Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeOfficial Draft Day Discussion Thread Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Official Draft Day Discussion Thread

Go down 
+44
effyou515
SoCalFan
kan_t
Steeler Zach
fer69
EbonySteel86
Bert Gordon
RedzoneRedman33
43Hitman
ImperialFan
Fire Arians
Synthraxis
Gingerchip
jak341
Chaotic Zen
steelcrazy
Bane
white_steel_wolfe
lipps83
TherealCasteeler
pczach
SteelersYak
harrison'samonster
BlackAndGold
teegre
Hawaii 5-0
steelcityboyz
Pappy
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
WVABE
ebsteelersSF
SteelerSpartan
steelstoned1972
Jazzo
SteelersCanada
kirklandrules
PhantomJB93
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Buddha Bus
tony hipchest
Lokki
ETL
Vis
Wallace108
48 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Official Draft Day Discussion Thread Empty
PostSubject: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 8:26 am

Here we go. Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 3056903510

Let's try to keep all general Draft Day discussion in this thread rather than creating a bunch of separate threads. Obviously, separate threads can be started after players are drafted to focus specifically on those players.

The chatbox (at the bottom of the forum) is another option for discussions. To access it, click Login at the top right of the chatbox. To see messages that were made before you logged in, click the Archives link (which appears to the left of the Login link after you've logged in). If you want the chatbox to open up in a separate window, click the word "Chatbox" at the top left of the box. Note: You must be logged in to the forum to be able to see the chatbox.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 8:29 am

We will need that Welcome thread when Landon Collins officially becomes a Steeler Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 1378315869

ETL

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 8:52 am

So ....  Who do ya want?

Kevin Johnson
Marcus Peters
Byron Jones
Eric Rowe
Trae Waynes
Landon Collins
Shane Ray
Eli Harold
Jason Collins
randy Gregory
Any player named Collins

I personally would like .... Kevin Johnson.

Over the years - the player that I wanted in round 1 that the Steelers actually got are:

plaxico burress
Ben
David decastro
Jarvis jones

But I recall that I really wanted the Steelers to draft Rae Carruth as well when he was available. So I will keep my day job - thank you.

Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 9:58 am

Vis wrote:
We will need that Welcome thread when Landon Collins officially becomes a Steeler Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 1378315869

I would be ok with us picking him. Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 348340646
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 10:11 am

i almost started my own thread.

i havent heard much talk about it, but i really think the steelers should draft a cornerback or outside linebacker.Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 3135543967

the steelers never draft a CB in the first round though. OLB is a different story.

jasod worlims retired. jarvis jones is a bust and we shouldnt even talk about him, and since jamess harrison is old, slow, and its over, we need to select a young player whos growth he can stunt, until they have a breakout season and leave in free agency. Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 2893009358

. .
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 11:41 am

tony hipchest wrote:
i almost started my own thread.

i havent heard much talk about it, but i really think the steelers should draft a cornerback or outside linebacker.Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 3135543967

the steelers never draft a CB in the first round though.  OLB is a different story.

jasod worlims retired.  jarvis jones is a bust and we shouldnt even talk about him, and since jamess harrison is old, slow, and its over, we need to select a young player whos growth he can stunt, until they have a breakout season and leave in free agency. Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 2893009358

The jackassery is strong in this one.

Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 11:42 am

@tonyhipchest

You take that back! Harrison still has many, many years left! Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 131212936

It's Big Ben thats gotta go.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 11:48 am

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
@tonyhipchest

You take that back! Harrison still has many, many years left! Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 131212936

It's Big Ben thats gotta go.

Harrison has many, many years left.... of eating at cheap buffets and watching Matlock with the volume up too loud. Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 3798349058

Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 11:49 am

i need @bayz101 to hack into steelersfever and retrieve my james harrison eyepatch avatar.

Buddha Bus wrote:

Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 2573146105

. .
Back to top Go down
ETL

ETL

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 11:52 am

I'm wonder if there is an alternative reason for the Steelers to not draft a CB in round one.

