Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWhat will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?

Go down 
+7
Master_Of_Puppets
IowaSteeler927
Lokki
Great Randino
kirklandrules
JPPT1974
effyou515
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? Empty
PostSubject: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 5:59 pm

With the selection of Devin Bush with the No. 10 overall selection in the draft Thursday night, the Steelers addressed their glaring defensive weakness. Even though they traded away their second-round pick to the Broncos as part of the compensation to obtain Bush, the Steelers still have two more picks Friday night to fill some other holes on their roster.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/04/25/Steelers-Day-2-NFL-draft-Justin-Layne-Sean-Bunting-Juan-Thornhill-Miles-Boykin/stories/201904250189

that's why I'll be watching to find out.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 6:01 pm

Yeah as it is the secondary that will need to have more needed depth there.

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 6:45 pm

Parris Campbell or Hakeem Butler. A deep-threat WR to help take the pressure off Ju Ju. Campbell ran a 4.31 and Butler is 6'5" 230 lbs.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 7:36 pm

I'd like to see Parris Campbell.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 9:47 pm

meh.. a WR with the 66th pick.. Not exactly what I wanted to see there.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Lokki wrote:
Why? What were you expecting?
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 9:55 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
Lokki wrote:
Why?  What were you expecting?

A CB, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 10:01 pm

I'm happy with it. Its a slap in the face to AB - it is the pick we got for him from Oakland - and we pick a MAC receiver (AB was from Central Michigan).

So yeah - I like it.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 10:21 pm

We're at 83. Julian Love is still on the board.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 10:33 pm

Justin Layne, Michigan State.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 1:40 am

So far we've got Diontae Johnson #66 Overall in Round 3 and Justin Layne #83 Overall in Round 3. A decent haul I think.

At first I was a bit perplexed with the Johnson pick. I really would've liked to have seen Chase Winovich, and while I am still disappointed that we didn't draft him, Johnson isn't too shabby. I have to admit he wasn't a guy I had heard a lot about going into this draft. I don't think I recall ever having heard his name tied to the Steelers or anyone else for that matter. He basically wasn't on my radar. Maybe he should have been. That being said I watched some of his tape tonight, the kid can play ball. That 4.53 40 time they gave for him is deceptive, he plays faster than that. Johnson himself stated he didn't really train for the 40, and that he's much faster than advertised. We'll find out if that's true or not in due time, but judging by his tape I'd say he's got plenty of speed. He was a deep threat for Toledo. He runs pretty good routes, and is very shifty and despite his small size he's not easy to get on the ground. He's also a great returner. He's a versatile player, and the kind of guy who can play the "X" WR position. He's also from a smaller MAC School. Sound familiar? Who else came out of a smaller MAC school, nobody expected anything from him coming out of the draft, and turned out to be one of the best talents in the NFL? None other than Antonio Brown. Not saying Johnson will be Brown 2.0, but they drafted him because they believed he could fit that mold.

As for Layne he probably should've been picked a bit higher, I think he's a good value where we got him. People have to remember we signed Steven Nelson, and we still have Joe Haden.  Layne won't have to come in and start. He'll likely sit on the bench for a year or two, honing his craft and learning from veterans. He's a developmental type player, and fits the Steelers mold for what they like to see from their corners. Hopefully he pans out, it just doesn't seem like we have the same luck drafting DBs as we do with WRs though, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

Highlights for everyone to check out:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 5:27 am

At this point both of them appear to be "logical" picks. They both look good watching highlights but I wish they would also post "lowlights" for these college players. Only time will tell.
Now we need an OLB, a TE, and maybe depth on the O-line.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 1:17 pm

i'm with Iowa here. i thought an OLB was a need that would have made more sense. why ? because DUD Dupree is going to cost them 9 freaking million dollars against the cap for his usual 5.5 sacks. What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? 1505004552

also like Iowa said, i've never once heard or read this guys name mentioned during this whole draft process. for a guy with very high second round potential , i find that odd.

