Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSome thoughts on Big Ben Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Some thoughts on Big Ben

Go down 
+4
Bays
Wallace108
stlrtruck
Gingerchip
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Some thoughts on Big Ben Empty
PostSubject: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:35 pm

The last few days I've watched some vintage Steeler films. Most notably Superbowl 40 and 43. The 2008 NFL film on the Steelers road to the superbowl is awesome, btw.

The thing that struck me was that BB did play a leadership role, at least from what I observed. I'll admit, I've been hard on him the past few years and he was never one of my favorites. Even after this season, I complained about him. Maybe he is somewhat of a prima donna (aren't most QB's?). But honestly, after watching quite a number of films, I can't help but wonder if he was stifled this year. He is a gunslinger, and that's the point. That is who he is. That is how he plays best.

With Rooney wanting to return to the run, and Haley changing the offensive scheme, I think it may have hampered what Ben does best. I realize a lot of it was for his own good, as his way of play got him hurt and sacked more times than I can say. But again, that is the way Ben plays and according to his interview in the Steelers 2008 film, he has always played that way -- even in college (it shows a clip of him playing in college, and you just know it's him only in a different uniform).

My point is that BB plays the way he plays -- which in my opinion sets him apart from all of the other QBs in the league. He doesn't wear a Brady skirt, he plays like a Steeler -- tough.

I'm not posting this to put Ben on a pedestal, not at all. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised by my own words considering my personal dislike for him (in the past). I'm just trying to look at the situation objectively and give BB some credit. So he had an off year - we'll see how he does next year.

What say you Steeler Extremers?

Some thoughts on Big Ben We_bel10
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 9:15 pm

I don't think that Ben needed to change the way he plays the game, Ben needs to change the way he approaches the game plan. His job as a QB and leader of the team is to follow the game plan and assist in in game changes as necessary. It doesn't mean he needs to change how he plays the game.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Some thoughts on Big Ben 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:17 am

Quote :
Boomer Esiason unloads on Roethlisberger

Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

Former Super Bowl quarterback and current CBS NFL analyst Boomer Esiason, unprovoked, tore into Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Friday afternoon while being interviewed by Vinnie Richichi on the Vinnie and Cook Show on 93.7 The Fan.

Esiason said things like Roethlisberger “has to be a man” and questioned the possible life-threatening picture Roethlisberger painted with his rib injury that kept him out of three games earlier in the season.

Esiason said that people around the league were rolling their eyes when Roethlisberger divulged that his aorta was danger and thus his life because of a broken rib he suffered against the Chiefs.

“I am telling you that everybody across the NFL rolled their eyes like what is he, a drama queen or something?” Esiason said. “Everybody gets hurt, everybody is out there trying to do their best. You have Troy Polamalu who is hurt, you have James Harrison coming back from a knee injury. Everybody has something to deal with. While I am sure they have a great admiration and respect for Ben on Sundays because he is a heck of a football player, all the other little things that come along with him, I am sure probably upset some of those guys and they roll their eyes.”

Esiason, who has rarely if ever been in the Steelers locker room either during the season or after games, said that Roethlisberger has to be a better leader.

“Guys like Big Ben have to be the leader,” Esiason said. “He has to be a man. He has to stand up and be a man from Monday to Sunday not just on Sunday. Monday to Sunday.
That’s what Tom Brady, that’s what Peyton Manning, that’s what Aaron Rodgers, that’s what Drew Brees — those four, in my estimation, are the four best quarterbacks in football. You look at them each and every week and they give you a performance that you can win with and they set the bar of expectation. It is not somebody else.”

Esiason continued.

“Ben has got two Super Bowl rings, he can do it, he is the guy who has to do it by, first and foremost, the example that he sets in the weight room, the meeting room, on the practice field and of course on Sunday,” he said.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/12/28/boomer-esiason-unloads-on-roethlisberger/
I don't agree with everything Esiason said about Ben, but I definitely agree that he needs to be a better leader. As Boomer said ... not just on Sundays.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:23 am

LOL. Boomer trying to talk about leadership. His 2-14 seasons and lack of Super Bowl rings aren't convincing me to buy into anything he has to say.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:41 am

bayz101 wrote:
LOL. Boomer trying to talk about leadership. His 2-14 seasons and lack of Super Bowl rings aren't convincing me to buy into anything he has to say.
I don't care too much for him as an analyst, but he was a damn good quarterback. He almost led the Bungles to a Super Bowl win over the buzzsaw that was the 49ers.

Not only is Boomer qualified to speak as a quarterback, he also has some experience with openly feuding with a coach ..

