Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers draft write-up n Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers draft write-up n

Go down 
+4
DesertSteel
Pappy
SteelersCanada
teegre
8 posters
AuthorMessage
teegre

teegre

Steelers draft write-up n Empty
PostSubject: Steelers draft write-up n   Steelers draft write-up n EmptyWed May 06, 2015 1:32 pm

This was written by our good buddy, @SteelersCanada.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/the-pittsburgh-steelers-2015-draft-wrap-up/

Enjoy!!!
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft write-up n   Steelers draft write-up n EmptyWed May 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Thanks T.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft write-up n   Steelers draft write-up n EmptyWed May 06, 2015 2:07 pm

My pleasure, SC.
Back to top Go down
Pappy
Xtreme Newb
Pappy

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft write-up n   Steelers draft write-up n EmptyWed May 06, 2015 2:23 pm

SC, great article, the only thing I don't agree with is the Golson pick. I guess being an older Steeler fan, the bigger corners like Mel Blount and Rod Woodson spoiled me. I hope your right and we got ourselves the next Darrell Green.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft write-up n   Steelers draft write-up n EmptyWed May 06, 2015 2:25 pm

Good read. I like Chick though.
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft write-up n   Steelers draft write-up n EmptyWed May 06, 2015 4:32 pm

Nice read Steelers Canada.

I tweeted it to my tweeps.

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft write-up n   Steelers draft write-up n EmptyWed May 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Good write up SC. I'd love it if Golson ended up being a modern day Darrell Green, he was always one of my favorite non-Steelers. I think this was a very good draft going forward. I understand worries about size but I think we're going to see a lot more turnovers than we have in the past. 29 turnovers between Golson, Grant, and Holliman last year alone. I loved Ike Taylor but man it got frustrated when he had the ball thrown right in his hands and he'd drop it. I expect this team to compete.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject:    Steelers draft write-up n EmptyWed May 06, 2015 8:19 pm

Quote :
Of his four touchdowns allowed this season, three of them came to receivers that were 6’4″ and taller. This is the obvious flaw Golson is going to have and it will likely be an issue for him throughout his career. This will likely result in struggling in the red zone against bigger, taller receivers.

has anyone bothered to look up this stat  say a ...6 ft db and compare ? if he was 6 ft tall would anyone have bothered to point that out ? do 6-4 receivers only score on db's under 5-10 ?

the thing i take away from that statment is he ONLY gave up 4 td's .
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft write-up n   Steelers draft write-up n EmptyWed May 06, 2015 8:41 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Quote :
Of his four touchdowns allowed this season, three of them came to receivers that were 6’4″ and taller.  This is the obvious flaw Golson is going to have and it will likely be an issue for him throughout his career. This will likely result in struggling in the red zone against bigger, taller receivers.

has anyone bothered to look up this stat  say a ...6 ft db and compare ? if he was 6 ft tall would anyone have bothered to point that out ? do 6-4 receivers only score on  db's under 5-10 ?

the thing i take away from that statment is he ONLY gave up 4 td's .

It's just noteworthy, moreso because of his frame. I touched on it because of the outcry of fans panicking over his height. It's similar to Brandon Flowers. They're going to surrender catches in the red zone to bigger receivers. Kevin Colbert said something similar yesterday about acknowledging balls are going to be caught over his head.

I'm not against the pick. Far from it, I actually quite like it, but we need to acknowledge the fact that Golson is likely going to be targeted in the red zone because of his size until he shows it to be ineffective.

I do agree with you though -- giving up 4 TDs is stellar given the conference he played in.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft write-up n   Steelers draft write-up n EmptyWed May 06, 2015 8:51 pm

I understand the concern about the tall WRs given Cincy especially has a ton of them but are there really that much 6'2+ WRs out there? Another thing is and this is where I love the Dupree pick comes in is that our pass rush should improve. More 2nd and 3rd and longs means more off throws by opposing QBs. It is a valid point to bring up Colson's height but i don't see it as being a total drawback for him either. The thing I love most about what we did with our draft is how we got guys who can pick the ball off. More turnovers will be invaluable for a young defense. I'm also looking forward to seeing what a healthy Jones, Shazier, Thomas, and Mitchell can offer as well as Spence who will have a full year of being on the team under his belt. Same thing with Tuitt.
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft write-up n   Steelers draft write-up n EmptyThu May 07, 2015 10:48 am

Pappy wrote:
SC, great article, the only thing I don't agree with is the Golson pick. I guess being an older Steeler fan, the bigger corners like Mel Blount and Rod Woodson spoiled me. I hope your right and we got ourselves the next Darrell Green.

I can understand that. When a cornerback is under 5'10 - 5'11, there are certain assumptions made about the player and his role in the NFL. The most common one I've heard since he was selected has been the assumption that Golson is going to be a career Nickel DB. I heavily disagree with this assumption.
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft write-up n   Steelers draft write-up n EmptyThu May 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Great read SC!

I really like this draft class as well. I made some of the same points about each player in the draft thread with my own short break down of each pick.

We'll done Sir!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers draft write-up n   Steelers draft write-up n Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers draft write-up n
Page 1 of 1