Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBREAKING: Heath Miller retires Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

BREAKING: Heath Miller retires

Go down 
+30
FrancoLambert
IowaSteeler927
kan_t
Bert Gordon
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
PhantomJB93
SteelCity4Life
vasteeler
SoCalFan
Fire Arians
SteelerSpartan
pczach
steelax04
harrison'samonster
Atlanta Dan
LambertWardSteel
SteelerFreak58
El-Gonzo Jackson
fer69
FanSince72
steelers5895
jak341
Vis
OX1947
Hawaii 5-0
stlrtruck
Buddha Bus
DesertSteel
Lokki
BlackAndGold
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

BREAKING: Heath Miller retires Empty
PostSubject: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:09 pm

@RapSheet
The #Steelers announced that TE Heath Miller, who played all 11 seasons in Pittsburgh, has retired.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/700758089507717121

shocking

Last edited by BlackAndGold on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:12 pm

HEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I didn't expect this for another year or two. Sad news. I know that Ben will miss him for sure.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:12 pm

Yeah........ Wow!

Quote :
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Tight end Heath Miller has retired from the Pittsburgh Steelers, the team announces. Was a stable starting tight end for a decade.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:13 pm

It's true.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Miller-retires-after-11-seasons/389127ea-7d00-4b89-a45d-3a66bb3c22c7

Well this sucks! Didn't see this happening this year. He was still productive and our best option. I guess we know now that a TE is a must early in this year's draft.

Good luck, Heath. Thank you for all you have contributed to the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL. You'll be sorely missed.

Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:14 pm

How does this change the draft??? Before, I think they could've passed on a good TE prospect in rounds 1-3 , but now I'm not so sure. I guess we'll find out how much the like Jesse James.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:15 pm

Maybe they'll take a look at Dwayne Allen in free agency?

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:16 pm

wow! Just Wow! I mean WOW! Like WOWSERS!!!!

Remarkable young man with great talent and a knack for being the all around great TE. He never received the honors other receiving only TEs got in the league but Heath did his job better than most.

Sad to see him go!

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION BREAKING: Heath Miller retires 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:18 pm

DesertSteel wrote:
How does this change the draft??? Before, I think they could've passed on a good TE prospect in rounds 1-3 , but now I'm not so sure. I guess we'll find out how much the like Jesse James.

I have to believe that they go TE very early now. Even if James turns out to be the new number 1, there's still some question if that will be the case. Regardless, we need more depth there now as Rob Branchflower was let go earlier in the week. No doubt they draft one in the first 3 rounds with this news now. I wish we had one more season to figure out if Jesse James is the answer before Heath left. Now they may be forced to assume he isn't.

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:21 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
It's true.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Miller-retires-after-11-seasons/389127ea-7d00-4b89-a45d-3a66bb3c22c7

Well this sucks! Didn't see this happening this year. He was still productive and our best option. I guess we know now that a TE is a must early in this year's draft.

Good luck, Heath. Thank you for all you have contributed to the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL. You'll be sorely missed.

yeah, that certainly changes all of the mock drafts out there:

1(25) Hunter Henry TE Arkansas
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:29 pm

Sounds like the Steelers knew this was going to happen since qoutes from Art Rooney, KC, Tomlin & Heath are coming up.

So it probably doesn't change their draft outlook since they it was coming.

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:37 pm

Wait what? Why?!!
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:43 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Everybody loved Heath. We will miss him. Not enough to come off a CB in the first round though.

jak341

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

I didn't see this one coming...at least this year. I don't think his production fell off enough that he would retire.

I thought Heath would want to stick around one more year and see if we can get one more ring.
Back to top Go down
steelers5895
Banned

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Free Agent TEs.  There are some under performers who we could get cheap.  

DeWayne Allen, Indianapolis Colts- too injury prone- will be pursued by many
Garrett Celek, San Francisco 49ers
Chase Coffman, Seattle Seahawks
Kellen Davis, New York Jets
Vernon Davis, Denver Broncos- experienced, tons of talent, will come at a bargain
Dorin Dickerson, Tennessee Titans
Rhett Ellison, Minnesota Vikings
Daniel Fells, New York Giants
Coby Fleener, Indianapolis Colts- underachiever, not a great blocker
Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers
Richard Gordon, Baltimore Ravens
Ladarius Green, San Diego Chargers- I like a lot but drops a bunch
James Hanna, Dallas Cowboys
Clay Harbor, Jacksonville Jaguars
Michael Hoomanawanui, New Orleans Saints
Rob Housler, Chicago Bears
Marcedes Lewis, Jacksonville Jaguars- this is who I want.  struggled with bad QBs his whole career.
Anthony McCoy, Seattle Seahawks
Zach Miller, Chicago Bears
Tony Moeaki, Atlanta Falcons
Bear Pascoe, Detroit Lions
Logan Paulsen, Washington Redskins
John Phillips, San Diego Chargers
Allen Reisner, Baltimore Ravens
Craig Stevens, Tennessee Titans
Benjamin Watson, New Orleans Saints
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 3:10 pm

Like everyone else I'm sad to see him go, but I'm really not that surprised.

