Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeKiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller

Go down 
+18
SteelersYak
kan_t
BKAnthem
SteelersCanada
ImperialFan
BlackAndGold
rellimie
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
pczach
IowaSteeler927
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
Fire Arians
WCSteeler
El-Gonzo Jackson
PhantomJB93
effyou515
Lokki
harrison'samonster
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 11:58 pm

Mock Draft: What if the Steelers have to choose between Kendall Fuller and Eli Apple?

By Jeff.Hartman  on Feb 3, 2016

The Pittsburgh Steelers could have their choice at cornerbacks in the upcoming 2016 NFL Draft. One recent mock draft talks about the decision Pittsburgh could face with the 25th selection.

If you are honest with yourself, the Pittsburgh Steelers will be looking to add to their defensive roster in the 2016 NFL Draft, but the position will be highly debated. Could the Steelers look for an offensive player? In theory, yes, but a lot would have to transpire with athletes going off the board prior to the 25th pick even being made. Therefore, the debate then begins whether the Steelers go with another linebacker, or if they choose to add talent in the secondary.

The Steelers always take a Best Player Available (BPA) approach in the early rounds of the draft, and if there isn't an edge rusher who has dropped to them -- like Bud Dupree did in 2015 -- the team could be looking at the BPA at the cornerback position.

With the top tier talent likely off the board before the 25th pick, the Steelers could have a serious decision to make with two players who are considered to be first round talent, but not necessarily at the top of the list at their position. The two players? Kendall Fuller of Virginia Tech and Eli Apple of Ohio State.

There have been mock drafts who have both of these players as potential first round picks for the black and gold, but which player would better suit the secondary deprived Steelers? In SB Nation's latest mock draft, they have the Steelers looking at Apple, but not without thinking about Fuller.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers: Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

If cornerback ends up being the pick for Pittsburgh at No. 25, there's going to be a long debate between Apple and Kendall Fuller of Virginia Tech. Apple has superior size, athleticism and long-term potential.

This mock clearly thinks Apple is the choice, but let's take a look at the tale of the tape to give you a better glimpse at these two prospects who could help re-shape the team's secondary in 2016.

Eli Apple

Height: 6-feet 1-inch
Weight: 200-pounds

Strengths: Good height, weight and arm length combination. Clean footwork in transition with natural ability to mirror and match from press coverage. Won't open hips early and rarely turned around off line of scrimmage. Has foot quickness in short spaces to maintain feel for his man. Extremely competitive when ball is in the air. Has play strength to redirect receivers from their routes. Aggressive hands in coverage and fights hard to disrupt the catch by any means necessary. Finished with 22 passes defensed over last two years. Scouts praise him for work ethic and technical improvement over last two years. Will come downhill against run and is diligent with contain responsibilities.

Weaknesses: Can be slow to diagnose and anticipate quarterback's plans. Average reactive athleticism. Doesn't feature the balance or twitch to rocket forward and challenge throws if he's not shadowing his man. Won't always play to his size as a tackler. Dragged 18 yards after a catch against Penn State. Shows some stiffness as an open field tackler and allowed four broken tackles this season. Slow to turn head and find ball on deep throws. Becomes Mr. Grabs if he senses receiver is getting over the top of him or when he's trying to crowd the top of routes. Had four holding and seven pass interference penalties from 2014*-2015.

Scouting report via NFL.com.

Kendall Fuller

Height: 6-feet 1-inch
Weight: 196-pounds

Strengths: Supremely confident and believes he should make the biggest plays on the field. Looks to feast on unsuspecting quarterbacks. Has the feet and twitch to trigger and go when he reads the quarterback's intentions. Takes a direct path to the ball. Ball hawk in the short and intermediate passing game. Logged 34 passes defensed and eight interceptions in 2013 and 2014 combined. Savvy and trusts his instincts. Good coordination from press coverage and can track releases both inside and out. Understands the body game and gets into the chest of receivers while running downfield. Willing tackler who steps downhill and doesn't miss his mark very often.

Weaknesses: Lacking desired size and length for the outside spot. Doesn't have the recovery speed to be able to take as many chances on the pro level. Lacks field discipline. Gambler who will get his knot chopped by double moves and pump fakes. Allowed 16.7 yards per completion when he was fully healthy in 2014. Needs to get better at finding the ball when he's beaten over the top. His play style could lead to early penalty issues. Tried to play through a torn meniscus and ended up shutting it down after the first three games of the season.

Scouting report via NFL.com.

