Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBrowns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread

Go down 
+17
kirklandrules
El-Gonzo Jackson
Wallace108
SteelerFreak58
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
effyou515
WVABE
SteelerSpartan
Atlanta Dan
LambertWardSteel
Fire Arians
kan_t
Lokki
OX1947
SteelCity4Life
solardave
jak341
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 8:43 am

solardave wrote:

We will need both of them if we're gonna stop the run.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Ajayi is already licking his chops after putting up 200+ on us earlier in the season.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 9:27 am

Lokki wrote:
solardave wrote:

We will need both of them if we're gonna stop the run.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Ajayi is already licking his chops after putting up 200+ on us earlier in the season.  

I imagine the Steelers defensive front 7 are just as anxious to see Ajayi again in order to get a different outcome.
Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 9:39 am

Not only did Jones do a nice job for never playing but he did it without Brown, Bell, Green and Pouncy
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 10:07 am

rellimie wrote:
Not only did Jones do a nice job for never playing but he did it without Brown, Bell, Green and Pouncy

Careful....that is almost a compliment of Landry Jones. That should get you verbally abused around here. Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 512807920

Borderline grounds for getting banned. Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 1072540953
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 11:17 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
rellimie wrote:

Careful....that is almost a compliment of Landry Jones.  That should get you verbally abused around here.  Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 512807920

Borderline grounds for getting banned. Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 1072540953

I started off blasting the guy. Then I switched gears by comparing him to Ben on a bad day. Now I look at him as a QB that started out bad and figured it out. Maybe he is a legitimate back up. He did finish well and won the game and that is a compliment. Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 1647293567
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 12:56 pm

Call me crazy but I don't think the Browns wanted to win that game. They had numerous chances to close out the game but costly fumbles and a missed fg. I don't know something just seems fishy about that. Would they have lost the #1 pick if they won?
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
Call me crazy but I don't think the Browns wanted to win that game. They had numerous chances to close out the game but costly fumbles and a missed fg. I don't know something just seems fishy about that. Would they have lost the #1 pick if they won?

You are crazy. Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 2217377625

If they are trying to lose, there is no way they get an INT, just to fumble it thru the endzone. Also, there is no way they drive all the way down the field to fumble on the Steelers 1 and finally, they don't drive in OT to the shadow of a TD, just to have a 20 yard loss and kick a FG.

That was Bob Griffin at QB and he was made to look like Mark Brunell running the west coast offense for most of the game, but he is still a guy that wont be in the NFL in 2 seasons. If they were trying to fail, it would have been much worse. Its just the clowns being terrible.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Browns defiantly were trying to win that game. DHB play won it for the Steelers. If he doesn't make that play, Steelers are down 21-7 late in the game and all momentum with the Browns. Unlikely Tomlin plays Shazier and those guys to risk injury if they scored there. I wouldn't have.

It's funny, Tomlin has issues playing up against teams the Steelers should beat. But his best work is when his team is handicapped. Whether it's from suspensions or resting players, he seems to coach these games for wins or near wins when he might not have any business winning them.
Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 2:49 pm

If that was the Clowns being terrible then that's not saying much for our D.
They didn't have to much trouble moving the ball.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 3:12 pm

WVABE wrote:
If that was the Clowns being terrible then that's not saying much for our D.
They didn't have to much trouble moving the ball.

I don't think the Steelers took them seriously the entire game. Steelers didnt have their 2nd stringers in there, they had their 3rd and 4th in there and still won. Browns are BAD!!!! RG III is BAD. That team for the last 17 years has been as bad as the Lions have been for the last 57 years.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 4:12 pm

OX1947 wrote:
Browns defiantly were trying to win that game. DHB play won it for the Steelers. If he doesn't make that play, Steelers are down 21-7 late in the game and all momentum with the Browns. Unlikely Tomlin plays Shazier and those guys to risk injury if they scored there. I wouldn't have.

