Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator

Go down 
+8
Hawaii 5-0
solardave
Gingerchip
kirklandrules
SteelersYak
Drizztbob
stlrtruck
Wallace108
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator Empty
PostSubject: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 3:06 pm

Quote :
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today named linebackers coach Keith Butler as their new defensive coordinator, replacing Dick LeBeau.

Butler met Monday with Coach Mike Tomlin at the team’s South Side facility and finalized a three-year contract that moved him into the role handled by LeBeau for the past 11 seasons.

Butler, 58, has been the team’s linebackers coach since 2003 and has long been considered the heir apparent to LeBeau.

“It’s the dream of a lifetime,” Butler said. “There are only 32 of these jobs on this Earth. I am excited about the opportunity and I look forward to getting this process started immediately.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/01/13/Steelers-Butler-named-defensive-coordinator-LeBeau/stories/201501130161

Well, this is certainly no surprise. The question is who replaces Butler ... Olsavsky or Porter?

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 3:48 pm

Well good, I hope he can learn to make in-game adjustments and bring the freaking pain when it needs to be brought.

I say Olsavsky gets the nod over Porter.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 5:31 pm

I'm hoping he can bring some new looks to this defensive unit and not just a regurgitated Lebeau 2.0. We need some fresh ideas and incorporating a hybrid 4-3 here and there would NOT be a bad thing.

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 3:09 am

Drizztbob wrote:
I'm hoping he can bring some new looks to this defensive unit and not just a regurgitated Lebeau 2.0.  We need some fresh ideas and incorporating a hybrid 4-3 here and there would NOT be a bad thing.

Everyone keeps insisting we're not going to see a big change in the defense (such as going 4-3). Obviously, I have no clue ... but I'm not as confident as almost everyone else that some kind of change isn't in the plans. It's more of a gut feeling than anything else.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 7:13 am

I think some of the old guys will see less/no playing time. Butler's gotta know that there is a high expectation for him and some big shoes to fill. Question is: how long is the leash for this guy since he has been with the Steelers since 2003 (unlike Haley)

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 9:32 am

SteelersYak wrote:
I Question is:  how long is the leash for this guy since he has been with the Steelers since 2003 (unlike Haley)

That leash will be as long as his success. He has a somewhat tough job because that defense was playing better at the end of the season, so the expectation is it will be even better next year.

Wallace108 wrote:
Everyone keeps insisting we're not going to see a big change in the defense (such as going 4-3). Obviously, I have no clue ... but I'm not as confident as almost everyone else that some kind of change isn't in the plans. It's more of a gut feeling than anything else.

There were plenty of statements that indicated the Steelers defense played in the base 3-4 a minority of the time the past few years. Any time someone mentioned the need to draft a NT in the 1st round, the answer always came back to the stats around the base 3-4 not being the primary package it used to be. Here's a blurb from Butler on the subject (same article that Wally posted above, just a quote halfway down):

"I would consider myself a whatever-it-takes-to-win guy,” Butler said. “If it’s a 3-4, that’s fine, if that fits your players. I think you have to be able to fit your defense around the players you have. With what offenses are doing nowadays in the National Football League, they’re playing a lot of three wide receivers and a tight end and a running back, for the most part. In those situations, we’re going to be in kind of a 4-3 anyway, but we’re still going to be able to run the 3-4, also. It gives you a little bit more versatility, I think.

“I also think there’s still a place for the 3-4, and the reason I think there’s still a place for it is because you also have to be versatile as a defense as offenses are trying to be versatile. So, we don’t want to blow it up and say we won’t run the 3-4 anymore. We will run the 3-4, but we will run some 4-3 also in our sub-package."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/01/13/Steelers-Butler-named-defensive-coordinator-LeBeau/stories/201501130161
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Based on the quotes you just posted... I like the guy's attitude already. Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 469886443

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 12:13 am

Like Wally said, no surprise here.

Since we are most likely going to draft some D players this year and our vets are most likely not coming back, he is going to have a lot of raw talent to work with. I love LeBeau and it's going to be strange not seeing him on the sidelines, but maybe this was the right time to clean house.

I think it is going to be exciting to see what he does with the rookies and second year players, like Shazier, that didn't see a lot of time on the field.

Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator We_bel10
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 2:51 am

I never thought I'd say a 58 yr old man would bring youth to our defense.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 10:30 am

solardave wrote:
Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 2573146105 Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 2573146105 Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 2573146105
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyThu Jan 15, 2015 2:33 pm

solardave wrote:

58 is the new 38

Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator We_bel10
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 3:47 pm

Gingerchip wrote:
solardave wrote:

58 is the new 38

That makes me 39 and Smilin'. Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 1797695198
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 8:54 pm

solardave wrote:
Gingerchip wrote:
solardave wrote:

58 is the new 38

That makes me 39 and Smilin'. Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 1797695198

That means I'm going to be 24 this year! AWESOME-SAUCE.

Now to convince the wife we can party it up til the break of down on my b-day.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 9:04 pm

stlrtruck wrote:

Partying at your age, "break down" is a distinct possibility. Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 1797695198

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 5:08 am

Wallace108 wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

Partying at your age, "break down" is a distinct possibility. Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 1797695198

I hate editors. Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 2625562446

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 7:07 am

Wallace108 wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 2573146105 Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 2573146105
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 6:50 pm

the Steelers twice only had 10 men on the field, once it was supposed to be Shark and the other time Cortez.

that's usually the responsibility of the defensive coordinator and/or the position coach to send players in and out and to ensure there are 11 players on the field.

FIRE LAKE!

FIRE BUTLER!!
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 7:23 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
the Steelers twice only had 10 men on the field, once it was supposed to be Shark and the other time Cortez.

that's usually the responsibility of the defensive coordinator and/or the position coach to send players in and out and to ensure there are 11 players on the field.

FIRE LAKE!

FIRE BUTLER!!
the position Coach being upstairs and calling those changes in over the headsets. People keep acting like the headsets going out werent an issue.

You can't use hand signals from up in the booth.

. .
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptySat Sep 12, 2015 9:35 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

FIRE LAKE!

FIRE BUTLER!!

I'm not usually a "fire someone guy" but you may be on to something with Lake. Yes he was a great player but I haven't seen anything to make me think he is even a good coach.

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptySun Sep 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Dick LeBeau had a nice start in Tennessee. His defense didn't make Jameis Winston or Tom Brady "look like the next Joe Montana.". Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 2087824411

. .
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptySun Sep 13, 2015 10:00 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

FIRE LAKE!

FIRE BUTLER!!
the position Coach being upstairs and calling those changes in over the headsets. People keep acting like the headsets going out werent an issue.

You can't use hand signals from up in the booth.
bud adams says you're wrong

Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator Doublebird
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptySun Sep 13, 2015 11:15 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Dick LeBeau had a nice start in Tennessee. His defense didn't make Jameis Winston or Tom Brady "look like the next Joe Montana.". Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator 2087824411

LeBeau is not the Titans' DC, he's only an "advisor"...
Back to top Go down
Chaotic Zen
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 11:38 am

tony hipchest wrote:

Also, Winston is hot garbage.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator EmptyThu Jan 07, 2016 11:57 pm

Keith Butler Admits He Needed To Be More Aggressive

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/keith-butler-admits-he-needed-to-be-more-aggressive/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator   Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers name Keith Butler defensive coordinator
Page 1 of 1