Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSome fans... Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Some fans...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Some fans... Empty
PostSubject: Some fans...   Some fans... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 2:52 am

Just reading on social media and some fans just drive me crazy. Two things I've noticed as of late:

1. Fans that absolutely hate Landry Jones and think he's going to get cut following the preseason matchup against the Packers.

This one is just ridiculous. Landry Jones isn't going anywhere. He's a decent backup, and he's shown numerous times that he can step in and play. He's the only one with real experience behind Ben. He's not going anywhere. I get that people don't like the guy because when he was drafted people expected the heir apparent. Turns out he's just a decent backup that knows the system. Nothing wrong with that. He's the best insurance we have right now behind Ben. Cutting him would be idiotic. We're not going to roll with a second year journeyman in Dobbs, or a rookie in Rudolph as our backups for the season...

2. Fans that believe Damoun Patterson is the next Antonio Brown.

I added Damoun as a friend on Facebook. Simply because I wanted to tell the young man that I am rooting for him, and that I hope he plays his way into a roster spot. Reading through the other comments on his personal facebook page though it is apparent some fans have already anointed him the second coming of Antonio Brown. There's one guy making hoodies with a cartoon character of Patterson on them. Countless others saying things like "see you in September", and "You'll be wrecking house with #84, and #19". Talk about getting ahead of yourselves. The kid has had some decent practices, and he had a pretty decent first preseason game with one very good catch. That's practice, and a preseason game people. He needs to be consistently good-great to make this roster. It's going to be tough beating out guys like Hunter and Heyward Bey who are veterans, and Bey at the very least is a good special teams player.

3. The fans that want to cut Le'Veon Bell right now.

Idiocy. While I myself can't stand Bell's offseason antics, and constant chatter about how much he thinks he's worth monetarily... I definitely don't think cutting him would help this team at this point. I think if you asked me about this a month or two ago maybe I'd be a little more on-board with cutting Bell, but let's think this one out. He's going to play under the franchise tag. It's essentially like a contract year for him, and he knows that he'll have to play lights out in order to maximize the amount of money a potential suitor (whether that's the Steelers or someone else) will offer him. Bell is probably the best, and most versatile back in the league. We're not going to just let that kind of production go easily. The Steelers have tried to come closer to Bell's asking price, and Colbert has made it known that the Steelers still want to try and sign Bell again following this season. Cutting him at this point, would just be silly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

Some fans... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some fans...   Some fans... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 5:55 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Just reading on social media and some fans just drive me crazy. Two things I've noticed as of late:

1. Fans that absolutely hate Landry Jones and think he's going to get cut following the preseason matchup against the Packers.

This one is just ridiculous. Landry Jones isn't going anywhere. He's a decent backup, and he's shown numerous times that he can step in and play. He's the only one with real experience behind Ben. He's not going anywhere. I get that people don't like the guy because when he was drafted people expected the heir apparent. Turns out he's just a decent backup that knows the system. Nothing wrong with that. He's the best insurance we have right now behind Ben. Cutting him would be idiotic. We're not going to roll with a second year journeyman in Dobbs, or a rookie in Rudolph as our backups for the season...

It would take either Dobbs or Rudolph playing lights out while Jones threw nothing but INTs the rest of the preseason and still I think Jones is the backup simply because he knows the system and has improved every year since he got here.

I added Damoun as a friend on Facebook. Simply because I wanted to tell the young man that I am rooting for him, and that I hope he plays his way into a roster spot. Reading through the other comments on his personal facebook page though it is apparent some fans have already anointed him the second coming of Antonio Brown. There's one guy making hoodies with a cartoon character of Patterson on them. Countless others saying things like "see you in September", and "You'll be wrecking house with #84, and #19". Talk about getting ahead of yourselves. The kid has had some decent practices, and he had a pretty decent first preseason game with one very good catch. That's practice, and a preseason game people. He needs to be consistently good-great to make this roster. It's going to be tough beating out guys like Hunter and Heyward Bey who are veterans, and Bey at the very least is a good special teams player.

Way to soon to annoint him. He has been impressive but let's see him first make the roster and second have a great season. After that we can talk about his "potential".

Idiocy. While I myself can't stand Bell's offseason antics, and constant chatter about how much he thinks he's worth monetarily... I definitely don't think cutting him would help this team at this point. I think if you asked me about this a month or two ago maybe I'd be a little more on-board with cutting Bell, but let's think this one out. He's going to play under the franchise tag. It's essentially like a contract year for him, and he knows that he'll have to play lights out in order to maximize the amount of money a potential suitor (whether that's the Steelers or someone else) will offer him. Bell is probably the best, and most versatile back in the league. We're not going to just let that kind of production go easily. The Steelers have tried to come closer to Bell's asking price, and Colbert has made it known that the Steelers still want to try and sign Bell again following this season. Cutting him at this point, would just be silly.

