Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeFree Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Free Agents I would Like to Sign

Go down 
+9
solardave
harrison'samonster
Fire Arians
BlackAndGold
El-Gonzo Jackson
kirklandrules
Hawaii 5-0
stlrtruck
steelers5895
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
solardave

solardave

Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free Agents I would Like to Sign   Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 12:46 am

steelers5895 wrote:
Jeremy Hill fumbled at a crucial time.  Adrian Peterson fumbled at a crucial time.  its part of the game and sometimes its the play on the other side of the field that causes it.  Oh wait, didn't Bettis fumble at the worst possible time and he has a bust in Canton!

what is the point of the fumble?  

hey I would have no issue with Williams being on the roster, I just think its an expensive luxury not a necessity like it was last year.  

You compared a 3rd string RB to HOFamers. I agreed with a lot of what you said in your opening post but you lost me here. We keep DW and look past FT and Todman for better help in the late rounds.

And to answer your question the fumble turned the tide of the game and we lost. We didn't loose the game against the Colts when Bettis fumbled .
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Free Agents I would Like to Sign   Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 3:04 am

Why would we want DeAngelo Williams? Hmm... 5895 I don't think you actually watched the Steelers this year did you? Williams was a stud, he's great veteran insurance at the position behind Bell, and he has some fuel left in the tank, Carolina didn't ride him into the ground in the latter part of his time with them. He's proven he's capable, and he bailed us out when Bell got hurt. Toussaint and Todman are good depth at the position, but we need to roll with Bell/Williams this upcoming season, they have a chemistry together, and they play well behind our offensive line. It would be doing this team a great disservice to let Williams go unless his foot injury was a big enough setback to warrant it.

And Reggie Nelson... No thanks. We already have a guy with a checkered past in Mike Vick that gets criticized enough, we don't need to add a prison yard thug to our roster. This is the guy that went low and blew out Bell's knee last season. I'd rank him right up there with Pacman and Burfict as far as a complete and total lack of character/intelligence.

Matt Cassel... No way, no how. I don't care if his best seasons came with Haley or not the guy hasn't done a damn thing in years despite being given golden opportunities with the Chiefs, Vikings, Bills, and the Cowboys. His best shot was probably Dallas, he was playing behind a good o-line, and he eventually had Dez Bryant to throw the ball to and he was still absolutely abysmal. I think we should see what Gradkowski has left come the preseason. I hope they don't keep Vick around for another season, and Landry Jones just isn't that good. He nearly cost us the playoff game against the Bengals. I could see them bringing in a free agent, but I don't think it'd be Matt Cassel. Chad Henne will be a free agent out of Jacksonville and he's got some decent experience, and has shown some flashes throughout his career. There's also Chase Daniel with the Chiefs who I think could fit Todd Haley's system, and has played some quality time as a backup, and then there's Matt Hasselbeck who is a wiley old vet and has shown he can still play well as a backup. I'd take any of them over Cassel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Free Agents I would Like to Sign   Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 6:30 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Why would we want DeAngelo Williams? Hmm... 5895 I don't think you actually watched the Steelers this year did you? Williams was a stud, he's great veteran insurance at the position behind Bell, and he has some fuel left in the tank, Carolina didn't ride him into the ground in the latter part of his time with them. He's proven he's capable, and he bailed us out when Bell got hurt. Toussaint and Todman are good depth at the position, but we need to roll with Bell/Williams this upcoming season, they have a chemistry together, and they play well behind our offensive line. It would be doing this team a great disservice to let Williams go unless his foot injury was a big enough setback to warrant it.

And Reggie Nelson... No thanks. We already have a guy with a checkered past in Mike Vick that gets criticized enough, we don't need to add a prison yard thug to our roster. This is the guy that went low and blew out Bell's knee last season. I'd rank him right up there with Pacman and Burfict as far as a complete and total lack of character/intelligence.

Matt Cassel... No way, no how. I don't care if his best seasons came with Haley or not the guy hasn't done a damn thing in years despite being given golden opportunities with the Chiefs, Vikings, Bills, and the Cowboys. His best shot was probably Dallas, he was playing behind a good o-line, and he eventually had Dez Bryant to throw the ball to and he was still absolutely abysmal. I think we should see what Gradkowski has left come the preseason. I hope they don't keep Vick around for another season, and Landry Jones just isn't that good. He nearly cost us the playoff game against the Bengals. I could see them bringing in a free agent, but I don't think it'd be Matt Cassel. Chad Henne will be a free agent out of Jacksonville and he's got some decent experience, and has shown some flashes throughout his career. There's also Chase Daniel with the Chiefs who I think could fit Todd Haley's system, and has played some quality time as a backup, and then there's Matt Hasselbeck who is a wiley old vet and has shown he can still play well as a backup. I'd take any of them over Cassel.

