Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSo.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...

Go down 
+8
jak341
Hawaii 5-0
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
dave n'at
IowaSteeler927
ImperialFan
El-Gonzo Jackson
DesertSteel
12 posters
AuthorMessage
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... Empty
PostSubject: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 12:30 pm

And we now have ZERO secondary help from the draft. Two cut and one injured.

I'd give that an F.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 12:53 pm

Holliman was never going to make the 53, so I don't know why fans get so disappointed about that 7th round pick.  

Golson getting injured isn't the fault of the front office.  Its football and injuries happen.  Grant was a solid selection.  Somebody that played well and by all accounts practiced well...I'm curious if there was a character issue or just a numbers game.

Doran Grant to me was a guy with solid technique, ran a 4.44 at the combine, tackled well and was Ohio State's best CB last season and started his past 2 years there.  The kid can play and hopefully ends up on the the practice squad. He was never going to be a #1 cb, but rather a guy that played in sub packages and maybe ended up developing into a #2 CB like DeShea Townsend.

Honestly, if Beachum is not extended, then OT becomes the top priority in the draft, then Safety, then a TE to replace the aging Heath Miller.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 4:07 pm

Of course the injury isn't the FO's fault. But it doesn't change the fact that it was 0 for 3 on help this year. I just don't understand the Grant release.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 10:09 pm

I agree 100 percent when draft day came I sat down and thought "okay what CB are we going to draft" 1st round, taking Bud Dupree was understandable, I guess. Then when they took Golson I was like "oh my god thats the cb they think will most help this team?" Too small for the NFL just like Dri, and to assert that his size had nothing to do with him getting hurt would be ridiculous, little guys break easy. Then taking a Wide Receiver in the 3rd round was truly puzzling when there were other quality corners on the board still. I said it as soon as the draft was over, we had a horrible draft, a lot of people disagreed but it's nice to see some are coming around to accept that we whiffed in the 2015 draft, unless Dupree becomes a stud.

So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... 29c3yg5
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 11:29 pm

DesertSteel wrote:
Of course the injury isn't the FO's fault. But it doesn't change the fact that it was 0 for 3 on help this year. I just don't understand the Grant release.

I don't either, but I guess they like Ross Cockrell better and he has an extra year in the NFL. Allen, Gay, Boykin, Blake, Cockrell are the 5 CB's they are going with and Golden can cover in the slot as a former college CB.

Golson will be back next year. All those complaining about his size at 5'9" 176lbs don't seem to complain that William Gay is 5'10" 190lbs. They are probably still lamenting that 5'9" Brice McCain wasn't retained. Its honestly amusing.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 5:00 am

Grant and Chickillo both got signed to the practice squad. The CB's aren't so much of an issue, as the safeties are anyways. I think we're okay with Gay, Blake, Boykin, and Allen. It's not exactly a star-studded lineup but they'll be competent. It's the safeties we really have to worry about, in particular Mike Mitchell. Then there's the pass rush, an effective pass rush would do well to help the secondary out.

So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... PaKS9WC
"Success isn't owned, it's leased and the rent is due every day." - TJ Watt
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
dave n'at
Banned
dave n'at

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 12:49 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Grant and Chickillo both got signed to the practice squad. The CB's aren't so much of an issue, as the safeties are anyways. I think we're okay with Gay, Blake, Boykin, and Allen. It's not exactly a star-studded lineup but they'll be competent. It's the safeties we really have to worry about, in particular Mike Mitchell. Then there's the pass rush, an effective pass rush would do well to help the secondary out.

They were but they were both cut soon after to make room for other team's cast-offs. Both cleared waivers and are currently free agents.

EDIT: My mistake, apparently we signed them to the PS again? Why the fuck would they cut them, let them risk the waiver wire, only to sign them to the squad again? I'm happy to have both of them back but why the hell not just do it right in the first place? confused confused confused

So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... TF3aifO
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 1:59 pm

dave n'at wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

They were but they were both cut soon after to make room for other team's cast-offs. Both cleared waivers and are currently free agents.

EDIT: My mistake, apparently we signed them to the PS again? Why the fuck would they cut them, let them risk the waiver wire, only to sign them to the squad again? I'm happy to have both of them back but why the hell not just do it right in the first place? confused confused confused

They were only on the practice squad once, which is right now. They were waived to make room for the 53 man roster. After the team establishes its 53 it can start signing PS players but since Chickillo and Grant were not 4 year nfl veterans they had to clear waiver wires first. Which is why it seemed a longer process.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 8:47 pm

RECENT NEWS

Brandon Boykin is expected to open the season as the Steelers' No. 4 cornerback.
He's been leapfrogged on the depth chart with William Gay and Antwon Blake expected to be the outside corners and Cortez Allen manning the slot. It's a sorry group and an extreme disappointment for Boykin, who was acquired from the Eagles on August 1 in exchange for a fifth-round pick. Boykin was routinely one of the top slot corners in the league in Philadelphia the past couple seasons. Sep 8 - 8:21 PM

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7492/brandon-boykin
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyWed Sep 09, 2015 2:07 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
RECENT NEWS

Brandon Boykin is expected to open the season as the Steelers' No. 4 cornerback.
He's been leapfrogged on the depth chart with William Gay and Antwon Blake expected to be the outside corners and Cortez Allen manning the slot. It's a sorry group and an extreme disappointment for Boykin, who was acquired from the Eagles on August 1 in exchange for a fifth-round pick. Boykin was routinely one of the top slot corners in the league in Philadelphia the past couple seasons. Sep 8 - 8:21 PM

Cortez better play with a chip on his shoulder. I think the only reason he's getting the nod over Boykin at this point is purely because Cortez has been with the team much longer and knows the system. Cortez messes up and Boykin is chomping at the bit.

Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyWed Sep 09, 2015 8:31 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
RECENT NEWS

It's a sorry group indeed. There may not be a true #1, or #2 for that matter, CB on the team.

Boykin was expected to challenge for #2 CB in Philly. Now he is not even taking the field. Our CBs are not that great. Did Boykin have that bad of a camp? I didn't think so.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyWed Sep 09, 2015 12:29 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
RECENT NEWS

It could be they're trying to limit boykin's snap count because if he plays over 60% of the snaps then we give up a 4th rounder instead of a 5th?

Plus being a late addition he doesn't know the system like the other players do. I'm guessing we'll see more of him as the season progresses.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyWed Sep 09, 2015 1:08 pm

Q: Gerry, I'm surprised that Boykin hasn't cracked the top 3 at CB thus far. Any insight?

Gerry Dulac: He is having some problems and playing a little stiff. He's not even the nickel back. And for this they traded a fifth-round pick. It's all part of the mess that is the Steelers secondary right now

http://www.post-gazette.com/chat

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyWed Sep 09, 2015 5:18 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
Q: Gerry, I'm surprised that Boykin hasn't cracked the top 3 at CB thus far. Any insight?

Gerry Dulac: He is having some problems and playing a little stiff. He's not even the nickel back. And for this they traded a fifth-round pick. It's all part of the mess that is the Steelers secondary right now

http://www.post-gazette.com/chat

So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... 611739232

So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... 29c3yg5
Back to top Go down
HeinzMustard

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 2:56 pm

2016 Draft for the Steelers

Round 1: CB
Round 2: SS
Round 3: CB
Round 4: TE
Round 5: FS
Round 6: CB
Round 7: CB
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 3:38 pm

HeinzMustard wrote:
2016 Draft for the Steelers

Round 1:  CB
Round 2:  SS
Round 3:  CB
Round 4:  TE
Round 5:  FS
Round 6:  CB
Round 7:  CB

Reality

1 OLB
2 ILB
3 OLB
4 WR
5 WR
6 CB
7 OLB
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyThu Sep 10, 2015 4:33 pm

Were talking about the draft already? Alright then...

As it stands today:

1) OLB - This pick will be needed if Jones doesn't show any sign of development.
2) BPA of SS / FS / or TE - Each is very important. Heath is aging, Mitchell may be gone, and Thomas may not develop.
3) CB - I don't have faith in what we have.
4) BPA of SS / FS / or TE [whatever we didn't take in the 2nd]
5) Gone
6) Gone
Conditional 7th from Giants) BPA of SS / FS / or TE [whatever we didn't take in the 2nd]

What I think we will do is trade back in the rounds to pick up the 5th and 6th picks.

1) Trade back to pick up 5th - OLB
2) BPA of SS / FS or TE
3) CB
4) BPA of SS / FS / or TE [whatever we didn't take in the 2nd]CB
5) OL - Need depth.
6) Gone
7) Does it matter?
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 2:26 am

So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... GROOONK.0
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 2:54 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... 2625562446 That play was maddening. First issue I have with it is that the players we're where they needed to be. Nobody was covering him to start the play. Second issue is that the coaches should've seen that and called a timeout...

Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 6:53 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... 2625562446 That play was maddening. First issue I have with it is that the players we're where they needed to be. Nobody was covering him to start the play. Second issue is that the coaches should've seen that and called a timeout...

Not to mention the actual tackling itself. I think it was W. Allen. There was no need to dive and try to wrap up Gronk. Blake was out of position, but would have been over in time to assist on the tackle. It probably would have limited the play to 8 or 9 yards.

Out of position, poor tackling, sounds very familiar.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 9:10 am

jak341 wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Not to mention the actual tackling itself. I think it was W. Allen. There was no need to dive and try to wrap up Gronk. Blake was out of position, but would have been over in time to assist on the tackle. It probably would have limited the play to 8 or 9 yards.

Out of position, poor tackling, sounds very familiar.

It was Golden and we had 10 man on the field that play So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... 1505004552
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 9:16 am

^ Yes. I think you are right. It was Golden. Regardless, that was poor planning and poor execution by the Defense.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 9:43 am

jak341 wrote:
^ Yes. I think you are right. It was Golden. Regardless, that was poor planning and poor execution by the Defense.

And poor coaching too. With 10 men on the field and the defense out of position they should have taken a time-out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft...   So.... DB is the #1 priority in the 2015 draft... Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1