Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home2015 Draft Discussion Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

2015 Draft Discussion

Go down 
+20
IowaSteeler927
PhantomJB93
teegre
Dave75th
goldsteel86
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Buddha Bus
SteelersCanada
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
steelcityboyz
Lokki
steelstoned1972
BlackAndGold
SteelCityUnderground
kirklandrules
SteelersYak
solardave
Drizztbob
stlrtruck
Wallace108
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

2015 Draft Discussion Empty
PostSubject: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 1:52 pm

Better late than never.

Quote :
Freakish Phillips Could Be 1st Round Dark Horse For Steelers

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/02/freakish-phillips-could-be-1st-round-dark-horse-for-steelers/

Quote :
Todd McShay mocks cornerback to Steelers

By Scott Brown

ESPN analyst Todd McShay has the Pittsburgh Steelers taking a cornerback in his post-NFL scouting combine mock draft.

McShay pairs LSU's Jalen Collins, who bolstered his stock at the combine, with a team that needs an infusion of youth and talent at cornerback in his third mock draft.

Collins is an athletic cornerback with good size and length, and there are now questions about whether the 6-1, 203-pounder will last until the 22nd pick in the draft.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/12649/espns-todd-mcshay-mocks-cornerback-to-pittsburgh-steelers-in-first-round

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 4:49 pm

Even though it would break with tradition since 1997, I really think we should draft a quality CB first round if available...

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 6:14 pm

Our weakness is certainly on the defensive side of the ball. And with the exodus of key players in the secondary forth coming it's important we get that injection of youth. However, getting a stud on the front line could also be beneficial to our defensive success in 2015.

However, I think it's important that our secondary receive the initial boost in the first round. I believe our front 7 can be shored up in the 2-4 rounds.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION 2015 Draft Discussion 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Well I'm pretty sure they are going to go with a CB or a pass rushing LB with the first pick. In fact, besides a TE, I doubt they draft another offensive position. They will probably be picking up a backup running back through free agency. I'd like to see Reggie Bush in the black and gold!

solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 1:37 am

I think a corner is likely and since they are clearing cap space now I believe 1 or 2 free agents are coming. As usual I don't see them breaking the bank in Free Agency by signing any big names.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 1:16 pm

First round CBs are so risky. I loved Justin Gilbert last year, and he may still pan out for the Brownies, but he didn't amount to anything in his rookie year.

If I were Colbert, and you can all thank your lucky stars that I'm not, I would sign Arthur Moats to a 2 year contract; I'd allow Worilds to walk, even though I like the guy (just don't think he's worth big money right now) and backfill next year with Moats on left OLB; then I'd draft an OLB in the first round to take over in 2016 or 2017. Do I think Moats is the answer? No. But I think they have so many needs and they could potentially find their next stud in the draft, who will make far less than paying Worilds.

I'd love to see Vic Beasley at left OLB. He got the nickname The Beast with Clemson the old fashioned way ... he earned it. He's strong as hell (benched 225 lbs 35 times ...that's lineman strength) and ran a 4.53 40. But something tells me he'll be gone before 22. 2015 Draft Discussion 3096553220

They might be able to pick up Eric Kendricks from UCLA. I think he was mostly an ILB, but his speed and run stopping would make a good left OLB.

Maybe Donte Fowler from Florida, but he'll probably be gone before 22 as well.

As far as CB goes, call me a homer, but I still have faith in Cortez Allen. He has the body and athleticism to be a good CB. It seemed last year he had a mental block more than anything. There were plenty of times he had good position, but he just didn't make a play on the ball.  Yes, I'd draft a CB higher this year than last years 5th rounder (Richardson) ... who by the way didn't make the team.

