Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeHall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85 Empty
PostSubject: Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85   Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85 EmptySun May 12, 2013 3:42 am

Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85 Jack_Butler

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Jack Butler, who helped revolutionize the way cornerbacks played in the NFL during his Hall of Fame career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, died Saturday after a lengthy battle with a staph infection. He was 85.

Butler's son John said his father's heart stopped suddenly Saturday morning. The elder Butler had spent the last several months in the hospital dealing with a staph infection that plagued him since his career ended in 1959.

"It had been a long road," John Butler said. "It wasn't completely out of the blue."

Unlike Butler's professional career.

The Pittsburgh native played wide receiver at St. Bonaventure and was planning on returning to school to get his master's degree when he received a phone call from Steelers business manager Fran Fogarty in the summer of 1951. To be honest, Butler assumed Fogarty had the wrong number.

"I didn't know anything about professional football," Butler said.

It didn't matter. Over the next nine years, Butler became one of the NFL's top defensive backs, a 6-1, 200-pound force known for his physical play and uncanny knack for getting to the ball.

READ MORE: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/05/11/jack-butler-steelers-dies-cornerback-hall-of-fame/2152831/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85   Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85 EmptySun May 12, 2013 6:38 am

R.I.P. Jack. Thanks for all you've done for the league.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85   Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85 EmptySun May 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85 1283067935

hall of fame in the sky.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85   Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 9:24 pm

May he rest in peace. I'm glad I was able to watch his induction into the HOF and I'm glad I was able to learn about him.

PostSubject: Re: Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85   Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hall of Fame cornerback Jack Butler dies at 85
Page 1 of 1