback prospects, Allen being the latest to catch their attention.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2016/3/20/11264012/steelers-visit-qb-prospect-brandon-allen-at-arkansas-pro-day
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 12:22 am

Steelers not likely to draft Roethlisberger’s successor but are intrigued by Prescott

ByJohn PerrottoPosted on April 9, 2016

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers haven’t had to look for its quarterback of the future in a dozen years.

They choose Ben Roethlisberger with the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft from Miami of Ohio. He took over for Tommy Maddox as the starter three weeks into his rookie season and has gone on to lead the Steelers to two Super Bowl titles and pass for nearly 43,000 yards.

However, Roethlisberger also turned 34 last month, so it is reasonable to wonder if it might be time for the Steelers to draft a quarterback and groom him as the eventual starter.

That will happen some year. Not this year, though.

The Steelers believe Roethlisberger is still in the prime of his career. Furthermore, they plan to use the majority of their draft choices on defense and know when their first turn comes to pick at No. 25 that potential franchise quarterbacks such as California’s Jared Goff and North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz will be off the board.

However, the Steelers are open to drafting someone to compete with backup quarterback Landry Jones. The only other QB on the roster is Dustin Vaughan, who was signed as a free agent in January after being released by the Buffalo Bills and has never taken a snap in a regular-season game.

Jones saw the first action of his NFL career last season, making two starts, after the Steelers drafted him in the fourth round in 2013 from Oklahoma. However, the Steelers aren’t completely sold on Jones being a long-time No. 2 let alone a potential starter.

“Landry Jones came through big time for us last year,” Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said. “I think we went into training camp hoping for that to happen, and in all honesty, in training camp, you saw some flashes, but maybe not enough to really say he’s our No. 2. And then we get into the season, and he saved a couple of games for us. So that was very encouraging.

“He’s proven to be a viable backup on a short-term basis. Can he do that on a long-term basis? He has to prove that, and he’ll be the first to tell you he has to prove that.”

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin would also like to see more from Jones, who completed 58.3 percent of his passes for 513 yards and three touchdowns with four interceptions last season.

“I like the progress he made in 2015,” Tomlin said. “I look forward to him taking another significant step, in terms of proving he’s a consistent and reliable contributor for us. I thought he really grew, in terms of his approach to it. I’m optimistic that he will continue to be a guy on the rise. Am I satisfied with where he is? No. Is he satisfied with where he is? No.”

The Steelers could wind up re-signing veteran Bruce Gradkowski, who spent last season on injured reserve and under shoulder surgery in the spring. The Pittsburgh native would likely be amenable to returning on a veteran minimum contract.

The only college quarterback the Steelers have reportedly visited with is Mississippi State’s Dak Prescott, who led his team to a combined 19 wins in last two season and set 38 school records. He was also a first-team Southeastern Conference selection in 2014 and 2015.

Despite his college success, Prescott could last until the fourth round and maybe even to the third and final day of the draft.

One drawback with Prescott is that he was charged with driving under the influence March 14 in Starkville. However, he was lauded for his character and leadership throughout his collegiate career and Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, while not downplaying the charge, has said he believes Prescott will learn from his mistake.

Prescott is often compared to former Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow because he is a bruising runner. The comparisons also stem from the connection with Mullen, who was Florida’s offensive coordinator when Tebow was a college star.

However, Prescott has more arm strength and accuracy than Tebow, though one criticism is that he locks onto his primary receiver for too long before looking for secondary targets.

Among other quarterbacks who could be on the board in the later round are Ohio State’s Cardale Jones, North Carolina State’s Jacoby Brissett, Western Kentucky’s Brandon Doughty, Stanford’s Kevin Hogan, Arkansas’ Brandon Allen and Southern California’s Cody Kessler.

http://www.todayspigskin.com/afc-today/pittsburgh-steelers/steelers-not-likely-draft-roethlisbergers-successor-intrigued-prescott/
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 11:15 pm

Big Ben will at least be there at least for three to four years. So do not take a QB just yet.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 7:01 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Steelers not likely to draft Roethlisberger’s successor but are intrigued by Prescott

ByJohn PerrottoPosted on April 9, 2016

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers haven’t had to look for its quarterback of the future in a dozen years.

