Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRavens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Ravens week (let's start drinking again)

Go down 
+14
Wallace108
EbonySteel86
Mach1
Atlanta Dan
solardave
Steeler-in-west
Fire Arians
Jazzo
SteelersYak
FrancoLambert
Steelcitian
El-Gonzo Jackson
SteelersNorth
stlrtruck
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2016 1:18 pm

SteelersNorth wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:
Mach1 wrote:
Report: Steelers expect to have Ben Roethlisberger vs. Ravens

CBS NFL insider Jason La Canfora has reported that the Steelers are expecting to have Ben Roethlisberger back for the Steelers' Week 9 game against the Ravens.

Roethlisberger underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus nearly two weeks ago after suffering the injury in Week 6 against the Dolphins.

"When the Steelers return from their bye to practice this week, team officials anticipate quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will participate in drills and be ready to face the Ravens in Week 9," La Canfora wrote. "Roethlisberger had surgery to repair a meniscus issue in his knee earlier this month, but the team's doctors expected two-to-three weeks of recovery time, and he is on schedule for that time frame."

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Steelers-expect-to-have-Ben-Roethlisberger-vs-Ravens-48628215

I'd rather see Landry Jones get the start.  If he can hold his own and the defense can surely tackle during the game, then it's really another week for Ben to heal and come back against a more difficult team in Dallas.  I know we can't look past the ratbirds, but I think Jones did enough last week to win the game and the results weren't of his own undoing.  Maybe he's finally getting it, maybe? Regardless, what we don't need is Ben out there against a defense looking to injure him even when he's 100%.

No he didn't do enough because if he did they very well may have won that game. Even though I don't think it would have mattered.

So again you're saying Ben is 100% sit him and start Jones?  Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 2573146105  Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 2573146105  Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 2573146105  Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 2573146105
Why did the Cheatriots even bother bringing Brady back at being 3-1 without him?
Why did the Packers in 2014 bother playing Rodgers when his pussy calf injury 'slowed' him down? but because he played there's no excuse if it was 'that' bad you sit him regardless.

Simply put 80% of any of those guys including Ben are vastly superior than their back ups. You only play your back up QB when your main one is literally a cripple.

But to say start Jones over Ben is just insane! I'm sorry.

First, I believe Jones did do enough to win the game last week and it was more the screwed up coaching in the 4th as well as a swiss cheese defense that didn't help him out.  But that's water under the bridge.

Second, IF Ben were at 100% I'd have no problem with him being out there, but let's face it, Ben -most likely- isn't at 100% (and I'm talking specifically on the injured knee).  And playing a team with the history of brutal games and additional injuries doesn't make me feel any more confident if his knee isn't 100%.  I keep hearing 'sweep the leg'.  I just don't think Ben's knee is 100% ready and I feel confident Jones can win this game in Baltimore.  Worse case scenario is Ben is backup to Jones should Jones prove himself unable to handle the game.

You're still wrong whether you want to see it that way or not.
He won't play if HE doesn't feel comfortable. And specifically Ben said he has to feel good with the following: dropping back, stepping into a throw, and rolling out.

But you also failed to address my 2 other arguments:
Why did the Cheatriots waste their time bringing Brady back? They were 3-1 without him what's the point.
And in 2014 when Aaron 'God' Rodgers pulled his poor calf muscle for the NFC title game he still played.

Fact is all 3 give you the BEST chance to WIN regardless. But based on your method of thinking why risk Brady? or why Risk Rodgers?
I guess we should just hold Ben out if and when we make the playoffs then.

I'll even admit I don't think he will play all that well cause he never does after an injury and game speed is different than practice.
Having said that once again 80% Ben is still 'better' than 100% Jones.

Sorry you don't like my opinion, just because you think I'm wrong doesn't mean it's necessarily off base.  And when you become the end-all be-all for all things Steelers, then I'll blindly follow your opinions.  Until then, I'll just go with my gut.

Second, Brady returned from suspension, not an injury.  Wouldn't make sense to hold him out.

Third, Rodgers, as you mentioned, was during the playoffs, IMO, that's a different scenario in which there is no return from.  This game against the ratbirds isn't lose and out.  There are more games to be played, and one of them is against the ratbirds on Christmas day.  If this game on Sunday was a playoff game or a make or break game, then I'd probably say let Ben play, but it's not.

