Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeKeith Butler retiring Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Keith Butler retiring

Go down 
+6
Mach1
kirklandrules
SteelerFreak58
solardave
effyou515
Great Randino
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Great Randino

Keith Butler retiring Empty
PostSubject: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyWed Jan 19, 2022 1:23 pm

Tomlin confirmed it in a press conference.

Will they promote Teryl Austin or look outside?
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyWed Jan 19, 2022 2:12 pm

sounds better then being let go. Keith Butler retiring 1797695198

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyWed Jan 19, 2022 2:12 pm

They will go cheap and promote from within.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyWed Jan 19, 2022 2:13 pm

Ha ha, yeah I remember Arians "retiring" too. 11 years ago. And of course, the great Dick LeBeau. Who also unretired to coach elsewhere.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyWed Jan 19, 2022 4:20 pm

Austin will be promoted. Doesn't really matter Tomlin calls the defense from the rumors that are being told.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyWed Jan 19, 2022 4:26 pm

“Butts has had conversations about this potentially being his last year”

Austin impresses me because he was successful as the DC with Detroit and the good work that team turned in. I love coaches who exceed expectations on otherwise poor teams. He's had huge success as a secondary coach with multiple teams and earned a SB ring with the Ravens when the Ravens were shutting teams down. Given a huge part of defense is stopping the pass, it makes sense to have a DC with excellent secondary experience.

I almost think the bigger question about Butler leaving is who will step into his role as the OLB coach? I suggested in another thread that they might promote Denzel Martin from assistant OLB coach to the fulltime job. He doesn't quite have the pedigree to be the man and only the coaching staff really knows how much he was responsible for the success of the current OLBs.

effyou515 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 6:24 pm

I see Baltimore fired Wink Martindale. What do you think of him as possibility?
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 7:49 pm

Martindale is a good DC but it will be Austin. Tomlin is really the DC for the team all things considered so it doesn't really matter who is the DC.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 8:01 pm

I like what Kirkland wrote about Austin. Sounds like he's the guy.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 9:24 pm

Steelers defensive coordinator Keith Butler announces retirement

Quote :
After 19 seasons on the Pittsburgh Steelers’ staff and the past seven as defensive coordinator, Keith Butler announced his retirement from coaching Saturday, Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.

In a statement released by the team, Butler thanked the Rooney family, head coaches Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin as well as the scores of other coaches and players he has worked alongside since taking over as Steelers linebackers coach in 2003.

https://theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/20536/Steelers-defensive-coordinator-Keith-Butler-announces-retirement

From age 47 to retirement he worked for 1 team 2003 to 2021 those teams went to the playoffs 12 time and won 2 Superbowls couldn't ask for a better job and team to work for to finish out your career.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 8:27 am

Great Randino wrote:
I see Baltimore fired Wink Martindale.  What do you think of him as possibility?

He's a strong coordinator for sure. His 2021 season was somewhat similar to Butlers in that he lost some key talent and the defense suffered. I couldn't find a real reason for his exit other than the fluff that the Ravens put out.

The Steelers requested to interview Patrick Graham (Giant's DC). That's an interesting move and I like that he's a younger guy (not that youth should be a big requirement). Graham is looking to take the HC job with the Giants, so it will be fun to watch how that unfolds.

I suspect the Steelers will end up promoting Austin. The Graham situation is nothing more than kicking the tires on alternatives.
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 10:22 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Austin will be promoted. Doesn't really matter Tomlin calls the defense from the rumors that are being told.

Who's going to want a DC job where they don't call the plays?
The lazy thing to do is promote from within and not put in any due diligence interviewing whats out there.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 11:18 am

Mach1 wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

Who's going to want a DC job where they don't call the plays?
The lazy thing to do is promote from within and not put in any due diligence interviewing whats out there.

Better pay and resume experience/time for future employment? All I know is that through various news sources last year and this year the word out is Tomlin basically calls the defense and has for a while. Austin being promoted from within is the Steeler standard... the next sacrificial lamb if the D can't turn things around.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyWed Feb 09, 2022 9:07 pm

SF you were right. Austin promoted to DC.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyWed Feb 09, 2022 10:23 pm

Great Randino wrote:
SF you were right.  Austin promoted to DC.

Tomlins next scapegoat.
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyThu Feb 10, 2022 11:53 am

If just once this team went outside the organization to hire someone itd be a fucking miracle.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyThu Feb 10, 2022 2:34 pm

I understand your concern about hiring from within - but he's only been with us a couple seasons. This is his 11th stop, and as Kirkland points out, he's done a good job getting a lot out of the teams he's been with. So, I have my hopes that he will do well.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyFri Feb 11, 2022 2:43 am

Is it to early to start the "Fire Austin" thread? Keith Butler retiring 1797695198 If we fill in the gaps this off season I think we'll come back strong next year. I hope Bush gets his head out of his ass so all we need is a compliment on the inside and I hope they lock up Adams to a longer contract. I think he can be special.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyFri Feb 11, 2022 9:28 am

Shalieve5090 wrote:
If just once this team went outside the organization to hire someone itd be a fucking miracle.

They just did with the WR coach. Austin is basically a hire from the outside as he's only a couple of years with our team. He's a coach since 1991 and only with the Steelers since 2019.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 3:02 am

Stella Nation wrote:
Shalieve5090 wrote:

They just did with the WR coach. Austin is basically a hire from the outside as he's only a couple of years with our team. He's a coach since 1991 and only with the Steelers since 2019.

For what's it's worth,good or bad they did the same thing with Canada. Having said that I feel better about Austin at this point than I do Canada.

Stella Nation likes this post

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 7:13 am

solardave wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
Shalieve5090 wrote:

For what's it's worth,good or bad they did the same thing with Canada. Having said that I feel better about Austin at this point than I do Canada.

Indeed, Canada is an outside hire too. Coach since 1994, joined the Steelers last year as the QB coach and was promoted after one season to be the OC. I always hear from Steelers fans that we only hire from the inside, but if you take a look at the coaches' history that's a false narrative.

John Mitchell: started coaching in 1973, hired in 1994
Eddie Faulkner: started in 2002, hired in 2019
Frisman Jackson: started in 2008, hired in 2022
Alfredo Roberts (who's doing an excellent job as the TE coach btw): started in 1999, hired in 2021
Mike Sullivan: started in 1993, hired in 2021
Blaine Stewart: started his coaching career with the Steelers in 2018
Grady Brown: started coaching in 2009, hired in 2021
Karl Dunbar: started coaching in 1992, hired in 2018
Jerry Olsavsky: started coaching in 2003, hired in 2010
Denzel Martin: started coaching in 2015, hired in 2016

Only 3 coaches (except Tomlin of course) are with the organisation from before 2018 and most of our coaches had a long career before joining the Steelers.

solardave and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 7:31 pm

I feel good about the Austin hire. I also haven't given up on Canada yet. Whoever the QB is next year though, they have to be mobile for his system to work.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 2:43 pm

Great Randino wrote:
Whoever the QB is next year though, they have to be mobile for his system to work.

They also have to be able to throw the ball farther than 3 yards.

SteelerFreak58 and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 11:06 pm

Lokki wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Whoever the QB is next year though, they have to be mobile for his system to work.

They also have to be able to throw the ball farther than 3 yards.  
SO TRUE!
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 12:28 am

Stella Nation wrote:
Shalieve5090 wrote:

And Austin was shit before he came here. Shouldve hired Martindale, but the Gmen took him because they at least are smart
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keith Butler retiring   Keith Butler retiring Empty

Back to top Go down

Keith Butler retiring
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next