The latest mock draft clearly likes Apple over Fuller, but which prospect stands out to you? Would you go with the upside of Apple, or the pedigree of Fuller, despite the knee injury which had him sit out all but three games in 2015? If the Steelers have their choice, it will be a tough choice, but a good problem to have for a team in desperate need of young talent at the cornerback position.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-draft-pittsburgh-steelers-list-database/2016/2/3/10898056/mock-draft-steelers-first-round-pick-cornerback-kendall-fuller-eli-apple-choice
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 1:53 am

1(25) Pittsburgh Steelers: Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

The Steelers haven't selected a first-round cornerback in a very long time, but that's exactly what everyone said about them and an edge rusher, and the Chiefs and a corner, and the Cowboys and a lineman. These things change, and Pittsburgh's current status in terms of its secondary could prompt the front office to go against recent trends.

Kendall Fuller is a talented prospect who would be in top-15 consideration if it weren't for an injury. Thus, the Steelers could continue their strategy of taking the best player available.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2016_1.php#qU2S9ZXzHlglKZqH.99
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 2:58 pm

Steelers should be all-in on Kendall Fuller, Hunter Henry at NFL combine

Feb 22, 2016
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0222%2Fr56116_1296x729_16%2D9

Kendall Fuller could be a good fit for the Pittsburgh secondary

A closer look at the positions the Pittsburgh Steelers could target at the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

Positions of need: A position of need is one the Steelers have been trying to solve for a few years -- cornerback. They simply have gotten by in the defensive backfield the past few seasons but haven't solved this position for the long term. With three key corners from last year's team hitting the open market, now is the time to solve it. The Steelers could also take a close look at tight end after Heath Miller's retirement, at defensive tackles who play inside and out or at interior offensive linemen.

Kendall Fuller (CB), Virginia Tech: Injuries plagued Fuller in his junior season, but he displayed natural cover skills during his collegiate career and could intrigue the Steelers when the team picks 25th. He has good size at 6 feet and around 200 pounds, a welcome sight for a team that played mostly 5-10 corners last season. With Florida State's Jalen Ramsey and Florida's Vernon Hargreaves likely going in the top 10, Fuller should be one of the best from the remaining corner pool.

Hunter Henry (TE), Arkansas: The last time the Steelers drafted a tight end late in the first round, they got 11 seasons and 592 catches from a guy named Heath Miller, who retired last week. Henry is considered far and away the draft's best tight end after 51 catches for 739 yards last season. He has ideal size at 6-5, 253 pounds. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. says about Henry: "The kid has a knack for getting open." So did Miller. If Henry is available to them in late April, the Steelers could look long and hard at this option.

to read rest of article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/17826/steelers-should-be-all-in-on-kendall-fuller-hunter-henry-at-nfl-combine
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 5:52 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Steelers should be all-in on Kendall Fuller, Hunter Henry at NFL combine

Feb 22, 2016
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0222%2Fr56116_1296x729_16%2D9

Kendall Fuller could be a good fit for the Pittsburgh secondary

A closer look at the positions the Pittsburgh Steelers could target at the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

Positions of need: A position of need is one the Steelers have been trying to solve for a few years -- cornerback. They simply have gotten by in the defensive backfield the past few seasons but haven't solved this position for the long term. With three key corners from last year's team hitting the open market, now is the time to solve it. The Steelers could also take a close look at tight end after Heath Miller's retirement, at defensive tackles who play inside and out or at interior offensive linemen.

Kendall Fuller (CB), Virginia Tech: Injuries plagued Fuller in his junior season, but he displayed natural cover skills during his collegiate career and could intrigue the Steelers when the team picks 25th. He has good size at 6 feet and around 200 pounds, a welcome sight for a team that played mostly 5-10 corners last season. With Florida State's Jalen Ramsey and Florida's Vernon Hargreaves likely going in the top 10, Fuller should be one of the best from the remaining corner pool.

Hunter Henry (TE), Arkansas: The last time the Steelers drafted a tight end late in the first round, they got 11 seasons and 592 catches from a guy named Heath Miller, who retired last week. Henry is considered far and away the draft's best tight end after 51 catches for 739 yards last season. He has ideal size at 6-5, 253 pounds. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. says about Henry: "The kid has a knack for getting open." So did Miller. If Henry is available to them in late April, the Steelers could look long and hard at this option.

to read rest of article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/17826/steelers-should-be-all-in-on-kendall-fuller-hunter-henry-at-nfl-combine

Well the title makes it seem like Steelers are all in on both (wow would it be nice to get both). If that is even possible though, who is more likely to fall to the Steelers in the 2nd? Fuller or Henry?
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 10:27 pm

Fuller scares me quite a bit.

