Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”

Go down 
+23
SteelersNorth
vasteeler
SteelersYak
Hawaii 5-0
fer69
JPPT1974
FanSince72
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
IowaSteeler927
EbonySteel86
marvology
Rhyno
solardave
El-Gonzo Jackson
harrison'samonster
Stryker
kirklandrules
Fire Arians
effyou515
dave n'at
Atlanta Dan
muncher
Wallace108
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” Empty
PostSubject: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Posted by Mike Florio

Following the 2011 season, the Steelers fired offensive coordinator Bruce Arians but tried to sell it as a retirement. Few non-Steelers fans were fooled.

In an upcoming profile to debut Tuesday night on HBO’s Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel, Arians opens up about the end of his time in Pittsburgh, which happened after his contract expired.

Arians explains to Andrea Kremer that he’d been told by coach Mike Tomlin a new contract was coming, with an adjustment aimed at reflecting the team’s performance on offense. A few days later, the call came.

“[Tomlin] said, ‘I can’t get you the money,’” Arians tells Kremer. I said, ‘Okay.’ He said, ‘No, I can’t get you a contract.’ I said, ‘Are you firing me?’ He said, ‘No. . . .’

“‘Well . . . it’s just a matter of words, Mike,'” Arian said. “‘Okay. If I don’t have a contract, I’m fired.’

“And he said, ‘I’m going to fly down and talk.’ [I] said, ‘Why waste the money and the time?’ And so that was it. Walked upstairs and told my wife. And I’ve never seen her cry. And she cried.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/17/bruce-arians-opens-up-about-his-steelers-retirement/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
muncher

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 3:01 pm

so much for tomlin saying he is the one who fired ariens
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 4:51 pm

I am amazed that a coach who has a head coaching playoff record of 1-2 has somehow become the Bill Walsh of the 21st century in some media circles

This is classic Arians

ANDREA KREMER: “Ultimately, what do you think cost you your job in Pittsburgh?”

BRUCE ARIANS: “The style of offense and my relationship with Ben.”

ANDREA KREMER: “Too close?”

BRUCE ARIANS: “They thought so. Some people thought so. And we didn’t run the ball enough.”

Partially correct in that Arians' relationship with Ben was indulging Ben's preference to hold on to the ball forever and shortening the franchise QB's career.  As for Arians getting canned because of the the "style" of the offense, what was wrong with the "style" was getting Ben clobbered with these league rankings in total yards and points in the years Arians was the Steelers OC

2007 17th 9th
2008 22nd 20th
2009 7th   12th
2010 14th 12th
2011 12th 21st

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/AriaBr0.htm

Pretty clear the offense was consistent only in its mediocrity. As evidenced by its best statistical year in 2009 being the year the Steelers missed the playoffs when Troy & Smith were hurt, the defense carried the team while Arians ran the offfense

As for the spouse, the P-G sums that up

Chris Arians’ comments makes Tomlin out to be the villain. That seems misguided. Tomlin very well might have gone to bat for Arians, but if the front office, or Art Rooney II in particular, wanted to make a change, Tomlin didn’t have a say in the matter.

Unless, of course, he offered to quit over it.

It appears that’s what Chris Arians wanted him to do.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Steelers-Blog/2016/06/17/Bruce-Arians-wife-rips-Mike-Tomlin/stories/201606170196

Arians refusing to STFU about getting canned reinforces my belief that he properly was terminated

Anyone who thinks the Steelers offense and/or Ben's level of play has declined since Arians was fired feel free to argue firing Arians was a mistake
Back to top Go down
dave n'at
Banned
dave n'at

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 6:58 pm

If he didn't want shitcanned he should've ran a better offense. Hell, he lasted 5 years even as the epitome of mediocrity and the focus of the ire of the fanbase. He's alright as a head coach but I'll take Haley or Whiz over Arians any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Steelers had a shitty o-line in those days yet Arians still wanted to block 6 rushers with 5 o-line man. Arians was getting Ben killed if young Ben wasn't as big and strong then he'd be out of the NFL by now.

bubble screen Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 8:21 pm

<--------
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptySat Jun 18, 2016 7:02 am

Arians wasn't fired. When you work under a contract, you have to understand that when that contract is up, you're a free agent in a free market environment. If there's available resources at the right price that ownership feels can produce better than what you demonstrated in the past few years, you will not get a new contract ... unless there's an irrational love fest for you personally ... which apparently wasn't the case for Arians. Although it appears that Tomlin pushed to get Arians back, the FO was done with him. Hell, how many times did they tell him he needed to get better at the run game to help protect their franchise QB? And how many years did he fail to get the offense to run the ball more effectively? How many times did they tell Arians he needed to protect Ben? How many years was Ben near the top of the most sacked QBs? His track record and philosophy showed no progress.