Finally, being my opinion, I think it holds weight when you consider the teams we're facing down the stretch. Games where we'll need a healthier option at QB, and definitely a QB who can actually play at Ben's level.  I don't see the ratbirds being too much for Jones to handle, at least to start the game.

The risk out weighs the rewards at this point and considering the level of intent to hurt the ratbirds tend to bring towards Ben (and throw in the fact the refs tend to lose their flags), is this one game worth the rest of the season?  Not in my opinion.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2016 2:50 pm

Captain Gummy says of course BR7's "big ass" will be out there Sunday: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/11/2/13499814/2016-nfl-football-terrell-suggs-thinks-ben-roethlisberger-will-play-sunday-steelers-ravens

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2016 3:12 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:
Mach1 wrote:
Report: Steelers expect to have Ben Roethlisberger vs. Ravens

CBS NFL insider Jason La Canfora has reported that the Steelers are expecting to have Ben Roethlisberger back for the Steelers' Week 9 game against the Ravens.

Roethlisberger underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus nearly two weeks ago after suffering the injury in Week 6 against the Dolphins.

"When the Steelers return from their bye to practice this week, team officials anticipate quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will participate in drills and be ready to face the Ravens in Week 9," La Canfora wrote. "Roethlisberger had surgery to repair a meniscus issue in his knee earlier this month, but the team's doctors expected two-to-three weeks of recovery time, and he is on schedule for that time frame."

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Steelers-expect-to-have-Ben-Roethlisberger-vs-Ravens-48628215

I'd rather see Landry Jones get the start.  If he can hold his own and the defense can surely tackle during the game, then it's really another week for Ben to heal and come back against a more difficult team in Dallas.  I know we can't look past the ratbirds, but I think Jones did enough last week to win the game and the results weren't of his own undoing.  Maybe he's finally getting it, maybe? Regardless, what we don't need is Ben out there against a defense looking to injure him even when he's 100%.

No he didn't do enough because if he did they very well may have won that game. Even though I don't think it would have mattered.

So again you're saying Ben is 100% sit him and start Jones?  Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 2573146105  Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 2573146105  Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 2573146105  Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 2573146105
Why did the Cheatriots even bother bringing Brady back at being 3-1 without him?
Why did the Packers in 2014 bother playing Rodgers when his pussy calf injury 'slowed' him down? but because he played there's no excuse if it was 'that' bad you sit him regardless.

Simply put 80% of any of those guys including Ben are vastly superior than their back ups. You only play your back up QB when your main one is literally a cripple.

But to say start Jones over Ben is just insane! I'm sorry.

First, I believe Jones did do enough to win the game last week and it was more the screwed up coaching in the 4th as well as a swiss cheese defense that didn't help him out.  But that's water under the bridge.

Second, IF Ben were at 100% I'd have no problem with him being out there, but let's face it, Ben -most likely- isn't at 100% (and I'm talking specifically on the injured knee).  And playing a team with the history of brutal games and additional injuries doesn't make me feel any more confident if his knee isn't 100%.  I keep hearing 'sweep the leg'.  I just don't think Ben's knee is 100% ready and I feel confident Jones can win this game in Baltimore.  Worse case scenario is Ben is backup to Jones should Jones prove himself unable to handle the game.

You're still wrong whether you want to see it that way or not.
He won't play if HE doesn't feel comfortable. And specifically Ben said he has to feel good with the following: dropping back, stepping into a throw, and rolling out.

But you also failed to address my 2 other arguments:
Why did the Cheatriots waste their time bringing Brady back? They were 3-1 without him what's the point.
And in 2014 when Aaron 'God' Rodgers pulled his poor calf muscle for the NFC title game he still played.

Fact is all 3 give you the BEST chance to WIN regardless. But based on your method of thinking why risk Brady? or why Risk Rodgers?
I guess we should just hold Ben out if and when we make the playoffs then.

I'll even admit I don't think he will play all that well cause he never does after an injury and game speed is different than practice.
Having said that once again 80% Ben is still 'better' than 100% Jones.

Sorry you don't like my opinion, just because you think I'm wrong doesn't mean it's necessarily off base.  And when you become the end-all be-all for all things Steelers, then I'll blindly follow your opinions.  Until then, I'll just go with my gut.

Second, Brady returned from suspension, not an injury.  Wouldn't make sense to hold him out.