Does Henry step in and get touches immediately? What's his role in the offense? His blocking isn't a strength of his and he'd likely be the fourth or fifth read behind Brown, Bell, Bryant, Henry/Wheaton, Wheaton/Henry and likely in that order.

Heath Miller was greatly aided in this offense because Haley likely schemed him into it. Henry, coming into this offense, would be the least explosive player on the field on any given play. This isn't an indictment on Henry himself, it's just a testament to the ludicrous talent this team possesses on the boundary and in the back field. This team's draft board has always - and will always - be set on the Best Player Available, but there are 30 players (at least, and these are guys I can just think of right now -- given more thought, it would likely be more than that) I'd take above Henry. Process of elimination erases Henry from the 25th pick.

This offense already has a dynamic receiving weapon that is a mismatch against linebackers and is capable of making plays down the seam in Jesse James. The ideology in the draft may be BPA, but it might be BPA at a position of need. OL, DL and OLB are bigger needs on this football team.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 11:37 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:
Fuller scares me quite a bit.

Does Henry step in and get touches immediately? What's his role in the offense? His blocking isn't a strength of his and he'd likely be the fourth or fifth read behind Brown, Bell, Bryant, Henry/Wheaton, Wheaton/Henry and likely in that order.

Heath Miller was greatly aided in this offense because Haley likely schemed him into it. Henry, coming into this offense, would be the least explosive player on the field on any given play. This isn't an indictment on Henry himself, it's just a testament to the ludicrous talent this team possesses on the boundary and in the back field. This team's draft board has always - and will always - be set on the Best Player Available, but there are 30 players (at least, and these are guys I can just think of right now -- given more thought, it would likely be more than that) I'd take above Henry. Process of elimination erases Henry from the 25th pick.

This offense already has a dynamic receiving weapon that is a mismatch against linebackers and is capable of making plays down the seam in Jesse James. The ideology in the draft may be BPA, but it might be BPA at a position of need. OL, DL and OLB are bigger needs on this football team.

Todd Haley used Tony Moeaki at TE as a receiving option when he was at KC. I think he saw the ability to use Heath Miller in that capacity and didn't have to deliberately scheme him in. I do think that having a TE that can get out and block bubble screens, plus run the screen and go or be the hot read in blitz situations is important in this offense.

That being said, I agree that TE isn't as premium of a need in this offense where #25 should be the pick. But, they did want Maxx Williams last year and I think for a reason. I still think Nick Vannett has the knack of getting open in the seam and can block. He should be there in the 3rd. IMO, Jesse James isn't dynamic and needs work on his blocking.

Fuller coming off the injury could be devalued and I think he would be a solid CB in this system. IMO, a great fit, but would need safety help over the top from a good cover safety, which isn't currently on the roster. I still like Darrian Thompson at #25, or Fuller. I don't see drafting a LB for the 4th year in a row in round 1.
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 6:45 am

For years, we've always known the defense that would be played, the scheme they would play in, the gap responsibilities of DL, off coverage corners, physical safeties, and pass rushing OLBs. While some of this hasn't changed, much has. I don't think we know what the finished product might be, what talent they plan on adding to changing philosophies on the DL and possibly the secondary.

I think that they could draft nearly any position on the field with the first pick. I would prefer a safety or corner to hopefully make an immediate impact, but we don't know what they're thinking. If it's me, I go defense. I like Hunter Henry, but I don't think it's a requirement to draft a tight end early. They have plenty of offensive weapons.

I like Eli Apple at corner. I love his size, athleticism, footwork, and arm length. Fuller would also be a great fit in this defense. I'm a little worried about his injury and playing a physical style at this level, but he can play.

At safety, some mocks are having Thompson still available when the Steelers pick. He would be hard to pass up if he dropped to them IMO. I also like Cash and Killebrew, but I think Cash is the better fit based on the talent already on the roster.

Of course, a FA pickup would change all of this speculation and the needs of the draft.

Let the games begin!

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 12:09 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
rellimie wrote:
8 Cornerbacks in the Pro Bowl this year

5 x 1st Round Picks
3 x Undrafted

Richard Sherman was drafted in the 5th round...

Correct, Norman was also a 5th round pick.

So other than that, the stat is completely accurate.

No.

Cause there is only two undrafted CB's in the pro bowl.

4 x 1st round picks
2 x 5th round picks
2 x undrafted

#accuracy  Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 1797695198

#accuracy ???  But the blogging on the internet is based upon the premise that if you type it...it must be true.  No accuracy required.

