Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWhat do we do with Timmons? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

What do we do with Timmons?

Go down 
+19
Wallace108
teegre
harrison'samonster
FrancoLambert
SteelerFreak58
Buddha Bus
jak341
pczach
schillah
DesertSteel
kirklandrules
Vis
IowaSteeler927
Hawaii 5-0
El-Gonzo Jackson
Fire Arians
BlackAndGold
ImperialFan
steelers5895
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
steelers5895
Banned

What do we do with Timmons? Empty
PostSubject: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 12:27 pm

My opinion he will be released for the cap savings. His play is not equal to his salary and the rumor is he wont take a pay cut. Timmons play this year was very disappointing. Minimal splash plays, a liability in pass coverage to the point as the end of the year he was replaced on obvious passing downs and you seemed to be a step slow, especially when blitzing.

If he re-negotiates to where it is team friendly then he may stay but if he takes a stance he will be let go. he was I think ranked the 90- something best LB in 2015. That's not going to cut it.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 1:05 pm

I don't really care what we do with him. He's good but not worth big money. I'm more excited about players like shazier, heyward, tuitt, Dupree and maybe a pass rusher we take in the draft.

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 1:27 pm

Extension.

Banned

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 1:46 pm

ImperialFan wrote:
I don't really care what we do with him. He's good but not worth big money. I'm more excited about players like shazier, heyward, tuitt, Dupree and maybe a pass rusher we take in the draft.

agree 100%. we need to draft his replacement this year.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 2:15 pm

What do we do with Timmons? Hqdefault
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 9:06 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
Extension.

Yeah, I see this most likely happening.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 9:53 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
Extension.

Big City: Ed, Ray mentioned in his chat yesterday that they could save around $8M on the cap this season by cutting Timmons. With the depth at inside linebacker, it makes all the sense in the world to do just that and reallocate the money for a shutdown corner - the more important position and one of greater need. Thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: Do not assume if they have the money they will be able to sign a "shutdown corner.'' They would not be the only ones interested and there are not a boatload of them out there waiting. I would think they would ask Timmons to take a paycut before they would just release him. Now, maybe he would not agree to the paycut and they would wind up releasing him. It happened to James Harrison in 2013, when he then signed with the Bengals.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/01/26/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-1-26-16/stories/201601260182
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 5:07 am

I think Timmons will probably give the team a hometown discount. He wasn't part of a lot of splash plays because guys like Shazier stepped up their game this year. Timmons is getting older, and is still playing relatively well. Timmons/Harrison are the veteran leaders of the linebacking corps. Losing Timmons would only hurt this team at this point. We need to keep him around. We have Williams/Spence that offer depth at the position. So if we keep Timmons we can focus on other more dire positions of need in the draft.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
steelers5895
Banned

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 2:21 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I think Timmons will probably give the team a hometown discount. He wasn't part of a lot of splash plays because guys like Shazier stepped up their game this year. Timmons is getting older, and is still playing relatively well. Timmons/Harrison are the veteran leaders of the linebacking corps. Losing Timmons would only hurt this team at this point. We need to keep him around. We have Williams/Spence that offer depth at the position. So if we keep Timmons we can focus on other more dire positions of need in the draft.

veteran leaders? we wont pay a guy $8 million to be a veteran leader. the issue is as good as we are at developing offensive talent is how much we struggle to develop defensive talent. that is why we hang on to old timers too long. so, we stick with an aging Harrison, or when it was Woodley or farrier or troy or gay or will allen (who actually is playing great) while Jones, Allen , Dupree and Shazier underperform.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 3:11 pm

if push comes to shove, i think vince williams can handle the buck position just fine
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 3:40 pm

b
steelers5895 wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

veteran leaders?  we wont pay a guy $8 million to be a veteran leader.  the issue is as good as we are at developing offensive talent is how much we struggle to develop defensive talent.  that is why we hang on to old timers too long.  so, we stick with an aging Harrison, or when it was Woodley or farrier or troy or gay or will allen (who actually is playing great) while Jones, Allen , Dupree and Shazier underperform.

