Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMost Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.

Go down 
+7
Chris43
skipJennings
SteelCityMom
Wallace108
vasteeler
JonM229
Buddha Bus
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. Empty
PostSubject: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 6:21 pm

OK, we have the Most Overrated Bands... who are your most under-appreciated bands you can think of.

I'll start with The Drive-By Truckers since Jon and I mentioned them in the other thread. They were founded in 1996 in Athens, Georgia by core members Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley. They are a band steeped in southern roots rock with a splash of alternative and a punk sensibility.

The members are multi-talented as most of them share lead vocal and songwriting duties in addition to all playing instruments. They have a 9 album catalog of wonderful, catchy music, one being a double album titled "Southern Rock Opera" which is exactly that.

Personally, I feel their best music was made during guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Jason Isbell's stint in the band from 2001-2007. He since has gone on to a solo career and continues writing great music today. I think the Truckers suffered a little after his departure, but they are still going strong and rely on bassist Shonna Tucker more now as a vocalist to help fill the void.

I have seen a lot of bands play live in my life and I feel DBT is one of the best bands I've seen to date.

Here are a few of my favorite DBT songs:

Last edited by Buddha Bus on Fri May 06, 2011 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 7:21 pm

If anybody has heard of The Heartless Bastards, I'll eat my hat. I've seen them live three times, the most recent being them headlining at a small club in Chicago. They've only released three albums so far, but each one has been great. Their first "Stairs and Elevators" is mainly a bluesy, hard-rock album and their second and third albums ("All This Time" and "The Mountain" respectively) having a much more expansive sound. People were critical of Erika Wennerstrom's guitar playing, but the third album saw the addition of a lead guitarist, filling out their sound (it was great to hear their earlier songs with an added guitar.) Here's some of my favorites:

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Another band I could never figure out why, of all of the crappy "alternative rock" bands to hit it big, they never had much mainstream success was Catherine Wheel. They had great moody and ethereal songs and could really rock.

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:10 pm

The Brian Jonestown Massacre makes Psychedelic Rock that sounds like it could've come out of the late 60's. Too bad the frontman Anton Newcombe is batshit crazy.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:16 pm

Jon, I've gotta say I'm liking what I'm hearing of the Heartless Bastards (Is it too late to say I've heard of them before just so I can see you eat your hat? Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. 3798349058)

I'll have to pick some of their stuff up. Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. 184121345

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:18 pm

If you like folksy mixed with crazy psychedelia, I recommend Neutral Milk Hotel:

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Jon, I've gotta say I'm liking what I'm hearing of the Heartless Bastards (Is it too late to say I've heard of them before just so I can see you eat your hat? Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. 3798349058)

I'll have to pick some of their stuff up. Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. 184121345

I thought you may have heard of them since they most recently have been opening for Drive-By Truckers. I think they just went back into the studio for their 4th album. I actually first heard them on a listening station at a Borders because I liked the name. About a month later, I saw Lucinda Williams and they opened for her and were awesome. I've been a huge fan since. I also get to feel better than other people who hadn't heard of them.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:25 pm

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how I never heard of Ghoultown before DDF recommended them to me awhile back. This band is so original with the punk/metal/spaghetti western rock thing they have going on. I really got into them after the first listen I had. Too bad it took me so long.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:28 pm

JonM229 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

I thought you may have heard of them since they most recently have been opening for Drive-By Truckers. I think they just went back into the studio for their 4th album. I actually first heard them on a listening station at a Borders because I liked the name. About a month later, I saw Lucinda Williams and they opened for her and were awesome. I've been a huge fan since. I also get to feel better than other people who hadn't heard of them.

No, never heard of them. I saw DBT live a couple years ago. I do have to admit that DBT's new album "Go-Go Boots" didn't sound that great to me from the snippets I heard on i-Tunes. Sounded kind of bland and overly polished.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:45 pm

One more before I call it a night. Lucero is an awesome fucking band... period! Not sure why they haven't hit it with their honest, heart-wrenching and raw brand of alt/country rock soaked in whiskey and tears, but people are truly missing out on this band. I have 4 of their albums currently: "Lucero", "Lucero: Live at Cat's Cradle", "Tennessee" and "That Much Further West". Check 'em out. You won't be sorry!