Besides, I guess you cant find quality CB's in any other round in the draft but the 1st 5th and FA. Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 2829330259

Colbert Proves that ever year with his mid round CB picks...except he strikes out in the 5th and FA too
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 10:22 pm

ESPN's Todd McShay has the Steelers taking CB Mackensie Alexander with the 25th pick

By Jeff.Hartman on Mar 2, 2016

Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 Usa-today-9071297.0

Todd McShay released his Mock Draft 3.0 Wednesday, and the ESPN NFL Draft expert sees the Steelers taking a CB with their 1st overall pick.

Before the NFL Scouting Combine, producing NFL Mock Drafts resembles throwing darts. You have some targets, and you basically just pick which one you think is best. However, after the Combine, when teams spend a lot of time interviewing prospects, you get a feel for who NFL franchises are talking with, and positions they are looking to fill.

This doesn't make mock drafts any more reliable, they are still just a stab in the dark, but there is a little more theory behind the selections than just a random selection. So, when ESPN's Todd McShay released his 3.0 Mock Draft, most fans' were curious to see who he had slotted for their team in the first round, well except the New England Patriots** who don't have a first round pick.

For the Pittsburgh Steelers, McShay sees the team taking a cornerback in the first round, and one which they sat down and interviewed during the Combine. None other than Clemson CB Mackensie Alexander.

See what McShay had to say about the selection:

25. Pittsburgh Steelers

Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

Tight end is a need, and we have a first-round grade on Hunter Henry, but you have to think the Steelers are going to spend this pick on a defender. Quick-twitched, instinctive and capable versus the run, Alexander is a really good all-around player. But he finished college with zero interceptions and lacks ideal length; he measured 5-foot-10 with arms less than 31½ inches at the combine. Houston CB William Jackson III, who had an impressive combine workout and has really underrated tape, is another possibility here.

The fact McShay brings up Williams Jackson III is interesting, as his combine workout certainly helped his case to be a legitimate first round draft pick; however, he doesn't have the pedigree of Alexander coming out of one of the best NCAA programs in the country in Clemson.

If the Steelers want to go big on a cornerback, drafting one of these two players could be their answer, but the hope is whichever player the Steelers taking with the 25th overall pick is someone who can step on the field and play a significant role on the team, like Bud Dupree in 2015.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-draft-pittsburgh-steelers-list-database/2016/3/2/11146872/espns-todd-mcshay-has-the-steelers-taking-cb-mackensie-alexander-with
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 2:48 pm

Todd McShay's latest Mock Draft 3.0:

1. Tennessee - Laremy Tunsil T Mississippi
2. Cleveland - Carson Wentz QB Heaven
3. San Diego - DeForest Buckner DE Oregon
4. Dallas - Joey Bosa DE Ohio St.
5. Jacksonville - Jalen Ramsey CB Florida St.
6. Baltimore - Ronnie Stanley T Notre Dame
7. San Francisco - Jared Goff QB California
8. Miami - Myles Jack OLB UCLA
9. Tampa Bay - Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida
10. N.Y. Giants - Ezekiel Elliott RB Ohio St.
11. Chicago - Shaq Lawson DE Clemson
12. New Orleans - A'Shawn Robinson DT Alabama
13. Philadelphia - Jack Conklin T Michigan St.
14. Oakland - Eli Apple CB Ohio St.
15. Los Angeles - Laquon Treadwell WR Mississippi
16. Detroit - Taylor Decker T Ohio St.
17. Atlanta - Darron Lee OLB Ohio St.
18. Indianapolis - Leonard Floyd OLB Georgia
19. Buffalo - Sheldon Rankins DT Louisville
20. N.Y. Jets - Noah Spence DE Eastern Kentucky
21. Washington - Jarran Reed DT Alabama
22. Houston - Vernon Butler DT Louisiana Tech
23. Minnesota - Vonn Bell S Ohio St.
24. Cincinnati - Josh Doctson WR TCU
25. Pittsburgh - Mackensie Alexander CB Clemson
26. Seattle - Robert Nkemdiche DT Mississippi
27. Green Bay - Reggie Ragland ILB Alabama
28. Kansas City - Chris Jones DT Mississippi St.
29. Arizona - Kamalei Correa OLB Boise St.
30. Carolina - Emmanuel Ogbah DE Oklahoma St.
31. Denver - Jason Spriggs T Indiana

Best prospects remaining

1. Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas
2. Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
3. Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
4. Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
5. Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M
6. Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame
7. Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State
8. Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State
9. Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State
10. Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State
11. Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson
12. Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
13. Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia
14. Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
15. Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
16. Ryan Kelly, OC, Alabama
17. William Jackson III, CB, Houston
18. Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas
19. Jerell Adams, TE, South Carolina
20. Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Todd McShay 2016 Mock Draft 4.0: Steelers Select Ohio State CB Eli Apple 25th Overall

BY DAVE BRYAN MARCH 24, 2016

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay has now released his latest mock of the first two rounds of the 2016 NFL Draft on Thursday and after previously having the Pittsburgh Steelers selecting Clemson cornerback Mackensie Alexander with the 25th overall pick, he now has them picking Ohio State cornerback Eli Apple in his latest version, which is his fourth of the offseason.