I just throw random names around then make a random broad observation that is borderline accurate then hammer it in with unrelated facts to create the illusion that I am participating in an insightful constructive conversation when really what I'm doing is the equivalent of sitting in applebees while picking my boogers and eating them while I fart into jars and name the fart jars, slap a name tag on them and have conversations with them then falling asleep with my pants down while I try to decide what to order for desert
. Fixed for accuracy

/thread

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 3:45 pm

easy there tony lol
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 3:47 pm

Timmons is the rock in the middle. He would be sorely missed.

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
easy there tony lol

Hey I learned from the best, but seriously this guy is worse than I was when I'd post drunk after a loss, he isn't even making sense. We can't develop defensive talent? Why? Because our defense got old and then the old players left and they're being filled in with players that have clearly shown growth and a lot of it this season. Shaz tuitt and heyward are not developing? Did this guy even see any games? What do we do with Timmons? 1505004552

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 4:14 pm

ImperialFan wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
easy there tony lol

Hey I learned from the best, but seriously this guy is worse than I was when I'd post drunk after a loss, he isn't even making sense. We can't develop defensive talent? Why? Because our defense got old and then the old players left and they're being filled in with players that have clearly shown growth and a lot of it this season. Shaz tuitt and heyward are not developing? Did this guy even see any games? What do we do with Timmons? 1505004552

I thought you had made a resolution to tone it down?
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 4:32 pm

I have toned it down. I relapsed. This shit is out of hand though. Everyone knows our defense is much improved and that the arrow is pointing up, we have a lot of young developing  talent. I just can't see how anyone can say That our young defensive linemen are under performing. Jarvis Jones is the only one not living up to expectations, tuitt, heyward and shazier have brought so much to our defense this season, we are forcing turn overs and sacking quarterbacks again. Our secondary still needs work but to say our defense is not developing is just maddening. How can anyone who watched this team In 2014 then again through out 2015 say we are not developing our defensive players? Explain. That please if you are on board with that notion.

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 5:15 pm

Keep the debate on the subject matter and away from attacking the person.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 5:41 pm

I'm sorry. I relapsed. But relapse is part of recovery :) I apologize and will continue to work on my manners when it comes to things like this. It was meant light heartedly and as a joke but I see where it could be offensive.

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 8:59 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
Extension.

Big City: Ed, Ray mentioned in his chat yesterday that they could save around $8M on the cap this season by cutting Timmons. With the depth at inside linebacker, it makes all the sense in the world to do just that and reallocate the money for a shutdown corner - the more important position and one of greater need. Thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: Do not assume if they have the money they will be able to sign a "shutdown corner.'' They would not be the only ones interested and there are not a boatload of them out there waiting. I would think they would ask Timmons to take a paycut before they would just release him. Now, maybe he would not agree to the paycut and they would wind up releasing him. It happened to James Harrison in 2013, when he then signed with the Bengals.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/01/26/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-1-26-16/stories/201601260182

I've been reading all of Ed's chats for years and he has generally turned into a butt-hat in them. He never takes anyone's view seriously and takes the first opportunity to make people look like morons, by elevating his opinion.

The question asked made good sense in his comment and Ed just shot it down because to agree would make Ed less of an expert. Fact is, I think top players would WANT to come to Pittsburgh right now. We're loaded for 2016 and a top corner would know he's the missing piece.

By the way, I like reading Ed's columns, but he really is a butt-hat in the chats these days. Funny story: I sent him an email years ago about an upcoming game against the Titans and he emailed me back at halftime of the game lol.
Back to top Go down
schillah

schillah

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 11:19 pm

Timmons isn't going anywhere, nor should he.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyWed Jan 27, 2016 11:46 pm

schillah wrote:

Timmons has a 2016 salary cap hit of $15,131,250.

you're okay with that?
Back to top Go down
schillah

schillah

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 12:52 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
schillah wrote:

Timmons has a 2016 salary cap hit of $15,131,250.

you're okay with that?

the standard is the standard.

