Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers trade for Justin Fields Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers trade for Justin Fields

Go down 
+4
SteelerFreak58
Master_Of_Puppets
Shalieve5090
Great Randino
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Great Randino

Steelers trade for Justin Fields Empty
PostSubject: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 6:54 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/bears-reportedly-trade-justin-fields-to-steelers-clearing-the-way-for-likely-no-1-pick-qb-caleb-williams-224130172.html
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 6:56 pm

Tbh I don't like it. Ohio St qbs are trash. I hope I'm wrong but we shall see. I wanted Tannehill
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 7:23 pm

Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Steelers trade for Justin Fields GI04G-dXgAAkyFK?format=jpg&name=small
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 7:29 pm

Shalieve5090 wrote:
Tbh I don't like it. Ohio St qbs are trash. I hope I'm wrong but we shall see. I wanted Tannehill
Sorry, but I have to disagree on a couple fronts. First of all, C.J. Stroud has been terrific. Secondly, Fields showed a lot of potential in year 2. I really thought the Bears should have kept him and built around him. Peter King, in his last sports column, wrote about how the Bears could completely reset their franchise by trading out of #1 and accumulating as many as 9 picks in the first 2 rounds of 2024 and 2025. It was fascinating and very well written (whether you agree with that plan or not is another issue altogether). I think Caleb Williams is going to be a HUGE bust. His attitude is very "leaf-like" IMHO. So sorry, Bears.

My biggest concern at this point is the $25M 5th year option that would have to be decided before he even takes a snap. That's why I didn't think the Steelers would make this move - not because of Fields himself.

Master_Of_Puppets and Stella Nation like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 7:39 pm

my only issue with this is the 5th year option. hopefully they decline it.  25 million should get you a CONSISTENT  average QB. so far Fields has not been consistent or average. they will learn very little about him while he is riding the pine. committing to paying him 25 mill would be a very reckless stupid move. didnt carolina do just that with darnold and lived to regret it ? and they only paid 18.8 million for their lesson.
let him ride the pine, make him a reasonable 1 year deal offer for 2025 and if someone wants to pay him more... Steelers trade for Justin Fields 2000130356

solardave, Stella Nation and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:16 pm

Great Randino wrote:
Shalieve5090 wrote:
Sorry, but I have to disagree on a couple fronts.  First of all, C.J. Stroud has been terrific.  Secondly, Fields showed a lot of potential in year 2.  I really thought the Bears should have kept him and built around him.  Peter King, in his last sports column, wrote about how the Bears could completely reset their franchise by trading out of #1 and accumulating as many as 9 picks in the first 2 rounds of 2024 and 2025.  It was fascinating and very well written (whether you agree with that plan or not is another issue altogether).  I think Caleb Williams is going to be a HUGE bust.  His attitude is very "leaf-like" IMHO.  So sorry, Bears.

My biggest concern at this point is the $25M 5th year option that would have to be decided before he even takes a snap.  That's why I didn't think the Steelers would make this move - not because of Fields himself.  

Stroud is like the one exception. Every other one that's come out of there recently has been a huge flop
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:17 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
my only issue with this is the 5th year option. hopefully they decline it.  25 million should get you a CONSISTENT  average QB. so far Fields has not been consistent or average. they will learn very little about him while he is riding the pine. committing to paying him 25 mill would be a very reckless stupid move. didnt carolina do just that with darnold and lived to regret it ? and they only paid 18.8 million for their lesson.
let him ride the pine, make him a reasonable 1 year deal offer for 2025 and if someone wants to pay him more... Steelers trade for Justin Fields 2000130356
I'm curious how they get around that. And if they are declining it, making him a free agent after a year, why did we even trade for him? Guess we have to see what the Khan-man comes up with on this one...
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:21 pm

Fields has a ton of upside. He had a terrible Oline blocking for him the last 2 years. He can sit behind Wilson and learn Smiths system for a year they can decline the 5th year or roll with it and let him take over if Wilson leaves after the year is up. If they draft another young QB they can have a true competition.

Fields is a better QB then Pickett by far. Its not even a comparison. He has a stronger arm, is more accurate, and faster on his feet. The bears didn't address their oline issues and never gave him a consistent running game to work with or coaching.

Stella Nation likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:38 pm

Shalieve5090 wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Shalieve5090 wrote:
Sorry, but I have to disagree on a couple fronts.  First of all, C.J. Stroud has been terrific.  Secondly, Fields showed a lot of potential in year 2.  I really thought the Bears should have kept him and built around him.  Peter King, in his last sports column, wrote about how the Bears could completely reset their franchise by trading out of #1 and accumulating as many as 9 picks in the first 2 rounds of 2024 and 2025.  It was fascinating and very well written (whether you agree with that plan or not is another issue altogether).  I think Caleb Williams is going to be a HUGE bust.  His attitude is very "leaf-like" IMHO.  So sorry, Bears.