As Dan does a good job pointing out above, Arians could only get to a mediocre level with the Steelers. It seemed to me that a good part of the success of the Steelers offense came from Ben extending plays and getting huge gains. They struggled to convert 3rd and shorts, but would score a 50 yard TD on 1st down that Ben held the ball for 10 seconds and scrambled 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage. At that point, it's not the offensive coordinator. It's the player. And I always had the feeling that the Steelers won because Ben was a winner, despite what Arians' play calling attempted to accomplish.

Ben wasn't a disciplined player or person in those days. The temper he threw when Haley was hired was an embarrassment to him and the Steelers. To Haley's credit he found the right balance that Ben ultimately understood he wasn't going to have to knuckle under his OC and yet he still needed to follow a new system. I credit Heath for helping in that process. He went on record to say that Haley allowed the players to have an expanded level of input into the new system the Steelers would use on offense. Heath basically said that Haley allowed them to help create the playbook, but then expected them to stick to it (meaning, run the plays more than just freelance). Who was Ben's roommate? Heath. Bet there were plenty of chats after lights out about giving Haley a chance, etc.

Ben has not just grown, but thrived under Haley. Professionally and personally. Gone are the Arians days when Ben impersonated Fredo by banging Vegas cocktail waitresses two at a time. Gone are the days that the ground game was an afterthought and the passing game was nothing more than the OC sitting on the sideline watching his QB either launch a bomb or get crushed. In marched a new era of a wife and pictures of babies.  I hear his attorney sold his yacht now that Ben isn't making the monthly payments for him. We now have an offensive game plan that leaves most Steelers fans surprised when they don't convert in short yardage. A QB throwing for career yardage and taking less sacks.  Under BA, the success of the team was the result of the defense. Under Haley, the offense leads this team. Imagine what the Steelers would look like if BA were running this offense as the Steelers defense went into rebuild mode. I guarantee Tomlin would have more than one losing season on his resume.

I believe Arians should have been fired before his contract expired. The FO was nothing but fair to him to allow him the opportunity to turn things around during the tenure of his contract. But the offense hit a plateau under his leadership and it was time for a change. He wasn't fired, he was replaced with an upgrade.

I don't hate Arians and am happy for him as he has succeeded elsewhere. And I do give him credit for the Steelers winning a SB with him as OC. But this BS about crying and his wife crying and continuing to bitch about it after all these years. It's unbecoming. Man up and say thanks to Tomlin and the Steelers for giving you the chance to make a name for yourself ... something you obviously were able to take to another level elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Stryker

Stryker

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptySun Jun 19, 2016 2:33 pm

I don't even understand why Arians wants to keep bringing up his Steelers past. Move on already. Obviously he moved on to "greater" things as the head coach of the Cardinals and has been successful with them. It doesn't make sense to be bitter about it.

"It was time to go to the mattresses if you will" - Mike Tomlin

The worst tragedy in the world is running out of a pack of Luckies
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptySun Jun 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Stryker wrote:
I don't even understand why Arians wants to keep bringing up his Steelers past. Move on already. Obviously he moved on to "greater" things as the head coach of the Cardinals and has been successful with them. It doesn't make sense to be bitter about it.

Arians believes he is and was a super-genius and the Steelers got rid of him because he didn't run the ball enough and he was too close to Ben (instead of poor coaching and playcalling).  

He is demented enough to believe that his record after leaving the Steelers proves that he has been vindicated from this perceived slight and just assumes everybody within earshot lives in the same crazy-land.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 12:02 am

Every season since that "retirement" has been nothing but enjoyable for me as a long time Steeler fan. The view going forward is so much better than looking in the past.

I no longer have to see Carey Davis taking up space on the field, Ben getting sacked 55 times a year. I get to watch one of the top RB's in the NFL and Rosevelt Nix does the job John Kuhn could have.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 3:22 am

Move on BA The only way this can benefit you is if we end up playing you guys in the SB. You can play the "Victim" at that time. The David (playing Goliath scenario)but the fact is we would still whip your ass so it would be short lived. You weren't the right guy in Pittsburgh. Get over it and enjoy what you have fans. Fans that appreciate the "legend in your own mind" guy that you are.
Back to top Go down
Rhyno

Rhyno

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 10:00 am

I really thought Landry Jones shut his ass up back on Oct. 18, 2015.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 6:24 pm

Steelers Post-Gazette beat reporter Ray Fittapaldo shares my view Bruce needs to move on

What are your thoughts on Arians and some of his recent comments?