Quote :
During the 1987 strike-shortened season, quarterback Boomer Esiason and head coach Sam Wyche had openly feuded, and the team finished with a miserable 4-11 record. A lot of Bengals fans would have been happy to see them both leave the team, but they worked out their differences in the off-season and Esiason ended up having the best season of his career en route to Super Bowl XXIII

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXIII

If there's a problem between the quarterback and a coach, it usually doesn't bode well for the team.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 7:26 am

bayz101 wrote:

Now wait a minute, he did have some 4-12 seasons I'm pretty sure. Some thoughts on Big Ben 3562723908
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:30 pm

Because Pittsburgh is such a die hard Steeler town, there is a lot of "what have you done for me lately" and "short-term memory" mentality. A lot of people think you are only as good as your last play, and what is going to stick in their memories, until it is replaced with a new one (hopefully better), is Ben's pick six and final interception of the Bengals game, taking us out of the playoffs this year.

I for one KNOW that BB is an incredible, once in a generation type of QB who makes magic happen on the field. We have all seen it at one time or another. So he had a bad year, it happens. With the coaching change, and all of the injuries, it's surprising we were even a 500 team.

What he DOES need to change is his attitude towards his coaches and players. Accept leadership and play to the best of your abilities, and then LEAD.

solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Wanna know what I think Ben needs? Well, I'll tell you anyway because I'm a member here Some thoughts on Big Ben 3798349058 Competition. I believe it's time to raise the bar. I'm pretty sure Haley will be gone and whoever takes over needs to either draft a QB (not in the first round I'm not crazy), but someone capable of starting elsewhere in the very near future. Ben has never had to compete for his job as a Steeler.We say he's a fierce competitor so I wonder how he'd do competing for his own job.It could be just what he need.
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 9:06 pm

I have to agree with you dave.

I've been saying for the past year that we need to start looking at QBs. Not only for Ben to have competition, but because we ned a seriously good, young backup to groom for the future.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 11:59 pm

wouldn't mind the Steelers drafting Landry Jones in the 2nd or 3rd round or in the 5th or 6th round draft Sean Renfree.

both are 6' 4" and 225lbs strong arms can make all the throws.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 5:38 am

effyou515 wrote:
wouldn't mind the Steelers drafting Landry Jones in the 2nd or 3rd round or in the 5th or 6th round draft Sean Renfree.

both are 6' 4" and 225lbs strong arms can make all the throws.

That would work well. I think Russell Wilson is proof that you don't need to draft a QB in the first to get a potential starter.
Back to top Go down
Gotassman
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 8:14 am

Just how happy do u think a good, young QB is going to be sitting on the bench for the next 5 years. QBs want to play in games. Not sit on their keesters.

How much do you think the team is willing to pay a 3rd round QB to sit on his keester for the next 5 years.

There are decent has-been QBs out there that will play for the minimum and sit on their butts.....thanks for the paycheque.

Why does Big Ben need to be a leader. leader of what. He doesn't need to lead anybody.....that isn't going to win games. This whole leadership thing is wayyyyyyy over-rated. He needs to play as an excellent QB that he is. His receivers have to catch his throws. The running backs need to get the yardage. The OC needs to call an effective, intelligent game that takes full advantage of the opposing teams weaknesses.

Ben needs to have excellent QB skills (which he does). You can be a leader all you want. That isn't going to win a single game.

Steelers a very fortunate to have a QB like Ben on their team. Compare him to other QBs (like Fitz of Buffalo) and when you go to bed at nite, look up at the heavens and repeat.....thank you, thank you, thank you.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 8:37 am

Gotassman wrote:
Just how happy do u think a good, young QB is going to be sitting on the bench for the next 5 years. QBs want to play in games. Not sit on their keesters.

How much do you think the team is willing to pay a 3rd round QB to sit on his keester for the next 5 years.

There are decent has-been QBs out there that will play for the minimum and sit on their butts.....thanks for the paycheque.

Why does Big Ben need to be a leader. leader of what. He doesn't need to lead anybody.....that isn't going to win games. This whole leadership thing is wayyyyyyy over-rated. He needs to play as an excellent QB that he is. His receivers have to catch his throws. The running backs need to get the yardage. The OC needs to call an effective, intelligent game that takes full advantage of the opposing teams weaknesses.

Ben needs to have excellent QB skills (which he does). You can be a leader all you want. That isn't going to win a single game.

Steelers a very fortunate to have a QB like Ben on their team. Compare him to other QBs (like Fitz of Buffalo) and when you go to bed at nite, look up at the heavens and repeat.....thank you, thank you, thank you.