It's funny, Tomlin has issues playing up against teams the Steelers should beat. But his best work is when his team is handicapped. Whether it's from suspensions or resting players, he seems to coach these games for wins or near wins when he might not have any business winning them.

Sorry, but just as I don't give Tomlin the load of blame for losing a game like the Dolphins game (one where many thought the Steelers were much superior to, but actually are not), I don't give him the lion share of credit for the win yesterday.

Tomlin didn't hustle back to knock the ball out of the Browns DB on the goal line. Tomlin didn't cause the fumble in the shadow of the Steelers end zone, Tomlin didn't stand in and make some tough throws to move the ball when needed and he sure didn't make the game winning TD catch in the end zone.

Its why all this notion of ..."Tomlin cant win against bad teams but can beat tough teams" is something fans like to manufacture to doubt on the coach when its convenient or pump him up the same. Nobody is scheduling Austen Peay for homecoming in the NFL. Every game has the potential to win or lose, but the fact the guy has had 7 out of 10 seasons with 10 wins or more says enough about his leadership and the coaches, players that goes out and does the job on Sundays.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 4:34 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

Sorry, but just as I don't give Tomlin the load of blame for losing a game like the Dolphins game (one where many thought the Steelers were much superior to, but actually are not), I don't give him the lion share of credit for the win yesterday.  

Tomlin didn't hustle back to knock the ball out of the Browns DB on the goal line.  Tomlin didn't cause the fumble in the shadow of the Steelers end zone, Tomlin didn't stand in and make some tough throws to move the ball when needed and he sure didn't make the game winning TD catch in the end zone.

Its why all this notion of ..."Tomlin cant win against bad teams but can beat tough teams" is something fans like to manufacture to doubt on the coach when its convenient or pump him up the same.  Nobody is scheduling Austen Peay for homecoming in the NFL.  Every game has the potential to win or lose, but the fact the guy has had 7 out of 10 seasons with 10 wins or more says enough about his leadership and the coaches, players that goes out and does the job on Sundays.

It isn't a notion, it's reality. Tomlin has had a chronic issue prepping his teams against lesser football teams. The good thing is, this is the playoffs, and the reality is as long as it's not Tim Tebow, Tomlin usually has his guys ready for the playoff run.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 9:56 pm

OX1947 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

Tomlin didn't hustle back to knock the ball out of the Browns DB on the goal line.  Tomlin didn't cause the fumble in the shadow of the Steelers end zone, Tomlin didn't stand in and make some tough throws to move the ball when needed and he sure didn't make the game winning TD catch in the end zone.

Its why all this notion of ..."Tomlin cant win against bad teams but can beat tough teams" is something fans like to manufacture to doubt on the coach when its convenient or pump him up the same.  Nobody is scheduling Austen Peay for homecoming in the NFL.  Every game has the potential to win or lose, but the fact the guy has had 7 out of 10 seasons with 10 wins or more says enough about his leadership and the coaches, players that goes out and does the job on Sundays.

It isn't a notion, it's reality. Tomlin has had a chronic issue prepping his teams against lesser football teams. The good thing is, this is the playoffs, and the reality is as long as it's not Tim Tebow, Tomlin usually has his guys ready for the playoff run.

So what "lesser football teams" did Tomlin lose to this year?

Steelers lost to Patriots*, Cowboys, Ravens, Dolphins and Eagles. 3 of those 5 teams are in the playoffs, while the Ravens were 1/2 an Antonio Brown arm length from being a playoff team. The Eagles beat the Falcons, Giants, Cowboys and was a 2 point conversion from beating the Ravens.

The state of parity in the NFL really makes the notion of "lesser football teams" something that fans and media create by looking at records. The Seahawks lost to the Rams and Cardinals this season, which one could argue are worse teams than the Eagles and Ravens...yet nobody is blaming Pete Carrol for not getting his guys ready to play. I wonder why. Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 2829330259
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 1:08 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

So what "lesser football teams" did Tomlin lose to this year?

