Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMy thoughts on what has to change Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

My thoughts on what has to change

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

My thoughts on what has to change Empty
PostSubject: My thoughts on what has to change   My thoughts on what has to change EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 5:56 am

1. Highest priority: change our defensive coaching staff. Butler, Porter and Lake all need to go. Allowing 38 points to the Jaguars is a disgrace, certainly in a play-off game. Butler can't make any adjustments, Porter and Lake can't develop players. Porter is partially to blame for the Harrison debacle too.

2. High priority: fire Todd Haley. He has done some good things and he did a great job in protecting Ben (also thanks to Mike Munchak), but his playcalling and game preparing is below average to say the least. Only from yesterday's game: no running up the middle (Jaguars' weakness), bubble screens all around (like in all other games they failed) and his 4th and 1 calls. Did he ever hear what a QB sneak is? No, let's pitch the ball back for 6 yards My thoughts on what has to change 2913999526

3. High priority: address the distractions players and coaches bring to the team. Since last year's play-offs, off the top of my head: AB's live video from the locker room after the win against the Chiefs in the play-offs, Ben speaking about retiring, Bell's rap video saying he wants to get paid, Bell holding out, Ben and MB going back and forth in the media, MB demanding for a trade, Harrison's remarks he's unhappy with his number of snaps, Tomlin addressing New England, Mitchell tweeting about the AFCCG against New England, Bell's threat to sit out next season if they franchise tag him again, Bell's tweet that they're going to beat the Jaguars and so on... It's simply too much. Just STFU and focus on your job!

4. Priority: Search a new head coach. Don't get me wrong, I think Tomlin is a good coach and he'll be succesful with a new team, but he has his limits. Like pointed out above he can't control his locker room and he's too obsessed on playing the better teams that's he doesn't prepare enough for lesser opponents. They need to take their time to find his successor though so he doesn't need to go immediately. It also won't be easy to find a better coach. But it would be good to have a new one when trying to get our next franchise QB.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts on what has to change   My thoughts on what has to change EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 6:19 am

Agree with the first three. I think it's high time for changes offensively, and defensively. Something has got to give. The defense was abysmal today, they were as stout as a wet paper towel. Not having Shazzy is no excuse for how poorly they played as an entire unit. I couldn't be more disappointed in their performance (or lack thereof). They managed to make Bortles look like a franchise QB, and they couldn't contain Fournette despite the fact that Jags are a one-dimensional football team that relies on their running game for offensive success. Butler seems to have no understanding of when to play man coverage, and when to play zone and his defense has consistently made mental mistakes resulting in broken coverages time and time again this season. The offense has been forced to carry this team and yet they still need to make meaningful changes. Todd Haley's situational playcalling has been awful. You have a monstrous QB and a stout offensive line with 3 pro bowlers on it... So on 4th and 1 instead of running QB sneaks we run stretch running plays? Against a defense noteworthy for their speed and aggressiveness, against a defense that was stacking the box and daring us to throw the ball, we continuously tried to run screens and stretch plays that weren't working. I wish Haley would learn that Bell doesn't have the speed to consistently hit the edge, yes he'll make a play here or there but his strength is definitely not his speed. If it doesn't work, try something else.

Too early to get rid of Tomlin but he needs to step up and admit that he needs to be better with his decision making in critical situations. That onside kick attempt was beyond stupid, I don't care if the defense wasn't getting stops an onside kick recovery is highly, highly unlikely, and I'd still rather take my chances with the defense rather than giving the opponent excellent field position which ultimately ended up giving them a FG and the three points that were the difference in the game. The poor decisions have got to stop. Tomlin also needs to step up and control his locker room. I'm am beyond sick of hearing all the garbage and distractions because our players can't keep their mouths shut and act like professionals. This team needs to focus on the opponent they're facing on a given week and stop looking ahead.

Last edited by IowaSteeler927 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts on what has to change   My thoughts on what has to change EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 6:22 am

Stella Nation wrote:
1. Highest priority: change our defensive coaching staff. Butler, Porter and Lake all need to go. Allowing 38 points to the Jaguars is a disgrace, certainly in a play-off game. Butler can't make any adjustments, Porter and Lake can't develop players. Porter is partially to blame for the Harrison debacle too.I agree. Butler game plans for 4 quarters at a time it seems.Way to many close games this year that did not need to be that way. Porter is along for the ride. I.E. Bud Dupree hasn't developed in 3 years. He has the talent but no one to coach him up. The secondary continues to be out of sink and that can only be Lake's inability to show the DBs proper technique both in tackling and coverage skills.

2. High priority: fire Todd Haley. He has done some good things and he did a great job in protecting Ben (also thanks to Mike Munchak), but his playcalling and game preparing is below average to say the least. Only from yesterday's game: no running up the middle (Jaguars' weakness), bubble screens all around (like in all other games they failed) and his 4th and 1 calls. Did he ever hear what a QB sneak is? No, let's pitch the ball back for 6 yards My thoughts on what has to change 2913999526 I agree Haley has to go but on both bubble screens I saw Ben look at his wrist band. Not sure they were on Haley. However knowing Bell is not fast enough to run around the edge,especially from 4 yards deep is just plain stupid. His contract is up and I seriously doubt he'll be back.

3. High priority: address the distractions players and coaches bring to the team. Since last year's play-offs, off the top of my head: AB's live video from the locker room after the win against the Chiefs in the play-offs, Ben speaking about retiring, Bell's rap video saying he wants to get paid, Bell holding out, Ben and MB going back and forth in the media, MB demanding for a trade, Harrison's remarks he's unhappy with his number of snaps, Tomlin addressing New England, Mitchell tweeting about the AFCCG against New England, Bell's threat to sit out next season if they franchise tag him again, Bell's tweet that they're going to beat the Jaguars and so on... It's simply too much. Just STFU and focus on your job! You nailed it here and this is entirely on Tomlin for not reigning these guys in. Oh wait,he was participating.

4. Priority: Search a new head coach. Don't get me wrong, I think Tomlin is a good coach and he'll be succesful with a new team, but he has his limits. Like pointed out above he can't control his locker room and he's too obsessed on playing the better teams that's he doesn't prepare enough for lesser opponents. They need to take their time to find his successor though so he doesn't need to go immediately. It also won't be easy to find a better coach. But it would be good to have a new one when trying to get our next franchise QB.
I agree if he can't set an example by keeping these guys focused on the task at hand then he needs to go. The biggest knock I have on Tomlin is how we lost games we should have won because we either over looked them or thought it was a gimme game. All this chatter is unprofessional and a serious disruption. Convince Cowher to come back. Pay him Gruden money.There's no cap on that,right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts on what has to change   My thoughts on what has to change Empty

Back to top Go down

My thoughts on what has to change
Page 1 of 1