plus there's the fact that last years 2nd round pick wr is still on the roster AND they threw a pretty descent chunk of change at free agent Moncrief.

considering their moves in free agency, which appeared to be an attempt to upgrade at certain positions (ILB,CB) and to plug a hole (wr) , this draft so far doesn't make a lot of sense when you look at what they have already done.
one would have thought that positions not filled like TE and RT , plus the now over paid OLB dud dupree's position would have been given priority.

i just want mr tomlin and mr colbert to know, i will be heavily scrutinizing the play of not only their draft choices , but chase winovich , miles sanders and a few others i would have considered. they can expect to receive a strongly worded letter from me if if "their guys", are outperformed by. "my guys".
in additions i will also be writing a letter to mr rooney asking for their firing....
What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? 1797695198
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i'm with Iowa here. i thought an OLB was a need that would have made more sense. why ? because DUD Dupree is going to cost them 9 freaking million dollars against the cap for his usual 5.5 sacks. What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? 1505004552

also like Iowa said, i've never once heard or read this guys name mentioned during this whole draft process. for a guy with very high second round potential , i find that odd.

plus there's the fact that last years 2nd round pick wr is still on the roster AND they threw a pretty descent chunk of change at free agent Moncrief.

considering their moves in free agency, which appeared to be an attempt to upgrade at certain positions (ILB,CB) and to plug a hole (wr) , this draft so far doesn't make a lot of sense when you look at what they have already done.
one would have thought that positions not filled like TE and RT , plus the now over paid OLB dud dupree's  position would have been given priority.

i just want mr tomlin and mr colbert to know, i will be heavily scrutinizing the play of not only their draft choices , but chase winovich , miles sanders and a few others i would have considered. they can expect to receive a strongly worded letter from me if if "their guys", are outperformed by. "my guys".
in additions i will also be writing a letter to mr rooney asking for their firing....

I thought an OLB could have come up by now too. Maybe they figured with Watt, the Barron signing, and the #1 pick, they might make DuPree better or they'd be able to carry the weaker 4th guy.

The first thing I thought when they announced the WR was that I hadn't heard of him but I never want to scrutinize their picks at WR.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 2:02 pm

Benny Snell Jr.
RB out of Kentucky. Snell is pretty good. I watched several of his games and I can say he is fun to watch. Good kid.

https://youtu.be/40Hmdc99I4E?t=7

Zack Gentry
TE out of Michigan. Looks reliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRttqsW0vTE

Where is our edge rusher?
Here he is:
Sutton Smith OLB said to be the "best pass rusher in the country".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENpyYHpNkVM
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 4:30 pm

Isaiah Buggs DT from Alabama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZV-42P6xzQ

About the size of McCullers but with a motor.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 6:58 pm

I like this quote from Snell

Quote :
“I felt in the bottom of my heart this is where I belong because of my style of running the ball,” Snell said. “I’m like a Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson, just fighting for those extra yards. My style of running is Steelers football.”

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptySat Apr 27, 2019 8:21 pm

solardave wrote:
Benny Snell Jr.
RB out of Kentucky. Snell is pretty good. I watched several of his games and I can say he is fun to watch. Good kid.

Zack Gentry

Here he is:

snell is listed as running a 4.66 forty...yep you read that right ...a 4.66 at 5-10 and 224 lbs.  What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? 1505004552
NFLcom projected him as a 5-6th round.

gentry our new TE ran the 40 in 4.9 ... slow as fuck, PLUS...he only did 12 reps in the bench, so include weak as fuck. so what is he ? a receiving TE who my grandma could keep up with ? or a blocking TE couldn't move my pappy ? What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? 1797695198  the only thing he has going for him is 6'8".
he was projected as undrafted

smith our new OLB. was a big fail at the senior bowl. zerlien the writer descibed him as being thrown around like a rag doll... What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? 1505004552
he was projected as a 7th or undrafted.

buggs is listed at 6-3 ..303lbs. not exactly McCullers size. i liked this pick.
he was projected 4th-5th round

gilbert the ILB is listed at 6ft ,224 lbs. not exactly 3-4 LB size.  the knock on is he isn't to good in coverage.
projected in the 5-6th

gray the OT was a nice grab in the 7th.
projected 6-7th.

snell could be a short yardage back.
gentry will be cut...FOOLISH WASTE OF A PICK.
smith and gilbert might make it as special teamers.
buggs and gray will either added as depth or practice squad.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptySun Apr 28, 2019 6:21 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
solardave wrote:
Benny Snell Jr.

