Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison

Go down 
+16
Rick5895
Drizztbob
JPPT1974
Steeler-in-west
kirklandrules
Jazzo
rellimie
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
solardave
Fire Arians
Hawaii 5-0
Shalieve5090
LambertWardSteel
Wallace108
jak341
Lokki
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison Empty
PostSubject: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 2:59 pm

:(

Quote :
The Steelers activated offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert from the Reserve/Suspended by Commissioner List to the active roster, it was announced today.

To make room on the roster, the Steelers released linebacker James Harrison. Harrison, the team’s all-time sack leader with 80.5, originally signed with the Steelers as an undrafted rookie free agent on April 22, 2002. He’s started 107-of-177 regular-season games played for Pittsburgh (117-of-192 in his NFL career).

http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-4/Steelers-activate-Gilbert-release-Harrison/b9cd5f83-e502-4159-9220-4a538143c3a5
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 3:08 pm

And so ends the career of Harrison in Pittsburgh.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 3:17 pm

The end of an era, but we shouldn't be surprised. I just wish they would have released him after the season. Then again, he seemed pretty disgruntled, so it's possible he was starting to be a distraction. That's just speculation.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Could be. I wonder if that injury he had took away what was left of his game?

Overall though, Watt has displaced him in most facets of the game. Harrison's usage was extremely limited.

Another thought, if Jarvis Jones developed as they hoped, would Harrison even have been back?
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 4:49 pm

If he was becoming a distraction it had to be done. Otherwise I wish this had been handled differently. I think they owed him the respect of the last 2 games. This would almost be like releasing Lambert

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 5:22 pm

Wow. Don't read Twitter. So many Steelers "fans" hoping Harrison goes to N.E. and wins a SB with them.
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Damn, sucks to see Deebo go especially right now before a playoff run.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 6:20 pm

jak341 wrote:
And so ends the career of Harrison in Pittsburgh.

I think we will re-sign Deebo before the end of the season...
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 11:34 pm

jak341 wrote:
Wow. Don't read Twitter. So many Steelers "fans" hoping Harrison goes to N.E. and wins a SB with them.

Yeah right. if he does that he's gonna lose an AFC championship game with them Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 1:02 am

jak341 wrote:

I don't understand that mentality. I'm a Steelers fan first and foremost. I was a Steelers fan before any of the current players were alive, and I'll be a fan after they're long gone. I'd never put an individual player above the team.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 2:43 am

Wallace108 wrote:
jak341 wrote:

I don't understand that mentality. I'm a Steelers fan first and foremost. I was a Steelers fan before any of the current players were alive, and I'll be a fan after they're long gone. I'd never put an individual player above the team.

Probably the same people who said they boycotted the NFL and are still watching the games on the weekend
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 5:07 am

jak341 wrote:

Anyone who wishes that is not a fan. Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison 2913999526 Just an idiot dressed up in Steeler's clothes. Maybe they ought to root for them just for spite. Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison 2800024739
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 5:09 am

Harrison made a comment that if he knew how little he would be used he would have signed somewhere else. I'm sure there was a lot going on with him in the locker room that was distracting.
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Supposably he might be back
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 3:13 pm

solardave wrote:
jak341 wrote:

Anyone who wishes that is not a fan. Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison 2913999526 Just an idiot dressed up in Steeler's clothes. Maybe they ought to root for them just for spite. Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison 2800024739
It's amazing how ignorant many so called fans are. I try not to read stories about the Steelers on ESPN or NFL.com because there's always some dumbass who thinks Tomlin is an awful coach and should be fired. Anyhow, Harrison will be missed but it was time. It does suck it came this time of year but it seems it was mutual.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptyMon Dec 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
jak341 wrote:

Agree 100%. I understand the feeling that this doesn't feel right with Harrison but I don't know the details. I have zero patience with any "Steelers fan" who'd wish a legend to the cheats to win a SB. Harrison has even been critical of them in the past. He's the only Steeler I remember actually making comments about Spygate. I guess for an unemployed player it might be a business decision if he is offered to play somewhere including there. But I'm not sure he'd happy with fans wishing him to NE either. The thing that gets me is they couldn't wait 2 more games.

Gerry Dulac wrote a good article at PPG and saying it was unprecedented:

Quote :
HOUSTON — At a time when the Steelers have had one dose of bad news after another, they apparently had no problem inflicting some more on themselves.

The decision to release James Harrison, a player they kept around all season for his presence, stability and leadership, with two games remaining in the regular season is surprising and almost unprecedented for a player of his stature.

Just like they discovered with Hines Ward in a 2011 midseason game against Jacksonville, the Steelers found out that Harrison, at age 39, could not play anymore.

But unlike Ward and another player of great stature they discovered couldn’t play anymore — Troy Polamalu — the Steelers decided not to wait till the end of the season to release their all-time sacks leader and former NFL defensive player of the year. In the process, they denied the author of the greatest and longest individual play in Super Bowl history of another run at the Super Bowl.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/25/james-harrison-released-steelers-roster-moves-nfl-mike-tomlin-kevin-colbert/stories/201712250057
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Hes visiting the Pats* today, please god no :(((((
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 2:33 pm

Gah. That was predictable. Don’t do it Deebo.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 2:33 pm

TollingtheBell26 wrote:
Hes visiting the Pats** today, please god no :(((((

Wonderful. Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison 2636242156

You beat me to it. Here's more info ...

Harrison Visiting Patriots*

Reports flooded in this morning that James Harrison was spotted at Logan International Airport presumably headed to Gillette Stadium.

Now those rumors appear to be true. Several sources are now confirming that Harrison is working out for the Patriots* this afternoon.

https://www.steelernation.com/harrison-visiting-Patriots*/

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 3:05 pm

If he signs with them I'll loose all respect for him.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 4:08 pm

They’re going to sign him. Blah.
Back to top Go down
rellimie
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 4:10 pm

solardave wrote:
If he signs with them I'll loose all respect for him.

Why? Guy wants to work and wants to win. Steelers cut him, he didn't quit on the team.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 4:43 pm

Maybe it's all business and just wanting to play for him. I don't know there's a lot left in his tank. I think he would have played more here if there was. Likely they get him there to pick his brain. It's a sickening thought though. I can't imagine a Steeler legend like him playing for them. Hard to believe they'd take him with the Spygate comments he made. Screw the cheats

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 4:53 pm

I wonder what the real story behind this is:

Quote :
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said the decision to release linebacker James Harrison was strictly business. He said he cut Harrison because he was the most expendable player on the roster.

“We make the decisions we feel give us the very best chance to win,” Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly press conference. “We needed the people we kept. We needed to activate Marcus Gilbert. There’s really nothing more to it than that.”

That quote might raise a few eyebrows considering one of the players Tomlin kept was defensive lineman Daniel McCullers, who has played just 11 defensive snaps all season. McCullers is in the final year of his rookie contract, and there is little reason to believe he’ll be back with the team next season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/26/james-harrison-Patriots*-steelers-release-nfl-mike-tomlin/stories/201712260101
Back to top Go down
Jazzo

Jazzo

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2017 5:15 pm

Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison Fag_br10

PostSubject: Re: Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison   Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers activate Gilbert and release James Harrison
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next