Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC

Go down 
+6
solardave
Stella Nation
Master_Of_Puppets
Great Randino
SteelerFreak58
Shalieve5090
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Steeldude
Xtreme Newb

Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 8:15 am

I guess we will have to wait and see. I don't think it is going to matter because Tomlin is still the HC. Perhaps the Steelers will start winning in spite of Tomlin being the HC.

I read somewhere that Smith is going to focus on Pickett as the starter. That's not something to be excited about.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:48 pm

Steeldude wrote:
I guess we will have to wait and see.  I don't think it is going to matter because Tomlin is still the HC.  Perhaps the Steelers will start winning in spite of Tomlin being the HC.

I read somewhere that Smith is going to focus on Pickett as the starter.  That's not something to be excited about.

Tomlin has stated he is still the #1 QB but there will be a competition come camp. What else would he be expected to say? You think he would come right out and declare him a Round 1 Bust?

Everything right now is about taking a wait and see approach. Kenny could flourish under Smith and a properly ran Offense that isn't so ridiculously predictable as Canada's offense was.

Hopefully they will fix the Oline issues and the running game can pick up where they left off the last 3 games of the season.

Smith deserves some optimism. He knows how to put up a lot of points and run a successful offense in the NFL. He has a lot of positives taking a guy like Tannehill and turning his career around.

The Steelers are never going to make huge shifts from their philosophy. They just don't do that. Never have never will. As much as we fans would like to see them move towards a modern NFL philosophy they still are having success with their method with winning seasons and making it into the playoffs. That maybe unacceptable to most of us but it seems like it is to the people that call the shots.

All we can hope for is that they bring in quality competition for the QB spot and that Smith produces 10 more points a game. If they can do that they will have made a lot of progress towards becoming a SB contender not just a one and done team like they have been.

solardave and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:14 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Steeldude wrote:
I guess we will have to wait and see.  I don't think it is going to matter because Tomlin is still the HC.  Perhaps the Steelers will start winning in spite of Tomlin being the HC.

I read somewhere that Smith is going to focus on Pickett as the starter.  That's not something to be excited about.

Tomlin has stated he is still the #1 QB but there will be a competition come camp. What else would he be expected to say? You think he would come right out and declare him a Round 1 Bust?

Everything right now is about taking a wait and see approach. Kenny could flourish under Smith and a properly ran Offense that isn't so ridiculously predictable as Canada's offense was.

Hopefully they will fix the Oline issues and the running game can pick up where they left off the last 3 games of the season.

Smith deserves some optimism. He knows how to put up a lot of points and run a successful offense in the NFL. He has a lot of positives taking a guy like Tannehill and turning his career around.

The Steelers are never going to make huge shifts from their philosophy. They just don't do that. Never have never will. As much as we fans would like to see them move towards a modern NFL philosophy they still are having success with their method with winning seasons and making it into the playoffs. That maybe unacceptable to most of us but it seems like it is to the people that call the shots.

All we can hope for is that they bring in quality competition for the QB spot and that Smith produces 10 more points a game. If they can do that they will have made a lot of progress towards becoming a SB contender not just a one and done team like they have been.
. Some very good points.

I am bullish on the Arthur Smith hire. I like his experience. He's seen a LOT in the NFL.

I also have not given up on Pickett yet. There will be competition and that's good, but I expect to run it back with Kenny for another year and see if he's got what it takes.

A lower round QB selection wouldn't surprise me. Possibly a 4th-7th round. I don't see earlier than 4th round but what do I know?

Really hoping OT + C for first two rounds. Give Kenny every tool available and see what he's got.

I'm hopeful. Realistic and they have to prove it - but hopeful. As always...

time will tell.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 07, 2024 3:47 am

Now that the SB is over, the Chiefs won and Taylor Swift is the MVP we can turn our attention to the draft and how the FO is going to address our deficiencies. I think Smith will be a much better OC than we've had in awhile. How good? Your guess is as good as mine.
His first building block should be either a LT or Center or both in my opinion.

SteelerFreak58 and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 07, 2024 4:10 pm

solardave wrote:
Now that the SB is over, the Chiefs won and Taylor Swift is the MVP we can turn our attention to the draft and how the FO is going to address our deficiencies. I think Smith will be a much better OC than we've had in awhile. How good? Your guess is as good as mine.
His first building block should be either a LT or Center or both in my opinion.
Tay Tay made one heck of a catch in the end zone to seal that Super Bowl. Way to go Tay Tay! She found the Blank Space in the coverage, making for a Cruel Summer for 9ers fans. They are never going to be able to Shake it Off!

solardave and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 07, 2024 5:08 pm

They should have a bet for over and under how many times she is mentioned or panned to the camera during the game! Lol

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 07, 2024 11:05 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
They should have a bet for over and under how many times she is mentioned or panned to the camera during the game! Lol
FanDuel gotta have it.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 4:33 pm

I like the Smith OC choice, simply because he's not Canada Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 1797695198  But seriously, I think he has talent. I'm less worried about what he did with Atlanta (on offense) because Ryan, Mariota, Ridder weren't really that great. There's a reason we chose Pickett over Ridder. As Master points out, Smith had some very impressive results in Tennessee. One can point to the talent he had for those 2 years, but there's plenty of teams with talent that don't produce. I've believed the Steelers were underperforming compared to their offensive talent. Not that I believe they had Super Bowl level talent, but Canada certainly was an anchor on their ship.