That being that if they turn out to be good - they will either demand too much money and leave in a few years or if the Steelers give in to their contract demands - they will handicap the team by taking too much of the cap money (in Omar Khan's opinion)

CBs seem to be the prima donnas of the defense in that aspect.

Having said that - obviously any good player in any position can do this. The QB - you just have to pay them. (0 = number of Super Bowls the steelers have won with a non-first round QB). And some feel that you just have to pay the CB as well. But the Steelers don't do this. They don't like to pay top dollars to any position except QB.

If Revis was drafted by the Steelers - he would have left after his rookie contract was done and he would have held out way before it was done.

I'm not saying that this is right or not - just that the Steelers may view the CB position this way and do not want to get into situation of drafting a player in a position that they will lose in a few years anyways. (Personally I would be thrilled if a player they drafted was demanding this type of money because it would mean they found a star)

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 11:53 am

tony hipchest wrote:
i need @bayz101 to hack into steelersfever and retrieve my avatar of when James Harrison got beat up by four year olds.

Buddha Bus wrote:

Fixed that for ya. Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 1664291743
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 12:01 pm

My gut feeling today is Marcus Peters. He's pretty much everything that goes against what we do in the first round, but it also seems like they've done their research and shown him more love than any other prospect. Maybe Butler has a different philosophy on early CBs and character issues than LeBeau did...
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 12:15 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:
My gut feeling today is Marcus Peters.  He's pretty much everything that goes against what we do in the first round, but it also seems like they've done their research and shown him more love than any other prospect.  Maybe Butler has a different philosophy on early CBs and character issues than LeBeau did...

Thats an interesting thing to consider.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 12:37 pm

This is the first year I've changed my mind regarding a character issue guy. As a rule of thumb, I lock the guys where they are coming out of the last bowl games and go with that. The rest is combine and hype, which you'll find the Steelers really don't put a tremendous amount of weight on those.

Unless someone great falls in their lap (like Vic Beasley) and he's still available, I'd probably take Marcus Peters. I really thought he was a basket case and is very cocky on the field. However, he's made amends with the coaching staff that threw him off the team (hence, allowing him to participate in their Pro Day). The Steelers interviewed him at the Combine, the Washington Pro Day, and brought him to the 'burgh. I've always maintained Peters and Ifo Ekpre-Olomu were the best corners last year (with Peters having the edge due to being 3 inches taller). But attitude and injury changed their rankings. If the Steelers feel they have a good handle on Peters, then that should be the guy.

This year has had more drama around the draft than I can remember in prior years. At the end of the college football bowl season, I thought the 1st round choice would be an OLB. Here's my ranking of OLB back then:

1. Randy Gregory
  2. Shane Ray
  3. Dante Fowler
  4. Vic Beasley
  5. Bud Dupree

I thought Shane Ray didn't fit the Steelers as a left side OLB. The same could be said of Gregory, but he's got the frame to add size ... I could see him at 265 lbs. But I thought one of those guys (not Ray) would be their pick ... most likely Dupree (Fowler and Beasley would be long gone).

But now that Gregory and Ray couldn't resist partaking  Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 1335507402 I think Beasley and Dupree are guaranteed to go much higher than 22. Steelers will pass on Gregory and Ray (I'd be happy if they took Gregory, dope and all). After this group of 5 OLBs, the rest would be too much of a stretch to take at 22 (including Eli Harold).

So you then look at the CBs available. This is where Marcus Peters, Byron Jones and Kevin Johnson are most likely available at 22 (Peters may very well be gone). If the Steelers are comfortable with Peters and he's there, then they have the opportunity to select the best corner in the draft (talent wise). If he's not, Jones should be the guy. His play fits the Steelers quite well and he's a high character guy. Johnson is also a high character guy and a solid cover corner. But I'm concerned with his light frame and his struggles in the run game (although for a skinny kid, he played tough ... just concerned that won't be enough at the next level).

Peters or Jones, in that order.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 1:48 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
i need @bayz101 to hack into steelersfever and retrieve my james harrison eyepatch avatar.