Steelers lost to Patriots**, Cowboys, Ravens, Dolphins and Eagles.  3 of those 5 teams are in the playoffs, while the Ravens were 1/2 an Antonio Brown arm length from being a playoff team.  The Eagles beat the Falcons, Giants, Cowboys and was a 2 point conversion from beating the Ravens.

The state of parity in the NFL really makes the notion of "lesser football teams" something that fans and media create by looking at records.  The Seahawks lost to the Rams and Cardinals this season, which one could argue are worse teams than the Eagles and Ravens...yet nobody is blaming Pete Carrol for not getting his guys ready to play.  I wonder why.  Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 2829330259

Losing to the Eagles with a rookie QB should never happen. They win that game and they have another week off. Ill give you the rest, even though the Dolphins suck. I cant figure out how they are in the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 4:50 am

I'm not that worried about our D, they simply weren't taking the game seriously. Shazier called them out on it. I can imagine it's hard to get a bunch of veterans fired up for a game against the Browns when they've played two brutally physical games the past two weeks, and they've already clinched the playoffs.

Fact is, they ended up winning it. We'll be healthier going into this weekend with Stephon Tuitt coming back, and we'll have all our starters. The attitude will be much more serious come Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 9:41 am

OX1947 wrote:
the Dolphins suck. I cant figure out how they are in the playoffs.

Look at their roster. That Offensive line when healthy was just as good as the Steelers and their WR group of Devante Parker, Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills is better overall than the Steelers right now. Then look at a front 7 that includes Suh, Mario Williams, Cam Wake, Donald Butler and Kiko Alonso. Defensively, the Dolphins are better than the Steelers. This game is by no means a gimme on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 10:29 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

Look at their roster.  That Offensive line when healthy was just as good as the Steelers and their WR group of Devante Parker, Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills is better overall than the Steelers right now.  Then look at a front 7 that includes Suh, Mario Williams, Cam Wake, Donald Butler and Kiko Alonso.  Defensively, the Dolphins are better than the Steelers.   This game is by no means a gimme on Sunday.

Fully agree with this. However, Vegas does not agree. They currently have the Steelers -10.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 11:22 am

jak341 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

Look at their roster.  That Offensive line when healthy was just as good as the Steelers and their WR group of Devante Parker, Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills is better overall than the Steelers right now.  Then look at a front 7 that includes Suh, Mario Williams, Cam Wake, Donald Butler and Kiko Alonso.  Defensively, the Dolphins are better than the Steelers.   This game is by no means a gimme on Sunday.

Fully agree with this. However, Vegas does not agree. They currently have the Steelers -10.

Yeah, they generally give 3 points for home field and I guess we are a TD favorite on top of that. Probably the Matt Moore factor. I'm not giving my buddy who is a Miami fan 10 points.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 11:38 am

solardave wrote:
Maybe we make some adjustments at halftime. I'd like to see Cockrell replaced with Gilbert.

Good thing they didn't. Cockrell had a pretty good game and actually ranked out by PFF as the top Steelers defender.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-cle-pit-grades/

And for all the Landry Jones angst by some fans, he had a passer rating of 103.1 on Sunday. That is much better than Ben's rating against the Browns in week 11 of 74.7.

So Landry Jones played better at QB against a Browns team without Bell, Brown and Ladarius Green, than Ben Roethisberger did with those guys. I'd love to see somebody explain that. Maybe Ben plays down to bad football teams and Landry Jones doesn't?? Oh no........BLASPHEMY!!
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 12:11 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
solardave wrote:
Maybe we make some adjustments at halftime. I'd like to see Cockrell replaced with Gilbert.

Good thing they didn't.  Cockrell had a pretty good game and actually ranked out by PFF as the top Steelers defender.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-cle-pit-grades/

And for all the Landry Jones angst by some fans, he had a passer rating of 103.1 on Sunday.  That is much better than Ben's rating against the Browns in week 11 of 74.7.  