McShay writes of Apple being mocked to the Steelers:

At this point, all 21 players with first-round grades are off the board, so every pick could feel like a slight reach. Apple’s tape is good but not elite. While his 4.40 40 speed is a positive, he needs to improve his technique in press coverage. He’s a willing participant against the run, which is especially important in the AFC North, and teams will like his long, 6-foot-1 frame.

While Apple being mocked to the Steelers certainly isn’t anything new so far this offseason, it should be noted that McShay now has the Ohio State product as the third defensive back selected in the first round behind only Jalen Ramsey and Vernon Hargreaves III respectively. Additionally, McShay now has Alexander sliding into the second round.

We have already talked about Apple quite a bit in previous mock draft posts, so there’s really no need to regurgitate all of that information. The Steelers were present for Apple’s pro day so now we’ll wait and see if they wind up bringing him to Pittsburgh next month for a pre-draft visit.

In the second round of his latest mock, McShay has the Steelers selecting UCLA defensive tackle Kenny Clark with the 58th overall pick in this year’s draft and here is what he had to say about that choice for Pittsburgh.

Clark has the quickness and agility to create some disruption in the backfield, and he’s nimble enough to execute twists and stunts. After having just one sack in his first 26 games, he added six last season in 13 contests.

Clark, who measured in at the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine at 6025, 314-pounds, registered 74 total tackles in 2015 to go along with 6 sacks, of which 3 of them came in UCLA’s win over Washington state, according to ESPN.com. According to numbers compile by STATS, Clark registered 18 total pressures last season in addition to having 6 stuffs and 43 run disruptions.

Alex Kozora has his breakdown of Clark scheduled to be released Friday morning so be on the lookout for that.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/todd-mcshay-2016-mock-draft-4-0-steelers-select-ohio-state-cb-eli-apple-25th-overall/
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 2:52 pm

Kenny Clark might be interesting in that he is really more suited as a 3 technique, but if the Steelers are really looking to play more 1 gap responsibilities in the interior line, he could play there. Really a 2 down interior lineman, so have to determine if they want to spend a 2nd round on their NT.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2016 11:05 pm

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

First-round spot: 25

Mock drafts:

» Daniel Jeremiah: Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
» Charles Davis: Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
» Bucky Brooks: Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
» Lance Zierlein: William Jackson III, CB, Houston
» Chad Reuter: Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -nfl-teams
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 25, 2016 11:43 am

IDK if I see them going CB in round 1, but Jackson III would be my hope if they did. If they found Kenny Clark in the 2nd round and then look for a safety in round 3 or 4 (Darrian Thompson, Tyvis Powell, Killebrew, Jayron Kearse, Jeremy Cash.....one of them will be there)

The other options I like are Bell at safety in round 1 (but I don't think he is BPA @ #25), then DT Clark in the 2nd and Eric Murray CB Minnesota in the 3rd.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 9:32 pm

Scout.com Publishers Mock Draft

by Tim Yotter / Originally published onScout NFL Network

24. Cincinnati Bengals

Andrew Billings, NT, Baylor – With Domata Peko slowing down, the Bengals get themselves a real load for division rival Maurkice Pouncey to handle in what is becoming the new blood game in the AFC North. Marvin Lewis steals the big man one pick ahead of Mike Tomlin.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers

William Jackson, CB, Houston – With a gnashing of teeth in the Steelers’ war room when Billings was drafted by their division rival, the Steelers went with the more practical pick at cornerback. The 30th-ranked pass defense last year lost three of five starters to their 4-2-5 base defense, so Jackson will provide a start. He won’t be first off the bus in Cincy as Billings would have, and Jackson’s not nearly as sexy a pick, but it has a solid base in practicality.

26. Seattle Seahawks

Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville – The Seahawks need help along the offensive line, but defensive tackle is also a concern with long-time starter Brandon Mebane leaving via free agency. After a terrific week at the Senior Bowl and in subsequent workouts, Rankins is viewed as an ascending prospect and simply too good to pass up at this point in the draft. The depth along the offensive line could allow Seattle to wait until Day 2 to address their leaky front.

