Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMy Italian Steelers Experience (Xtreme Commentary) Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

My Italian Steelers Experience (Xtreme Commentary)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

My Italian Steelers Experience (Xtreme Commentary) Empty
PostSubject: My Italian Steelers Experience (Xtreme Commentary)   My Italian Steelers Experience (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 8:00 am

By Whyant5
Steelers Xtreme
I was recently in Italy for 2 weeks, and about the only thing I put on the itinerary (besides a gondola ride) was finding a place to watch the Steelers game. Now over there, their form of "football" is some sort of sport where they kick around a little white ball and the players spend a lot of their time flopping about on the ground like a fish out of water, so I knew that finding an American football game on TV would be a challenge.  

When we arrived in Rome (which is where we would be for the game), the first thing I did was some investigation about where I could watch the game on Sunday. On our way back from lunch, we saw a Hard Rock Cafe, and I thought to myself, "Bingo, I found the spot to go, and it's a few blocks away from our hotel."  We went in and asked if they would be showing American football on Sunday, and I was informed that they would not. At this point, I'm thinking to myself: "If a Hard Rock Cafe isn't going to have American football on TV, I have 0 percent chance of catching this game." Fortunately, the staff pointed out a few places to watch the game: an Irish pub and a college pub, which were near the Colosseum and would include a dreaded ride on the subway, meaning I would not want to enjoy libations for safety reasons. I was a bit bummed but still happy that I would be able to watch my Steelers on Sunday.

Sunday rolls around and the first thing I do is put on my Steelers jersey. Game time wasn't until 7 p.m., but I was going to wear my colors proud. As we walked around and saw the sights of Rome, we probably passed tens of thousands of people. I did not see a single piece of NFL gear. No hats, shirts, shorts, pants, shoes, or book bags sporting an NFL team. I was honestly VERY surprised. I did get two comments as we walked about: one was from a restaurant host who was trying to get us to dine at his restaurant in which he said, "I like the Steelers," and the second was from a guy who was walking in the streets to which he said, "Steelers fan, eh?"  I turned around and confirmed I was a Steelers fan, and he asked where I would be watching the game. I told him about the two other bars that were recommended to me. He informed me of one that is very near where we currently were (which was significantly closer to our hotel than the other two). He said it was a younger crowd and that they would have beer pong. I'm not big on mixing football and beer pong, but the ol' saying "When in Rome" popped in my head. My wife and I did some research back at the hotel and it appeared to be a legitimate bar as far as being reliable and playing the games.  

We made our way, on foot, to the bar. It was a very difficult place to get to, and there was no big sign out front indicating where it was. We entered and had to walk down into the basement. Once down there, I located the bar manager, and he said they would have the Steelers game on a "half of a half" of a TV. Not ideal, but it was better than nothing. We ordered our drinks and made our way into the room where the game would be on. There were no seats left besides a couch along the side of the TV with no table. Again, not ideal, but I was happy to have a beer in my hand and the Steelers on TV. Most of the fans in the room were Bears fans, but one gal was a Steelers fan.

The bar manager came in and decided to rearrange the room to allow for better seating, which means we got to move to a prime location: right in front of the TV and with a table. Situation improved. We began chatting with her and her boyfriend, and we came to find out that she was originally from Pittsburgh and that she was in London going to university and he was from the UK. She is a lifelong Steelers fan and still religiously followed them, and he is a Packers fan. So now my situation has improved a second time; I've got a beer, a table, the Steelers on TV, and an ally for the game.  

So the games begin and there are three games showing on TV. The fourth square is black, and that is the one that the Steelers were supposed to be on. At this point, we were thinking: no big deal, the game hasn't started yet. Then we see along the top that the score was Steelers 2, Titans 0. Panic set in. How did we score 2 points and why didn't we get to see it? We let some time pass to allow for technical difficulties to work themselves out. After about 3 minutes, the Lions game fills the once black box. Confused, I walked up to the bar manager to inquire about the Steelers game. He very rudely asked why I wasn't at the Steelers bar if I wanted to watch the game. I replied, "I didn't know there was one, and I have a beer."  He said he would not be changing the Lions game (to which I cheered loudly when Adrian Peterson ran the touchedown even though the Lions are my second favorite team, because a Lions fan at the bar chirped up about the Steelers bar in a condescending way). We grudgingly paid our tab and made our way to the Steelers bar.

We walked into the Steelers bar, and I stopped dead in my tracks. I couldn't believe my eyes: this bar was packed wall to wall with Steelers fans. Sporting jerseys, T-shirts, hats, everything. There was Steelers gear all over the walls, there was a Jesus with a Steelers helmet on, and the Steelers were the solo game on a big-screen TV. We wedged our way in and ordered drinks. The people around us began chatting with us. Everyone was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the Steelers. We had an absolutely fantastic time (despite the result of the game). I even tried to make a few plugs for SteelersXtreme while I was over there because one guy said he learned about the bar online, so I asked if he was a part of any forums. I noticed that the bar patrons were buying a shirt from the bar, so I had to investigate. It reads on the front: VENI LUSI VICI (I came I played I conquered) IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII, and on the back it has a picture of Italy, and the shirt is black and gold. I will try to put up pictures if I can ever figure it out.

There were pictures of the bar owner with Franco Harris and other Steelers players, signed memorabilia, and an article from a Pittsburgh newspaper ran about the bar. Turns out, the bartender goes to Pittsburgh every Thanksgiving. The bar is called La Botticella, and the website is www.romannightlife.com/labotticella.

An incredible experience, and because of it, I was the least upset about a loss than I ever have been.

© Steelers Xtreme 2013

Wallace108

My Italian Steelers Experience (Xtreme Commentary) Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Italian Steelers Experience (Xtreme Commentary)   My Italian Steelers Experience (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 11:04 am

Nice commentary, Weebles. My Italian Steelers Experience (Xtreme Commentary) 230572241 

That sucks that you missed the one bright spot in the game, but it sounds like you still had a great time. At the end of the day, that's what is important.

Oh, and thanks for the plug. My Italian Steelers Experience (Xtreme Commentary) 1664291743 

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/

My Italian Steelers Experience (Xtreme Commentary)
Page 1 of 1