Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeLet's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins

Go down 
+2
SteelerFreak58
Great Randino
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Great Randino

Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins Empty
PostSubject: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptySun Jan 23, 2022 2:56 pm

They just slapped an "original tender" on Dwayne Haskins. Yes, I had to read to figure out what that meant.

What it means is, $2.5 Million for Haskins next year. Another team would have to give up a First Round pick to snag him (hence the "original round" part, he was selected in the 1st round). So - ZERO chance he is going anywhere.

This makes me seriously doubt the Steelers will pick a QB this year. To me it signifies that they are going to roll with Haskins and Rudolph, both fighting it out for the starting role. I think it could change if Pickett fell in their laps, but that's not going to happen.

I saw a mock that had us taking Iowa's center, Linderbaum, in round 1. Not knowing a ton about him but I would be good with that, especially if he's the best Center in the draft.

Maybe they'd pick up Ridder in the 2nd if he were available, but I'm even starting to doubt that. Based on today's move, I think they will wait till 2023 to try and find their QB of the future - ala the Patriots** way where they took a flier for a year, built the roster first, and then picked up their guy of the future.

I would be good with that if they go that route.

Thoughts? C'mon folks who are smarter than me (that's probably most of you), let's hear your thoughts on this QB development, and on the future of the position.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptySun Jan 23, 2022 3:52 pm

Zero problem if they go with Ridolph, Haskins and a pick up like Winston or Mariotta. Build the line for Najee and get that running game going. Pick up a DL and ILB and a Corner in FA or draft shore up the D holes and Rudolph or Haskins can manage games. Rudolph and Haskins can make deep passes something Ben didn't have at all this year.

Rudolph or Haskins can get us 10 or 11 wins with a decent Oline for Najee.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptySun Jan 23, 2022 3:57 pm

My take:
Round 1: draft the best Center in college football (Linderbaum?)
Free Agency: spend $$$ to get one really good lineman. Move Green to where he belongs. Line should then be in good shape.

Round 2: Get a run stuffing SNACK. Possibly an ILB here too. But need a SNACK as well.
Free Agency: Pick up a CB. We suck at drafting them.

QB: Haskins vs Rudolph, and yes to another free agent if we can get them on the cheap. SF mentioned some strong possibilities.

Following year, IF Haskins/Rudolph aren't THE GUY (Which I hope they are but am not confident of that), pick up your QB of the future. It'll be a good draft for QB's.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptySun Jan 23, 2022 4:08 pm

Great Randino wrote:
My take:
Round 1:  draft the best Center in college football (Linderbaum?)
Free Agency:  spend $$$ to get one really good lineman.  Move Green to where he belongs.  Line should then be in good shape.

Round 2:  Get a run stuffing SNACK.  Possibly an ILB here too.  But need a SNACK as well.
Free Agency:  Pick up a CB.  We suck at drafting them.

QB:  Haskins vs Rudolph, and yes to another free agent if we can get them on the cheap.  SF mentioned some strong possibilities.

Following year, IF Haskins/Rudolph aren't THE GUY (Which I hope they are but am not confident of that), pick up your QB of the future.  It'll be a good draft for QB's.

We definitely need a run stuffing 1st and 2nd down true NT. Someone that is going to make running between the tackles an absolute mistake against the D. Take that aspect away from teams and we can start getting 3rd and longs for TJ, Highsmith and Heyward.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptySun Jan 23, 2022 5:04 pm

I am hoping they can snatch up Winston on the cheap him coming off of ACL surgery. His INT ratio has dropped yearly and this year he was playing really well for the Saints before he got hurt.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptySun Jan 23, 2022 9:06 pm

If they pick up Winston then they need to drop both Rudolph and Haskins. Because it would basically be saying these guys have no future and are never getting a chance.

Then pick up two more QB's on the cheap.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 4:25 am

I'd absolutely be on board with them drafting Linderbaum. I was arguing with a fella on Steelers Depot about Linderbaum because he thought that Linderbaum was too small. He's 290lbs, but it's a rock solid 290 and he could probably add a little more weight to his frame for the NFL. Though I don't think he needs to. He's a technician that doesn't make mental mistakes, plays to the whistle, has a high motor, and finishes blocks. He's athletic and boogies downfield to get blocks that most centers couldn't even dream about. I think he also has the positional flexibility to play G as well.

