Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeDepressing Steelers History Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Depressing Steelers History

Go down 
+4
solardave
El-Gonzo Jackson
Fire Arians
Vis
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Vis

Vis

Depressing Steelers History Empty
PostSubject: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyTue May 09, 2017 9:27 am

Quote :
NICK SCIULLI FROM CINCINNATI, OH:
In your opinion, who are some of the biggest draft busts in Steelers history? I always think of Limas Sweed, but I'm a little younger though, only 24 years old.

ANSWER: Limas Sweed was a disappointment, but as a second-round pick, I don’t believe he even comes close to being among the Steelers biggest draft busts in their history. Remember, the Steelers went 40 years in the NFL before winning as much as a division title. In their long history,...

http://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered/article-1/Asked-and-Answered-May-9/892335ae-2c22-4c1a-834b-b1ff41d4b245

Asked and Answered. Click the link and keep reading the response. It's amazing who we missed having. Marino didn't even make the list.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyTue May 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Alonzo Jackson, Huey Richardson, Troy Edwards, Bruce Davis. All kinds of misses in the draft and it happens.

I recall when the 08 pick came up on the 2nd round I was really hoping for Jeremy Zuttah OG in the 2nd round when they went with Sweed.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyTue May 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Jamain Stephens was more disappointing than Sweed imo.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyTue May 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Fire Arians wrote:

True, as a 1st round pick Stephens was brutal. Kind of in that Huey Richardson territory. I think the next tier is Jarvis Jones and maybe Tim Worley, who played but was never really a contributor of much value. Then the guys like Troy Edwards, Walter Abercrombie, Deion Figures who put in a few good years, but never really played like a 1st round pick.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyTue May 09, 2017 3:22 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

True, as a 1st round pick Stephens was brutal.  Kind of in that Huey Richardson territory.  I think the next tier is Jarvis Jones and maybe Tim Worley, who played but was never really a contributor of much value.  Then the guys like Troy Edwards, Walter Abercrombie, Deion Figures who put in a few good years, but never really played like a 1st round pick.

What round was Chad Scott picked in? He was a long term bust if you ask me. Cowher for some reason kept him on the field.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyTue May 09, 2017 3:40 pm

solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

True, as a 1st round pick Stephens was brutal.  Kind of in that Huey Richardson territory.  I think the next tier is Jarvis Jones and maybe Tim Worley, who played but was never really a contributor of much value.  Then the guys like Troy Edwards, Walter Abercrombie, Deion Figures who put in a few good years, but never really played like a 1st round pick.

What round was Chad Scott picked in? He was a long term bust if you ask me. Cowher for some reason kept him on the field.

Do you mean the Chad Scott that had an 11 year career in the NFL, with 21 career INT and 4 TD's at CB?? He was picked in the 1st round.
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyTue May 09, 2017 8:35 pm

Did you all miss the Gale Sayers, etc... portion of the response?

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyTue May 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Gale Sayers I heard was one heck of a player.

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyWed May 10, 2017 12:39 am

Bradshaw's heir apparent and 1st round pick in 1980 didn't exactly have a stellar career. Not sure how he lasted 7 years with us. I think we should add that pick to the list...

Hope that doesn't happen this time with Ben's successor (whoever that may be)
Back to top Go down
schillah

schillah

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyWed May 10, 2017 2:02 am

solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

I didn't mind Chad as much as I did Dewayne Washington later in his career. The allow a reception then proceed to miss a tackle killed me

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyWed May 10, 2017 4:53 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

Do you mean the Chad Scott that had an 11 year career in the NFL, with 21 career INT and 4 TD's at CB??  He was picked in the 1st round.

According to this he only played 9 years. Seven here and two in N.E. If you look at his stats he looks like a starter but what I remember is a guy getting burned all the time because he was out of position.

