Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season

Go down 
+13
Fire Arians
BlackAndGold
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Hawaii 5-0
El-Gonzo Jackson
solardave
IowaSteeler927
FrancoLambert
SteelersYak
Atlanta Dan
kirklandrules
Drizztbob
SteelCityUnderground
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season Empty
PostSubject: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyThu May 26, 2016 11:38 am

Due to all of the great fans I talk to about Steelers football daily, I realize there’s one man on the Pittsburgh roster that no one is talking about: last year’s 5th round draft choice, tight end Jesse James.

A massive spotlight was shone on the 6′ 7″ 254 lbs. prospect from Penn State after Heath Miller hung up his cleats in March. The retirement of Miller left big shoes to fill: Miller put up franchise numbers, arguably becoming the franchise’s greatest TE over 11 seasons with the Steelers. Since free agency and the NFL Draft were still weeks away, everyone’s attention flipped toward the 2nd year player and if he could fill the role left by an all-time great.

Then free agency arrived. The Steelers signed former San Diego Charger, Ladarius Green, to presumably fill Miller’s starting spot. Green, a part-time starter in San Diego (behind potential future Hall of Famer Antonio Gates) put up solid figures in Gates‘ absence and appears primed to strike in the Steelers high octane offense.

More news altered the landscape, as WR Martavis Bryant received a year-long suspension, and replacing his production became the focal point of many writers and analysts (myself included.) We all pretty much forgot about Jesse James; but we shouldn’t.

Read more: http://www.steelcityunderground.com/2016/05/23/jesse-james-steelers-secret-weapon-season/

http://steelcityunderground.com
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyThu May 26, 2016 1:02 pm

Would be cool to watch them run more 2 TE sets utilizing the possible soft coverage put upon James. And with Green's ankle surgery, who knows if he will last the whole way or even be ready for the start? Then certainly, James will be the go to guy.

SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyThu May 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
Would be cool to watch them run more 2 TE sets utilizing the possible soft coverage put upon James.  And with Green's ankle surgery, who knows if he will last the whole way or even be ready for the start?  Then certainly, James will be the go to guy.

I don't find these type of surgeries to be anything more than maintenance or a tune up IMO. Better to get this out of the way now if something's nagging you.

kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyThu May 26, 2016 4:06 pm

Another great write-up SCU!

Haley has to love the opportunities to find the perfect match-ups this year. Goal line seems to be a good place for two very tall TEs along with Bell, Brown and Wheaton. But imagine that same lineup on 1st downs. Double TEs, Brown out wide on one side, Wheaton wide on the other, and Bell in the backfield. Run, pass, screen, bubble screen?
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyThu May 26, 2016 4:38 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Another great write-up SCU!

Haley has to love the opportunities to find the perfect match-ups this year. Goal line seems to be a good place for two very tall TEs along with Bell, Brown and Wheaton. But imagine that same lineup on 1st downs. Double TEs, Brown out wide on one side, Wheaton wide on the other, and Bell in the backfield. Run, pass, screen, bubble screen?

Thanks Kirkland!

And WTH are they going to do when AB moves into the slot? Bell also goes into slot sometimes too. There's still the possibility of the dual-headed monster with Bell and Williams too. A lot of possibilities, but still wish MB didn't screw up!

Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyFri May 27, 2016 9:54 am

Gerry Dulac of the P-G states another TE may be in jeopardy

Who do you think will be the surprise cut this year?

Gerry Dulac: Matt Spaeth

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/05/25/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-5-25-16/stories/201605250125
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyFri May 27, 2016 12:15 pm

I have David Johnson on the bubble, but Spaeth is a valid point.

SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyFri May 27, 2016 5:56 pm

I would love for Jesse James to take that number 1 spot. My Steelers buddies seem to be pretty big on him and I just don't know enough about him to have an opinion.

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyFri May 27, 2016 9:06 pm

David Johnson wasn't brought back with the hope of catching passes.