I think if he's available the Steelers should draft him and move Kendrick Green over to G which is his more natural position. Asking him to start at C was asking too much of a rookie that only had a handful of games experience playing C at the collegiate level. I like Green's aggressiveness, and his athleticism but he looked to be in way over his head playing C. I think putting him at G would take pressure off of him, and allow him to just play without having to try to think as much.

I'd probably take Linderbaum even if Pickett was available. I do think Pickett is the best QB available in this draft, but none of the other QBs in this draft are wowing me. Some of them might be serviceable but there's nobody that stands out above the rest. None of them make me feel like we should absolutely draft them in Round 1. The trenches are more important, you can draft a young QB like Pickett but if you don't have an o-line to protect the kid, it's not going to matter. If we don't get an O-Line together that can run block, what was the point of drafting Najee last season?

I agree with Freak as well, we need a run stuffer on the d-line. That needs to be a priority defensively. Tyson Alualu is a good player, but he's getting old and coming off a season ending injury. The depth behind him is mediocre at best. Drafting a young run-stuffing NT, and getting Stephon Tuitt back next season could really make a world of difference for this team defensively.

I think OT is also a position of need. Chuks isn't the answer at RT, he'd be a backup on most teams I think. Zach Banner can't stay healthy. I think Dan Moore did fine considering all that they asked of him, and they should continue to let him grow into the position, but I'd like to see them bring in someone to compete with Chuks whether it be through the draft, or via free agency.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 7:17 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I'd absolutely be on board with them drafting Linderbaum. I was arguing with a fella on Steelers Depot about Linderbaum because he thought that Linderbaum was too small. He's 290lbs, but it's a rock solid 290 and he could probably add a little more weight to his frame for the NFL. Though I don't think he needs to. He's a technician that doesn't make mental mistakes, plays to the whistle, has a high motor, and finishes blocks. He's athletic and boogies downfield to get blocks that most centers couldn't even dream about. I think he also has the positional flexibility to play G as well.

I think if he's available the Steelers should draft him and move Kendrick Green over to G which is his more natural position. Asking him to start at C was asking too much of a rookie that only had a handful of games experience playing C at the collegiate level. I like Green's aggressiveness, and his athleticism but he looked to be in way over his head playing C. I think putting him at G would take pressure off of him, and allow him to just play without having to try to think as much.

I'd probably take Linderbaum even if Pickett was available. I do think Pickett is the best QB available in this draft, but none of the other QBs in this draft are wowing me. Some of them might be serviceable but there's nobody that stands out above the rest. None of them make me feel like we should absolutely draft them in Round 1. The trenches are more important, you can draft a young QB like Pickett but if you don't have an o-line to protect the kid, it's not going to matter. If we don't get an O-Line together that can run block, what was the point of drafting Najee last season?

I agree with Freak as well, we need a run stuffer on the d-line. That needs to be a priority defensively. Tyson Alualu is a good player, but he's getting old and coming off a season ending injury. The depth behind him is mediocre at best. Drafting a young run-stuffing NT, and getting Stephon Tuitt back next season could really make a world of difference for this team defensively.

I think OT is also a position of need. Chuks isn't the answer at RT, he'd be a backup on most teams I think. Zach Banner can't stay healthy. I think Dan Moore did fine considering all that they asked of him, and they should continue to let him grow into the position, but I'd like to see them bring in someone to compete with Chuks whether it be through the draft, or via free agency.

The way you describe Linderbaum reminds me of Dermonti Dawson. If we draft Pickett without first addressing the Oline I think that would be an epic failure.
As far as a run stuffing NT what do you guys think of Adams filling that role? He did pretty good against the run this year and I think he has yet to peak.
I don't like Chuks either and think he is a liability. So we pick up someone like this guy:https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/germain-ifedi-18979/

IowaSteeler927 likes this post

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 8:51 am

solardave wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

The way you describe Linderbaum reminds me of Dermonti Dawson. If we draft Pickett without first addressing the Oline I think that would be an epic failure.
As far as a run stuffing NT what do you guys think of Adams filling that role? He did pretty good against the run this year and I think he has yet to peak.
I don't like Chuks either and think he is a liability. So we pick up someone like this guy:https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/germain-ifedi-18979/