Third, Rodgers, as you mentioned, was during the playoffs, IMO, that's a different scenario in which there is no return from.  This game against the ratbirds isn't lose and out.  There are more games to be played, and one of them is against the ratbirds on Christmas day.  If this game on Sunday was a playoff game or a make or break game, then I'd probably say let Ben play, but it's not.

Finally, being my opinion, I think it holds weight when you consider the teams we're facing down the stretch. Games where we'll need a healthier option at QB, and definitely a QB who can actually play at Ben's level.  I don't see the ratbirds being too much for Jones to handle, at least to start the game.

The risk out weighs the rewards at this point and considering the level of intent to hurt the ratbirds tend to bring towards Ben (and throw in the fact the refs tend to lose their flags), is this one game worth the rest of the season?  Not in my opinion.

What would hold weight is if Jones was actually capable of winning a game but he isn't. He 'fluked' the Arizona game last year when Vick got hurt or pulled up lame I'm not sure which and then did nothing against KC the week after. Against the Patriots* he had 'spurts' of decent play but that's about all.

But like you said it's not 'make or break' for the Steelers one way or the other so regardless the Cheatriots were 3-1 sans Brady. Suspension or not there was no need to 'rush' him back but he gives them the best chance to win.

Rodgers leading up to that NFC title game, the 'media' made it seem like he was some sort of hero playing on an amputated leg. So if he really 'was' that injured you don't play him, obviously it wasn't. I' m not saying he wasn't hurt just that in the limited capacity he still gave them a better chance to win.

Ben playing Sunday can put the Steelers 3 games up on Baltimore 2 plus head to head effectively ending their season, and 2.5 on the Bengals.
Logistically the Steelers 'could' and I stress the 'could' win out as the only above 500 teams they play are Dallas and the Giants as it stands.

I'll concede you're right we should cut ties with Ben now and to with Landry cause he's the 'healthier' option. Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 2913999526
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2016 11:44 pm

Losing to the Ravens Sunday doesn't mean the season is over. If a still-injured Ben plays and worsens the injury, the season is most definitely over. If Ben is 95 to 100 percent, there's no question that he should play. If he's 90 percent, you consider playing him based on how he looks and feels. Less than 90 percent, you take your chances with Jones and let Ben get healthy. Ben's health going forward is more important than beating the Ravens on Sunday.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 7:40 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Losing to the Ravens Sunday doesn't mean the season is over. If a still-injured Ben plays and worsens the injury, the season is most definitely over. If Ben is 95 to 100 percent, there's no question that he should play. If he's 90 percent, you consider playing him based on how he looks and feels. Less than 90 percent, you take your chances with Jones and let Ben get healthy. Ben's health going forward is more important than beating the Ravens on Sunday.

Agreed it's not over.
But losing gets the Ravens back into the playoff picture which they have no business being in as it stands.
On top of that; beating them effectively ends their season.

Of course Ben's health going forward is what will make or break this team it has since day 1 really.

But we'll see what happens as the next 2 days unfold.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 8:45 am

SteelersNorth wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Agreed it's not over.
But losing gets the Ravens back into the playoff picture which they have no business being in as it stands.
On top of that; beating them effectively ends their season.

Of course Ben's health going forward is what will make or break this team it has since day 1 really.

But we'll see what happens as the next 2 days unfold.

Whether we play Ben or Jones beating the Ravens does not end their season. It makes them depend on other teams (something we're no strangers to). I agree with Wally and everyone who says it's more important for Ben to be healthy down the stretch. As critical as I was of Jones last year I believe he can manage this game so we come away with the win. If nothing else start him and if he tanks early Ben will be dressed.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 9:52 am

Wallace108 wrote:

Agreed - but Tomlin (and Cowher before him) has a history of playing Ben until the injury recurs if he can walk

The worst screwup under tomlin in that regard was in 2011 when Ben messed up his ankle on a Thursday night game, played but was unable to move in the following Monday night game against the 49ers, then sat out the following game against the Rams and was still limping when they lost in the Denver/Tebow wild card game

My bet is Ben will play and, even if semi-healthy, have his usual mediocre first game back from an injury

I would sit him and bring him back at Heinz, where his play is significantly better, for Dallas
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 11:03 am

I'm with Dan, if Ben is marginal but can play with the pain and swelling in his knee....its not worth the long term cost IMO. I think with Heyward and Gilbert back, you lean on running the ball and stopping the run.

