Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeLions vs Steelers Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Lions vs Steelers

Go down 
+2
solardave
effyou515
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptyFri Aug 26, 2022 7:52 pm

No change in Steelers' quarterback rotation for preseason finale against Lions
https://triblive.com/sports/no-change-in-steelers-quarterback-rotation-for-preseason-finale-against-lions/

looks as if the Steelers might be showing their hand on QB depth chart?

No more Cowher players left, All Tomlin's Show now. Lions vs Steelers 1797695198
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 6:22 am

I think Tomlin will start Trubiski game 1. At what point in the season we see Pickett is anyone's guess. If we see a complete 180 with the Oline in this game against the Lions I see him starting Pickett game 1. I know he's mobile and throws well on the move but it shouldn't be that way EVERY snap.
I also think Rudolph will go in at #3 and will ask for a trade. Look for him to play the entire 2nd half today. The FO owes him an audition. He gets traded and Oladoken comes back as our #3.

effyou515 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 9:15 am

I am starting to think they picked the wrong O-line Coach for this particular group of players. A lot of them ate not doing what Mitchell wants them to do philosophy wise by moving forward and engaging with a arm hit depending on where the opposition lines up and making significant first contact. I am hoping to see more of it this week against the Lions.

Sometimes when new coaches come in and with a young oline you have to be able to asses what you are working with and utilize strengths. Munchak did that very well. Not sure Mitchell is doing that and maybe trying to force these players to do something they may not excel at.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 11:22 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
I am starting to think they picked the wrong O-line Coach for this particular group of players. A lot of them ate not doing what Mitchell wants them to do philosophy wise by moving forward and engaging with a arm hit depending on where the opposition lines up and making significant first contact. I am hoping to see more of it this week against the Lions.

Sometimes when new coaches come in and with a young oline you have to be able to asses what you are working with and utilize strengths.  Munchak did that very well. Not sure Mitchell is doing that and maybe trying to force these players to do something they may not excel at.

You make a good point but isn't also the job of the player to learn the scheme? I think the issue is both and the only way to find out is to move forward good or bad and make adjustments. Something none of our coaches seem to be good at since Munch.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 12:28 pm

solardave wrote:
I think Tomlin will start Trubiski game 1. At what point in the season we see Pickett is anyone's guess. If we see a complete 180 with the Oline in this game against  the Lions I see him starting Pickett game 1. I know he's mobile and throws well on the move but it shouldn't be that way EVERY snap.
I also think Rudolph will go in at #3 and will ask for a trade. Look for him to play the entire 2nd half today. The FO owes him an audition. He gets traded and Oladoken comes back as our #3.

Would like to see Mason have a really good game so can leave with Detroit Lions vs Steelers 1797695198 read somewhere Detroit might be looking at QBs.

1st, need to see what the o-line looks like, subway turnstile LG Geen, Dotson needs to step up and keep Green off the field that right there might 180 the left side of the o-line RG Danials hoping it's just him settling to new coaches.

Would be kind of hard getting Pickett to start if Trubiski is playing well or go the crazy route Don Coryell style and play Trubiski and Pickett every other play Lions vs Steelers 1797695198 , imho see how it plays out.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 5:24 pm

Dan Moore is a holding turn style.
TJ picking up where he left off. Ogenjobi looks like a beast.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 5:25 pm

Bush made a PLAY!!!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 5:50 pm

Trubiski hasn't showed nothing, Pickett comes in and moves the offense has a good case for the starting job.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 5:55 pm

effyou515 wrote:
Trubiski hasn't showed nothing, Pickett comes in and moves the offense has a good case for the starting job.
the truth is, Pickett has already surpassed Trubisky. He is clearly the best QB on the team.

If you don't want to start him in game 1, and let him sit and learn a bit, start Trubisky.

If you want to win more games and play the best QB, start Pickett.

That's the way it is.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 6:00 pm

Trubiski picked them apart on the 2 minute drive. big shout out to the receivers.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 6:27 pm

Mitchell did a great job on that 2 minute drill. Good to see.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 6:53 pm

I'm on the Pickett train now he looks more fluid on the field,
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 10:36 pm

Oline is still a mess. Moore looks outmatched this year in so many ways.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptySun Aug 28, 2022 10:53 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Oline is still a mess. Moore looks outmatched this year in so many ways.
Those multiple holding calls in the red zone were a drive killer.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptyMon Aug 29, 2022 2:56 am

If it wasn't for Moore the first half would have been good for Trubiski. He went 15/19. I'm not saying Pickett won't be better but right now you guys are comparing Trubiski (playing against varsity with a swiss cheese line)and Pickett playing against practice squad guys.
Apples to oranges. There's no need to argue because Mitch will probably get hurt first game and Kenny will come in to run for his life.

effyou515 and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptyMon Aug 29, 2022 6:56 am

Doesn't look like the off season o-line investment is working out? O-line is bad, they're terrible it's sad to see, the rest of the offense looks real promising. Would be great if the Steelers would get a talented LT who could come in and be solid for the next 8 years.

