Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

“Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

“Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger Empty
PostSubject: “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger    “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 2:13 am

Remember all those rumors about what a jerk Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was during his early years in Pittsburgh? They apparently were true.

Former Steelers assistant Bruce Arians, whose close relationship with Roethlisberger arguably contributed to the team’s decision to “retire” Arians five years ago, explains in The Quarterback Whisperer that Young Ben was a big problem for the Pittsburgh Steelers — and that one key moment changed things.

“During the [2005] season Ben often acted immature, as if all the stories that documented the greatness of ‘Big Ben’ had gone to his head,” Arians writes. “He wasn’t signing as many autographs for teammates as he should; some days he would sign, some days he wouldn’t.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/10/blunt-message-from-joey-porter-sparked-change-in-young-ben-roethlisberger/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

“Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger Empty
PostSubject: Re: “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger    “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 6:15 am

Whatever it took he's a better man for it. I can imagine having everyone around you telling you how great you are or how great you're going to be. This can easily go to a man's head but somewhere along the line humility has to play a role. If it doesn't all he'll hear about is what an asshole he's been.
It's all part of growing up.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger    “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger EmptyWed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 am

I think people have to realize that these guys coming out of college are still pretty young coming into the NFL. They're still kids, they're life experiences consist of school and football, and student athletes who are on scholarships often times don't have jobs. It's their first taste of life after college and they're making too much money, and having fame thrown their way. It's a learning experience, I know I was pretty dumb and naive at 20-21yrs of age. I learned a lot of things along the way. Ben is no different, and by all accounts looks to have totally turned his life around. Now he looks like a grizzled leader, rather than the dumb frat-boy football player coming out of college.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger    “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger EmptyWed Jul 12, 2017 8:47 am

There's no question that Ben finally grew up. It took him a while, but he eventually got his head screwed on straight, and I give him credit for finally turning into the player and person many fans always thought he was.

I remember spending a lot of time in the early years arguing with other fans and trying to convince them that Ben wasn't the greatest of teammates and had some personality issues he needed to straighten out. I wasn't alone on that side of the argument, but most fans wanted to believe that the media was just making stuff up. Nonetheless, I'm happy for Ben that he straightened out and didn't become another NFL casualty.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger    “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger EmptyWed Jul 12, 2017 11:34 am

Wallace108 wrote:
There's no question that Ben finally grew up. It took him a while, but he eventually got his head screwed on straight, and I give him credit for finally turning into the player and person many fans always thought he was.

I remember spending a lot of time in the early years arguing with other fans and trying to convince them that Ben wasn't the greatest of teammates and had some personality issues he needed to straighten out. I wasn't alone on that side of the argument, but most fans wanted to believe that the media was just making stuff up. Nonetheless, I'm happy for Ben that he straightened out and didn't become another NFL casualty.

Funny how fans can turn a blind eye to a guy being somewhat of a diva, bordering on douchebag, just because he plays for your team isn't it? Forget the lawsuits, bike crashes and public stuff, but even the stories about Arnie's golf course, or parking his Escalade in front of his condo blocking other residents, etc. point to him not being the greatest of people.

Keep it in perspective. Ben was a prima donna jackass that needed advice from Joey Porter? Porter needed advice last year to stay out of jail and not get fired. The kind of advice like ...stay out of the bar at 2am during the playoffs.

As a fan for over 35 years, to me the name on the back of the jersey is never as important as the name on the front of the jersey, or the emblem on one side of the helmet.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger    “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger EmptyWed Jul 12, 2017 1:14 pm

You didn't have to be a genius to see what an a-hole he was and still is. You can tell by his interviews. Never liked his interviews. Came off sluggish and full of shit. Hines Ward having issues with him was my proof.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger    “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger EmptyThu Jul 13, 2017 2:48 am

OX1947 wrote:
You didn't have to be a genius to see what an a-hole he was and still is. You can tell by his interviews. Never liked his interviews. Came off sluggish and full of shit. Hines Ward having issues with him was my proof.  

I don't think he's still an asshole. Dude donates money and time to local police departments helping them buy new police dogs. He is married, has a nice family, and looks to be a family man by everything I've seen. He's done just about everything right to repair his image. I can see why Hines didn't like him because Hines dealt with Ben during those years where he was still acting like an entitled frat boy. I think Ben's gotten past that.

I'd probably be a shitty interview as well, I hate reporters and the media.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger    “Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger Empty

Back to top Go down

“Blunt” message from Joey Porter sparked change in young Ben Roethlisberger
Page 1 of 1