They choose Ben Roethlisberger with the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft from Miami of Ohio. He took over for Tommy Maddox as the starter three weeks into his rookie season and has gone on to lead the Steelers to two Super Bowl titles and pass for nearly 43,000 yards.

However, Roethlisberger also turned 34 last month, so it is reasonable to wonder if it might be time for the Steelers to draft a quarterback and groom him as the eventual starter.

That will happen some year. Not this year, though.

The Steelers believe Roethlisberger is still in the prime of his career. Furthermore, they plan to use the majority of their draft choices on defense and know when their first turn comes to pick at No. 25 that potential franchise quarterbacks such as California’s Jared Goff and North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz will be off the board.

However, the Steelers are open to drafting someone to compete with backup quarterback Landry Jones. The only other QB on the roster is Dustin Vaughan, who was signed as a free agent in January after being released by the Buffalo Bills and has never taken a snap in a regular-season game.

Jones saw the first action of his NFL career last season, making two starts, after the Steelers drafted him in the fourth round in 2013 from Oklahoma. However, the Steelers aren’t completely sold on Jones being a long-time No. 2 let alone a potential starter.

“Landry Jones came through big time for us last year,” Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said. “I think we went into training camp hoping for that to happen, and in all honesty, in training camp, you saw some flashes, but maybe not enough to really say he’s our No. 2. And then we get into the season, and he saved a couple of games for us. So that was very encouraging.

“He’s proven to be a viable backup on a short-term basis. Can he do that on a long-term basis? He has to prove that, and he’ll be the first to tell you he has to prove that.”

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin would also like to see more from Jones, who completed 58.3 percent of his passes for 513 yards and three touchdowns with four interceptions last season.

“I like the progress he made in 2015,” Tomlin said. “I look forward to him taking another significant step, in terms of proving he’s a consistent and reliable contributor for us. I thought he really grew, in terms of his approach to it. I’m optimistic that he will continue to be a guy on the rise. Am I satisfied with where he is? No. Is he satisfied with where he is? No.”

The Steelers could wind up re-signing veteran Bruce Gradkowski, who spent last season on injured reserve and under shoulder surgery in the spring. The Pittsburgh native would likely be amenable to returning on a veteran minimum contract.

The only college quarterback the Steelers have reportedly visited with is Mississippi State’s Dak Prescott, who led his team to a combined 19 wins in last two season and set 38 school records. He was also a first-team Southeastern Conference selection in 2014 and 2015.

Despite his college success, Prescott could last until the fourth round and maybe even to the third and final day of the draft.

One drawback with Prescott is that he was charged with driving under the influence March 14 in Starkville. However, he was lauded for his character and leadership throughout his collegiate career and Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, while not downplaying the charge, has said he believes Prescott will learn from his mistake.

Prescott is often compared to former Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow because he is a bruising runner. The comparisons also stem from the connection with Mullen, who was Florida’s offensive coordinator when Tebow was a college star.

However, Prescott has more arm strength and accuracy than Tebow, though one criticism is that he locks onto his primary receiver for too long before looking for secondary targets.

Among other quarterbacks who could be on the board in the later round are Ohio State’s Cardale Jones, North Carolina State’s Jacoby Brissett, Western Kentucky’s Brandon Doughty, Stanford’s Kevin Hogan, Arkansas’ Brandon Allen and Southern California’s Cody Kessler.

http://www.todayspigskin.com/afc-today/pittsburgh-steelers/steelers-not-likely-draft-roethlisbergers-successor-intrigued-prescott/

run first spread read option offense in the Steelers future?
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Really don't expect them drafting a QB given that they don't have 5th and 6th round picks this year. UDFA signing would be more likely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback   Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers have their first prospect visit, and it's a quarterback
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2