Guess QB gets the ball out quick or rolls out if he wants to get the ball down field.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptyMon Aug 29, 2022 7:09 am

To paraphrase the late Jon McKay: wrote:
“the O line didn’t run block, but they made up for it by not pass blocking”.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptyMon Aug 29, 2022 9:38 am

effyou515 wrote:
Doesn't look like the off season o-line investment is working out? O-line is bad, they're terrible it's sad to see, the rest of the offense looks real promising. Would be great if the Steelers would get a talented LT who could come in and be solid for the next 8 years.

Guess QB gets the ball out quick or rolls out if he wants to get the ball down field.

Daniels and Cole I can give a bit of a pass to they are playing on a new team and new coach with different philosophy. Cole has done ok but again he was a journeyman center from 2 other teams. Daniel has had good and bad moments this last game wasn't so bad against the Lions at least.

Dotson did ok just not a huge push on run plays from what I saw. Okarafor struggles with pass protection and gets ZERO push off the line when run blocking.

Moore just looks terrible out there... I had some hope for him because last year he got better the last 8 games and he shut down some top tier edge rushers those last 8 games or minimized the damage they did. This year he just looks out matched so far in every game.

Next years Draft and FA have got to focus on shoring up the Oline from Center then LT and LG. Not to mention the need to find another ILB to replace Bush that hole is going to cost us either a high draft pick or FA money...

Still have zero clue what the hell Colbert and Tomlin were thinking drafting Green in Rd #3 to try and play Center in the NFL when he only played that spot 4 games his entire collegiate career... what a waste of a high pick...

effyou515 and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptyMon Aug 29, 2022 4:34 pm

solardave wrote:
If it wasn't for Moore the first half would have been good for Trubiski. He went 15/19. I'm not saying Pickett won't be better but right now you guys are comparing Trubiski (playing against varsity with a swiss cheese line)and Pickett playing against practice squad guys.
Apples to oranges. There's no need to argue because Mitch will probably get hurt first game and Kenny will come in to run for his life.
True regarding the last game but the previous one, he went in when the opponents still had their first teamers out there.

Trubisky has an edge in facing defenses that are going to stunt and throw twists into things - things Pickett hasn't seen before. Everyone in preseason is pretty much running vanilla defenses.

I'm fine if they start Trubisky in game 1, I can completely understand that. But Pickett is better, and he's better right now. He's also 24 years old, so older and more mature than most QB's coming out of college. He's much more ready to step in and lead than most.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 3:05 am

They need to bring in an OT to compete with Dan Moore. Dude looks like he somehow took a step back from last season. I can live with the rest of the o-line but the dude protecting our QBs blindside isn't very good.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
effyou515

effyou515

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 3:10 am

I'm liking this Trubiski and Pickett QB competition haven't seen this good of QB competition since Joe Gilliam and Terry Bradshaw.

solardave and IowaSteeler927 like this post

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 5:57 am

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

Daniels and Cole I can give a bit of a pass to they are playing on a new team and new coach with different philosophy. Cole has done ok but again he was a journeyman center from 2 other teams. Daniel has had good and bad moments this last game wasn't so bad against the Lions at least.

Dotson did ok just not a huge push on run plays from what I saw. Okarafor struggles with pass protection and gets ZERO push off the line when run blocking.

Moore just looks terrible out there... I had some hope for him because last year he got better the last 8 games and he shut down some top tier edge rushers those last 8 games or minimized the damage they did. This year he just looks out matched so far in every game.

Next years Draft and FA have got to focus on shoring up the Oline from Center then LT and LG. Not to mention the need to find another ILB to replace Bush that hole is going to cost us either a high draft pick or FA money...

Still have zero clue what the hell Colbert and Tomlin were thinking drafting Green in Rd #3 to try and play Center in the NFL when he only played that spot 4 games his entire collegiate career... what a waste of a high pick...