My biggest concern at this point is the $25M 5th year option that would have to be decided before he even takes a snap.  That's why I didn't think the Steelers would make this move - not because of Fields himself.  

Stroud is like the one exception. Every other one that's come out of there recently has been a huge flop
recently ? Shocked Stroud IS to this point the only successful OSU QB. if the light comes on for fields he would be the 2nd to break the OSU QB curse.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:43 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Shalieve5090 wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Shalieve5090 wrote:

recently ? Shocked   Stroud IS to this point the only successful OSU  QB. if the light comes on for fields he would be the 2nd to break the OSU QB curse.
But but but....Mike Tomczak.... Steelers trade for Justin Fields 1378315869

Master_Of_Puppets likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 9:01 pm

Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
I'm curious how they get around that.  And if they are declining it, making him a free agent after a year, why did we even trade for him?   Guess we have to see what the Khan-man comes up with on this one...
trading for him removes other teams ability to negotiate with him for another year. the bears only getting a 6th for him should be a reality check for fields about his bargaining power. nobody else wanted to commit to paying him 25 million, so he shouldnt be surprised when/if the steelers decline it.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 9:09 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Fields has a ton of upside. He had a terrible Oline blocking for him the last 2 years. He can sit behind Wilson and learn Smiths system for a year they can decline the 5th year or roll with it and let him take over if Wilson leaves after the year is up. If they draft another young QB they can have a true competition.

Fields is a better QB then Pickett by far. Its not even a comparison. He has a stronger arm, is more accurate, and faster on his feet. The bears didn't address their oline issues and never gave him a consistent running game to work with or coaching.

i'll agree he is physically more gifted to pickett in every way, but i dont know that he is more accurate , a better decision maker, or has better pocket awarness and presence. . i would call those 3 area's a wash. they both were bad . thats why fields stats are just as bad as kennys. but yeah, the physical traits alone is enough to think justin has a higher ceiling. only time will tell who, if either over comes the flawed parts of their games.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 9:31 pm

Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Shalieve5090 wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Shalieve5090 wrote:

recently ? Shocked   Stroud IS to this point the only successful OSU  QB. if the light comes on for fields he would be the 2nd to break the OSU QB curse.

fun fact. i have an old bar drinking buddy that played QB for OSU. Greg Hare. he was drafted by the Bills in 1974 in the 8th round . the bills tried to turn him in to a defensive back. didnt work out and he went to the CFL for a year. he started a Xerox business and made millions.

Great Randino likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 9:39 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Shalieve5090 wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Shalieve5090 wrote:

fun fact. i have an old bar drinking buddy that played QB for OSU. Greg Hare.  he was drafted by the Bills in 1974 in the 8th round . the bills tried to turn him in to a defensive back. didnt work out and he went to the CFL for a year. he started a Xerox business and made millions.

Awesome for him! Great to see an athlete apply his education and intelligence to win BIG!
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 10:29 pm

Quote :
Bears

Six teams inquired about Fields, according to ESPN, but the majority of those teams envisioned Fields as a backup. The Bears were hoping to get something similar to what the Jets received when they traded Sam Darnold in 2021 to the Panthers (a 2021 sixth-round pick, 2022 second and fourth-round picks) but had to pivot when they weren't getting the offers that they had hoped for.

Consider what Pittsburgh got in the Pickett trade: a 2024 third-round pick (No. 98 overall) and two 2025 seventh-round picks while giving the Eagles Pickett and a 2024 fourth-round pick (No. 120). The fact that the Steelers got considerably more for Pickett than the Bears did for Fields is nothing short of mind boggling.

It's worth noting that pick the Bears acquired in this trade will improve to a fourth-round pick if Fields plays 51% percent of Pittsburgh's offense plays this season, according to ESPN. But with Wilson entrenched as the starter, that would require either an injury to Wilson or Fields replacing him for a performance-based reason.

Grade: D-
Steelers

The Steelers will spend less than $4.5 million this season for Fields and Wilson. That's an incredible deal for one quarterback, let alone two. This will continue to give the Steelers the ability to sign more players to their roster having already signed Wilson, linebacker Patrick Queen and safety DeShon Elliott.

A week ago, Pickett was still the Steelers' starting quarterback, as Pittsburgh was busy looking for his competition. Well, there won't be a competition in Pittsburgh now, not with Wilson entrenched as the starter and Fields backing up him. Fields, however, doesn't appear to mind the situation he's entering. He has told people since being traded that he is excited for his new beginning, via Sports Illustrated.