So Landry Jones played better at QB against a Browns team without Bell, Brown and Ladarius Green, than Ben Roethisberger did with those guys.  I'd love to see somebody explain that.  Maybe Ben plays down to bad football teams and Landry Jones doesn't??  Oh no........BLASPHEMY!!  

Maybe because Jones was putting on a performance for his future? Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 2087824411

Or, like you said, Ben sucks against the suckiest of teams?

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 12:36 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
, Ben sucks against the suckiest of teams?

That might be something. From 2005-2016 the Steelers have 12 wins and 10 losses without Ben in the lineup. It seems like the coaches do a great job of playing without their HOF QB and manage to still have a winning record. So maybe Ben sucks against the suckiest of teams and play down to his competition, while the reserves come in and rise above expectations to be competitive?

Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 1401235891
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 1:11 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
solardave wrote:

At some point, J. Gilbert went out with a shoulder injury. That's probably why we didn't see him at all.
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 4:19 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

I guarantee the Steelers win this game.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 4:55 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

They might have some playmakers, but overall their defense is lacking. Mario Williams has 1.5 sacks this season and is getting cut come the end of the season, Cameron Wake is probably their best pass rusher with 11.5 sacks. Their best tackler is Alonso. Their defense is not better than ours. They have a sack total of 33, ours is 38. Miami is 29th in total defense, we're 12th. They are not better than us defensively. We might not have one individual putting up great stats but we play better team defense overall.

Jarvis Landry is a good reciever, but Brown is better. I'll give you Stills and Parker though. They are playing at full strength, we're still trying to find that WR2 ever since Coates broke his fingers. Eli Rogers is getting better and better though, and my X Factor for this game is Demarcus Ayers whose shown some flashes that he can play. So on paper they're better and more consistent at the WR position, but they'll also be going up against our secondary which is playing pretty well, better than they were earlier this season when the Dolphins beat us.

The key to shutting Miami down though is going to be stopping Ajayi. I think we can definitely do that. Our defense is still salty about giving up 200yds to that kid before, I guarantee that's their main focus this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 5:35 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

They might have some playmakers, but overall their defense is lacking. Mario Williams has 1.5 sacks this season and is getting cut come the end of the season, Cameron Wake is probably their best pass rusher with 11.5 sacks. Their best tackler is Alonso. Their defense is not better than ours. They have a sack total of 33, ours is 38. Miami is 29th in total defense, we're 12th. They are not better than us defensively. We might not have one individual putting up great stats but we play better team defense overall.

Jarvis Landry is a good reciever, but Brown is better. I'll give you Stills and Parker though. They are playing at full strength, we're still trying to find that WR2 ever since Coates broke his fingers. Eli Rogers is getting better and better though, and my X Factor for this game is Demarcus Ayers whose shown some flashes that he can play. So on paper they're better and more consistent at the WR position, but they'll also be going up against our secondary which is playing pretty well, better than they were earlier this season when the Dolphins beat us.

The key to shutting Miami down though is going to be stopping Ajayi. I think we can definitely do that. Our defense is still salty about giving up 200yds to that kid before, I guarantee that's their main focus this weekend.

Who is better Suh, or Tuitt(if he can play). Mario Williams or Ricardo Matthews(if he can play)? Cam Wake or James Harrison?? I would say Wake is better at this point of his career. I think Timmons and Shazier are playing better than Alonso and Butler, but they are good too. The dolphin safeties I think are better than Steelers, but corners are similar.

I agree, the key will be stopping the run and Ajayi and if Tuitt and Hargrave are healthy they have a good chance. I see Ayers as a poor mans Eli Rogers, but the X factor is that Ben can find any of those guys if he is kept clean by the O line. The threat of #89 and #85 (again if healthy) is bigger than Ayers IMO.

My point is that the Dolphins don't suck, they have talent and Matt Moore is a backup, but it wouldn't be the first time the Steelers let a backup QB get the better of them. Lets just hope it doesn't happen this week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread    Browns at Steelers -  Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread  - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Browns at Steelers - Nearly Meaningless In Game Thread
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next