I've noticed for the last couple of seasons - especially this past season - that Heath hasn't been himself.  In years past he'd catch a pass, take one or two big hits and then plow forward for a few more yards.  But lately he's been protecting himself more than sacrificing himself to the point where just catching the pass is good enough and the extra effort has been lacking.

I think he's listening to his body and it's telling him that it's more important to be walking upright twenty years from now than it is to continue to take the pounding and I think that's a smart move.

Jesse James seems very "Heath-like" in his overall play (he's had a great teacher) and I think he has the ability to take over where Heath left off.

I'll miss Heath and I'm sure Ben will too, but there's more to life than football and I'd rather see him move on now than to wait until his skills disappear or his body is destroyed.

It's been great having him though, I wish him well and thanks for the memories! BREAKING: Heath Miller retires 1647293567

Last edited by FanSince72 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Wow unbefuckinlievable Shocked I wonder if they'll take a look at Hunter Henry TE from Arkansas that dude can play

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 3:25 pm

Glad to watch him play his entire career here.

Think its a thin year for TE, so likely address in free agency and maybe still in the draft again in later rounds.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 3:25 pm

Stunned by the news thought one more year at least. 4 million in cap space opened up though. I am betting he was looking at his over all health with the Frontline episode and the movie coming out I am betting players are thinking more an more about life after football. Thank you Heath you were the epitome of what it means to be a Steeler.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 3:30 pm

BREAKING: Heath Miller retires 12705228_10154079733700809_2565331143786887356_n
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks for everything Heath. You were one of those Steelers like Lambert, Ward, Bettis... who epitomized what being a Steeler was.

This is shocking. I didn't really expect it but it's exactly the quiet class I'd expect him to retire with. I've been a big fan of Steeler TE's since the Cunnigham and Grossman days, hoping they can find a worthy replacement. I wonder if need and cap room now pushes them more towards a bigger free agency name in the secondary or TE so they can focus on drafting the other.

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 3:37 pm

FanSince72 wrote:
Like everyone else I'm sad to see him go, but I'm really not that surprised.

I've noticed for the last couple of seasons - especially this past season - that Heath hasn't been himself.  In years past he'd catch a pass, take one or two big hits and then plow forward for a few more yards.  But lately he's been protecting himself more than sacrificing himself to the point where just catching the pass is good enough and the extra effort has been lacking.

I think he's listening to his body and it's telling him that it's more important to be walking upright twenty years from now than it is to continue to take the pounding and I think that's a smart move.

Jesse James seems very "Heath-like" in his overall play (he's had a great teacher) and I think he has the ability to take over where Heath left off.

I'll miss Heath and I'm sure Ben will too, but there's more to life than football and I'd rather see him move on now than to wait until his skills disappear or his body is destroyed.

It's been great having him though, I wish him well and thanks for the memories! BREAKING: Heath Miller retires 1647293567

Agreed - one of my favorite Steelers from the second Super Bowl era - all he did was show up every week and take care of business for 11 seasons

But as you said, it was time - especially in the age of big play tight ends, Heath's role now consisted of making the catch and falling down - that was a problem in finishing drives in the red zone

Interesting that former Grantland/current ESPN writer Bill Barnwell had this observation yesterday when discussing what the Steelers should do about Timmons

Five moves each AFC North team should make

To reduce Timmons' cap hold, they'll have to give him a new deal -- probably a three-year contract to spread out what will be a comfortable signing bonus. It's the same thing the Steelers have done in the past, with Troy Polamalu and Heath Miller, and it ends poorly, with the Steelers paying a premium for a player who is a shell of his former self. That's arguably better than paying a reasonably talented inside linebacker as if he's the best defensive player in football, but it's not a solution, either.

3. Cut Cortez Allen, Shaun Suisham and Miller. If the Steelers designate Allen as a post-June 1 release, these three moves would combine to clear out just more than $10 million in cap space.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14786285/five-moves-bengals-browns-ravens-steelers-make-offseason-nfl
Back to top Go down
steelers5895
Banned

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 3:45 pm

how does him retiring help our cap? by how much?
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 4:14 pm

Wow. There's a Steeler for you. Thanks Heath for everything!

Xtreme Newb
steelax04

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 4:16 pm

steelers5895 wrote:
how does him retiring help our cap?  by how much?

Just found this... Looks like $4 million for 2016.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2016/2/19/11069420/the-impact-heath-millers-retirement-will-have-on-the-steelers-salary
Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 4:20 pm

Heath was the consummate pro. A quiet leader that has been a classy mainstay during a great run of success. He spent his entire career with the team he loved, and the fan base that loved him unconditionally.

He has set the standard of how to conduct yourself on and off the field, and the type of teammate everyone should strive to emulate.

Heath will be missed. He has always been one of my favorite players.

I wish him nothing but the best, and I thank him for how he conducted himself and the effort he always gave. He played the game the way you wish everyone would, and was a big reason for the success of this team.

Happy trails Heath!

BREAKING: Heath Miller retires Nfl_u_miller01_576

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING: Heath Miller retires   BREAKING: Heath Miller retires Empty

Back to top Go down

BREAKING: Heath Miller retires
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next