This was a low-risk move for Pittsburgh. They gave up little to acquire a quarterback who still has untapped potential. Fields wasn't set up for success in Chicago, yet he continued to improve and in 2022 recorded the second-highest rushing total by a quarterback in NFL history for a single season.

Grade: A
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 10:47 pm

fact is we are in the EXACT situation we would have been in with Kenny. the only difference being the timeline for the 5th year option has been accelerated and fields just bring more to the table than kenny. more pro experience, more arm , more speed , more athlete. i'm not even predicting fields will ever be a good QB, i'm just saying he has a better chance than kenny of turning out to be a good QB.

Stella Nation and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 10:55 pm

This is the strangest off-season I've ever seen as a Steelers fan. I do feel better having Fields in the house, considering Russell's age and potential to regress. Khan definitely brings a different element to the table as a negotiator, as well. Its really amazing to behold.

Stella Nation and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:34 pm

I expect the steelers to do a one year contract extention similiar to what the packers did for jordan love,

Quote :
Love played out the 2023 campaign on the fourth and final season of his original four-year rookie contract. Gutekunst previously signed Love to a one-year extension through 2024 worth up to $22.5 million with $13.5 million in guarantees. The remaining $9.5 million will be attainable through incentives. That move essentially replaced the fifth-year option on Love's rookie deal.

It represented shrewd business by Gutekunst, who understandably wasn't sold on Love's long-term projection entering the season. The revised contract only guaranteed Love $13.5 million in 2024, whereas the fifth-year option would have carried more than $20 million in guarantees. Now that Love has earned Gutekunst's trust, the two sides are expected to hold discussions over a multi-year extension this offseason. Love shouldn’t enter a contract season in 2024.

Contract Notes:

$13M guaranteed (Signing Bonus + 2023 salary + 2024 salary)
2025-2027 years automatically void
2024 Escalators (Max $9M, $4.5M earned)
Pro Bowl Selection: $1M (not-earned)
65% Regular Season Snaps: $500,000 (earned)

Playoff Escalators
65% Regular Season Snaps + Playoff Berth: $500,000 (earned)
1 Playoff Win (65% Snaps): $500,000
Conference Title Win (65% Snaps): $1M
Super Bowl Win (65% Snaps): $1M

Statistical Escalators
65% Snaps & Top 10 Passer Rating: $500,000 (not earned)
65% Snaps & Top 10 Completion %: $500,000 (not earned)
Top 10 Touchdown Passes: $500,000 (earned)
Top 10 Passing Yards: $500,000 (earned)

More Statistical Escalators (Max $1.5M)
65% Snaps & Top 16 in Passer Rating: $500,000 (earned)
65% Snaps & Top 16 in Completion %: $500,000 (not earned)
65% Snaps & Top 16 in Passing Yards: $500,000 (earned)
65% Snaps & Top 16 in Passing TDs: $500,000 (earned)

Team Success Escalator
$1M earned with (earned)
10 Regular Season Wins (65% snaps) OR
Playoff Berth (65% snaps) OR
Top 10 Passers Rating & Top 10 in TD Passes (65% Snaps)

Stella Nation, SteelerFreak58 and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 12:20 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
I expect the steelers to do a one year contract extention similiar to what the packers did for jordan love,

Quote :
Love played out the 2023 campaign on the fourth and final season of his original four-year rookie contract. Gutekunst previously signed Love to a one-year extension through 2024 worth up to $22.5 million with $13.5 million in guarantees. The remaining $9.5 million will be attainable through incentives. That move essentially replaced the fifth-year option on Love's rookie deal.

It represented shrewd business by Gutekunst, who understandably wasn't sold on Love's long-term projection entering the season. The revised contract only guaranteed Love $13.5 million in 2024, whereas the fifth-year option would have carried more than $20 million in guarantees. Now that Love has earned Gutekunst's trust, the two sides are expected to hold discussions over a multi-year extension this offseason. Love shouldn’t enter a contract season in 2024.

Contract Notes:

$13M guaranteed (Signing Bonus + 2023 salary + 2024 salary)
   2025-2027 years automatically void
   2024 Escalators (Max $9M, $4.5M earned)
   Pro Bowl Selection: $1M (not-earned)
   65% Regular Season Snaps: $500,000 (earned)

Playoff Escalators
   65% Regular Season Snaps + Playoff Berth: $500,000 (earned)
   1 Playoff Win (65% Snaps): $500,000
   Conference Title Win (65% Snaps): $1M
   Super Bowl Win (65% Snaps): $1M

Statistical Escalators
   65% Snaps & Top 10 Passer Rating: $500,000 (not earned)
   65% Snaps & Top 10 Completion %: $500,000 (not earned)
   Top 10 Touchdown Passes: $500,000 (earned)
   Top 10 Passing Yards: $500,000 (earned)

