Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeCan't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...

Go down 
+2
El-Gonzo Jackson
DesertSteel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... Empty
PostSubject: Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...   Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... EmptyMon Dec 12, 2016 12:36 pm

Davis or Burns???

I'm liking the weekly progress and the game experience their getting. Whoda thunk that we would have a top 10 D this year?
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...   Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... EmptyMon Dec 12, 2016 1:04 pm

I'm excited that Davis is tackling better and not like he did the first few weeks. The kid is a hitter, but wasn't wrapping up well. Also, that he appears to have a better understanding of where to be pre snap.

Burns I am pleasantly surprised that he is tackling better as well. Plus he seems to be getting a better feel for his responsibilities in the defense. His technique is still lacking but he is ahead of where I thought he would be at this point.

Many will point to Burns INT's, but honestly all 3 were underthrows by the QB and not any result on Burns making great breaks on the football. This one Sunday was his best IMO, as you could see that he understood he had deep safety help and was playing "trail" coverage. (He was trailing under the WR, knowing he had safety help over). Burns has hands and showed that in college, so the nice part is that when anything gets underthrown, he has a real good chance of picking it off.

Add the fact that Cockrell is playing really well the past few games and Harrison, Tuitt, Dupree and blitzing ILB's are getting pressure and the pass defense is improving big time.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...   Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... EmptyMon Dec 12, 2016 1:19 pm

All three of those under throws would have bounced right off ok Ike's hands too!!!
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...   Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... EmptyMon Dec 12, 2016 2:56 pm

DesertSteel wrote:
All three of those under throws would have bounced right off ok Ike's hands too!!!

At least 2 of the 3 Ike would have likely not caught. That is the thing you get with Burns right now...long arms and sticky hands. He just doesn't cover WR's like Ike did so far...but hoping the arrow keeps pointing up.

One could argue that Cockrell is blanketing WR's better than Burns right now. Just wait until Burns refines his technique.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...   Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... EmptyMon Dec 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Here is a good example of Burns still having a long way to improve, which is a good thing when he does clean it up.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Cant-Miss-Play-Charles-Clay-runs-through-defenders-for-a-40-yard-TD/92996c70-a917-4880-8ca8-9797dc9a04e7

He stands flat footed at the snap of the ball and stands there until Charles Clay actually runs into him. No backpedal, no shading inside or outside with his technique. Then when the ball is thrown, Burns is actually right next to Clay when the ball is in the air. If Burns just reaches with his right arm across and swats the ball down, the pass is incomplete. Burns instead goes for INT and overruns the play, reception is made and TD happens.

If he starts with good alignment and backpedal, then ends with pass defended, its a solid play. Instead flat footed and gambles on the play, which results in a TD. I hope that gets on the screen in film session, but who knows what Carnell Lake focuses on.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...   Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... EmptyMon Dec 12, 2016 7:52 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Here is a good example of Burns still having a long way to improve, which is a good thing when he does clean it up.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Cant-Miss-Play-Charles-Clay-runs-through-defenders-for-a-40-yard-TD/92996c70-a917-4880-8ca8-9797dc9a04e7

He stands flat footed at the snap of the ball and stands there until Charles Clay actually runs into him.  No backpedal, no shading inside or outside with his technique.  Then when the ball is thrown, Burns is actually right next to Clay when the ball is in the air.  If Burns just reaches with his right arm across and swats the ball down, the pass is incomplete.  Burns instead goes for INT and overruns the play, reception is made and TD happens.

If he starts with good alignment and backpedal, then ends with pass defended, its a solid play.  Instead flat footed and gambles on the play, which results in a TD.  I hope that gets on the screen in film session, but who knows what Carnell Lake focuses on.
Hopefully he's reading your posts!
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...   Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... EmptyMon Dec 12, 2016 11:24 pm

Hopefully Golson and Gilbert will pan out and we will have a seriously deep secondary. Now if they don't whiff on a pass rusher like they did on Jarvis no sack Jones and some heat can be turned up on QBs we will again have the defense we are used to as Steeler fans. Please please please let it be true!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...   Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... EmptyTue Dec 13, 2016 12:47 am

I like them both when drafted the talking heads not so much I'll take talented raw player and coach him up any day.

mold them into what your trying to do in a defensive plus they are more likely to help future young players coming in.

salary cap can't keep everyone.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...   Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... EmptyTue Dec 13, 2016 12:53 am

all our top 3 picks are starters on our defense. this may turn out to be one of our best in years
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...   Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... EmptyTue Dec 13, 2016 8:49 am

I'm excited for the whole draft class. Could be the draft that helps this defense reach elite status. (still needs another piece)

PostSubject: Re: Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...   Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About... Empty

Back to top Go down

Can't Decide Who I'm More Excited About...
Page 1 of 1