Adams is an excellent player who, unfortunately, was signed to a 1 year contract and is now an UFA. I would definitely try to keep him and maybe save the draft pick for another position. Here's a clip from Moats covering Adams:

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 11:35 am

solardave wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Adam's could be the answer between Heyward and Tuiit. They just need to be damn sure Tuiit gets his mind and body right to come back and be ready to play.  We could get Adam's on a really cheap contract for a few years too. I thought he did a great job coming in and filling the role.

kirklandrules likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 4:59 pm

I guess my thought on Winston at this point is this: If the Saints value him, then they will pay him and keep him. And if they don't value him - it would make me wonder why. So, I don't see us getting him on the cheap, unless there are issues with him in which case we probably don't want him.

You are right though, SF, about his numbers, they did improve this year.

He's only 28, so he still has some tread on the tires. But I just don't see him in Pittsburgh. I see the Steelers either: 1. Rolling with Rudolph and/or Haskins (but probably Rudolph). or 2. drafting a QB high.

And in this down year for QB's, I don't know if I'd see a 2nd rounder as a strong option. I could be wrong though. I still Ridder has talent and could be available in the 2nd. We still might be better off fulfilling other needs in round 2 though.

I also saw a recent mock draft (which are worthless but still) which had us grabbing Malik Willis in the first. And he gives off DeShone Kizer vibes for me. So, I sincerely hope not.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 8:19 am

Steelers are in love with Sam Howell. Watch out if he's still there at 20.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 1:45 pm

I just read an article on teams who should avoid Sam Howell.

Cleveland
Pittsburgh
New Orleans

Sounds like he can throw deep but not quick and short.

I am hoping the love fades like a first date.

Last edited by Great Randino on Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : oops misspelling)
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 2:03 pm

I'm split on Howell. Prior to this season, I would have loved the idea he would go to the Steelers. This prior season seemed to be a step back for him. From what I've heard, his receivers were not that good and I suspect he ran far more  because of those receivers.

I was at his game against Miami. Have to confess, if Canada wants a mobile QB, Howell looked the part in that game. He's from the Charlotte area so I was able to watch a few of his high school games. The highlights from the Miami game below are very much what I saw from his high school days. The last play was amazing. Does this fit Canada's scheme?

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 2:56 pm

You could say, if we're going to draft a QB in the first (instead of that center), that QB better be able to run!

He certainly looks mobile from that clip.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 3:50 pm

It will be a huge mistake to get a QB without addressing the oline. Making that kid run for his life and not trust his linemen ruins top rated rookie QBs. Cleveland went through 27 QBs most of them first rounders that got ruined because they never gave them a decent oline.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 4:18 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
It will be a huge mistake to get a QB without addressing the oline. Making that kid run for his life and not trust his linemen ruins top rated rookie QBs. Cleveland went through 27 QBs most of them first rounders that got ruined because they never gave them a decent oline.
Exactly.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 5:48 pm

Howell gives me "Baker Mayfield lite" vibes.

Personally I'd much rather have the best center in college football in round one, and wait a year to get a "next Pat Mahomes" type QB.

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 8:03 pm

1. CENTER
2. RT
3. ILB
4.Best Player Available

Sign a Guard in FA. Cut Shoebert, Banner, Haeg and you save 15 million in cap space right there. Added to the projected 41million the Steelers are supposed to have that is 56 million in cap space to resign Minkha and bring in some quality talent in areas of need.

I think we sign Montravius Adam's for NG. Got to figure out Tuiit if he is gonna come back or we cut him. If so we need to sign a proven DL or draft one.  Sign a proven quality ILB coming off a rookie 5 year. Resign Haden to a 2 year incentive based contract that is team friendly. He played well for us or go and get a proven replacement with cap money.

Sign Edmunds replacement or draft a SS to replace. Keep him if he signs a team friendly deal he knows the system and got better over time. He isn't great but he isn't terrible either.

Target Winston, Mariotta, or possibly Carr. Depending on what kind of money they are looking for. Mariotta would be the cheapest of all 3.

Trade Claypool for a 2nd and 3rd rounder minimum more if they have someone crazy enough to pay out better.... Philly has 3 first rounders in this next draft dangle Claypool out there to them see if they bite on a first rounder for him...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/stillcurtain.com/2022/01/24/3-easy-cuts-steelers-15-million-cap-space/amp/

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 10:25 pm

I like what you've done there. I couldn't argue with much of any of it (well - maybe a little - it IS a forum after all Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins 1f604 )

Totally into going Center #1. If there's a big separation between the top Center and the 2nd, I'd consider moving ahead of Philly. But I don't know the breakdown on them.

