Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMost Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.

Go down 
+7
Chris43
skipJennings
SteelCityMom
Wallace108
vasteeler
JonM229
Buddha Bus
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
JonM229

JonM229

Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:05 pm

vasteeler wrote:
jon, love the flaming lips. not really familiar with john cale but i will check his stuff out later today

His stuff in the mid to late 70s is best, specifically the following albums:

Paris 1919
Fear
Slow Dazzle
Helen of Troy
Sabotage/Live

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 8:57 am

The Heartless Bastards' new album Arrow is set to be released on February 14. Why wait until then to give it a listen?

First Listen: Heartless Bastards, 'Arrow' : NPR

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:43 am

You can also stream their album on their website up until Tuesday, when the album is released.

Back to top Go down
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 7:33 am

JonM229 wrote:
His stuff in the mid to late 70s is best, specifically the following albums:

Paris 1919
Fear
Slow Dazzle
Helen of Troy
Sabotage/Live

I used to have Paris 1919 years ago and listened to it quite a lot back then. Haven't heard it in years. "Endless Plain of Fortune" was a great tune. The whole album was good though. Short and sweet.

"You're a ghost. La la la la la la..."

Great chorus.
Back to top Go down
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 7:49 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
No, never heard of them. I saw DBT live a couple years ago. I do have to admit that DBT's new album "Go-Go Boots" didn't sound that great to me from the snippets I heard on i-Tunes. Sounded kind of bland and overly polished.

Have you heard Jason Isbell's album "Here We Rest" from last year? It's really good. Listening to his solo stuff you can really hear the influence he had on DBT at the time with the great rootsy tunes like "Outfit".
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 4:00 pm

skipJennings wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
No, never heard of them. I saw DBT live a couple years ago. I do have to admit that DBT's new album "Go-Go Boots" didn't sound that great to me from the snippets I heard on i-Tunes. Sounded kind of bland and overly polished.

Have you heard Jason Isbell's album "Here We Rest" from last year? It's really good. Listening to his solo stuff you can really hear the influence he had on DBT at the time with the great rootsy tunes like "Outfit".

DBT hasn't been quite as good since he left. He's great and I had no idea he had a new album out. I have his first 2 solo albums and they're great. iTunes here I come! Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1797695198

Back to top Go down
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
DBT hasn't been quite as good since he left. He's great and I had no idea he had a new album out. I have his first 2 solo albums and they're great. iTunes here I come! Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1797695198

I'll check out his other two albums then. Thanks for the recommendation, mate.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 9:14 pm

skipJennings wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

I'll check out his other two albums then. Thanks for the recommendation, mate.

No problem. If you're a big DBT/Isbell fan, check out Lucero and I Can Lick Any Son-of-a-bitch In the House. Similar rootsy southern alt rock bands.

Back to top Go down
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:21 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
No problem. If you're a big DBT/Isbell fan, check out Lucero and I Can Lick Any Son-of-a-bitch In the House. Similar rootsy southern alt rock bands.

Alright, thanks for those. I've heard of Lucero, but not I Can Lick Any Son-of-a-bitch In the House. Brazen name. I like it. I'll be sure to check those bands out.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 3:40 pm

skipJennings wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Alright, thanks for those. I've heard of Lucero, but not I Can Lick Any Son-of-a-bitch In the House. Brazen name. I like it. I'll be sure to check those bands out.

Just remember, when searching for I Can Lick..., that the word "Son-of-a-bitch" is all one word without hyphens. We have a running gag going on here with that word going through a word filter and it comes up as something different when you type it in and post it. Try it to find out what I'm talking about. Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 3798349058

Back to top Go down
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:54 pm

I am touching myself inappropriately right now.

I previewed it first, but what the hell, I'll send as is. So there's Orwellian technology at work here. Sweet. The mind boggles at the potential...
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:14 pm

skipJennings wrote:
I am touching myself inappropriately right now.

I previewed it first, but what the hell, I'll send as is. So there's Orwellian technology at work here. Sweet. The mind boggles at the potential...

Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1549491426

It's not Orwellian. It's more like Beavis and Butt-Head. Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1797695198

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
skipJennings
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 am

Wallace108 wrote:

It's not Orwellian. It's more like Beavis and Butt-Head. Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1797695198

Yeah, that's more like it. Speaking of, have you seen these sculptures someone made:

Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 Beavis_and_Butt-Head_sculptures
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1664291743

Those are awesome.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 4:49 pm

skipJennings wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Yeah, that's more like it. Speaking of, have you seen these sculptures someone made:

Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 Beavis_and_Butt-Head_sculptures

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Yet another 90's alternative rock band I liked back in the day was Velocity Girl. They had a crunchy, pop-punk indie sound and some damn catchy tunes.

Back to top Go down
Chris43
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Hollywood Undead is a pretty under-rated band. They're like a rap-rock kind of band. But they're good. They kicked out one of the members last year, who went solo and is doing great. One of his songs is played on the radio, "America" by Duece.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 5:11 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Quicksand was an awesome emo/hardcore/metal band from the 90s that I liked a lot and felt never got their props. They were a blend of Helmet and Fugazi in sound and had some great songs. Their stint was short lived (too short IMHO) only releasing two full-length albums. The lead singer/songwriter (Walter Schreifels) went on to form another good band named Rival Schools, but they weren't as good as Quicksand.

I had the pleasure of getting the opportunity to see them live once playing with the Deftones and, I believe, Rage Against The Machine at Michaels's 8th Avenue in Glen Burnie, Maryland years ago after a 3-year long break-up. Alas, the reunion was short lived as they split again after a year and a half, but they played a great show the night I saw them.

THEY'RE BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!! Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1372836603 Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1372836603 Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1372836603 Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1372836603 Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1372836603 Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1372836603 Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1372836603 Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 1372836603

I just found out the other day that Quicksand had re-formed with all original members! I'm psyched! I just hope they come around here so I can see them again and that they actually cut a new album.

Bad Audio Quality! (...but hey, it's fucking Quicksand!)

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 7:16 am

Of Monsters and Men is my new favorite Icelandic band (though I can only name two off the top of my head)

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 4:42 pm

Time to revive another old thread!

Baroness is a current favorite band of mine. I got a chance to see them in concert almost 2 years ago and have been dying to see them again since. The closest thing I can compare them to is Mastodon. They are a heavy, but very moody and sonically interesting band. It's what I'd imagine if Pink Floyd were to evolve into a heavy metal band. Their last album "Yellow and Green" is fucking phenomenal! I can't wait till they release a new one and tour the states again. This band flat out brings it!

Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 7:23 pm

Your first post pretty much hits it. Drive By Truckers would have to be up there.

Bottle Rockets is another band, but they aren't quite as good.

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 8:24 pm

I never thought I'd see Quicksand and Velocity Girl in a thread on a Steelers Message Board. Pretty damn cool. I'm in a time zone. I'm out of touch with current music. I knew every new band in the early 90s (worked in a record/cd store, WTF is that? LOL). Now, I know jack $h!t

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 am

I've been really into Dr. Dog recently.  They're a group out of Philly with a sound that's hard to describe, because they have such a wide-ranging sound.  I'd say they're mainly rooted in rock, indie-folk, and psychedelic.

Back to top Go down
FanSince72

FanSince72

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 11:30 am

Lately I've been getting into St. Vincent.
Definitely different, quirky, but very good stuff!

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 6:40 pm

tube517 wrote:
I never thought I'd see Quicksand and Velocity Girl in a thread on a Steelers Message Board. Pretty damn cool.  I'm in a time zone. I'm out of touch with current music.  I knew every new band in the early 90s (worked in a record/cd store, WTF is that? LOL). Now, I know jack $h!t

must be getting old lol.

my sister said she realized she was old when she walked through a wal-mart and didn't recognize the faces on the t-shirts they were selling.

PostSubject: Re: Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.   Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Most Under-appreciated Bands/Musicians.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next