My biggest concern is the lack of QB pressure the defense had in 2014. It seemed like there were times the opposing QBs could stand in the pocket all day. The Ravens had a crappy secondary, but they beat Ben and the high flying Steelers offense, in Pittsburgh, during the playoffs, because they gave Ben very little time to throw.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 2:13 pm

As I state around this time every year, I don't watch much college football, so my contribution in these discussions is minimal. What I do know is that when it comes to drafting, the Steelers generally don't lock in to one position. They look for best player available. So even though most Steelers fans want a corner with the first pick, that doesn't mean they're going to take the best corner available if there's a more valuable player still on the board. They're not going to use their first pick on the 3rd best corner in the draft if they can get the 4th or 5th best in the second round. My guess is that there are three positions they're targeting in the first round ... corner, safety, and outside linebacker ... and they'll take the highest-rated player out of those three positions. I have no clue whether they'll go corner, safety, or outside linebacker with their first pick, but I'd be surprised if they go with anything other than one of those three.

To quote Steeler Depot's Dave Bryan after last year's draft:
Quote :

The Steelers need for a young cornerback in this draft is an obvious one, yet Colbert stood by his decision to take the best player available over a need.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/05/steelers-gm-kevin-colbert-defends-quality-need-draft-strategy/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 11:42 am

Wallace108 wrote:
I have no clue whether they'll go corner, safety, or outside linebacker with their first pick, but I'd be surprised if they go with anything other than one of those three.

I'd be surprised if they get a safety in the 1st round. This draft isn't deep for high end safeties. I think the Alabama kid, Collins, is a potential 1st rounder, but outside of him there's a drop off in talent. Maybe Shamarko Thomas can finally break the lineup and make an impact. He's fast, brings the lumber when he hits and has the coverage skills that allowed Syracuse to line him up as a corner at times. Polamalu was a liability when lining up in one-on-one coverage, so you'd expect to see improvement there. And before anyone rips Thomas for being a bust, he was lined up behind veterans with 10+ years experience.

If they don't go CB or OLB in the 1st, the Steelers could opt for TE to get Miller's replacement. Maxx Williams from Minnesota is generally viewed as the top TE this year. Funny how we had Spaeth from Minnesota on the team for a few stints ... guess TE development is their niche up there. Williams is a sophomore and I'm not sure I would try that hard to get a TE in the 1st round ... there's a few decent guys that could be had in rounds 2-4. It's unfortunate, because I thought Blanchflower had some talent, but for some reason the Steelers loaded the TE position with veterans last year. So Blanchflower was pushed to the practice squad, which usually doesn't lead to a spot on the 53 man roster.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 12:34 pm

If Beasley is available at pick 22 you are damn right we are taking him! Unfortunately for us, due to his combine showing, he will be a top 10 pick. If we can't get Trae Waynes at 22, which would be unlikely, I think a good pick up would be Bud Dupree, a DE with great speed and pass rushing ability from Kentucky. Can switch between DE and OLB because of his size and we love that versatility in Pitt! (mostly cause our guys constantly get hurt)

kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
If Beasley is available at pick 22 you are damn right we are taking him!  Unfortunately for us, due to his combine showing, he will be a top 10 pick.  If we can't get Trae Waynes at 22, which would be unlikely, I think a good pick up would be Bud Dupree, a DE with great speed and pass rushing ability from Kentucky.  Can switch between DE and OLB because of his size and we love that versatility in Pitt!  (mostly cause our guys constantly get hurt)

Yeah, I like Dupree too. One thing to like about him is he had teams like South Carolina, Georgia and Florida  (can't remember off hand if they played Tennessee as well) on the schedule. Really, those teams are normally viewed as stronger football programs than Kentucky. So he saw better talent on a regular basis.

The thing I like about the Steelers draft is typically in the 1st round they end up with a pick that they felt "fell" to them. There's going to be a player they think should be a 15-18 pick that will be sitting there when they pick at 22.

When you look at this draft and try to figure who will be or won't be available, just think that before the Steelers chose there will be selections along the lines of:

• 2-3 QBs
  • 3 CBs
  • 2-3 WRs
  • 2 OL
  • 2 DL
  • 2 LBS

That's ~15 picks ... and I think Beasley will probably still be there at that point, just based on the talent ahead of him and the needs of the teams picking at the top half of the draft. He may not fall all the way back to 22, but someone will. Just think, the Browns will screw up their two picks ahead of the Steelers, we can always count on that! 2015 Draft Discussion 2573146105
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 10:23 am

If Beasley is still there at 22, and the Steelers DIDN'T take him, I would eat my Wallace jersey in pure disbelief and anger.

Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 12:44 pm

Take a look at this list of 2015 draft prospects who the Steelers have visited with:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers/2015/3/6/8157281/2015-nfl-draft-steelers-prospects-meeting-list

This list confirms 2 things; What specific players they are targeting, and what their positional focus is. They interviewed 9 CB's, 9 TE's and 10 LB's. After seeing this, here is my 2015 prediction:

Round One: Alvin "Bud" Dupree DE/OLB from Kentucky
Round Two: Trade up to take Kevin Johnson the CB from Wake
Round Three: Clive Walford TE from Miami

Lock it up.

kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 5:54 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
Take a look at this list of 2015 draft prospects who the Steelers have visited with:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers/2015/3/6/8157281/2015-nfl-draft-steelers-prospects-meeting-list

This list confirms 2 things; What specific players they are targeting, and what their positional focus is.  They interviewed 9 CB's, 9 TE's and 10 LB's.  After seeing this, here is my 2015 prediction:

Lock it up.

I think Dupree will be there at 22 for sure. He's almost 270 lbs and still ran a sub 4.6 40. But that weight has me a little concerned. The good thing is he comes off the left side very well and that's where the Steelers would want him.

Really, it comes down to the top 5 best OLBs and I think one of them will be there for the Steelers:

1. Randy Gregory - he's a top 10
  2. Shane Ray
  3. Dante Fowler
  4. Vic Beasley
  5. Bud Dupree
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 9:26 am

I wish I knew more about the draft but I just can't get into the combine and numbers.

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 6:42 pm

It's not difficult, get into it. I'm not a big college guy, but once the NFL is done, that is my focus to what these prospect kids coming up in the draft have on film. Once it's combine time, it's highlight reel time.

SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 12:01 pm

What killed the draft for me is how they moved it to Thursday night. I enjoyed it on Saturday and having a big draft party during it. Thursday night is stupid. Just another way that Goodell has ruined the NFL.

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 11:31 am

SteelersYak wrote:
I wish I knew more about the draft but I just can't get into the combine and numbers.

I find the draft to be that one thing that keeps me into football during a long offseason. The combine is one of those things that I don't just sit and watch. I usually catch some replays of players I thought played well. Through that entire process, there's only a few players that help themselves move up and a few players that move down. Most teams, the Steelers included, watch the players on the field and make an assessment of their personalities, with the combine being a secondary review to ensure they don't spot something troubling (injury, personality, or physical inability).

Although I take interest in how the "analysts" rate individual players, I usually disagree. The one guy I like to watch rate players is Mike Mayock. I tend to agree with him more than the others and I have a little more respect for him because he actually strapped it on in the NFL. But I don't sell out on his analysis and find plenty to disagree with (it's fun having an opinion on the topic of football). For instance, Mayock rates OLB as:

1. Donte Fowler
  2. Shane Ray
  3. Vic Beasley
  4. Randy Grogory
  5. Bud Dupree

I've listed the OLB as:

1. Randy Gregory
  2. Shane Ray
  3. Dante Fowler
  4. Vic Beasley
  5. Bud Dupree

Sorry, but Randy Gregory is a raw talent that still looked awesome. He's tall and can add the weight he'd need to play on the left side (normally the run stopper). If the Steelers are looking for someone to start day one I'd go with Fowler, Beasley and Dupree ... Ray and Gregory are awesome talents that will need work to get up to speed, but their upsides are huge.

I haven't heard Mayock's explanation for his order, but I wonder if the combine affected his thoughts on Gregory. From what I heard, he came in a lot lighter than normal and didn't show as well as expected. But there were reports he had been sick, which happens due to the combine taking place in the middle of cold and flu season.