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles Sacks & Tackles
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Tkl Ast Sfty AV
1997 23 PIT rcb 30 13 9 2 -4 0 0 0 45 2 3
1999 25 PIT c/cb/LCB 30 13 12 1 16 0 16 0 49 1 8
2000 26 PIT LCB 30 16 16 5 49 0 33 0 0 0 2 6 0 64 6 9
2001 27 PIT LCB 30 15 15 5 204 2 62 19 71 9 9
2002 28 PIT LCB 30 15 15 2 30 1 30 16 66 17 6
2003 29 PIT LCB 30 12 12 3 50 1 26 9 1 0 0 0 0 43 12 6
2004 30 PIT lcb/rcb 30 7 7 1 23 0 23 7 27 2 3
2005 31 NWE 30 3 0 4 0 0
2006 32 NWE lcb/rcb/ss 30 14 9 2 32 0 32 4 37 9 6
Career 108 95 21 400 4 62 55 1 0 2 6 0 406 58 50
7 yrs PIT 91 86 19 368 4 62 51 1 0 2 6 0 365 49 44
2 yrs NWE 17 9 2 32 0 32 4 41 9 6
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyWed May 10, 2017 9:17 am

solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

Do you mean the Chad Scott that had an 11 year career in the NFL, with 21 career INT and 4 TD's at CB??  He was picked in the 1st round.

According to this he only played 9 years. Seven here and two in N.E. If you look at his stats he looks like a starter but what I remember is a guy getting burned all the time because he was out of position.

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles Sacks & Tackles
1997 23 PIT rcb 30 13 9 2 -4 0 0 0 45 2 3
1999 25 PIT c/cb/LCB 30 13 12 1 16 0 16 0 49 1 8
2000 26 PIT LCB 30 16 16 5 49 0 33 0 0 0 2 6 0 64 6 9
2001 27 PIT LCB 30 15 15 5 204 2 62 19 71 9 9
2002 28 PIT LCB 30 15 15 2 30 1 30 16 66 17 6
2003 29 PIT LCB 30 12 12 3 50 1 26 9 1 0 0 0 0 43 12 6
2004 30 PIT lcb/rcb 30 7 7 1 23 0 23 7 27 2 3
2005 31 NWE 30 3 0 4 0 0
2006 32 NWE lcb/rcb/ss 30 14 9 2 32 0 32 4 37 9 6
Career 108 95 21 400 4 62 55 1 0 2 6 0 406 58 50
7 yrs PIT 91 86 19 368 4 62 51 1 0 2 6 0 365 49 44
2 yrs NWE 17 9 2 32 0 32 4 41 9 6

http://www.nfl.com/player/chadscott/2502867/profile

NFL.com says 11 season and has stats for 10 seasons at the link.

I remember a tall CB that was drafted in the bottom of the 1st round and many Steeler fans complaining that he was a bust because he wasn't Pro Bowl caliber. Kind of similar to the Lawrence Timmons expectations.

I also recall a lot of Steeler fans complaining about Chad Scott and Dewayne Washington at CB, when I bet if you look at the rankings back then, the Steelers pass defense was one of the better ones in the league. Its kind of like now when the Steelers O line is possibly a top 5 unit, but many fans just bitch that Ramon Foster or Marcus Gilbert sucks.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyWed May 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Yeah I never understood the Chad Scott hate. He wasn't as good as we hoped he'd be, but he certainly wasn't what I'd call a bust, we did get a lot of playing time out of him, and he did turn in a couple decent seasons. Not every first round pick is going to be a perrenial pro bowler, but i'd say it's a par if you get someone that's a long-term starter, which is what he was.

Though he did come in around the time when Rod Woodson was leaving, so Steeler fans all had the bar set pretty high on what a CB should be. And well, you compare almost ANY cornerback to Rod Woodson, and you're going to be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyWed May 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Chad Scott was OK, but he never lived up to his potential, probably because he was hampered by injuries. To put his career in Pittsburgh in perspective, he was replaced by the great Willie Williams.

Quote :
Scott played for eight seasons with the Steelers and was released by the team this season after they decided to move forward with Willie Williams. Williams was signed when Scott went down with injuries. He replaced the injured Scott at mid-season and played well enough to keep the job once Scott returned.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/Patriots**/story/374405-free-agency-Patriots**-sign-chad-scott

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyThu May 11, 2017 12:25 am

Fire Arians wrote:
Yeah I never understood the Chad Scott hate. He wasn't as good as we hoped he'd be, but he certainly wasn't what I'd call a bust, we did get a lot of playing time out of him, and he did turn in a couple decent seasons. Not every first round pick is going to be a perrenial pro bowler, but i'd say it's a par if you get someone that's a long-term starter, which is what he was.