Landry Jones 76.6 QB rating vs the Patriots* was much better than Ben's 57.1 vs the Dolphins. So I guess I side with wanting a healthy Ben to play the rest of the season than the injured Ben that played out the Dolphins game.
Back to top Go down
Steelcitian

Steelcitian

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 11:11 am

I can't wait to shut up all the Ratbird fans saying "We beat them last year with backups"
Because anything that happened last year is sure to happen again this year.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 11:42 am

Winning this game does not clinch the division title.
Losing Ben for a longer period of time (and the second half of the season) is not worth the risk.
Too many games still to be played.
As strange as this may sound, if we were playing any other team, I'd lean more to having Ben play.
There's no doubt in my mind that if Ben plays, the Ravens will do anything to knock him out and their coaches are harping on that.  "Knock him out and we're back in the hunt for the division title."
I'd sit him and take our chances with Landry.
Lose with Landry...we're still in the hunt.
Lose Ben....bye-bye division.  Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 2000130356
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 1:54 pm

Wallace108 wrote:

100% on board with this.

Though the Ravens aren't on the dirty level as the Bengals, they aren't far off.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 2:57 pm

Maybe I'm not so far off base after all. Every show I've watched the last few days has expressed a similar view that I mentioned.

The stretch of games at the end are more valuable than this one.

But eh, what do I know?! Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 1072540953

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Ben will be back.

Burns also gets his first start this week.

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 2:16 am

Wallace108 wrote:

Can't argue with your reasoning Wally. Steelers need Ben healthy, but at the same time if we lose this weekend we are tied with the Raven's and lose the tiebreaker. And i think the Bengals can jump ahead by 1/2 a game. That's three losses in a row. For this game, with our secondary problems and lack of pass rush, i'm not sure Jones and our O can keep up with Flacco. What is 90 percent? if Ben can move around in the pocket and can take a hit, i would think that would be good enough for him to play.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2016 12:48 pm

If he can practice fully with no problems, I got no issue with him starting Sunday. If he's a limited participant I'd rather sit him.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 05, 2016 1:44 am

the Ravens suck as much as the Steelers do right now the Steelers need to win this suck fest to win the suck fest AFC North. if the Steelers want to make the playoffs? because there is no wild card for the Steelers playoff hopes.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 05, 2016 9:48 am

effyou515 wrote:
there is no wild card for the Steelers playoff hopes.
Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 27dd39065116dd636291836c3b557377bd42c8e34d83bce986e9ff4fe0e604f0
Back to top Go down
Jazzo

Jazzo

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 05, 2016 7:44 pm

Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 Ben10
Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 Flacco10

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 12:10 pm

Roethlisberger warmed up in the tunnel beneath M&T Bank Stadium and the team has confirmed that he will be in the starting lineup against the Ravens.

The Steelers also will get offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert and defensive end Cameron Heyward back for their game in Baltimore. Both had missed multiple games with injuries.

Wide receiver Markus Wheaton, who practiced fully for the past two weeks while the Steelers were on a bye, was a surpising healthy scratch.

For Baltimore, wide receiver Steve Smith is active today and is expected to start.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20161106/roethlisberger_active_for_steelers_and_will_start_against_ravens#.WB9gFQkFzZ8.twitter

If Wheaton owns a house in Pittsburgh he should start researching real estate agents and movers
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 1:08 pm

2 weeks to prep, and that's what the coaching staff drew up?
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 4:33 pm

OX1947 wrote:
2 weeks to prep, and that's what the coaching staff drew up?

They drew a giant turd and seemed happy with it.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 7:12 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
Roethlisberger warmed up in the tunnel beneath M&T Bank Stadium and the team has confirmed that he will be in the starting lineup against the Ravens.

The Steelers also will get offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert and defensive end Cameron Heyward back for their game in Baltimore. Both had missed multiple games with injuries.

Wide receiver Markus Wheaton, who practiced fully for the past two weeks while the Steelers were on a bye, was a surpising healthy scratch.

For Baltimore, wide receiver Steve Smith is active today and is expected to start.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20161106/roethlisberger_active_for_steelers_and_will_start_against_ravens#.WB9gFQkFzZ8.twitter

If Wheaton owns a house in Pittsburgh he should start researching real estate agents and movers

Yup, If I were him I would not ask Sammie Coates or DHB to help him move......they would drop all of his stuff and break it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ravens week (let's start drinking again)   Ravens week (let's start drinking again) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ravens week (let's start drinking again)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2