27. Green Bay Packers

A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama – B.J. Raji’s surprise choice to not play in 2016, the decision to make Datone Jones a hybrid defensive end-outside linebacker and the season-opening suspension to Mike Pennel left the Packers paper-thin up front. Robinson becomes an instant starter at defensive end.

28. Kansas City Chiefs

Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis – The Kansas City Chiefs heavily scouted Lynch this past season and brought him into KC for an official visit in March. With Chiefs QB Alex Smith in his 30s, head coach Andy Reid needs to develop a young franchise quarterback. Never in their rich football history have the Chiefs drafted a first-round quarterback that ultimately became a franchise quarterback and Lynch might just be the one.

29. Arizona Cardinals

Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson – Trading for New England pass rusher Chandler Jones took care of one need area. The secondary remains concerning with Jerraud Powers still testing free agency and Tyrann Mathieu coming off another injury. Alexander is a sincere cover corner, but the combination of his limited size and zero interceptions at Clemson dropped his stock some.

30. Carolina Panthers

Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson – The Carolina Panthers have done an excellent job of addressing the few weaknesses in their roster prior to the draft. They are able to go in now and add the best player available, who in this case is Dodd. GM Dave Gettleman is always searching for pass rushers and, while Dodd is a little raw, the Panthers are able to allow him time to develop, play behind Charles Johnson for the 2016 season and become the future starter at the position.

31. Denver Broncos

Vernon Butler, DL, Louisiana Tech – John Elway has selected a defensive player with the Broncos first pick in each of his seasons as GM and, notwithstanding their QB quandary, the trend continues with Butler. Butler can play anywhere along the Wade Phillips’ defensive line and, working with position coach Bill Kollar, will quickly be able to plug and play in the 5-tech defensive end spot vacated by Malik Jackson.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/story/1657815-scout-com-publishers-mock-draft?s=68
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 11:52 pm

If Sheldon Rankins falls this far, the Steelers should run to the podium and announce the pick.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2016 6:36 am

I wonder how accurate the mock drafts are (like who has the highest average of percentage of being right).

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2016 9:18 am

kan_t wrote:
If Sheldon Rankins falls this far, the Steelers should run to the podium and announce the pick.

I almost agree with this and maybe even A'Shawn Robinson. Robinson rotated through the 3 different positions in 'Bama's 3-4 defensive line. He would definitely have the ability, by late season, to give Tuitt and Heyward rest. And by next year you would essentially have 3 starters along that line with 3 guys rotating in 2 positions (in sub-package alignments). As much as I want to see a corner picked at 25, I still think of how Denver ran the ball very effectively against the Steelers on their late scoring drive ... and Tuitt and Heyward standing with their hands on their hips sucking wind between plays.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2016 2:24 pm

Three weeks out mock draft

by Dale Lolley

With three weeks now remaining before the start of the NFL draft, the silly season is up and running. Rumors, innuendo and flat out lies will be put out about this prospect or team as the jockeying to acquire the right guy or throw up false smoke signals becomes the rule of the day.

With all of that in mind, here is my three weeks out mock draft:

1. San Francisco (from Tennessee), Jared Goff, QB, Calfornia: Yep, I’m putting Goff as the top pick. The 49ers won’t hope he lasts until pick 7.

2. Cleveland, Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State: I think Goff is the better prospect, but the Browns like Wentz better. I probably have a better track record than Cleveland looking at quarterbacks.

3. San Diego, Jalen Ramsey, S, Florida State: This one doesn’t change. Ramsey has the look of a future star.

4. Dallas, Ezekial Elliott, RB, Ohio State: Jerry Jones likes his stars. Elliott could be a star.

5. Jacksonville, Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State: Back-to-back Ohio State picks. The Jags are building a potential big-time winner.

6. Baltimore, Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss: The Ravens get lucky here and get the draft’s best offensive lineman.

7. Tennessee, Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame: The Titans move down and acquire extra picks, but miss out on Tunsil. Stanley’s not a bad consolation prize.

8. Philadelphia, Myles Jack, LB, UCLA: Jack is a jack of all trades and might be the best athlete in this draft.

9. Tampa Bay, Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida: The Bucs need to upgrade their secondary, though they would have liked line help on either side of the ball here.

10. N.Y. Giants, Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State: Three Buckeyes in the top 10. Lee is a Ryan Shazier clone.

11. Chicago, DeForest Bruckner, DE, Oregon: The failure of some other Oregon defensive prospects will scare some teams away from taking Bruckner higher. Can he buck the trend?

