Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJames Harrison will play fewer snaps this season Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season

Go down 
+8
SteelersYak
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
OX1947
DesertSteel
Buddha Bus
tony hipchest
stlrtruck
Hawaii 5-0
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season Empty
PostSubject: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptySun May 03, 2015 5:22 pm

Steelers notebook: Harrison will play fewer snaps this season

By Ralph N. Paulk
Saturday, May 2, 2015

Linebacker coach Joey Porter said Saturday that veteran linebacker James Harrison can expect to play only about 25 snaps per game this season.

It's a surprising number, considering the 36-year-old linebacker could start at right outside linebacker.

“He knows where he is,” Porter said shortly after the Steelers drafted Miami (Fla.) outside linebacker Anthony Chickillo on the final day of the NFL Draft. “I told him already, the James Harrison (of before) is over.

“He's going to play his role, and his role is going to be effective. He knows what we're asking out of him, and he's going to be ready to answer the bell.”

Harrison, who turns 37 on Monday, had 432 snaps in 11 games last season. He had 45 tackles and 5½ sacks, which was third best behind Jason Worilds and Cam Heyward.

“Harrison is going to be a better player for us if I keep his snap count down to 25,” Porter said. “I'll get the best James Harrison I can out of him instead of trying to make him play like he was — 25–60 snaps a game.”

Porter said he told Harrison he wasn't going to play an entire game anymore. Harrison, who signed a two-year, $2.75 million deal in March, said his only demand was that Porter and defensive coordinator Keith Butler let him know his potential snap count before game time.

“If you go into games not knowing your situation, then you run into situations,” Porter said. “I just tell him exactly what it is.”

Read more:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8224811-74/porter-harrison-steelers#ixzz3Z6aZ2YZp
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyMon May 04, 2015 11:37 am

Rested. I like the thought process. Keep him active, keep him moving, and keep him healed throughout the season.

He can be a terror down the stretch.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyMon May 04, 2015 11:49 am

joey porter telling him whats up like a BAWSE...

(unsure if explicit parody and satire comedy is a violation of CoC)

. .
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyMon May 04, 2015 12:54 pm

I know James is probably not happy being told that his snaps will be limited, but this is a good thing. We get a chance to get the young guys some on the job training to accelerate their progress and we keep James fresh for later in the season or when someone goes down to injury. I like this idea better than relying on him to have to be a starter/full-time player. It's good that we've gone from being desperate and having to bring James back to start and now being deeper and more confident at the position to where we can use Harrison in a much smarter way.

Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyMon May 04, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm sure James takes it with a grain of salt. Lack of productivity and/or injuries will push him back in as needed and he knows that.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyMon May 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Porter is evolving into a helluva coach-

Quote :
Will you have to monitor James Harrison’s snaps?
I wouldn’t say monitor it but anybody that gets to that age, if I wasn’t as hard-headed as I was when I played my snaps should have been monitored. But I was in a different mindset and thought I could play every play. When you get to a certain age you really can’t. Your mind will tell you you can. But Harrison is going to be a better player for us if I keep his snap count down to 25 snaps. I’ll get the best James Harrison I can out of him instead of trying to make him play like he was 25 (years old and) 60 snaps a game. He knows where he is. I know where he is. We have that relationship that he knows. I told him already, the James Harrison [of before] is over. He’s going to play his role and his role is going to be effective. He knows what we’re asking out of him and he’s going to be ready to answer the bell.

What was his reaction when you told him that?
He knew what it was. I just told him, ‘You know you’re not going play the whole game like that anymore.’ His things are just as long as you pull me out (and) tell me when and how I’m playing before the game instead of going into the game not knowing. If you go into the game knowing what your situation is there’s really nothing to argue about. But if you go into a game not knowing what your situation is, then you run into situations. Me and him have not only a coaching relationship, but we have a relationship because this is a guy that played up under me and our relationship and our bond is solid. I just tell him exactly what it is. ‘Hey man you’re 37 (years old) with me.’ He always says, ‘No you’re not.’ I say, ‘Yeah you’re just a couple months younger than me. I’m 38 and you’re 37.’ He isn’t going to be able to play 60 snaps any more [laughing]. He can’t argue with that. He knows where he’s at.

How many snaps could you play?I have two snaps left in me. Because I’m stuck at 98 sacks. I have two snaps left in me [laughing].