One thing I think they need to do to help Pickett is to take the reigns off. I believe Tomlin wanted any QB not named Ben to be game managers. Hopefully, he learned through Rudolph's final games that he needs his QBs to try to win games. I'm not a Tomlin hater, but I do think he is responsible for hamstringing his QBs.

Master_Of_Puppets, solardave and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 10:26 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
I like the Smith OC choice, simply because he's not Canada Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 1797695198  But seriously, I think he has talent. I'm less worried about what he did with Atlanta (on offense) because Ryan, Mariota, Ridder weren't really that great. There's a reason we chose Pickett over Ridder. As Master points out, Smith had some very impressive results in Tennessee. One can point to the talent he had for those 2 years, but there's plenty of teams with talent that don't produce. I've believed the Steelers were underperforming compared to their offensive talent. Not that I believe they had Super Bowl level talent, but Canada certainly was an anchor on their ship.

One thing I think they need to do to help Pickett is to take the reigns off. I believe Tomlin wanted any QB not named Ben to be game managers. Hopefully, he learned through Rudolph's final games that he needs his QBs to try to win games. I'm not a Tomlin hater, but I do think he is responsible for hamstringing his QBs.

i agree on all accounts. Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 230572241

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 3:41 am

I'm cautiously optimistic about Smith as OC. Honestly, following Canada, I feel like you can't go anywhere but up. He's got a track record of success at OC from his time with the Titans. Will be interesting to see what he brings to the table with our roster. Obviously we've got some talent, but QB is the biggest question for us going into next season.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 6:23 pm

Well, the Steelers are the "favourite" to land:
  • Russell Wilson
    Jimmy Garropolo
    Justin Fields

Honestly, you cannot make this stuff up!  smh
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 3:14 pm

Great Randino wrote:
  • Russell Wilson
    Jimmy Garropolo
    Justin Fields

All click bait rumor BS from low level AI reporting sites. They all feed off one another.

Great Randino likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 5:30 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
  • Russell Wilson
    Jimmy Garropolo
    Justin Fields

All click bait rumor BS from low level AI reporting sites. They all feed off one another.
Very true. And the next one I just read is that two of those players, Fields and Wilson, are basically out, because the Steelers aren't going to sign someone who "wants to be a starter". ?? So, yeah.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 8:08 pm

tannehill is the logical option. he will be 36, so retirement should be on his mind.

he should be cheap. nobody will be looking at him as a quick fix either short or long term for a superbowl run so he doesnt have any real bargaining power. my guess would be a trubisky like deal at the most.

of course we know the smith / tannehil connection. smith seems to value familiarity. both of his TE's on his titan teams migrated to atlanta with him. coincidence ?

this isnt actually a make or break year for kenny. he is a steeler for 2 more years regardless. he doesnt have to start this year to gauge if he has a future. he can sit the bench, learn the new system and give it a go in year 4. Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 2087824411

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 9:25 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
tannehill is the logical option. he will be 36, so retirement should be on his mind.

he should be cheap. nobody will be looking at him as a quick fix either short or long term for a superbowl run so he doesnt have any real bargaining power. my guess would be a trubisky like deal at the most.

of course we know the smith / tannehil connection.  smith seems to value familiarity.  both of his TE's on his titan teams migrated to atlanta with him. coincidence ?

this isnt actually a make or break year for kenny. he is a steeler for 2 more years regardless. he doesnt have to start this year to gauge if he has a future. he can sit the bench, learn the new system and give it a go in year 4. Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 2087824411  

It's an extremely Steeler like move. He won't be expected to steal Kenny's spot as the #1 but Tomlin can pivot to him thr minute Kenny begins to be Kenny and shows you he is a backup QB. He works well with Smith so the history is there.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 12:55 am

I'd actually be surprised at this point if they didn't sign Tannehill. For the reasons mentioned above, he makes a lot of sense.

MoP, you make a lot of sense regarding Kenny sitting this next year - but I actually think this is Kenny's make or break year. He's in year 3, he's got to start and do well. If he's not the starter this year, they are going to take a swing at their next "franchise" QB the next year.