What do we do with Timmons? 2837018037
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 1:47 am

steelers5895 wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

veteran leaders?  we wont pay a guy $8 million to be a veteran leader.  the issue is as good as we are at developing offensive talent is how much we struggle to develop defensive talent.  that is why we hang on to old timers too long.  so, we stick with an aging Harrison, or when it was Woodley or farrier or troy or gay or will allen (who actually is playing great) while Jones, Allen , Dupree and Shazier underperform.  

You can't really put a price on veteran leadership. Leadership is needed to help keep younger players focused and give them an example to follow. Look at how the younger linebackers look up to James Harrison. His work ethic is out of this world, the guy is a machine, and while he's not as explosive as he used to be as a pass rusher, he is still extremely stout against the run. So he offers us quality snaps, and he mentors the younger guys and shows them the Steeler way. You have to have guys like that on your team that have that kind of experience and leadership capabilities. Bud Dupree can learn a lot from a guy like Harrison, and if Harrison should stay around for one more season, Bud is going to benefit a lot from working out with Harrison in the offseason.

Jones has underperformed but I don't really get the claim that Dupree and Shazier have underperformed. Shazier was playing absolutely lights out for us at the end of this season. He's fast, good in coverage, and he can tackle and hit. His problem isn't his play, it's his health. He needs to stay healthy. As for Dupree he wasn't dominant, but coming in and playing OLB in the Steelers defense isn't a cakewalk. He's given us a lot of quality snaps, and while he wasn't getting the sacks he was getting quite a few pressures. If he continues to work to hone his craft he's only going to get better, he has an extremely quick first step, and if he can combine that with some pass rushing moves, then other teams had better watch out. As for Cortez Allen, I think he'll be gone in the nearer future. We all know he's been a disappointment.

I don't believe the problem is with the development of talent, the Steelers know how to develop talent. Look at guys like Kelvin Beachum, Alejandro Villanueva, Cockrell, William Gay, Stephon Tuitt, Cameron Heyward... The list goes on and on. They know how to develop talent, the fact of the matter is that you're not going to hit home runs on every single player you draft or take a risk on. That's the NFL, the drafting of players is kind of like playing the lottery. Jarvis Jones looked to be a force coming out of college and leading the SEC in sacks. He hasn't panned out. I think he's a decent backup player, but he's not starting material. It happens. It's extremely difficult to gauge who is going to be good at the NFL level based on their collegiate performances. In the NFL they're going up against the cream-of-the-crop week in, and week out. In college the competition level is not nearly as difficult across the board. So you're going to draft guys that look great, that have the size, the intangibles, and the game tape to make you believe, and then for whatever reason, they just don't have "it" at the NFL level. That's the reality of professional football. Not everyone is going to be a future HOFer.

pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 6:35 am

This team is so terrible at developing talent that they outplayed and controlled nearly the entire game against the team representing the AFC in the Super Bowl with half the offense out injured.

Yep, they have no idea what they're doing. What do we do with Timmons? 1505004552

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 7:37 am

pczach wrote:
This team is so terrible at developing talent that they outplayed and controlled nearly the entire game against the team representing the AFC in the Super Bowl with half the offense out injured.

Yep, they have no idea what they're doing. What do we do with Timmons? 1505004552

Yeah I don't get it, we were a few plays away from being in the AFC Championship game without Antonio Brown even on the field and yet there is a contingent of individuals that still find something to complain about... We should be proud of what this team was able to accomplish this season despite injuries. We have much better depth than I thought at a lot of positions. We address a few key needs in the draft, and maybe with a free agent signing, and we could be a force to be reckoned with.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do we do with Timmons?   What do we do with Timmons? Empty

Back to top Go down

What do we do with Timmons?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next