It's doubtful his hands have improved. Rolling Eyes

He'll compete with Spaeth to block and only block. The better run blocker will be TE #3.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptySat May 28, 2016 3:34 am

I think Heath Miller decided to retire having some kind of inkling or level of comfortability with the guys that are going to take over the mantle. I think Heath would've stuck around for another season if he didn't think James, Spaeth, and Green could hold down the fort, or needed more time to develop. From what I've seen of James the kid has shown plenty of flashes that he can be both a threat in the passing game, and a force while blocking. With experience under his belt, and a more thorough grasp of the offense I think we're going to see James make a big leap from last season. Green is going to be more of a pure passing threat, I think they'll utilizing him from the TE spots, and also as a receiver to keep defenses completely off balance. Spaeth will be the blocker, he's always been a damn good blocker. I think they might keep Johnson around as fresh legs for blocking as well, but he'd be the one I'd have on the bubble if they were to release one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptySat May 28, 2016 8:40 am

This may be true early on but by mid season he should be pretty well known. right now Green is a mystery. We know he won't be our best blocking TE (Green) but when we put both of them on the field who do opposing defenses cover. Both? What about AB,MW,SC,LB and DHB?
On paper this is one scary offense for anyone we play.

Can we please start the games now? Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season 1372836603
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptySat May 28, 2016 11:35 am

James will more likely be kept a secret. At any one time he is the 6th most talented option at Ben's disposal. Hope he improves his blocking.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptySat May 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib May 27

You can tell the improvement from Jesse James as well. Predicting 5-7 TDs this year

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptySat May 28, 2016 5:44 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib  May 27

You can tell the improvement from Jesse James as well. Predicting 5-7 TDs this year

Where do I sign??? Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season 469886443

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptySat May 28, 2016 7:04 pm

5-7? Is it that noticable of a difference?
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptySat May 28, 2016 8:15 pm

If James steps up big time, him and Green would cause serious match up problems for teams.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptySun May 29, 2016 10:28 am

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:

He had 8 receptions and 1 TD last year as a rookie. So something like 40 catches and 5TD would be a good progression. I still think Brown, Wheaton, Bell, Coates, Green are all more talented offensive players and there are only so many passes to go around. BUT, ........its a great problem to have.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptySun May 29, 2016 8:01 pm

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:

1 TD becomes 5-7 TD's....as the #2 TE.....yeah, I'd call it a noticeable difference.  Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season 1372836603
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Continuing my relationship with BTSC, I put some more meat on the bones of this article, which is now up on their site: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2016/6/9/11874132/the-pittsburgh-steelers-secret-weapon-no-one-is-talking-about-te

Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyThu Jun 09, 2016 1:50 pm

I thought James was almost ready last year tbh. He looked really good in blocking and seemed like a better pass catcher downfield than Heath did already (at this point in their careers). People are talking about Ladarius Green being the new TE but I honestly think it's going to be James. Green would probably see the field in passing situations and the 2TE set could possibly be dangerous.

I hear a knock against Green in SD was he wasn't very consistent, so that has me temper my expectations on him. But I think James could have a breakout season, I liked what I saw in his game last year and the strides he made. He will be the real deal.

My prediction: James becomes the starter and has a pretty good season. Green doesn't have the size to be an every-down TE (238 lbs, I don't think that'll be enough to seal an OLB)
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyFri Jun 10, 2016 11:50 am

I've also put an audio version of this article up, as part of today's podcast. You can check it out below.

It's nothing groundbreaking, but I know it's easier for some people to listen in the car while commuting, instead of reading.

http://www.steelcityunderground.com/podcast/2016/06/pittsburgh-steelers-secret-weapon-no-one-talking-te-jesse-james/

Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 8:10 pm

PFF 10 WORST INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCES OF WEEK 2

Jesse James, TE, Pittsburgh Steelers (33.1)

Jesse James caught three passes from Ben Roethlisberger for 29 yards and a touchdown, so it might seem like he had a good day according to the box score. But my oh my, was he ever having a tough time blocking. James was beaten like a drum to the tune of seven run stops. Even on plays where he didn’t surrender the stop, he allowed his man to completely disrupt the intention of the play.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-10-worst-individual-performances-of-week-2/?utm_source=email92016&utm_medium=email
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 11:11 pm

JJ cant block. That is a major issue. I hope green can be that guy. I do not know if JJ has the skillset to improve on blocking. So haley will have to use him for passing plays only.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyWed Sep 21, 2016 8:45 am

OX1947 wrote:
JJ cant block. That is a major issue. I hope green can be that guy. I do not know if JJ has the skillset to improve on blocking. So haley will have to use him for passing plays only.

According to the Charger fans, Green can't block either. That's one reason they weren't sad to see him go.
Back to top Go down
Steelcitian

Steelcitian

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season EmptyWed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 am

In FF I have Gronk and he was out so I picked up Jesse James and he gets the TD.
I like what I'm seeing out of him so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season   Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season Empty

Back to top Go down

Jesse James Could Be The Steelers Secret Weapon This Season
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next