But regardless of the order, I really think you have 5 awesome pass rushing OLBs and one will definitely fall to the Steelers. The only guy I don't think fits the Steelers is Shane Ray. His style is almost exactly like Jarvis Jones, which is a right side rusher. I wouldn't draft another right side guy, because Jones probably won't thrive with a move to the left side. The other guys could more easily move to the left and played some on the left.

Obviously, I'm biased for an OLB. There's just no depth and I don't see them filling that position in the future based on a FA pick up. So you have to draft one this year and it has to be early.

I'll post my 2 cents on CBs later.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 6:53 pm

Kirk, That was one of the most cherry picked accounts of anything, ever written. Bravo.   2015 Draft Discussion 273451046

Sorry. Could. Not. Resist. Ben LOL

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 10:02 pm

I'll just let you guys do the work and tell me if we drafted well. 2015 Draft Discussion 1797695198

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 10:42 am

The problem is EVERY time I think I have our first pick nailed down, they prove me wrong. 2015 Draft Discussion 1505004552

kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 10:12 am

Drizztbob wrote:
The problem is EVERY time I think I have our first pick nailed down, they prove me wrong.  2015 Draft Discussion 1505004552

And you will join everyone else on the planet. I think the last 1st round pick I got correct was Pouncey. But it's fun making the guess.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 10:55 am

Quote :
Tomlin, Porter at Kentucky's Pro Day

The University of Kentucky is one of several schools holding their Pro Day on Thursday and as expected, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and linebackers coach Joey Porter are both on hand to observe it.

The main attraction Thursday is defensive end/outside linebacker Alvin Dupree, who recorded the third-best 40-yard dash (4.56 seconds), second-best vertical jump (42 inches) and single-best standing broad jump (11-6) among the linebackers group at the combine. Dupree is easily linked by several draftniks to the Steelers in the first round being as they will certainly need an outside linebacker at some point.

READ MORE: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/03/steelers-mike-tomlin-present-at-kentucky-pro-day/

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 12:32 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
I'll just let you guys do the work and tell me if we drafted well. 2015 Draft Discussion 1797695198

Sounds like you're taking the easy way out   2015 Draft Discussion 1620455514

Yeah, it can seems like a complete waste of time ... and my wife will tell you that you're right 2015 Draft Discussion 3121608646
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 10:25 pm

My buddies talk about the draft and get into some heated discussion about it. At draft parties, it's always comical to watch Browns fans either talk about how the pick is going to win them the Super Bowl or completely blew the season. Me? I just sip on the feel good and enjoy the show.

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Drizztbob wrote:

Lock it up.

I like it! The only issue I have with Kevin Johnson is he's very lean ... 175 lbs. But he's talented and for a skinny kid he definitely didn't shy away from contact.

I'm wondering if Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB Oregon will be available in round 2. That knee injury has certainly dropped his stock, but he was probably the top rated corner prior to that late injury. I'm thinking getting him later like the Steelers got Heath late in the first because of his injury.

My dark horse CB pick would come at about round 4 or 5 ... Damian Swann CB Georgia. His  numbers didn't look great last year and the opening game against Clemson was a disaster for him (he was torched repeatedly). But Georgia's run defense sucked, so more teams ran the ball and when they did throw, they were catching the Georgia DBs on play action. It's a long shot, but the kid moves very well and you can see his talent in the tapes. And I confess, I watch a lot of Georgia football, so there's a bias there. (On that note, if you ever want to watch a good run game, catch Nick Chubb RB Georgia run the rock next year. As a freshman he was a man among boys.)

Also in the mid rounds, you might have a shot at Byron Jones CB Connecticut. A shoulder injury ended his year last year, so his stock will drop as well. Maybe Ladarius Gunter CB Miami might work in the mid rounds. I threw Jones and Gunter in there because they are both over 6 feet tall and about 200 lbs. Just thinking of a sizable, physical corner.

Walford would be a good TE in the 3rd round. But check out Nick O'Leary TE Florida St ... he's an outstanding athlete that hasn't had much attention. He didn't have to develop as a blocker, so that is a concern. However, he had good production for a team that spread the ball all over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Draft Discussion   2015 Draft Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

2015 Draft Discussion
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next