Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBig-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North Empty
PostSubject: Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North   Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North EmptyTue Sep 06, 2016 1:45 am

Ralph N. Paulk | Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016

Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North Jpeg

In what could be a competitive AFC North, all eyes will be on the quarterbacks.

The Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals again are heavy favorites to win the division. Ben Roethlisberger and Andy Dalton have led their teams to the past three titles and have combined for 63 wins during that span.

The division is the only one with two Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks: Roethlisberger and Baltimore's Joe Flacco. It's also a division in which two quarterbacks — Dalton and Cleveland's Robert Griffin III — are seeking redemption or affirmation.

Roethlisberger has put up impressive numbers during the past three seasons. Yet over the past six seasons, they have only a wild-card victory over Cincinnati, a team with postseason deficiencies, to show for it.

“I just keep doing what I do,” Roethlisberger said. “I'll keep being a leader and keep my focus on the here and now.”

The Steelers, Bengals and Ravens doled out tens of millions of dollars in an effort to maintain consistency at quarterback. Flacco and Roethlisberger received two of the bigger contract bonuses in NFL history: $40 million and $31 million, respectively. Dalton signed a $97 million deal two years ago. Meanwhile, Griffin, who has been plagued by injuries, signed a performance-based agreement with the Browns that includes only $3.25 million for this season.

Roethlisberger and Dalton are complemented by solid defenses. Flacco and Griffin, on the other hand, will have greater demands to carry their teams while their defenses work to plug holes.

At 34, Roethlisberger has a sense of urgency. He also will be orchestrating an offense without two of its primary weapons: running back Le'Veon Bell (suspended for three games) and receiver Martavis Bryant (season-long suspension).

“We've dealt with missing players before, whether it's through injuries, suspensions, whatever it is,” Roethlisberger said. “We're worried about going on the field and improving everybody that's out there.”

Roethlisberger has been vocal and demanding, particularly of two second-year players: receiver Sammie Coates and tight end Jesse James.

“It's something that I feel I need to do (and) want to do,” said Roethlisberger, who passed for 3,938 yards despite sitting out four games because of injury. “Coach (Mike Tomlin) can tell them what they're supposed to do, but if I tell them what I want them to do, it's a big difference, so it's been a good session in that sense.”

The AFC North race could hinge on how well the quarterbacks' supporting casts perform, especially at receiver. The division has three of the best in the Steelers' Antonio Brown, the Bengals' A.J. Green and the Ravens' Steve Smith Sr.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11038591-74/roethlisberger-flacco-dalton
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North   Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North EmptyTue Sep 06, 2016 8:20 am

They almost always do.

The Steelers have the best quarterback. If the team can stay relatively healthy and some of the young guys step up, this will be a successful year.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North   Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North EmptyTue Sep 06, 2016 3:13 pm

pczach wrote:
They almost always do.

The Steelers have the best quarterback.

Terry Bradshaw thinks Ben Roethlisberger is best QB

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0117%2Fr44801_1296x729_16%2D9

PITTSBURGH -- Terry Bradshaw's opinion of NFL quarterbacks will be felt in New England and Green Bay.

Bradshaw calls Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the league's best passer in an interview with Steelers.com this week. Bradshaw is a Fox NFL Sunday analyst and four-time Super Bowl winner as the Steelers quarterback from 1970 to '83.

"I would rate Ben right on top of the list, ahead of [Tom] Brady for sure and anybody else, [Philip] Rivers, Eli [Manning]," Bradshaw told the website. "He is big, strong and poised."

Roethlisberger was listed as a Tier 1 quarterback in ESPN.com's recent quarterback ratings, but Brady and Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers are popular candidates for the top spot after winning multiple MVP awards. Brady has four Super Bowl rings, followed by Roethlisberger's two and Rodgers' one.

Bradshaw cited Roethlisberger's pocket presence and clutch play as reasons for the edge over other quarterbacks, and he makes clear his history with Pittsburgh is not a factor in the debate.

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17476613/terry-bradshaw-says-ben-roethlisberger-best-qb-nfl
Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North   Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North EmptyTue Sep 06, 2016 4:41 pm

If someone would break VB's legs before the season starts we could have a very good chance of making it to the dance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North   Big-name quarterbacks could decide AFC North Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1