Buddha Bus wrote:

Google Images is your friend..

Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 09000d5d822dae73
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 2:44 pm

R1. Randy Gregory
R2. Eric Rowe
R3. Jeff Heuerman
R4. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu
R5. Cody Prewitt
R6. Laurence Gibson
R6(C). Tre Jackson
R7. Stefon Diggs

0/8, here we come.
Back to top Go down
Jazzo

Jazzo

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Unfortunately, my wants probably still won't be around for the #22 pick. I am hoping for Danny Shelton or Malcom Brown.

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 3:41 pm

I like Peters to be the pick unless Ray or gregory falls in their lap.

i am expecting a cb like Peters , Johnson, Jones , or rowe followed by an olb in the 2nd round . (orchard , preston smith , Hawiaan name , or Eli harold )

If they go olb in the first (ray , Gregory , dupree) then i expect a second tier corner in the following round.

but who in the hell knows lol. who expected Shazier last year ?

so the pick will probably be Malcom Brown to throw us all a curveball

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 3:44 pm

steelstoned1972 wrote:

i am expecting a cb like Peters , Johnson, Jones , or rowe followed by an olb in the 2nd round . (orchard , preston smith , Hawiaan name , or Eli harold )

If they go olb in the first (ray , Gregory , dupree) then i expect a second tier corner in the following round.

I wonder if Rowe can be grabbed in the second. Its possible.
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 3:55 pm

steelstoned1972 wrote:

yes it is. we will find out this weekend !

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 4:05 pm

Hello all my ex SteelersFever buddies(I was Steel_Bus_24 over there)......

I haven't done any research on anybody this year....so I'm going into this draft about as blind as I ever have.

Team Needs are CB,Safety,OLB.......

I'll believe they take another 1st round CB when I see it. They think a CB is just a faster Linebacker who needs to play a deeper zone and tackle.

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 4:08 pm

steelstoned1972 wrote:
steelstoned1972 wrote:

yes it is. we will find out this weekend !

Theres something about that pick that I cant put my finger on, like an instinct, that it would be a very good choice. But if we get Peters, I wonder if that drops our odds of getting Rowe, as we would probably dip into OLB in rd 2 with Kikaha or Orchard or Harold. Yet, for some reason, I still want Rowe in that situation.
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 4:15 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:
R1. Randy Gregory
R2. Eric Rowe
R3. Jeff Heuerman
R4. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu
R5. Cody Prewitt
R6. Laurence Gibson
R6(C). Tre Jackson
R7. Stefon Diggs

0/8, here we come.

I'd love this draft. Especially if Ekpre-Olomu in the 4th but idk man. A smart team will pick him up before he falls that far.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 4:22 pm

SteelerSpartan wrote:
Hello all  my ex SteelersFever buddies(I was Steel_Bus_24 over there)......

I haven't done any research on anybody this year....so I'm going into this draft about as blind as I ever have.

Team Needs are CB,Safety,OLB.......

I'll believe they take another 1st round CB when I see it.  They think a CB is just a faster Linebacker who needs to play a deeper zone and tackle.

Welcom Spartan (aka Bus)! You're right about taking a 1st round CB. But that position is a complete mess right now. This might just be the year they go after it. Tomlin may even go 1,2 ... he did that in 2007 with the LB position by taking Timmons and Woodley. When the boss says "fix it", Tomlin and Colbert will certainly react.

Or they do what they did last year ... take a 5th rounder and cut him. Official Draft Day Discussion Thread 3798349058
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 4:24 pm

Especially if Ekpre-Olomu in the 4th but idk man. A smart team will pick him up before he falls that far.

I'd wait until the 5th or 6th. There's a good possibility he doesn't play at all this year ... some are saying he won't play again. Definitely a risk and won't be of value for a few years. I really like this guy, but that injury sounds pretty bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Draft Day Discussion Thread   Official Draft Day Discussion Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Official Draft Day Discussion Thread
Page 1 of 22Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 22  Next