Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeGrading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers   Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:36 pm

July, 6, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

All this week, the AFC North blog has taken a look back at the 2009 draft for each team in the division. For Friday, we'll wrap up the draft reviews with the Pittsburgh Steelers:

First round: Ziggy Hood, DE

Third round: Kraig Urbik, G, Mike Wallace, WR, and Keenan Lewis, CB

Fifth round: Joe Burnett, DB, Frank Summers, RB

Sixth round: Ra'Shon Harris, DT

Seventh round: A.Q. Shipley, C, and David Johnson, TE

Thumbs up: The Steelers came away with one of the steals of the 2009 draft by getting Wallace at the 84th pick. He was the 11th wide receiver taken in this draft after the likes of Darrius Heyward-Bey (Raiders), Mohamed Massaquoi (Browns), Brian Robiskie (Browns), Derrick Williams (Lions) and Brandon Tate (Patriots*). Wallace's 3,206 yards receiving are the second-most by an active wide receiver in his first three seasons (ranks only behind Anquan Boldin). Hood has quietly stepped up as a starter the past two years when Aaron Smith was injured. Some suggest he's been a disappointment. Hood was the lowest graded 3-4 defensive end, according to Pro Football Focus. The Steelers have gotten some use out of Johnson, who could become the team's fullback this season.

(Read More:) http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/50551/grading-2009-draft-pittsburgh-steelers

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A pretty fair assessment thus far, but I think it may have been 1 year premature. We will find out for sure this season how good this draft was. Hood will likely replace Aaron Smith as a starter, Lewis is the favorite to replace Gay, and David Johnson gets a crack at full-time FB duties. This draft could look real good real quick if those 3 succeed in their new roles this season. Couple that with Wallace and the fact that Urbik has developed into a good o-lineman and it doesn't seem like a bad draft class at all.

Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers   Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 9:20 pm

I was trying to post this on SF but it wouldn't let me post, so SX is getting it:

Lewis deserves to be in the thumbs up category. It's not unreasonable for a mid- to late- 3rd rounder to take into his third year to start contributing significantly - and he did, logging over 500 snaps I believe while manning the outside corner spot. He also secured a game-clinching interception and led the league in YAC allowed.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers   Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
I was trying to post this on SF but it wouldn't let me post, so SX is getting it:

Lewis deserves to be in the thumbs up category. It's not unreasonable for a mid- to late- 3rd rounder to take into his third year to start contributing significantly - and he did, logging over 500 snaps I believe while manning the outside corner spot. He also secured a game-clinching interception and led the league in YAC allowed.

I agree. He's been great for us, and he's a piece of our future in the secondary.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers   Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:57 am

Dodens Grav wrote:

First of all, thanks for the sloppy seconds. Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers 1392824647

Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers 1797695198

But yeah, I agree with you on Lewis. I think there's a reason they didn't make much of an effort (or any effort at all) to re-sign Gay. I'm excited to see what Lewis does this year.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers   Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:38 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Dodens Grav wrote:

First of all, thanks for the sloppy seconds. Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers 1392824647

Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers 1797695198

But yeah, I agree with you on Lewis. I think there's a reason they didn't make much of an effort (or any effort at all) to re-sign Gay. I'm excited to see what Lewis does this year.

I agree. The FO must feel pretty confident in Lewis (Brown or Allen) to have let Gay walk after his best season with us. I have a good feeling about our young CBs. I believe the team does too.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers   Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1