More Statistical Escalators (Max $1.5M)
   65% Snaps & Top 16 in Passer Rating: $500,000 (earned)
   65% Snaps & Top 16 in Completion %: $500,000 (not earned)
   65% Snaps & Top 16 in Passing Yards: $500,000 (earned)
   65% Snaps & Top 16 in Passing TDs: $500,000 (earned)

Team Success Escalator
   $1M earned with (earned)
   10 Regular Season Wins (65% snaps) OR
   Playoff Berth (65% snaps) OR
   Top 10 Passers Rating & Top 10 in TD Passes (65% Snaps)

Good stuff. There's always a way....
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 1:11 am

is anyone else drawing up kordell slash like plays in their head ? Steelers trade for Justin Fields 2893009358

i mean i dont think arthur smith is a creative type of OC , but damn. how could you not be thinking outside of the box ?
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 1:47 am

Fields the last 20 games...

Drop backs = 668
Comp % = 62%
Yds per att = 6.8
TDs/Int's. = 26-14
Rush TDs = 9

I dare ya to compare Picketts #s... it's not even close in any way shape or form. We got Fields for peanuts and he is better in every facet.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 3:24 am

Omar Khan has been pretty impressive so far as GM.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/omar-khan-steelers-gm-kevin-colbert/e3yzrmjvj6bkfiy9tqjggufp

"It helps that Khan was prudent in his approach to free-agent signings and contract extensions during his time under Colbert. The team routinely retains its top, homegrown talent, and that's part of the reason that the team's defensive core has stayed strong for so long."

So based on this I'd say Colbert held him back. It's just different seeing this whirlwind that's the new Riverboat Steelers. Steelers trade for Justin Fields 1797695198
Wilson, Queen, signings were no-brainers but pulling them off is Khan or OK as he will now be known. Steelers trade for Justin Fields 3798349058
It's no secret I thought DJ should be dumped and man did he ever get dumped. Probably hulled off in the same truck as KP. In different directions but the destinations are similar.

The new standard seems to be "fuck around and find out" Steelers trade for Justin Fields 1647293567
CB and Safety looks to be an upgrade.
We still have needs but one thing we need mostly is a center and there are 3 I would draft if they were there at #20.

Powers-Johnson
Frazier
Van Pran

This next draft will be interesting to say the least. I don't see a need to trade up but I have a feeling we haven't seen it all with this FO this year.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 5:11 am

im seeing some pissed off bears fans. a lot of them believe he wasnt given a fair shake and wanted to continue to build around him rather than draft a new QB. they are REALLY pissed off for what they got in return for him. Steelers trade for Justin Fields 1797695198
im watching a youtube video of bears fans saying he is better than russ wilson. Steelers trade for Justin Fields 3135543967
it makes me feel better about getting him. i mean it is the opposite of steeler fans with pickett. when the fan base is still in the players corner despite losing a lot of games over 3 years and putting up sub par stats , that says alot.

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 6:38 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Fields the last 20 games...

Drop backs =  668
Comp % =  62%
Yds per att = 6.8
TDs/Int's.  =  26-14
Rush TDs = 9

I dare ya to compare Picketts #s... it's not even close in any way shape or form. We got Fields for peanuts and he is better in every facet.

And did it with less weapons than Pickett.

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 10:36 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
im seeing some pissed off bears fans.  a lot of them believe he wasnt given a fair shake and wanted to continue to build around him rather than draft a new QB. they are REALLY pissed off for what they got in return for him. Steelers trade for Justin Fields 1797695198
im watching a youtube video of bears fans saying he is better than russ wilson. Steelers trade for Justin Fields 3135543967
it makes me feel better about getting him. i mean it is the opposite of steeler fans with pickett. when the fan base is still in the players corner despite losing a lot of games over 3 years and putting up sub par stats , that says alot.

I have two long time friends that are die hard Bears fans and they both wanted Fields to stay and build around him. They both said the kid can be elite he just didn't have much surrounding him. Weak Oline, no running game, only 1 real WR threat...

Both said Fields will be phenomenal on the Steelers with all of our weapons if Smith uses him right. They both agree he is an excellent athlete and has a tremendous arm and makes smart decisions for the most part. That gives me some hope under Wilson and Smith he can learn and grow.

The real thing is we got Wilson and Fields for absolutely NOTHING... fucking peanuts... we went from Pickett, Rudolph, and Trubisky to Wilson and Fields and it's costing the organization 1.25 million and a conditional 6th round pick for guys that have way more upside then the other 3 that are now gone. I am absolutely ecstatic about that.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trade for Justin Fields   Steelers trade for Justin Fields Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers trade for Justin Fields
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next