I'm not sure I'm a fan of Meyer's philosophy as o-line coach, or at least I'm not a fan of hiring a guy to come in and try to teach the line something that's the opposite of what they've been doing in the past. Why bring in a guy with a different philosophy when the o-line was already struggling so mightily? I think Meyer's philosophy is why we're seeing James Daniels struggle when he was actually pretty solid for the Bears. It's like they brought guys in because they needed to plug holes, but they didn't try to bring guys in who might actually fit what Meyer is trying to do.

Maybe I'm wrong here and they just need time to get things down, but it hasn't looked good so far. I know Meyer likes to teach independent hands, instead of punching with two hands you punch individually. I think the idea is that if you have one hand knocked down by the defender you have another hand free to engage again. I guess I can see the benefit of it if you have lineman that are strong enough with one handed punches to be effective blockers in that way, but these guys I think were all used to the old school two handed method of punching. They just don't look comfortable out there, to my amateur eye at least and it would explain Dan Moore's apparent regression, and James Daniels struggles.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 10:01 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

I'm not sure I'm a fan of Meyer's philosophy as o-line coach, or at least I'm not a fan of hiring a guy to come in and try to teach the line something that's the opposite of what they've been doing in the past. Why bring in a guy with a different philosophy when the o-line was already struggling so mightily? I think Meyer's philosophy is why we're seeing James Daniels struggle when he was actually pretty solid for the Bears. It's like they brought guys in because they needed to plug holes, but they didn't try to bring guys in who might actually fit what Meyer is trying to do.

Maybe I'm wrong here and they just need time to get things down, but it hasn't looked good so far. I know Meyer likes to teach independent hands, instead of punching with two hands you punch individually. I think the idea is that if you have one hand knocked down by the defender you have another hand free to engage again. I guess I can see the benefit of it if you have lineman that are strong enough with one handed punches to be effective blockers in that way, but these guys I think were all used to the old school two handed method of punching. They just don't look comfortable out there, to my amateur eye at least and it would explain Dan Moore's apparent regression, and James Daniels struggles.

Agree 100%. For me Munchak took the best parts of a player and built off of what he had. He elevated players game play by minimizing weaknesses in players and maximizing what they did well.

Meyer's philosophy is good but if a player isn't comfortable doing it but excels at others (like Daniels) then you have to be able to say you do what you need to do to win the fight in there.

It's like trying to fit square pegs into round holes...

Let Daniels be Daniels... he is 25 years old played in the NFL and is a veteran. Let him play his style don't try to force him to do something he doesn't feel right doing.

Yes you can teach them new concepts and want them to incorporate it into their play but you don't want to handicapp them either.

I think Meyer is forcing them to play a certain way and the end product is a unit that just looks uncomfortable doing it.

Moore just looks like he is completely out of his element. How can that be when last year the last 8 games he played some really solid games against tough ends like Bosa and Garrett? The regression seems to me from putting a new Oline coach in front of him and having to try to learn ANOTHER blocking style. I liken it to what happened to Alex Smith in San Francisco. The first 7 years of his career he had 6 new Offensive Coordinators and 4 new head coaches. He had 1 O Coordinator for 2 years and when he had that they made the playoffs. Alex Smith was a good QB but he got screwed over by a rotating door of coaches.

Klemm bailed on the team last year before the season was even over... why? I believe it had to be 1 of 2 things... he either helped hand pick Green (a complete waste of a 3rd round pick trying to make him an NFL Center) and Moore (a 4th rounder that could have maybe been picked in 5 or 6) or he didn't want those guys but was given them and told to make them NFL worthy fast. Either way it was a huge whiff by him or by the FO and Coaching staff.

Same thing happened with Artie Burns a guy that played man coverage in college 100% of the time 1v1 ball and excelled at it and we took him in round 1 and said, "Hey Artie you are gonna play zone coverage 85% of the time now and you need to be good at it." We wasted a rd1 pick by choosing Burns and taking away his strengths and then being shocked that he didn't excell at things...

They went and tried to tinker and go cheap with the Oline the last 2 years and we are seeing an end product. They should have thrown a shit load of money at Mike Munchak and told him to come back and fix the mess. He went to Denver to be with family... throw a job to his daughter in the organization and have her come work for the Steelers...

We could have had Creed Humphrey last year...

IowaSteeler927 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 11:21 am

Bring back Munchak whatever it costs, best way to go.

And yes - get his daughter a job.

IowaSteeler927 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers EmptyWed Aug 31, 2022 3:23 am

James Daniels played really well against the Lions, just saying Lions vs Steelers 1f609

solardave, SteelerFreak58 and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lions vs Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lions vs Steelers   Lions vs Steelers Empty

Back to top Go down

Lions vs Steelers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next