I am okay with them saying, "Kenny is the guy" this upcoming year. He's got to prove himself but I'm okay with them giving it another shot and finding out what they have. He's shown flashes but not consistency. He's got to be the guy this year, that's all there is to it, or he's done as a starter.

solardave and Stella Nation like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 3:47 am

i'm going off the assumption that tomlin is telling the truth and kenny would have to earn the starting job.
based on what we have seen so far from kenny , i dont think kenny would beat Tannenhill in a legit competition.

but alas...lets not get ahead of ourselves because tannenhill isnt on the roster. we could very well see a sam darnold, jacoby brisset , or tyrod taylor on the roster... Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 1505004552
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 11:59 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i'm going off the assumption that tomlin is telling the truth and kenny would have to earn the starting job.
based on what we have seen so far from kenny  , i dont think kenny would beat Tannenhill in a legit competition.

but alas...lets not get ahead of ourselves because tannenhill isnt on the roster. we could very well see a sam darnold, jacoby brisset , or tyrod taylor on the roster... Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 1505004552

Or Russel Wilson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 5:59 pm

Mach1 wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
based on what we have seen so far from kenny  , i dont think kenny would beat Tannenhill in a legit competition.

Or Russel Wilson
I don't see it being Russell. I don't think Russell goes anywhere he's not expected to start.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 5:34 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

but alas...lets not get ahead of ourselves because tannenhill isnt on the roster. we could very well see a sam didnot, jacoby only plays well Against us brisset , or tyrod taylorKordell wanna be  Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 1797695198 on the roster... Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 1505004552

Fixed it for you.

Mach1 and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 5:46 am

I honestly think this is a Jarvis Jones, Devin Bush-type situation only still too early to call KP a bust. I mention those 2 because they were first-rounders. There are other piss poor picks, don't get me started.
Even though it's too soon to call it KP's performance so far is sketchy. Takes the reins off and lets him sink or swim. Maybe we get the run going well enough so Smith can design around our current WRs to allow shots down the field. Let KP improvise like BA allowed Ben to do without the bubble screens.

Great Randino likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 1:43 pm

solardave wrote:
I honestly think this is a Jarvis Jones, Devin Bush-type situation only still too early to call KP a bust. I mention those 2 because they were first-rounders. There are other piss poor picks, don't get me started.
Even though it's too soon to call it KP's performance so far is sketchy. Takes the reins off and lets him sink or swim. Maybe we get the run going well enough so Smith can design around our current WRs to allow shots down the field. Let KP improvise like BA allowed Ben to do without the bubble screens.
100%, you nailed it.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 5:05 pm

solardave wrote:

jones and bush were both given a mile of rope to hang themselves with. even after sucking for the better part of 3 seasons, they both still saw significant snap counts their 4th seasons. they were given way more opportunity than most teams would have given.
for better or worse , the steelers simply refuse to give up on players. they even tend to keep later round picks on the roster for too long. it's been a pet peeve of mine for decades that has lead to many forum rants . Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 2625562446 i mean when your multi year former starter (jones) cant even get a backup gig on another team, some self reflecting on your coaching decision needs to happen. jones is hardly the only example of a former steeler unable to find employment after the steelers checks dry up. where is Derrick watt after the steelers made him the highest paid by far FB in the league ?

Canada for sure muddied the waters surrounding kenny. firing Canada mid season signifies they saw him, his system, and play calling as the biggest detriment to the offense. rightfully so and to an extent it was proven. some of kennys teammates publicly throwing their support behind mason certainly doesnt instill confidence in kenny's future. if the guys you're in the trenches with dont believe in you , that is a problem. the guys who practice with kenny know way more about his capabilities than we fans do. assuming there is no "personal" bias going on, when a team mate is willing to give a non politically correct opinion about another team mate , it merits attention. but given their diva WR personalities , not throwing in their direction enough is reason for them to have a personal bias. Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 2087824411

i would be extremely surprised if they made a serious attempt to bring in someone they know would have a 100% chance to win the starting gig. i would also be extremely surprised if they brought in someone who would demand more than they were paying mitch. i also dont see them trading draft capitol. so that leaves me with tannehill.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 27, 2024 3:39 pm

Denver cuts Wilson he gets 39 million guaranteed.  He already has mentioned he would play for a team for vet minimum. The Steelers will be all over that. One he is dirt cheap which they absolutely love. Two he is immediately competing against KP and brings a veteran presence to the QB room. Three he is pretty smart and efficient as a QB. He doesn't throw a ton of picks and has a high football IQ. Four it's gonna be RUN first pass as needed...

Vet minimum is chiming in Khan and Rooney's ears folks...
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2024 4:28 am

With Tomlin, Khan, and Art II all saying on record that KP is their guy I really can't see it making sense to bring in a guy like Russel Wilson. That would be admitting KP is NOT their guy. Even after saying this knowing a move like this would be uncharacteristic, it wouldn't surprise me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC   Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next