12. New Orleans, A’Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama: The Steelers brought Robinson in for a visit earlier this week. But the talented big man won’t last until their pick.

13. Miami, Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson: The Dolphins need cornerback help badly. Alexander is brash but smaller than ideal.

14. Oakland, William Jackson, CB, Houston: The Raiders love the fast guys. And Jackson has plenty of speed.

15. Los Angeles Rams, Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis: The Rams need to give Jeff Fisher a QB to work with rather than going with journeyman after journeyman.

16. Detroit, Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson: The Lions can bookend Lawson with Ziggy Ansah to provide a solid pass rush.

17. Atlanta, Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama: Ragland will provide immediate run-stopping ability for the Falcons and will be their defensive captain for years to come.

18. Indianapolis, Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State: The Colts have to protect the quarterback better.

19. Buffalo, Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss: The Bills will add Treadwell to give Sammy Watkins a running mate.

20. N.Y. Jets, Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia: The Jets need to improve their pass rush.

21. Washington, Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor: Many Steelers fans have a love affair with Billings. He doesn’t last.

22. Houston, Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss: Nkemdiche is athletic enough to play inside or out opposite J.J. Watt if he can keep his head on straight.

23. Minnesota, Cody Whitehair, G, Kansas State: The Vikings need to improve the interior of their offensive line.

24. Cincinnati, Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville: The Bengals pass on receiver to get younger in the middle of their defense. They have to slow Le’Veon Bell, after all.

25. Pittsburgh, Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State: Tall and athletic. He’s not a finished product yet, but in this mock, he falls to the Steelers.

26. Seattle, Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State: The Seahawks have had a complete turnover in their offensive front since winning the Super Bowl a couple of years ago.

27. Green Bay, Jarran Reed, DT. Alabama: The Packers need a big man in the middle.

28. Kansas City, Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky: This jumped to an immediate need when Justin Houston was lost for what looks to be the season.

29. Arizona, Keanu Neal, S, Florida: An outside-the-box pick for the Cardinals.

30. New England, forfeited

31. Carolina, Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana: Michael Oher at LT. Really?

32. Denver, Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame: The Super Bowl champs can afford to have Smith not play much if at all this season. But he was a top-15 talent before his knee injury. Now, he can sit and learn.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20160406/three_weeks_out_mock_draft#.VwXUd6e4wRs.twitter
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2016 12:26 am

ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has Steelers taking William Jackson III over Eli Apple in latest mock draft

By Jeff.Hartman on Apr 7, 2016

Could the Pittsburgh Steelers draft a CB in the first round since 1997? ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. certainly believes 2016 is the time to break the trend.

When it comes to mock drafts, there are those who people rarely talk about, and those who cause a stir among the 32 NFL fan bases. Count ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. into the latter group. Kiper is a personality fans love to hate. They yell and scream at his obsession with almost every prospect, and scold him when he projects their favorite team to pick someone they don't necessarily agree with.

With Kiper releasing his Mock Draft 4.0, you can only imagine there would be a great deal of discussion to stem from him having CB William Jackson III going to Pittsburgh with the No. 25 pick. However, Kiper isn't the only expert to predict Jackson to be donning a black and gold uniform in 2016. What makes Kiper's mock draft more interesting is who he has the Steelers passing on to draft Jackson III.

First, see what Kiper had to say about the team's selection of the Houston defensive back:

25. Pittsburgh Steelers

William Jackson III, CB, Houston
The Steelers could be a better secondary away from Super Bowl contention, and while you don't want to rely on rookies back there too often, Pittsburgh doesn't have a choice and should add talent wherever there's value to be had. Jackson is rising on boards everywhere and could be a good get at this stage.

The thought of the Steelers being a better secondary away from Super Bowl contention is right on. However, many will debate if Jackson III is the cornerback to select in the draft to get them there.

In this particular mock draft, the Steelers taking Jackson is followed by the Seattle Seahawks drafting Eli Apple from Ohio State. Not to mention Kendall Fuller and Mackensie Alexander both going undrafted in the opening round of the selection process.

So, is Jackson III the better prospect than Apple? Kiper, acting on the Steelers' behalf, certainly thinks so. Jackson lit up the NFL Scouting Combine, and had his size, strength, speed and range on full display. It was an impressive performance and one which saw him sky rocket up most experts draft boards, all the way to a first round talent.

Nonetheless, Kiper certainly is high on Jackson III, and he isn't alone with his sentiment. Besides him being the choice over names like Apple, Alexander and Fuller, the question of the team drafting a cornerback in the first round since 1997 still lingers leading up to the big day.