Quote :
How different are your duties this year with your new title?
Because I know if the outside linebackers don’t go out there and get sacks you all are going to give me the blame and I love that. Last year I didn’t have that blame. I was just an assistant. I was just a guy that was out there helping. But now, if we don’t produce the numbers, I’m fine with that (responsibility). Look at me. So I’m going to teach them everything I can and put them in a position to go out there and be ready to play on Sunday.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Transcript-Joey-Porter-on-LB-Anthony-Chickillo/418a0a0f-7181-4e9f-b1fc-f768a9e5d8f0

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyTue May 12, 2015 1:19 am

James C Wexell retweeted
Justis Mosqueda @JuMosq -

James Harrison is curling 800 pounds right now thinking about being able to kick off the season vs an unproven quarterback in prime time.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyTue May 12, 2015 1:25 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
James C Wexell retweeted
Justis Mosqueda @JuMosq -

James Harrison is curling 800 pounds right now thinking about being able to kick off the season vs an unproven quarterback in prime time.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Or he is curling 800 pounds because he just feels like it.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyTue May 12, 2015 10:38 am

Q: Why does James Harrison curl 800 lbs.?

A: Because he can.

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptySat May 16, 2015 10:00 pm

James Harrison Looks To Break #Steelers All-Time Sacks Record In 2015

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/james-harrison-looks-to-break-steelers-all-time-sacks-record-in-2015/ …
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptySat May 16, 2015 10:18 pm

Joey is holding him back.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 3:57 pm

James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season CFYP2kaUIAAxJhr

https://instagram.com/p/23RJuFnh_O/
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyWed May 27, 2015 3:28 pm

HARRISON LEADING YOUNGSTERS TO WATER

Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net
May 27, 2015

James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season 1535068

But will they drink it? That's the question the Steelers' defensive leader asks as a new culture makes its way in a new era.

PITTSBURGH -- James Harrison started only four games last season so he wasn't all that surprised to find himself on the second team at the start of spring practices with the Pittsburgh Steelers yesterday.

"Not starting really isn't an issue for me," said the 37-year-old linebacker. "I came in not starting last year, so it is what it is. I'll just put it like that."

Harrison did play well last season, and he finished strong, starting the final two games of the regular season and then the playoff game. It convinced him to return for another season, and this time he's back as the unquestioned leader of a defense that really needs leadership.

A group that had led the NFL in total defense five times in the previous 10 years had fallen to 18th last season. And now only Harrison remains from the defensive members who won two championships during that span.

"Yeahhhh," Harrison said with a long sigh. "That two-ring group is getting really small. It's a young man's game. You can't play it forever; no one can. So you're grateful for the time that you get and move on from there."

Part of moving on for Harrison involves paying back as a leader. The rest of the linebackers followed Harrison to Arizona for his annual March workout session.

"It's just more of an opportunity to get 'em out there working with someone that I've worked with for years," Harrison said. "I know the results he's going to get from the work that they're gonna put in. Right now they're stronger, they're faster."

"We had seven linebackers out there," said Jarvis Jones. "Everybody wanted to go. Everybody understands having James around here is great for all of us, to be able to follow him and see the things he's doing, and be mentored by him. He's a great person to follow, especially when you're trying to get to where he's at."

Jones, the No. 1 draft pick in 2013, laughed when he was asked if he's now bigger and stronger.
"I'm at a good weight," Jones said. "I feel like I got stronger."

Why did he laugh at the question?

"They've asked me that question two years in a row," Jones said. "I feel good. My coaches think I'm at a good weight, and I feel good with it. We've still got a long time before the season starts, so who knows."

Jones looks stronger than he did a year ago, when he offered many more details than he did Tuesday. He's obviously in more of an action-first, talk-later mode, and besides, "We still have so much to do." Jones said. "I'm excited."

The group will take a second trip to see Harrison's guru in Arizona at the end of minicamp. And this time the travel party will include another first-round draft pick, the latest, Bud Dupree.

"He seems like he wants to do the work," Harrison said of the rookie pass-rusher. "Now he just has to do it."

to read rest of article:

http://pit.scout.com/story/1549639-harrison-leading-youngsters-to-water?s=68
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyThu May 28, 2015 11:28 pm

Steelers OLB James Harrison not about to give up starting spot without a fight

By Dani Bostick on May 27, 2015

James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season Usa-today-8582231.0

James Harrison started OTAs as a back up, which shouldn't be surprising given statements from the coaching staff that he would have a more limited role this season. Will that role be expanded? It sure sounds like Harrison wants it to.

James Harrison is superhuman. He can leg press over 1,000 pounds, do push-ups with 300-pound Maurkice Pouncey sitting on his back and terrify the opposing offenses with his intimidating death-stare and intensity.

James Harrison is also looking at a limited role this season, having started OTAs as a backup, taking reps with the second team. Harrison told PennLive.com, "Yeah, I'm behind Jarvis (Jones)." Of Bud Dupree he said, "To be honest with you I can't see because I'm not out there with him at the same time." Ouch. That hurt my heart.