Though he did come in around the time when Rod Woodson was leaving, so Steeler fans all had the bar set pretty high on what a CB should be. And well, you compare almost ANY cornerback to Rod Woodson, and you're going to be disappointed.

I agree, Scott was a lot like Timmons in that so many thought just because he was selected in the first round that he should be in the pro bowl each year. Timmons career has been better than Scott IMO, but just name some other Steelers CB's in the past 15 seasons that were better than Scott. (not named Ike Taylor)

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyThu May 11, 2017 4:24 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

I agree, Scott was a lot like Timmons in that so many thought just because he was selected in the first round that he should be in the pro bowl each year.  Timmons career has been better than Scott IMO, but just name some other Steelers CB's in the past 15 seasons that were better than Scott. (not named Ike Taylor)

I don't know about better but Townsend and Cockrell are as good. Neither one was first round. I see I'm in the minority with Scott and that's OK. Being spoiled by Woodson didn't help but I always felt your first round pick should shine and a CB stands out more when he plays poorly. If an ILBer misses a tackle there is almost always a safety or corner to pick up the slack. If the CB misses or the pass is caught it's at least for a big gain.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyThu May 11, 2017 10:28 am

solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

I agree, Scott was a lot like Timmons in that so many thought just because he was selected in the first round that he should be in the pro bowl each year.  Timmons career has been better than Scott IMO, but just name some other Steelers CB's in the past 15 seasons that were better than Scott. (not named Ike Taylor)

I don't know about better but Townsend and Cockrell are as good. Neither one was first round. I see I'm in the minority with Scott and that's OK. Being spoiled by Woodson didn't help but I always felt your first round pick should shine and a CB stands out more when he plays poorly. If an ILBer misses a tackle there is almost always a safety or corner to pick up the slack. If the CB misses or the pass is caught it's at least for a big gain.

I was thinking that Townsend was comparable to Scott as well. The difference is that Scott was drafted to be a starter on the outside, while Townsend was drafted as a nickel CB that eventually became a starter on the boundary. I always thought that Chad Scott and Dewayne Washington took a lot of heat from fans, when they played pretty well at CB. Neither was a pro bowler, but they seemed average.

I do find it interesting that Chad Scott gets more grief from Steeler fans for having a 10 year career, while fellow 1st round CB Deion Figures did substantially less and gets forgotten.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History EmptyThu May 11, 2017 11:51 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:

I was thinking that Townsend was comparable to Scott as well.  The difference is that Scott was drafted to be a starter on the outside, while Townsend was drafted as a nickel CB that eventually became a starter on the boundary.  I always thought that Chad Scott and Dewayne Washington took a lot of heat from fans, when they played pretty well at CB.  Neither was a pro bowler, but they seemed average.

I do find it interesting that Chad Scott gets more grief from Steeler fans for having a 10 year career, while fellow 1st round CB Deion Figures did substantially less and gets forgotten.

I guess I had it in for Scott. Washington I thought played better than Scott. I think it's safe to say Figures was a bust: Games Def Interceptions Fumbles Sacks & Tackles
1993 23 PIT db 21 15 4 1 78 0 78 0 1 2 2 6 0 38 0 3
1994 24 PIT RCB 21 16 15 1 0 1 0 0 1.0 56 14 6
1995 25 PIT db 21 14 1 10 0 1
1996 26 PIT db 21 16 3 2 13 0 13 0 0 0 1 0 0 54 5 3
1997 27 JAX RCB 27 16 12 5 48 0 32 0 56 2 6
1998 28 JAX rcb 27 16 5 1 0 0 0 0 32 2 3
Career 93 40 9 139 0 78 0 2 2 4 6 0 1.0 246 23 22
4 yrs PIT 61 23 3 91 0 78 0 2 2 4 6 0 1.0 158 19 13
2 yrs JAX 32 17 6 48 0 32 0 88 4 9
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Depressing Steelers History   Depressing Steelers History Empty

Back to top Go down

Depressing Steelers History
Page 1 of 1