Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)

Go down 
+6
pczach
Hawaii 5-0
harrison'samonster
jak341
IowaSteeler927
teegre
10 posters
AuthorMessage
teegre

teegre

TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   Empty
PostSubject: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 7:47 am

Here is my latest article for The Point of Pittsburgh.  It parallels the free agency of Rodney Harrison in 2003 with the upcoming free agency of Eric Weddle.  

Essentially, it is my plea for the Steelers to sign Weddle.  

Like Tears in Rain
by Tiger Rowan  

The manner in which memories get entrenched into one’s brain is fascinating. Science has indicated that smells are the primary catalyst for sparking a memory. For example, the mixture of cookies and pine trees often takes people back to when they were kids on Christmas Day. Sounds can have this effect, as well. For me, it is showers… specifically a shower from thirteen years ago.

I was in the shower, listening to local sports talk radio, when I heard the crushing news: Rodney Harrison had signed with the Patriots*. I stopped lathering, and just stared at the fogged up mirrors. A tear may have escaped from the corner of my eye, but who really knows, as it would have been lost amongst the droplets of water careening off of my face.  

Read more:  
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/like-tears-in-rain-history-repeating-from-2003-for-steelers/

Feel free to pass this along to anyone who might enjoy it and/or who might empathize with missing out on their favorite free agent.  

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 8:01 am

Great read Teeg! As usual.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 8:24 am

For some reason, I thought of this:

Good song, good movie. Good article!
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 10:26 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Great read Teeg! As usual.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 10:27 am

jak341 wrote:
For some reason, I thought of this:

Good song, good movie. Good article!

Nice.

Thank you for the kind words.

Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 10:40 am

great article Teegre!

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 11:19 am

harrison'samonster wrote:
great article Teegre!

Thanks, HAM.

So... are you on the "sign Weddle" bandwagon? Why or why not?

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 12:59 pm

hey t, imo this is the best article you've written yet!

Eric Weddle would be a HUGE upgrade over Will Allen, hopefully a Mike Mitchell type of deal gets him wearing the Black & Gold...
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 1:09 pm

teegre wrote:
great article Teegre!

Thanks, HAM.  

So... are you on the "sign Weddle" bandwagon?  Why or why not?  

Yes. Sign him.

1. Like Buddha and I discussed briefly in the other thread, he has the beard and the ability to stunt the growth of our young players. Like him already!

2. Like Hawaii said just above, he's an upgrade over Allen. I have loved Allen and his contributions to this team. I think he's still got some football left in him, but I think we need to fill this spot with somebody who can make our defense better.

3. I don't give Ben many more years, and we need to make a move to instantly make this defense better. We talk about pass protection and pass rushing, but we need to think of pass disruption too.

pczach

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 4:22 pm

Great read teeg.

I love how you remember the exact moment you heard the news about Rodney Harrison. We have all had those moments, good and bad, when you remember exactly how you felt at a specific moment of your life. Football has such an emotional component to it, and our love of the game has a way of making the emotions upon hearing the news of a player transaction feel like it has been branded into our consciousness. It can be recalled at any given moment with the right stimuli.

Very descriptive writing brother. You nailed the emotion of the moment. TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   184121345

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 5:12 pm

Great read as always, Teeg! I'm excited at the prospect of upgrading the secondary through the free agency pick-up of Eric Weddle. We need a player who can come in and make a difference right now while the iron is hot. Weddle would fill that bill and allow more flexibility in the draft.

The Steelers could still draft a good young safety, but having Weddle would allow them to bring him along at a pace that wouldn't endanger the team's chances at another Super Bowl next season by relying on a rookie that may make more mistakes and take more time to learn the system.

We need immediate impact players added to this defense now before the Big Ben window closes. This sounds like our best option at taking a step towards that while also adding a badass looking beard back to the defense!

Back to top Go down
steelers5895
Banned

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 5:16 pm

hey Teeg, if you want to come on my talk radio show and talk steelers one Tuesday night (9pm est) private message me.
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 5:53 pm

One of the best if not the best article I've read from you T. TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   1647293567

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 10:49 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
hey t, imo this is the best article you've written yet!

Eric Weddle would be a HUGE upgrade over Will Allen, hopefully a Mike Mitchell type of deal gets him wearing the Black & Gold...

Thanks, brother. That means a lot coming from you.

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 10:50 pm

fer69 wrote:
One of the best if not the best article I've read from you T. TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   1647293567

Wow... thanks, Fer. I truly appreciate the kind words.