Cassel? I'm with you. I'd take Landry Jones in a heartbeat over Matt Cassel. I don't know why anyone would want him.

We have seen everything that Matt Cassel is able to do or ever will do in the NFL. He was horrific in Dallas this year while playing in meaningful games with a ton of experience and was a former starter.

Landry Jones is still young, with the ability to improve. He's not perfect, but he's a better option than that old spare tire that's been used a few too many times.

Banned

PostSubject: Re: Free Agents I would Like to Sign   Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 9:43 am

Hey I get it. I like Williams, always have and was thrilled with what he did for us. as much as I prefer to have him as our back up, not at that salary and not when we saw that FITZ can carry the load. He carried the load with minimal reps. He will only get better with standard practice reps and not practice squad attention. Add in the coaches and teammates have raved about him. So we will see. I wont be upset if DWilliams is our back up but will be if its at the expense of signing a defensive upgrade.

and to the poster who said I was comparing a third string runner to a HOFer? way to twist a statement for rabble rousing. I compared that he, like Peterson and a HOFer fumble and fumble at the worst times.

Also, although he fumbled, it did not cost us the game. We should have been up by 20 at that point. Manning was awful and we kicked field goals instead of touchdowns on the road which you cant do in the playoffs. We dropped interceptions, had 20 yard punts and Ben threw for 349 yards and no TDS. The game should have NEVER come down to the fumble. lets also not forget the defense allowed the broncos to go right down the field and score a TD.

it was a contributor but not the one and only reason we lost.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Free Agents I would Like to Sign   Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 10:01 am

Matt Cassel was useless for the Cowboys this year.  He's no upgrade over Landry Jones.  Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 131212936
DeAngelo Williams can be replaced with Touissant or Todman and we don't miss a beat at the backup RB slot.  Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 1505004552
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Free Agents I would Like to Sign   Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 4:47 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
Matt Cassel was useless for the Cowboys this year.  He's no upgrade over Landry Jones.  Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 131212936
DeAngelo Williams can be replaced with Touissant or Todman and we don't miss a beat at the backup RB slot.  Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 1505004552

Matt Cassel's best work was as marketing director of KSwiss
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Free Agents I would Like to Sign   Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 5:25 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:

Matt Cassel's best work was as marketing director of KSwiss

I knew it was only a matter of time until the K-Swiss references came out! Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 1549491426
Back to top Go down
steelers5895
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Free Agents I would Like to Sign   Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 5:37 pm

only one worse than Cassell was Vick and Landry
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Free Agents I would Like to Sign   Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2016 6:04 pm

Well, Cassell kind of sucks balls, but I'd take him over Landry
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Free Agents I would Like to Sign   Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 4:49 am

I really wouldn't mind if they picked up Chase Daniel. He's still young, he's mobile enough to move around, and he can sling it. I think his game would mesh well with our receivers. It'd just be a matter of him picking up Haley's offense. Henne and Hasselbeck are also free agents, I'd take either of them over Matt Cassel though I think Hasselbeck commands a little more money because of his veteran experience in the league.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Free Agents I would Like to Sign   Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 8:18 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I really wouldn't mind if they picked up Chase Daniel. He's still young, he's mobile enough to move around, and he can sling it. I think his game would mesh well with our receivers. It'd just be a matter of him picking up Haley's offense. Henne and Hasselbeck are also free agents, I'd take either of them over Matt Cassel though I think Hasselbeck commands a little more money because of his veteran experience in the league.

Daniel is a guy I really like. I liked him coming out of college, and I think he has played very well in limited duty in the NFL.

I don't care if he's undersized. He's very smart, athletic, and is very accurate throwing the ball. He would be a very reliable backup if they elect to move on from Gradkowski and Jones. We all remember how well he played for the Chiefs in the game he started against the Chargers a couple years ago with a trip to the playoffs on the line for the Chargers and the Steelers. They didn't win they game, but they should have. He played extremely well, and if not for their kicker missing a chip shot field goal, the Steelers would have gone to the playoffs that year.

He lacks size and arm strength. That has always been the knock on him as a starting quarterback. He has also played in Andy Reed's quarterback friendly system, and doesn't require a ton of throws down the field. Arm strength in overrated if you throw with anticipation. If you don't have good arm strength and lack the ability to throw with anticipation, that is a problem.

I have no idea how much it would take to sign him. They can't spend a fortune on a backup quarterback. I guess it depends on what their plans are for Landry Jones. Is he a guy they plan on keeping around? They can't pay both long term.

PostSubject: Re: Free Agents I would Like to Sign   Free Agents I would Like to Sign - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Free Agents I would Like to Sign
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2