Ray Fittipaldo: He and his wife ought to just let it go. How many times are you going to grant interviews on the subject. I mean, I know the story wasn't all about the Steelers, but more than half of it was. What's so odd about a coach being told to make a change on his staff. It happens all the time. The weird thing is Arians has enjoyed his most success since leaving here. Not sure why he wants to talk about it so much, or why for that matter HBO and/or the NFL Network find it so interesting.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/06/20/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-6-20-16/stories/201606200105

Back to top Go down
muncher

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 10:25 pm

i think the bitterness lies with the way tomlin F'ed up the situation.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyTue Jun 21, 2016 11:32 am

Pro Football Talk - Mike Florio wrote:
Cardinals T-shirts currently carry the words “trust,” “loyalty,” and “respect.” Said Arians at one point to Kremer: “Yeah, well, those are words that I don’t think are on the Steelers’ jerseys.”

Read the rest of the story here.

I think the Steelers jerseys say something like "Our QB is sacked a lot less now".

He's a guy who doesn't understand that the Steelers chose to go in another direction and have benefited from that decision. He's coming across like a real d-bag and should just STFU already.
Back to top Go down
marvology
Xtreme Newb
marvology

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyTue Jun 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Arians was getting Ben killed for stats. That simple.

http://www.marvbook.com
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyTue Jun 21, 2016 7:45 pm

Hiring Haley and drafting Bell is probably the 2 smartest things Tomlin has done since he's been coach.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyTue Jun 21, 2016 9:11 pm

Any respect I had left for him is gone. All those flavors, and he still chooses to be salty...

Hey Brucey, how'd you fare against us last year? Oh, that's right. Landry Fucking Jones finished you off in your glorious chance at revenge. Just think if we'd of had Ben. Your ass would still be sore from that spanking.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyTue Jun 21, 2016 9:40 pm

I could understand him being a little bitter if he hadn't found a new job and success since then but he's done very well for himself since then. It was teh right decision to let Bruce go. I didn't think he was as horrible as some fans said he was but it's obvious that Haley has done wonders for Ben and the team and as someone who knows the Haley family a little, I couldn't be happier for Todd. I am glad to see Bruce find success in Arizona but Bruce needs to let this the hell go.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyThu Jun 23, 2016 7:59 am

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
I could understand him being a little bitter if he hadn't found a new job and success since then but he's done very well for himself since then. It was teh right decision to let Bruce go. I didn't think he was as horrible as some fans said he was but it's obvious that Haley has done wonders for Ben and the team and as someone who knows the Haley family a little, I couldn't be happier for Todd. I am glad to see Bruce find success in Arizona but Bruce needs to let this the hell go.

I'm glad that ego is gone. Todd Haley, for all the knocks he got after his tenure in Kansas City is a damn good Offensive Coordinator. Conversely, Bruce Arians seems to be a better Head Coach than an OC, even though his arrogance, and grudge-holding are quite obnoxious.

The Steelers apparently came right out and said it was Tomlin's decision. If that is the case, then Tomlin should be given credit for having the cajones to fire someone who had close ties with the team (and certain players), and whose past successes included a Super Bowl victory. Making that kind of decision isn't one to be made lightly, Tomlin made a business decision, and ultimately I think we'll have guys like Ben around longer, and healthier because he's not playing backyard football as much anymore. Hiring Todd Haley was one of the best things they've done. They brought in a guy that's put together the most prolific offense this franchise has ever seen, they brought in guys like Munchak, and Joey Porter to give excellent veteran leadership and coaching to this young team. It's scary honestly to think just how good this team can be when they're firing on every cylinder. Bruce Arians... Good riddance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyThu Jun 23, 2016 9:10 am

I believe it was Tomlin's decision. A decision the Rooneys probably helped him rationalize. I'm sure they reminded him that the run game hadn't improved after several years of ownership openly expressing that they needed to improve it. And they probably reminded him that Ben was still one of the most sacked QBs after years of ownership openly expressing that they needed to improve in that area as well. Really, I think they were placing Tomlin on the hot seat if he was going to stick with BA and his failure to make adjustments to the offense.
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyThu Jun 23, 2016 11:23 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
I am amazed that a coach who has a head coaching playoff record of 1-2 has somehow become the Bill Walsh of the 21st century in some media circles

This is classic Arians

ANDREA KREMER: “Ultimately, what do you think cost you your job in Pittsburgh?”

BRUCE ARIANS: “The style of offense and my relationship with Ben.”

ANDREA KREMER: “Too close?”

BRUCE ARIANS: “They thought so. Some people thought so. And we didn’t run the ball enough.”