Linebackers coach Joey Porter was clear that Harrison would not be on the field as much this upcoming season when he shared his thoughts with the Tribune-Review, saying, "He knows where he is. I told him already, the James Harrison (of before) is over. Harrison is going to be a better player for us if I keep his snap count down to 25. I'll get the best James Harrison I can out of him instead of trying to make him play like he was-- 25-60 snaps a game."

For a 37-year-old linebacker, that makes sense, but James Harrison is far from an ordinary 37-year-old player. The harsh reality of playing with the second team unit has set in for the five-time Pro-Bowler and 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and he doesn't like it. Harrison shared his thoughts with the Tribune-Review, stating, "My objective is to start... nobody wants to come in and be a backup their whole career. So we'll play it out and see what rolls out. That's it."

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/5/27/8667449/expanded-role-for-james-harrison
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 8:17 pm

wanna buy James Harrison's bike?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261910187282...84.m1555.l2649
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 9:05 pm

James Harrison is everything a Steelers' LB needs to be.  The dude never looked right in a Bengals uniform and I hope that he is productive in his limited action.  No need to lean too hard on him in the beginning of the season.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 1:51 pm

Pittsburgh Steelers' James Harrison: I can play 25-plus snaps per game when I'm 50

James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season 166824-mmmain

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison (92) is congratulated by Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin following Harrison's 100-yard interception return for a touchdown during the second quarter of the NFL Super Bowl XLIII football game, Sunday, Feb. 1, 2009, in Tampa, Fla.

By Jacob Klinger
on June 09, 2015

PITTSBURGH -- Much of James Harrison's career has been an exercise in shattering supposed limitations.

The latest comes in the form of the snap count cap Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebackers coach Joey Porter placed on his former teammate. During the NFL Draft, Porter said he will try to limit Harrison to 25 snaps per game.

He thinks he can do more, though, and for a really long time.

"I think I can play more than 25 snaps a game when I'm 50," Harrison said.

After Tuesday's organized team activities, Harrison, 37, discussed his role as a mentor to the team's younger linebackers and his place in the team overall. Harrison said he's not a particularly verbal leader and that he prefers to show players how to do their job with what he does in practice.

Harrison – who retired after the 2013 season only to return to the Steelers mid-injury crisis – also reiterated that he doesn't want to be a backup, no one does.

"I show what I do by going out there and actually doing it," Harrison said. "I don't talk to you about it, I do it. So if you just watch what I do, it really shouldn't be that hard to do the things that's necessary."

to read rest of article:

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2015/06/steelers_james_harrison_50_25_snaps.html
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora 0-

I'm going to go out on a limb and say all of James Harrison's work in the weight room is paying off.

James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season CHK515TUkAAc-v9
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 9:49 pm

James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season 701714dff917c47e23595817bfd2bbaa
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 2:30 pm

Steelers linebacker Harrison leads by example despite reduced role

By Ralph N. Paulk
Saturday, June 13, 2015,

A year ago, James Harrison awaited a phone call as his agent searched for the perfect match for his client's talents.

But the right deal still had not materialized months after the Cincinnati Bengals released Harrison. One of the NFL's most-feared linebackers reluctantly settled into retirement.

Harrison insisted he had something to contribute. His naysayers, though, figured it was the end for a player whose game usually was defined by a resistance to conform to rules changes that were intended to temper his aggressiveness. When it appeared Harrison had taken a curtain call, injuries to Steelers linebackers Jarvis Jones and Ryan Shazier convinced him to abandon retirement just three games into the 2014 season.

Harrison, who will begin his 13th season when the Steelers open the regular season Sept. 10 at New England, is feeling good about his role, even if it is a limited one.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz3d3c1To4U
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 7:00 pm

Silverback says it all about Harrison.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 9:17 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora 0-

I'm going to go out on a limb and say all of James Harrison's work in the weight room is paying off.

Didn't it already pay off? His work in the weight room has been going on for years and produced great results on the field for several season. Or maybe we're talkng about how great he looked playing in shorts during the OTAs.

Here's a few captions that might be better suited for that picture of a ripped Harrison:

• No signs of slowing down
  • Ripped and ready to go
  • Business as usual for Deebo
  • Hey Ratbirds, frear this sh!t!
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora -

Temperature nearly 200 degrees on this field in AZ. James Harrison is in a sweatshirt & weight vest. He's not human

James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season CInlisiWsAA0NFf

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 9:54 am

stay hydrated, my friends.

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 7:45 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
I hope that he is productive in his limited action. No need to lean too hard on him in the beginning of the season.

James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season James-harrison-e1432081887630
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season   James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season Empty

Back to top Go down

James Harrison will play fewer snaps this season
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next