Zack Gentry

Here he is:

snell is listed as running a 4.66 forty...yep you read that right ...a 4.66 at 5-10 and 224 lbs.  What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? 1505004552
NFLcom projected him as a 5-6th round.Did you measure his heart? In the bowl game against Penn State he pretty much ran out the clock when Penn state knew it and couldn't stop him.

gentry our new TE ran the 40 in 4.9 ... slow as fuck, PLUS...he only did 12 reps in the bench, so include weak as fuck. so what is he ? a receiving TE who my grandma could keep up with ? or a blocking TE couldn't move my pappy ? What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? 1797695198  the only thing he has going for him is 6'8".
he was projected as undrafted Heath Miller ran a blazing 4.79 and we know he was OK at least in his career. What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? 2087824411

smith our new OLB. was a big fail at the senior bowl. zerlien the writer descibed him as being thrown around like a rag doll... What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? 1505004552
he was projected as a 7th or undrafted.OK so maybe he turns out to be nothing but a STs ace. Is that so bad?The upside is he bulks up a little and takes Dupree's job away.He's already got better technique.

buggs is listed at 6-3 ..303lbs. not exactly McCullers size. i liked this pick.
he was projected 4th-5th roundYeah size wise not a good comparison but this guy (unlike McCullers who is a statue) keeps pushing up field. I also like this pick.

gilbert the ILB is listed at 6ft ,224 lbs. not exactly 3-4 LB size.  the knock on is he isn't to good in coverage.
projected in the 5-6thIf he makes the team it'll probably be on STs.

gray the OT was a nice grab in the 7th.
projected 6-7th.

snell could be a short yardage back.
gentry will be cut...FOOLISH WASTE OF A PICK.
smith and gilbert might make it as special teamers.
buggs and gray will either added as depth or practice squad.

I agree that Snell could be just a short yardage back and I'm good with him moving the chains as our #3. I don't agree that Gentry was a foolish pick. I think Smith will surprise us all. (keep in mind I say that about at least one pick every year and I'm usually wrong :chuckle:And the other 3 Gilbert,Buggs and Gray will probably end up in order on STs and the practice squad but I do think Buggs could beat McCullers out and that would be great. Over all I'm optimistic about this draft.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptySun Apr 28, 2019 1:25 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

one would have thought that positions not filled like TE and RT , plus the now over paid OLB dud dupree's  position would have been given priority.

I thought an OLB could have come up by now too. Maybe they figured with Watt, the Barron signing, and the #1 pick, they might make DuPree better or they'd be able to carry the weaker 4th guy.

The first thing I thought when they announced the WR was that I hadn't heard of him but I never want to scrutinize their picks at WR.

why not ? apparently they are. they just took washington last year with a number 2 . spending another high pick on another receiver just one year later shows very little confindence in washington. especially after shopping in free agency for moncrief.
plus if you look at the drafts the last 15 years you'll notice a bunch of WRs they have picked and are long forgotten about. guys that we got exited about . how did sammie coats work out ? marcus wheaton ? limas sweed ? willie reed ? fred gibson ?
there's no magic or skill at spotting who is going to be a good NFL WR. it's luck of the draw. other wise ,arguably the best receiver we have ever had would not have been left on the board by the steelers until the 6th round. What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? 3135543967
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptySun Apr 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
LambertWardSteel wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

why not ? apparently they are.  they just took washington last year with a number 2 . spending another high pick on another receiver just one year later shows very little confindence in washington. especially after shopping in free agency for moncrief.
plus if you look at the drafts the last 15 years you'll notice a bunch of WRs they have picked and are long forgotten about. guys that we got exited about . how did sammie coats work out ? marcus wheaton ? limas sweed ? willie reed ? fred gibson ?
there's no magic or skill at spotting who is going to be a good NFL WR. it's luck of the draw. other wise ,arguably  the best receiver we have ever had would not have been left on the board by the steelers until the 6th round. What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? 3135543967

You're quite the negative Nancy today, aren't you?