Partially correct in that Arians' relationship with Ben was indulging Ben's preference to hold on to the ball forever and shortening the franchise QB's career.  As for Arians getting canned because of the the "style" of the offense, what was wrong with the "style" was getting Ben clobbered with these league rankings in total yards and points in the years Arians was the Steelers OC

2007 17th 9th
2008 22nd 20th
2009 7th   12th
2010 14th 12th
2011 12th 21st

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/AriaBr0.htm

Pretty clear the offense was consistent only in its mediocrity. As evidenced by its best statistical year in 2009 being the year the Steelers missed the playoffs when Troy & Smith were hurt, the defense carried the team while Arians ran the offfense

As for the spouse, the P-G sums that up

Chris Arians’ comments makes Tomlin out to be the villain. That seems misguided. Tomlin very well might have gone to bat for Arians, but if the front office, or Art Rooney II in particular, wanted to make a change, Tomlin didn’t have a say in the matter.

Unless, of course, he offered to quit over it.

It appears that’s what Chris Arians wanted him to do.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Steelers-Blog/2016/06/17/Bruce-Arians-wife-rips-Mike-Tomlin/stories/201606170196

Arians refusing to STFU about getting canned reinforces my belief that he properly was terminated

Anyone who thinks the Steelers offense and/or Ben's level of play has declined since Arians was fired feel free to argue firing Arians was a mistake

And once again may I point out that under Arians we had five straight winning seasons and went to two SB's and we won one of them.

With all of the offense we've developed since Arians left (which took three years to organize) what have we actually done in terms of success?

Yes we may have better "stats" but stats don't win SB's.

Arian's style may not be for everyone, but we were winning consistently when he was here.
And the defense may indeed have had a part in that, but the points come from the offense and back then we usually managed to have more of those than the other teams we played and that's the only 'stat' that matters.

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyThu Jun 23, 2016 11:58 am

FanSince72 wrote:

Arian's style may not be for everyone, but we were winning consistently when he was here.
And the defense may indeed have had a part in that

Nice of you to concede the defense "may indeed have had a part" in winning while Arians was OC  Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” 1664291743

NFL ranking of defense from 2007 to 2012 in total points and total yards allowed

2007 2nd  1st
2008 1st   1st
2009 12th 7th
2010 1st   2nd
2011 1st   1st

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

The one year the defense slumped in 2009 was the one year during the Age of Arians that the Steelers missed the playoffs - would have been nice if the superior intellect of BA would have picked up the slack but I guess the lack of trust, loyalty and respect that are constantly cited by everyone to be the defining characteristics of the Steelers organization was too much for even a head coach with a lifetime playoff record of 1-2 to overcome

I am glad Arians cannot let it go and took the shots at the integrity of the Steelers organization in the HBO story - it confirms my opinion of him
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyThu Jun 23, 2016 1:30 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
FanSince72 wrote:

Nice of you to concede the defense "may indeed have had a part" in winning while Arians was OC  Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” 1664291743

Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” 3562723908 So true. Like the '85 Bears defense "may indeed have had a part" in them winning a Super Bowl. Or the 2002 Buccaneers defense "may indeed have had a part" in winning a Super Bowl.

Sure, we can all reference other cases where Mike Martz won the Rams a title, or Norv Turner won the Cowboys a ring and Kevin Gilbride won the Giants a Super Bowl....because we all know the most important guy on the team is the OC. Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” 1505004552
Back to top Go down
FanSince72

FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” EmptyThu Jun 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
FanSince72 wrote:

NFL ranking of defense from 2007 to 2012 in total points and total yards allowed

2007 2nd  1st
2008 1st   1st
2009 12th 7th
2010 1st   2nd
2011 1st   1st

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

The one year the defense slumped in 2009 was the one year during the Age of Arians that the Steelers missed the playoffs - would have been nice if the superior intellect of BA would have picked up the slack but I guess the lack of trust, loyalty and respect that are constantly cited by everyone to be the defining characteristics of the Steelers organization was too much for even a head coach with a lifetime playoff record of 1-2 to overcome

I am glad Arians cannot let it go and took the shots at the integrity of the Steelers organization in the HBO story - it confirms my opinion of him

You have your reality.

I have mine.

I don't think there was a whole lot of integrity demonstrated by the Steelers in the way in which they dumped Arians.
The whole thing seemed rather lowbrow if you ask me, so I'm not surprised that Arians took some shots.

That said, there's no question that the offense is better now and while Haley deserves some credit for that, the fact that Ben and Tomlin have both matured as player and coach respectively has something to do with that as well.  And then of course there's the rather stellar group of talent at the skill positions we now enjoy which doesn't hurt either (the depth and stability of which didn't exist back when BA was running things).

I enjoy watching our offense now, but I enjoyed watching it under Arians as well.
I really don't think of one as being better than the other - just different.

As for Arians the man, I think he's a good guy, many players seem to love playing for him and many past and present players have nothing but good things to say about him.

All things considered, I can't understand why people need to hate him so much.

But I don't "Do" hate, so maybe that's why.  Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” 2087824411

PostSubject: Re: Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”   Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement” Empty

Back to top Go down

Bruce Arians opens up about his Steelers “retirement”
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next