Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeDr. Who thread Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Dr. Who thread

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JonM229

JonM229

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Any Dr. Who fans here? I just started watching last week and am most of the way through the ssecond season.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Nice. Season 3 has my favorite episode of the show, "Blink".

Can't wait for second part of season six to begin again at the end of the month. Dr. Who thread 1372836603

David Tennant forever. Dr. Who thread 469886443

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Back to top Go down
jjmjmay

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 11:07 am

What station? I imagin this is a new incarnation.
Back to top Go down
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:04 pm

It's on BBC/BBC America.

You can also watch the first 5 seasons on Netflix instantly/streaming, too.

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:43 pm

I've been watching the first few season on Netflix instant. Does BBC America use Hulu Plus at all? Once I move, I'm planning on only having internet, Netflix Instant, and Hulu Plus to save money since I only watch a handful of shows anyway.

Right now I'm halfway through the third season and I already miss Rose, though David Tennant is indeed excellent.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm not sure. I've never used Hulu.

Yeah, Rose was a pretty good companion although at times the actress annoyed me. Martha is all right. I like the current companion, she's not too annoying like the rest.

I don't think anyone will ever top David Tennant as the doctor but I really liked Eccleston (Matt Smith is pretty good as well).

My five favorite episodes are probably: "Love and Monsters", "Blink", "Midnight", "Vincent and the Doctor", and "The Doctor's Wife".

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:27 pm

JonM229 wrote:
I've been watching the first few season on Netflix instant. Does BBC America use Hulu Plus at all? Once I move, I'm planning on only having internet, Netflix Instant, and Hulu Plus to save money since I only watch a handful of shows anyway.

Right now I'm halfway through the third season and I already miss Rose, though David Tennant is indeed excellent.

They have a few shows, and only one that you need Hulu+ for (Little Britain). The others are The Office, Coupling and Hitchhikers Guide. I know they've started showing Misfits and they have a handful of other British comedies...but no Dr. Who or anything like that.

Hulu+ is a waste of money if you ask me...especially if you already have NetFlix. I did a free month trial and had no urge to continue it, just kept NetFlix.

As for Dr. Who...I've never actually tried it yet, but knowing that it's on streaming makes it easier to check out. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 6:22 pm

I don't know what kind of shows you like but it is at least worth checking out... the production value goes way up every season as you'll see if you watch it, I'm not sure about the whole budget situation with BBC but the quality of the footage gets better as the show ages (hopefully that makes sense).

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Farrior_roirraW wrote:
I don't know what kind of shows you like but it is at least worth checking out... the production value goes way up every season as you'll see if you watch it, I'm not sure about the whole budget situation with BBC but the quality of the footage gets better as the show ages (hopefully that makes sense).

It's definitely up there with the kind of thing I would watch. Why I haven't yet...I'm not sure. I tend to like BBC shows (Jekyll, Robin Hood, Shameless, Misfits, etc.), so there's a good chance I'd like it. We've just got so many shows and movies that we watch/try to catch up with as it is, that it just sort of fell to the wayside. I'm sure we'll get around to it sometime soon though.

Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 11:40 pm

If you enjoyed Jekyll you'll definitely enjoy Doctor Who, the guy (Stephen Moffat) who did Jekyll is currently the showrunner for Doctor Who and his episodes in season 1-4 always kick ass.

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 7:56 am

Farrior_roirraW wrote:
If you enjoyed Jekyll you'll definitely enjoy Doctor Who, the guy (Stephen Moffat) who did Jekyll is currently the showrunner for Doctor Who and his episodes in season 1-4 always kick ass.

Yeah, as soon as I told my husband it was on NetFlix, he said we have to watch it. Then I was promptly scolded for having never seen ANY of the series. Dr. Who thread 1797695198 My crystal ball tells me I have lot's of vintage Dr. Who in store for me in the near future.

Jekyll impressed me. The ending was a bit weak, but still enjoyed it overall. Would have loved to have seen it as a longer series though. 6 episodes was too quick.

Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 12:30 am

One week away from new episodes. Dr. Who thread 1372836603

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:02 am

Farrior_roirraW wrote:

Moffat's episode "Blink" in Season 3 was probably the best one I've seen so far.

I'm nearing the end of Season 4 and will be very sad to see David Tennant go. Manly tears will most likely be shed.

Back to top Go down
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 1:08 am

JonM229 wrote:
Farrior_roirraW wrote:

Moffat's episode "Blink" in Season 3 was probably the best one I've seen so far.

I'm nearing the end of Season 4 and will be very sad to see David Tennant go. Manly tears will most likely be shed.

There's one killer line that got me with the End of Time. But it's all good Matt Smith does a great job.

I love Blink. That or Midnight could be my favorite. Excellent episodes. Moffat is a genius when fucking around with time. I also prefer his storytelling style to Russell T. Davies (he's kinda killing my interest in Torchwood)...

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 11:31 am

Farrior_roirraW wrote:
I also prefer his storytelling style to Russell T. Davies (he's kinda killing my interest in Torchwood)...

I'm almost done with Matt Jones' first season as the Doctor and have been enjoying him pretty well.

I've heard the first season of Torchwood was pretty awful, but the second and third were decent enough.

Back to top Go down
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 12:51 pm

Yeah, that's spot on. Season 3 is really really great (although, only 5 episodes). But the fourth season so far has been pretty stagnant (7 of the 10 episodes). I liked the whole idea of Miracle Day but I don't think it has enough material for 10 episode arc, especially when character isn't one of Davies high points. Torchwood is worth checking out if you liked Captain Jack in his episodes of Doctor Who.

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 1:30 pm

I plan on watching what Netflix has available on Instant once I finish the last 3 episodes from season 6 of Doctor Who.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dr. Who thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Who thread   Dr. Who thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Dr. Who thread
Page 1 of 1