Time will tell if Kiper is on to something, or if the draft will simply unfold and the Steelers will adjust accordingly, but it will be interesting to see who they grade highest if all four of these cornerback prospects are available when the team drafts No. 25th overall in the 2016 NFL Draft.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-draft-pittsburgh-steelers-list-database/2016/4/7/11376952/espn-nfl-draft-analyst-mel-kiper-jr-has-steelers-taking-william
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 9:03 pm

ESPN Todd McShay's latest mock draft has the Steelers answering some major questions in Rounds 1-3

By Jeff.Hartman on Apr 12, 2016

The Pittsburgh Steelers defensive needs certainly trump any which are present on the offensive side of the ball, and in Todd McShay's 'Grade A' mock draft he certainly has the team addressing those needs in Rounds 1-3.

As the 2016 NFL Draft rapidly approaches, the Pittsburgh Steelers continue their search for defensive players who will help elevate their sagging defense into a championship caliber squad. It is well known the Steelers largest questions lie on the defensive half of the football field, but which position the team addresses in the first round with the 25th overall pick remains a mystery.

Fans turn to "experts" who provide mock drafts to help shine the light on what might be on the horizon for any particular NFL team. One of the more trusted names in the NFL Draft analysis game is ESPN's Todd McShay. McShay just released his "Grade A" 3-round mock draft, and he certainly had the Steelers taking care of business in the first three rounds.

Before getting into his selections, take a look at how he approached creating this mock draft:

Please read the ground rules:

1. At each slot, I make a pick in the best interest of only the team with the pick. I won't pass on a player at No. 4 just because I like the team better at No. 5.

2. No trades unless they're already done. I try to address team needs, but like the draft, value can supersede need.

3. Again: I'm not projecting. It's more a look at where I see value up and down the board.

So, McShay put his GM hat on for 32 NFL teams and rattled off three rounds of selections based on his knowledge of prospects, team needs and overall value at the position. Take a look at who he projected to the Steelers in all 3-rounds:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Round 1 (25): William Jackson III, CB, Houston
Round 2 (58): Darian Thompson, S, Boise State
Round 3 (89): Adam Gotsis, DE, Georgia Tech

Analysis: The Steelers' pass defense needs a major upgrade after allowing 272 yards per game last season (30th overall). Jackson has a good frame (6-0, 189 pounds) and elite speed (4.37 40). He thrives off the challenge of facing the opposing team's No. 1 WR, while Thompson finished his Boise State career with 19 interceptions. Gotsis shows terrific toughness on tape and would provide a boost to Pittsburgh's run defense as he continues to develop.

Say what you want about McShay and his projections, but if the Steelers draft were to work out in a similar fashion, there shouldn't be much complaining from the fan base. Drafting a top tier cornerback in the first round, a hard-hitting and versatile safety in the second and a defensive end with a ton of upside to add depth behind Stephon Tuitt and Cameron Heyward in the third would be tremendous.

Sure, the names could change. It could be Mackensie Alexander at No. 25 rather than Jackson, Karl Joseph might hang around at No. 58 and there is a myriad of defensive linemen who could fill the need for depth in the third round. However you slice it, if the Steelers are able to address their three biggest areas of need -- cornerback, safety and defensive line -- in the first 3 rounds, I would think most would agree the team has done their part in helping shape what should be a championship product in 2016, and beyond.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-news-rumors/2016/4/12/11414414/espn-todd-mcshays-latest-mock-draft-has-the-steelers-answering-some
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 9:50 am

I like those picks, although I question Gotsis in the 3rd. Maybe a good value in the 5th. He's a tough kid and plays the run really well, but in the few GT games I saw last year, I don't remember seeing him in the backfield on pass plays. I think I read somewhere that he is coming off a late season knee injury?

Maybe Carl Nassib will be there in the 3rd or Chris Jones, plus with Jones you get a guy that will be picked on forever for having his junk fall out on his 40 yard crash. Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 3562723908
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 10:54 am

So...does that help or hurt his draft status?
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2016 7:58 pm

My 1st round picks for #25 in order.

Billings
Joseph(really wanted him in round 2 but seems like he's an option in round 1 now. He's worth it, if his knee is fine)
WJIII
Keanu Neal
A'Shawn Robinson

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 7:32 pm

I will say this, I keep hearing nothing but good things about Karl Joseph. Everything I read, hear, and watch says he's basically a first round talent but is consensus R2 because of his size. And he's really not even that undersized.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller   Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Steelers choose CB Kendall Fuller
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next