I don't agree. First of all why would you use Fitzpatrick as an example? Why not compare him to Sanchez? If Ben is an excellent (and I'm not saying he isn't) QB let's compare him to other franchise QB's. How about Rogers or Peyton Manning,Drew Brees? If you agree your QB is the most important player on offense then he has to lead by example. You can't get on your WR's to catch the ball when you're throwing to the wrong team. He also knows right now and for several years he's all we have,period. I say bring in someone capable of starting early on. And as far as sitting the bench Rogers did it behind Favre for a number of years Ben needs someone breathing down his neck in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 10:21 am

Gotassman wrote:

I don't think we should be looking for just a backup. I'm now in the camp that believes we need to start looking for Ben's replacement. And it's not just a knee-jerk reaction to a poor finish to this season. Ben will be turning 31 and entering his 10th year in the league. If we start looking for a replacement now and he sits and learns for a couple years, that would put Ben at 12 years in the league. And if we get a guy who is a phenom as a rookie, and it makes Ben expendable, much like what happened with Maddox, then so be it.

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 8:25 pm

Gotassman wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. Leadership is one of the driving, motivating factors of the NFL. It is the intangibles that win ball games, the HEART that everyone talks about. No one is going to rally around someone out there just doing their job for a paycheck, they play to their upmost ability when pushed to do so. THAT is when greatness happens. And I've seen Ben do that on the field. Just not all the time, and maybe not as much as he needed to in the locker room.

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 pm

Quote :
Roethlisberger’s deep ball in decline

By Alan Robinson

The Steelers are assured of going at least three years between playoff victories, yet they already know what they must do to win their next postseason game.

Getting Ben Roethlisberger back to performing late in the season like he did during their Super Bowl run in the 2010 season is a priority, especially while throwing the deep ball.

It‘s the one element of Roethlisberger‘s all-around game that has slipped the most statistically since the Steelers defeated the Jets in the 2010 season AFC Championship.

There were concerns that offensive coordinator Todd Haley‘s controlled passing offense might take away from Roethlisberger‘s downfield throwing, but statistics show the now 30-year-old quarterback‘s deep-ball decline began last season under Bruce Arians.

Roethlisberger‘s deep throwing — and his ability to deliver winning performances in key late-season games — slipped precipitously during the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

When the Steelers went 14-5 in 2010, counting the playoffs, Roethlisberger was the seventh-best deep passer in the NFL, completing 22 of 54 throws that traveled 20 yards or longer. Factoring in drops by his receivers, he operated at nearly 50 percent efficiency on such passes.

But he fell to No. 26 in 2011, hitting only 21 of 68 passes with five interceptions. He slipped even further this season to No. 30, completing only 11 of 47 deep throws.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3228681-74/roethlisberger-season-yds#ixzz2GsxbS19r

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 3:45 am

lets trade up in the draft draft a QB that really fits Haley's offense and trade Big Ben to the Jets for some draft choices. Some thoughts on Big Ben 124247948 if you don't like that ideal then Some thoughts on Big Ben 929792854 and you can kiss my Some thoughts on Big Ben 2940960278

because you Some thoughts on Big Ben 1047499260 nancy boys Some thoughts on Big Ben 3517405000 wouldn't know a good ideal slapped you in the face.

Some thoughts on Big Ben 3029611895 Some thoughts on Big Ben 2800024739 Some thoughts on Big Ben 1072540953

Some thoughts on Big Ben 2685281973 Some thoughts on Big Ben 183388472 Some thoughts on Big Ben 2899430319 Some thoughts on Big Ben 941308610 Some thoughts on Big Ben 1890901109 Some thoughts on Big Ben 1841364231
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 10:22 am

Holy smilies!

Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 10:36 am

Quote :
I couldn't disagree more. Leadership is one of the driving, motivating factors of the NFL. It is the intangibles that win ball games, the HEART that everyone talks about. No one is going to rally around someone out there just doing their job for a paycheck, they play to their upmost ability when pushed to do so. THAT is when greatness happens. And I've seen Ben do that on the field. Just not all the time, and maybe not as much as he needed to in the locker room

Well said!

Attitude determines Altitude for sure. Look at the Jets -- all that locker room cancer growth and that group can't get it together for the life of them. Leadership is important not only in sports, but if you think about it, it plays a vital role in a lot of aspects of life.

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 10:42 am

The Jets are a perfect example.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on Big Ben   Some thoughts on Big Ben Empty

Back to top Go down

Some thoughts on Big Ben
Page 1 of 1