I think its really hard to argue the Steelers' success drafting WRs, even if not all of them have panned out. They have found value drafting outside of the 1st round just about every time - while other teams have missed on 1st rounders. Nobody gets them all right - not even the vaunted Patriots*.

And as for your comment regarding Gentry - you make it sound like they drafted a weak slow guy. They must've seen something in him or they wouldn't have drafted him.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2019 7:26 am

I know only time will tell and it's real easy for all of us that are HC material but for some strange reason the NFL never calls to second guess the FO Rolling Eyes I think this was a draft that netted a lot of potential . I think Bush,Johnson and Layne are solid picks. They may not start right away (except Bush) but I feel comfortable that they will contribute this year.I also think Sutton and Gilbert will be pretty good STs players going in. I like what I saw in the highlights for Sutton. I think Buggs could make the 53. All in all I am optimistic.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2019 10:21 am

My thoughts:

Pick I really like: Justin Layne, he should have gone in the second at least and I even saw mocks where he went in the first (up to 20 to us). One pf the best CB's in this class.
Picks I like: Devin Bush and Sutton Smith
Picks that are good: Benny Snell, Isaiah Buggs, Ulysees Gilbert III, Devin Gray
Pick that's meh for me: Diontae Johnson. I thought there were better options like Miles Boykin or a trade up for Parris Campbell once he fell.
Pick I really hate: Zach Gentry. He has no business making the 53 on any team. He's slow as fuck, has zero athleticism and plays with no physicality at all. TE is now our weakest position with only McDonald and he's injury prone. We don't even have a guy who's a decent #2. They should have traden up for Foster Moreau.

I really like our draft in general because our best picks where at 2 of our most crucial positions of need, ILB and CB. For me it's an A- or B+. For next year our biggest needs will be OLB (finally a replacement for Dupree) and TE.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2019 4:55 am

Stella Nation wrote:
My thoughts:

Pick I really like: Justin Layne, he should have gone in the second at least and I even saw mocks where he went in the first (up to 20 to us). One pf the best CB's in this class.
Picks I like: Devin Bush and Sutton Smith
Picks that are good: Benny Snell, Isaiah Buggs, Ulysees Gilbert III, Devin Gray
Pick that's meh for me: Diontae Johnson. I thought there were better options like Miles Boykin or a trade up for Parris Campbell once he fell.
Pick I really hate: Zach Gentry.I thought he looked like a guy who could move the chains anyway. We do have Grimble as our #2 but I agree we are thin at TE. He has no business making the 53 on any team. He's slow as fuck, has zero athleticism and plays with no physicality at all. TE is now our weakest position with only McDonald and he's injury prone. We don't even have a guy who's a decent #2. They should have traden up for Foster Moreau.

I really like our draft in general because our best picks where at 2 of our most crucial positions of need, ILB and CB. For me it's an A- or B+. For next year our biggest needs will be OLB (finally a replacement for Dupree) and TE.

I like this draft in all and would give it a B+ right now. It could turn into an A- if Layne, Gilbert and Smith become good STs players to start. I would also like to see Buggs take McCullers job away. Oh yeah I think Benny Snell can be a help in the running game picking up short yardage moving the chains.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? EmptyWed May 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Click on the tweet for a thread on DJ.

PostSubject: Re: What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?   What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft? Empty

Back to top Go down

What will the Steelers do on Day 2 of the NFL draft?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next