Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home"Eight Men Out" Film Review Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

"Eight Men Out" Film Review

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mcg24

mcg24

"Eight Men Out" Film Review Empty
PostSubject: "Eight Men Out" Film Review   "Eight Men Out" Film Review EmptyWed May 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Back again!

I reviewed the 1988 film about the Chicago Black Sox Scandal "Eight Men Out". Pretty good film, really gave me a better understanding about what went on. Check out the first couple paragraphs of my review below, and click on the link below this paragraph for the full review! As always for those who have seen it, what did you think of the movie?

http://frozenshackfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2011/05/eight-men-out-1988-5252011.html

Quote :
I'm a huge sports fan. I can't get enough baseball, football, or hockey to last me a life time. There's simply nothing better than the crack of the bat, the ring of the goal post, or the thud of a gut wrenching hit. Sports movies however.....simply don't do it for me. The endless cliches and predictability usually ruin the genre for me. Of course, sports movies aren't exactly pumped out by the studios, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I digress.

Eight Men Out is the story of the 1919 Chicago White Sox that threw the World Series in retaliation to their cheap owner, Charles Comiskey. It was clear that not every single player was on board with the idea, especially Shortstop Buck Weaver. Much of the story is told from his perspective, and he really is the only protagonist we have throughout the entire film. John Cusack does a great job as Weaver, and he seemed to be the only actor that really stuck out to me. I was quite impressed with Cusack and Charlie Sheen in the field, they looked like old school ballplayers out there. The settings are beautiful though. Old Comiskey park looks perfect, and the costumes and surroundings of early 1900s Chicago are mesmerizing.

Thanks for reading!

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: "Eight Men Out" Film Review   "Eight Men Out" Film Review EmptySun May 29, 2011 12:35 pm

I saw that movie when it first came out. Yoi, I just set myself up for the "old man" jokes again. "Eight Men Out" Film Review 1505004552
I remember liking it, but I really don't remember too much about it. I'll have to revisit it.

I think it's great that you're going back to some older movies rather than just focusing on new releases. Every generation tends to think that what they have is the best, and everything that came before them sucked. You have an appreciation for films that were made before you were even born. That's rare for someone your age. "Eight Men Out" Film Review 230572241

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
mcg24

mcg24

PostSubject: Re: "Eight Men Out" Film Review   "Eight Men Out" Film Review EmptyTue May 31, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks for the kind words Wally! Maybe it's time to revisit it, it's one of the better sports movies out there.

C'mon....you aren't that old...

"Eight Men Out" Film Review 1797695198

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: "Eight Men Out" Film Review   "Eight Men Out" Film Review EmptyTue May 31, 2011 11:51 pm

mcg24 wrote:
C'mon....you aren't that old...

"Eight Men Out" Film Review 1797695198

Thank you, sonny. Now GET OFF MY LAWN. "Eight Men Out" Film Review Old

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Eight Men Out" Film Review   "Eight Men Out" Film Review Empty

Back to top Go down

"Eight Men Out" Film Review
Page 1 of 1