Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada Empty
PostSubject: Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada   Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada EmptyMon Jan 09, 2023 5:00 pm

Quote :

https://www.theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/27324/Mike-Tomlin-won-t-commit-on-retaining-Matt-Canada

When it comes to polarizing offensive coordinator Matt Canada, Tomlin acknowledged “improvement” throughout the season but did not provide any definitive clues about Canada’s status for 2023.

When it comes to senior defensive assistant/linebackers Brian Flores, his continued employment with the Steelers won’t depend on Tomlin. The Browns put in a request to the Steelers, Tomlin confirmed, to interview Flores for their now-vacant defensive coordinator position. Cleveland fired Joe Woods from that position Monday morning.

Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada 2625562446 F.U. Cleveland find your own coaches, well I kind of knew Flores wouldn't last before being stolen. Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada 3798349058

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada   Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada EmptyMon Jan 09, 2023 11:11 pm

Yeah just don't want him in Cleveland.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada   Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada EmptyTue Jan 10, 2023 5:49 am

Replace Canada and demote Austin by promoting Flores to DC.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada   Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada EmptyTue Jan 10, 2023 12:10 pm

I thought Austin did pretty well at DC. The defense got stronger as the season progressed and they really turned things around on stopping the run much better then last year.

Canada's offense started to move the ball well. Scoring was an issue but a lot of that came down to penalties shooting themselves in the foot or missed opportunities sometimes. Many of the players have spoken good things about Canada and say a lot ofnthe problems early were on them not executing well individually and as a unit. I am reluctant to change things on Kenny Pickett. He was getting comfortable with Canada's offense if we bring in someone new it might mess with the young man's head... new offense new terminology new philosophy etc etc etc...

If the team didn't turn things around at the bye and go 7-2 I would definitely want to move on from Canada but that last half of the season you could see there was a lot of growth being made.

I do want to see Canada trust Kenny more to throw longer passes and utilize the entire field. They started to really move the ball well when Kenny was passing intermediate routes hitting Muth, Gentry, Sims, and DJ over the middle.

Would also like to see more use of the height of the receivers in the red zone. Pickens 6'4", Gentry 6'7", Muth 6' 5", Boykin 6' 4"... no jump balls in the red zone all year with that many tall recievers seems like a waste.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada   Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada EmptyTue Jan 10, 2023 3:36 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
I thought Austin did pretty well at DC. The defense got stronger as the season progressed and they really turned things around on stopping the run much better then last year.

Canada's offense started to move the ball well. Scoring was an issue but a lot of that came down to penalties shooting themselves in the foot or missed opportunities sometimes. Many of the players have spoken good things about Canada and say a lot ofnthe problems early were on them not executing well individually and as a unit. I am reluctant to change things on Kenny Pickett. He was getting comfortable with Canada's offense if we bring in someone new it might mess with the young man's head... new offense new terminology new philosophy etc etc etc...

If the team didn't turn things around at the bye and go 7-2 I would definitely want to move on from Canada but that last half of the season you could see there was a lot of growth being made.

I do want to see Canada trust Kenny more to throw longer passes and utilize the entire field. They started to really move the ball well when Kenny was passing intermediate routes hitting Muth, Gentry, Sims, and DJ over the middle.

Would also like to see more use of the height of the receivers in the red zone. Pickens 6'4", Gentry 6'7", Muth 6' 5", Boykin 6' 4"... no jump balls in the red zone all year with that many tall recievers seems like a waste.
Congrat, this is the first post I've ever seen on Steeler Extreme, calling for Canada to be retained.  

But I find myself agreeing with you.   I think the entire offensive unit really started to gel.  I really liked how much improvement the O-line showed.  I really enjoyed the long 8+ minute drives we'd start to see.  While we need more to end in touchdowns, I saw a lot of growth.  I think now would be the wrong time to dump Canada.  I also worry about a brand new system for a QB who was obviously getting very comfortable in the system he's learned.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada   Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada EmptyWed Jan 11, 2023 2:56 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:

So you're saying we should keep Canada and Austin. Should we fire Tomlin? Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada 1549491426

Seriously you make valid points. I also agree that Canada needs to design more plays that stretch the field.

Our needs as I see it.

1 run stuffing IDL or a true NT
1 sideline to sideline ILB
1 shutdown corner.

There was to many games this year and last that we couldn't stop the run.
Our offense has been predictably anemic but improved late in the season.If you'd have asked me 3 weeks ago I'd of said FIRE Canada now. with the way we saw the growth in KP Canada better come out firing next season.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada   Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada EmptyWed Jan 11, 2023 10:03 am

solardave wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

So you're saying we should keep Canada and Austin. Should we fire Tomlin? Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada 1549491426

Seriously you make valid points. I also agree that Canada needs to design more plays that stretch the field.

Our needs as I see it.

1 shutdown corner.

Our offense has been predictably anemic but improved late in the season.If you'd have asked me 3 weeks ago I'd of said FIRE Canada now. with the way we saw the growth in KP Canada better come out firing next season.

I really was on the FIRE CANADA train. But after listening to the many of the players talk about it not really being his schemes that players were not doing thier jobs and missing assignments and it was from a lot of them not just a few saying it I thought he deserves 1 more year. They started to move in the right direction and I am more concerned with Picketts development under 1 OC the first two years. If they fire him next year because he can't scheme more points then Kenny should be ok with a new system and terminology.

solardave and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada   Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada EmptyWed Jan 11, 2023 11:08 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
solardave wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

Our needs as I see it.

1 shutdown corner.

I really was on the FIRE CANADA train. But after listening to the many of the players talk about it not really being his schemes that players were not doing thier jobs and missing assignments and it was from a lot of them not just a few saying it I thought he deserves 1 more year. They started to move in the right direction and I am more concerned with Picketts development under 1 OC the first two years. If they fire him next year because he can't scheme more points then Kenny should be ok with a new system and terminology.

Imagine having 2-3 of those LOOOONG drives in some games. The point total would go down but you would totally dominate games.

solardave and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada   Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada EmptyThu Jan 12, 2023 10:45 am

Based on last year and this year I see Canada's offense more suited for a game manager type QB. We know KP is already more than that which means Canada has to evolve. If they don't fire him this off season and I doubt they will, he will have to prove himself. What I'm thinking is: this offense needs to jump out early and often to let our D recharge and get after opposing QBs. Long drives are great WHEN you score. Otherwise they benefit your opponent as much or more than they do you. Some of the issues can be blamed on players under performing but when you're 3rd and long and you call plays that rely on RAC time and time again you don't belong in the NFL as an OC.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada   Mike Tomlin won't commit on retaining Matt Canada Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1