I'll admit before the preseason started if Bell had signed the Tag and they traded him I wouldn't have cared but cutting him would be beyond stupid. That would be like giving your 5 year old Corvette away for free because it was using to much gas.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Some fans... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some fans...   Some fans... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 6:54 am

solardave wrote:

I'll admit before the preseason started if Bell had signed the Tag and they traded him I wouldn't have cared but cutting him would be beyond stupid. That would be like giving your 5 year old Corvette away for free because it was using to much gas.

Yeah I agree, trading him I'd of definitely been on board with that, especially if we got some serious picks out of the deal. Cutting him though, no way. Just be neutering our offense for no good reason. Get the last year of production out of him, and then go from there. If he signs next year so be it, if not, let someone else pay his other-worldly asking price.

solardave

solardave

Some fans... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some fans...   Some fans... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 8:37 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:

Yeah I agree, trading him I'd of definitely been on board with that, especially if we got some serious picks out of the deal. Cutting him though, no way. Just be neutering our offense for no good reason. Get the last year of production out of him, and then go from there. If he signs next year so be it, if not, let someone else pay his other-worldly asking price.  

Some fans... 184121345 I'm pretty sure we agreed that if he moves on whoever signs him better have a really good line and receiving corp that can hold their blocks long enough for him to squirt through. Otherwise they'll be getting a good but not great RB. Our line doesn't get near the credit they deserve.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Some fans... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some fans...   Some fans... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 9:56 am

solardave wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:

Some fans... 184121345 I'm pretty sure we agreed that if he moves on whoever signs him better have a really good line and receiving corp that can hold their blocks long enough for him to squirt through. Otherwise they'll be getting a good but not great RB.  Our line doesn't get near the credit they deserve.

i agree Bell has solid offense around him with Haley gone the offense should be better the Steelers need one more year out of him so they can draft his replacement in next years draft. if the Steelers do let him go it would be after the last preseason game but the Steelers don't do players like that.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Some fans... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some fans...   Some fans... EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 5:51 am

effyou515 wrote:
solardave wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:

Some fans... 184121345 I'm pretty sure we agreed that if he moves on whoever signs him better have a really good line and receiving corp that can hold their blocks long enough for him to squirt through. Otherwise they'll be getting a good but not great RB.  Our line doesn't get near the credit they deserve.

i agree Bell has solid offense around him with Haley gone the offense should be better the Steelers need one more year out of him so they can draft his replacement in next years draft. if the Steelers do let him go it would be after the last preseason game but the Steelers don't do players like that.

Tell that to Franco Harris.

effyou515

effyou515

Some fans... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some fans...   Some fans... EmptyThu Aug 16, 2018 11:52 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:

[ let Jones play out the last year of his contract this year then let him walk. ]

[ I like this young WR at 6' 2" 190 lbs. got some speed and a good pair of hands. ]

[ Steelers need him this season, next draft the Steelers can use a 1st or 2nd pick to replace him. ]

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Some fans... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some fans...   Some fans... EmptySat Aug 18, 2018 7:04 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
solardave wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:

While I agree they did not take care of Franco it was closer to the end of his career than Bell is unless Bell blows out a knee again and that is always a possibility. As far as Bell and guaranteed money I think it would be foolish of the FO to sell the farm for this football player/entertainer. I always said if any sport deserved big bucks it's football but how much is enough?

Here is Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Harris
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Some fans... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some fans...   Some fans... EmptyTue Aug 21, 2018 2:00 am

solardave wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
solardave wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
solardave wrote:

While I agree they did not take care of Franco it was closer to the end of his career than Bell is unless Bell blows out a knee again and that is always a possibility. As far as Bell and guaranteed money I think it would be foolish of the FO to sell the farm for this football player/entertainer. I always said if any sport deserved big bucks it's football but how much is enough?

Here is Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Harris

I agree, no need to mortgage the farm on a running back. The position is too short lived to be paying a guy well out of market for his position. I think we should let Bell go next season, maybe look at a RB in the draft (Rodney Anderson out of Oklahoma or maybe David Montgomery out of Iowa State?), and see what we've got in James Conner. Conner got more lean this year, and looks more explosive. It's also been noted that he looks day-and-night different catching the ball when compared to last season. Conner might just be Bell's replacement, and maybe a guy like Samuels can be that threat to line up in the slot or out wide on occasion. Who knows? Either way, I don't want to see this team handicapping itself by overpaying for Bell.

Sponsored content

Some fans... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some fans...   Some fans... Empty

Back to top Go down

Some fans...
Page 1 of 1