Get the Best Player at the position though.

Question though: is Banner Bad, or just injury prone?

I'm still liking your idea of trading Claypool. I don't think they will do it but I'd be all in on it.

I'm still not a fan of Winston. But we've discussed that before.

I would only sign an FA QB it its on the cheap. I wouldn't invest $20M or more on one. I just think our team is still a year away, and why waste the $$ on one.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 8:02 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
1. CENTER
2. RT
3. ILB
4.Best Player Available

Sign a Guard in FA. Cut Shoebert, Banner, Haeg and you save 15 million in cap space right there. Added to the projected 41million the Steelers are supposed to have that is 56 million in cap space to resign Minkha and bring in some quality talent in areas of need.

I think we sign Montravius Adam's for NG. Got to figure out Tuiit if he is gonna come back or we cut him. If so we need to sign a proven DL or draft one.  Sign a proven quality ILB coming off a rookie 5 year. Resign Haden to a 2 year incentive based contract that is team friendly. He played well for us or go and get a proven replacement with cap money.

Sign Edmunds replacement or draft a SS to replace. Keep him if he signs a team friendly deal he knows the system and got better over time. He isn't great but he isn't terrible either.

Target Winston, Mariotta, or possibly Carr. Depending on what kind of money they are looking for. Mariotta would be the cheapest of all 3.

Trade Claypool for a 2nd and 3rd rounder minimum more if they have someone crazy enough to pay out better.... Philly has 3 first rounders in this next draft dangle Claypool out there to them see if they bite on a first rounder for him...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/stillcurtain.com/2022/01/24/3-easy-cuts-steelers-15-million-cap-space/amp/

You make sense . I don't think Claypool gets traded either. I can see us without Banner,Schobert and Haig. I thought Edmunds played well this year. Maybe his best so far but has he peaked? h
Honestly the only one of the 3 QBs you mentioned that I like is Carr and I think we'd have to over pay for him. As far as Adams I say sign him to a 2-3 year deal.I think we could lock up a NT with a good upside there. I would say to shop Bush but he seemed to be waking up the last 2 games. I think if Linderbaum is there we take him #1. I saw a mock that shows the Rats taking him just before us.

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 12:14 pm

Great Randino wrote:
I like what you've done there.  I couldn't argue with much of any of it (well - maybe a little - it IS a forum after all  Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins 1f604 )

Totally into going Center #1.  If there's a big separation between the top Center and the 2nd, I'd consider moving ahead of Philly.  But I don't know the breakdown on them.

Question though:  is Banner Bad, or just injury prone?

I'm still liking your idea of trading Claypool.  I don't think they will do it but I'd be all in on it.

I'm still not a fan of Winston.  But we've discussed that before.  

I would only sign an FA QB it its on the cheap.  I wouldn't invest $20M or more on one.  I just think our team is still a year away, and why waste the $$ on one.

Banner could be great but we haven't seen anything and he is hurt at the price they payed him he isn't worth the money he didn't play. Can't be paying him that kind of money for sitting on the bench.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 2:42 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
I like what you've done there.  I couldn't argue with much of any of it (well - maybe a little - it IS a forum after all  Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins 1f604 )

Totally into going Center #1.  If there's a big separation between the top Center and the 2nd, I'd consider moving ahead of Philly.  But I don't know the breakdown on them.

Question though:  is Banner Bad, or just injury prone?

I'm still liking your idea of trading Claypool.  I don't think they will do it but I'd be all in on it.

I'm still not a fan of Winston.  But we've discussed that before.  

I would only sign an FA QB it its on the cheap.  I wouldn't invest $20M or more on one.  I just think our team is still a year away, and why waste the $$ on one.

Banner could be great but we haven't seen anything and he is hurt at the price they payed him he isn't worth the money he didn't play. Can't be paying him that kind of money for sitting on the bench.

His base next year is 5mil. Cap hit 6.625.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/zach-banner-21879/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins   Let's Talk QB's!  Steelers keeping Haskins Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's Talk QB's! Steelers keeping Haskins
Page 1 of 1