Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears Empty
PostSubject: Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears   Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 1:33 pm

There are certainly some big Lord of the Rings fans out there, but most wouldn't go this far to look like their favourite characters.

Some fantasy film buffs in Arizona are taking their obsessions to new levels by actually having their ears cut open and sculpted to look like elves.

The elf ears craze has many health risks but that isn’t stopping sci-fi fans having the top of their cartilage sliced and sewed back together in a point.

Jordan Houtz, who went under the knife to get elf ears, said she thought about having the operation for around 18 months because she knew they would change forever.

'It was just something I thought would be fascinating,’ she told ABC’S Good Morning America show. ‘I wouldn't go as far as saying I’m a “trekkie”.

‘But definitely Lord of the Rings - all the sci-fi stuff. It just fit my personality. It's something that once you have it, it's there forever'.

The elf ears craze is believed to have been brought on by films such as Lord of the Rings and Avatar, as well as HBO’s comedy television series Bored to Death.

But Dr Arthur W. Perry, author of Straight Talk About Cosmetic Surgery, warned that sculpting cartilage is dangerous and applicants should be aware of the risks.

'The real risks are major deformity of the ear, which is very easy to have happen, and infection of the ear,’ he said. ‘If infection occurs it can destroy the ear within days.

'It's very difficult and often it's not possible to fully reconstruct a nice looking ear.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1374473/Lord-Rings-fans-undergo-elf-ear-operations-look-like-fantasy-film-characters.html#ixzz1JWHxBNS5

Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears Article-1374473-0B86BECB00000578-499_468x286

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears   Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears 3562723908 Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears 3562723908 Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears 3562723908 Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears 3562723908 Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears 3562723908 Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears 3562723908 Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears 3562723908 Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears 3562723908 Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears 3562723908

Back to top Go down

Sci-fi fans undergo operations to get elf ears
Page 1 of 1