Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Wheaton vs Bryant

Go down 
+14
Hawaii 5-0
lotas
HeinzMustard
FanSince72
SteelersYak
IowaSteeler927
SoCalFan
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
EbonySteel86
El-Gonzo Jackson
Atlanta Dan
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
Fire Arians
ImperialFan
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Big Ben On Martavis Bryant: “We Need Steelers’ Toughness”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/big-ben-on-martavis-bryant-we-need-steelers-toughness/

That article kind of scares me that Bryant is still at risk of going in the tank mentally. Might be a big offseason gamble to extend Wheaton longer term because you know he is a great route runner with good hands.

I hope Bryant plays big this week and continues to improve, because his skillset is elite. But something tells me they drafted Sammie Coates to be the #3 or #2 down the road, so one of these guys will not be here in 2017.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 4:17 pm

I hope Bryant has a support network (I read somewhere his mom was planning to move to Pittsburgh after his suspension was disclosed last summer) to help him get through rocky times - those with substance abuse problems often seek out those substances in stressful times
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 4:53 pm

He had the same problem at Clemson. Once the drops start happening he'll begin to disappear and very rarely he gets it going.

But if I'm Haley/Ben, my first pass play is going towards Bryant, show the belief in him from the get go and hopefully it'll give him confidence.

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 5:21 pm

Why keep throwing Bryants way? He cant catch.

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 5:41 pm

ImperialFan wrote:

Cause when he does catch it, it's usually a huge play or scoring play
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 5:47 pm

ImperialFan wrote:

Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 5:54 pm

No doubt bryant has shown flashes of greatness, just his recent regression has been disappointing especially when wheaton has made great strides and excelled at route running and having soft hands.

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Pittsburgh Steelers' Mike Tomlin: Martavis Bryant was benched, injured vs. Browns

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin maintains that Martavis Bryant was taken out of their 28-12 win over the Cleveland Browns with an injury.

Tomlin said it was a minor injury, didn't specify what it was and said the second-year wide receiver's illness last week affected his preparation for the game.

Bryant's final play of the game was Ben Roethlisberger's first interception of the game, a telegraphed pass intended for Bryant that Jordan Poyer picked off at the Pittsburgh 36 on first and 10 with 3:28 left in the first quarter.

The receiver chased down Poyer and tackled him at the Steelers' 24-yard line, falling on the left side of his head as he did so. Pittsburgh replaced Bryant with Darrius Heyward-Bey on the following drive.

full story

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2016/01/steelers_tomlin_bryant_int.html

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2016 10:42 pm

Bryant needs to focus on catching with his hands, reach out and grab the ball. Too often he try to let it get to his body and either the cb knocks it away or it bounces off him.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 1:52 am

I think Bryant's issues are mental. Ben has been publicly challenging him for a reason. Bryant can be as good as he wants to be. He just needs to clean up the mental mistakes, and work on his hands. He has all the talent to be one of the best in the game. He definitely reminds me of Randy Moss, the way that he is built, and the sheer size and speed combination that he has. It's a rare combination to have someone that size that can just toast opposing secondaries.

I believe he'll answer the call, I believe he's going to get better... Ben though, I get why he's calling one of his guys out. He's being a leader, but he needs to set the example first. A couple boneheaded interceptions per game, that have nearly cost this team dearly is not the way to set that example.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 7:48 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Ben though, I get why he's calling one of his guys out. He's being a leader, but he needs to set the example first. A couple boneheaded interceptions per game, that have nearly cost this team dearly is not the way to set that example.

^^^^^
This

Ben talks about "perfection" being required in the playoffs but when asked about his steady stream of interceptions (the pick in Cleveland by the linebacker dropping into coverage in the middle of the field when Ben tried to force the ball to Brown was pretty much a replay of the pick in Baltimore by the linebacker dropping into coverage in the middle of the field when Ben tried to force the ball to Brown), Ben said on his radio show yesterday

The Bengals defensive strategy is to drop their safeties to take away the deep ball first - with Williams out there certainly is no incentive for the Bengals  to bring their safeties closer to the line to help with run support.  If Ben continues his recent pattern of focusing on Brown except when he throws random chuck it deep balls (because that is what "gunslingers" do? Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 2829330259 ) it is going to be a long Saturday evening for Steelers fans.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 10:15 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Ben though, I get why he's calling one of his guys out. He's being a leader, but he needs to set the example first. A couple boneheaded interceptions per game, that have nearly cost this team dearly is not the way to set that example.

^^^^^
This

Ben talks about "perfection" being required in the playoffs but when asked about his steady stream of interceptions (the pick in Cleveland by the linebacker dropping into coverage in the middle of the field when Ben tried to force the ball to Brown was pretty much a replay of the pick in Baltimore by the linebacker dropping into coverage in the middle of the field when Ben tried to force the ball to Brown), Ben said on his radio show yesterday

The Bengals defensive strategy is to drop their safeties to take away the deep ball first - with Williams out there certainly is no incentive for the Bengals  to bring their safeties closer to the line to help with run support.  If Ben continues his recent pattern of focusing on Brown except when he throws random chuck it deep balls (because that is what "gunslingers" do?  Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 2829330259 ) it is going to be a long Saturday evening for Steelers fans.  

Do I detect a hint of arrogance in that statement?      Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 2829330259

How about focusing on making the right play for each situation and not just  big plays.    Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 2087824411
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 10:47 am

ImperialFan wrote:
No doubt bryant has shown flashes of greatness, just his recent regression has been disappointing especially when wheaton has made great strides and excelled at route running and having soft hands.

Wheaton was a polished route runner and had great hands when he was drafted. It didn't just happen in the past month. Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 294855916
Back to top Go down
Stryker

Stryker

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 10:56 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
ImperialFan wrote:

Wheaton was a polished route runner and had great hands when he was drafted.  It didn't just happen in the past month. Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 294855916
Isn't this the same guy who had his fingers mangled?

"It was time to go to the mattresses if you will" - Mike Tomlin

The worst tragedy in the world is running out of a pack of Luckies
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2016 11:29 am

Stryker wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
ImperialFan wrote:

Wheaton was a polished route runner and had great hands when he was drafted.  It didn't just happen in the past month. Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 294855916
Isn't this the same guy who had his fingers mangled?

I think he had a broken finger and they chose to let it heal splinted and avoid surgery. Its no worse than Torry Holt's digit.

Wheaton was the all time leading receiver at Oregon St and demonstrated that in the week of Senior Bowl practices. Below is a summary from a few years ago.

Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State: Wheaton has been the most impressive receiver at the Senior Bowl -- by far. The Oregon State product has displayed excellent speed, quickness and burst, routinely separating from defenders out of breaks. Most impressively, Wheaton has shown strong hands; he is an outstanding pass catcher in traffic. By showcasing the capacity to make plays at every level, Wheaton has created quite a buzz in the NFL scouting community
http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/0ap1000000130235/article/markus-wheaton-lane-johnson-among-senior-bowl-standouts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton vs Bryant   Wheaton vs Bryant - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wheaton vs Bryant
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2