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 9:08 pm

I may as well get one last one in tonight. John Cale, one of the founding members of the Velvet Underground with Lou Reed, has had an enormous impact on music. He's produced albums for Neko, Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers, Patti Smith, and The Stooges (with Iggy Pop). His solo career is full of avant-garde rock always with a threat of violence just lurking in the backround.

He could also craft some damn fine ballads:

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 11:23 am

this band (if you can get past the cookie monster vocals) are incredible
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 7:19 pm

If you don't live in Europe or his home country of Australia, odds are you've never heard of Nick Cave. I would argue that he's one of the greatest songwriters ever. He's also written a few movies, "The Proposition" comes highly recommended. If you like harder music, you can check out his first band The Birthday Party or his latest side-project Grinderman.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

The Birthday Party

Grinderman

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm going to have to give props to my favorite band in the world, Clutch. I know they have some national notoriety, but I personally believe they are the best damn band on the planet and deserve much more recognition than they get. They have really progressed and evolved from their early, heavier stoner metal days to the current jammy, bluesy and experimental version we have today.

Lyrically, Neil Fallon is a master wordsmith and the band boasts one of the best drummers in rock today in Jean Paul Gaster. This extremely tight and instrumentally sound band also puts on one of the best live shows around and tours relentlessly.

If you see them around your neck of the woods, run, don't walk to your nearest ticket retailer before it's too late!

One for VASTEELER! Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. 2981382511

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 8:45 pm

i love this thread i hope this one continues on. music is a huge part of my life and i get tired of the same old shit (especially the garbage they play on the radio) so keep the new stuff coming.also.........CLUTCH $#%@ING ROCKS Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. 2551600555
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 9:10 pm

vasteeler wrote:
i love this thread i hope this one continues on.

VA, I'm holding this thread hostage. If you give Mitch Berger just one positive vote, I'm locking this thread. Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. 3798349058

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 9:31 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
vasteeler wrote:
i love this thread i hope this one continues on.

VA, I'm holding this thread hostage. If you give Mitch Berger just one positive vote, I'm locking this thread. Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. 3798349058

:rant:
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 3:27 pm

these guys are odd but i love em....grease cover Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. 1549491426

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ngjquny6g
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 5:51 pm

vasteeler wrote:
these guys are odd but i love em....grease cover Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. 1549491426

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ngjquny6g

I really like Dog Fashion Disco, VA! I saw them live in concert once. Really good, Faith No More-y/Mr. Bungle-ish type band. I have 3 of their CDs. Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. 184121345

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm going a little more mainstream here, but I think one of the more under-appreciated bands is Shinedown. I've seen them in concert 5 times, and their lead singer, Brent Smith, is an amazing vocalist. He sounds as good live as he does on an album.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 5:00 pm

The kings of sludgy stoner rock Kyuss. This band was one of the pioneers of stoner metal music. They had an original bass heavy, fuzzy sound that has been repeatedly copied but never topped. This band has also spawned other awesome bands such as Unida, Queens Of The Stone Age, Fu Manchu, Hermano and The Eagles Of Death Metal (all have ex-members in them). I wish they had stayed together and conquered the world!

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 5:18 pm

i love this band.i guess they really havent been around long enough to consider them underrated. if you like the old james brown stuff then check these guys out

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Another metal band that I think is under-appreciated is Prong. They are one of the heaviest, crunchiest prog-metal bands ever. I've seen them live twice and they kick some serious ass! Tommy Victor's growling vocals and industrial-grade table saw-like guitar are easily recognizable and make this band stand out above most of today's crappy metal.

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 7:42 pm

good call buddha ..........prong rocks Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. 730413182
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. EmptyFri May 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Quicksand was an awesome emo/hardcore/metal band from the 90s that I liked a lot and felt never got their props. They were a blend of Helmet and Fugazi in sound and had some great songs. Their stint was short lived (too short IMHO) only releasing two full-length albums. The lead singer/songwriter (Walter Schreifels) went on to form another good band named Rival Schools, but they weren't as good as Quicksand.

I had the pleasure of getting the opportunity to see them live once playing with the Deftones and, I believe, Rage Against The Machine at Michaels's 8th Avenue in Glen Burnie, Maryland years ago after a 3-year long break-up. Alas, the reunion was short lived as they split again after a year and a half, but they played a great show the night I saw them.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. Empty

Back to top Go down

Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next