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 10:52 pm

teegre wrote:
great article Teegre!

Thanks, HAM.  

So... are you on the "sign Weddle" bandwagon?  Why or why not?  

Yes.  Sign him.

1.  Like Buddha and I discussed briefly in the other thread, he has the beard and the ability to stunt the growth of our young players.  Like him already!

2.  Like Hawaii said just above, he's an upgrade over Allen.  I have loved Allen and his contributions to this team.  I think he's still got some football left in him, but I think we need to fill this spot with somebody who can make our defense better.

3.  I don't give Ben many more years, and we need to make a move to instantly make this defense better.  We talk about pass protection and pass rushing, but we need to think of pass disruption too.

1. Obviously

2. So true. If Weddle has "anything" left, it'd be an upgrade over Allen.

3. Exactly

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 10:56 pm

pczach wrote:
Great read teeg.

I love how you remember the exact moment you heard the news about Rodney Harrison. We have all had those moments, good and bad, when you remember exactly how you felt at a specific moment of your life. Football has such an emotional component to it, and our love of the game has a way of making the emotions upon hearing the news of a player transaction feel like it has been branded into our consciousness. It can be recalled at any given moment with the right stimuli.

Very descriptive writing brother. You nailed the emotion of the moment. TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   184121345

It's crazy how vividly I remember the exact scenario.  There was a guy called Boston Rob on a local SD radio show, and all of the Chargers talking heads were congratulating him on the signing, and B-Rob was like "Who is Rodney Harrington???"  (He didn't even get the name correct.)  

His unimpressed reaction was like salt in a wound.  

Anyways... thanks, brother.

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 11:00 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Great read as always, Teeg! I'm excited at the prospect of upgrading the secondary through the free agency pick-up of Eric Weddle. We need a player who can come in and make a difference right now while the iron is hot. Weddle would fill that bill and allow more flexibility in the draft.

The Steelers could still draft a good young safety, but having Weddle would allow them to bring him along at a pace that wouldn't endanger the team's chances at another Super Bowl next season by relying on a rookie that may make more mistakes and take more time to learn the system.

We need immediate impact players added to this defense now before the Big Ben window closes. This sounds like our best option at taking a step towards that while also adding a badass looking beard back to the defense!

Yes, yes, yes.

I agree with this post 100%.

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyMon Feb 15, 2016 10:15 am

Another fun article to read.

As for the 31 year old Weddle, he would have to come cheap and hope to get 3 years out of him. There was all this rally cry of fans to release Polamalu when he was 31 because he was getting too old, yet the fanbase now pumps the tires of the bandwagon for the 34 year old Will Allen or 31 year old Weddle. Makes me think of the old adage "the most popular guy in town is the backup QB".

I say pass on Weddle and look to the draft.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 7:26 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Another fun article to read.

As for the 31 year old Weddle, he would have to come cheap and hope to get 3 years out of him.  There was all this rally cry of fans to release Polamalu when he was 31 because he was getting too old, yet the fanbase now pumps the tires of the bandwagon for the 34 year old Will Allen or 31 year old Weddle.  Makes me think of the old adage "the most popular guy in town is the backup QB".

I say pass on Weddle and look to the draft.  

I hear your concerns, especially because Troy went from All World to Jason Worilds in just two seasons.

But...

1. Weddle was injured. It wasn't a though his play had diminished.

2. At times, he was the only player trying. After the Steelers game, he mentioned this to the media... which the coaches did not appreciate.

3. Rumor has it that McCoy put Weddle on IR partially as a disciplinary measure.

SUMMATION:
While I understand why you'd be concerned, I personally see Weddle's situation more akin to Rodney Harrison's situation (and less like Troy's situation).

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   EmptyWed Feb 17, 2016 12:48 am

2016 NFL Free Agents: Top 90

9. Eric Weddle, S, Chargers. Age: 31

Eric Weddle is coming off his best season, as he was hindered with some injuries throughout the 2015 campaign. However, he's still one of the top safeties in the NFL. Weddle, who turned 31 on Jan. 4, should still be able to play on a high level for three or four more seasons, as safeties tend to perform well into their mid-30s.

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2016all.php#o0eWAiUD0OXcvrYX.99
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)    TPOP: Like Tears in Rain   (WEDDLE)   Empty

Back to top Go down

TPOP: Like Tears in Rain (WEDDLE)
Page 1 of 1