Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeAntwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender

Go down 
+6
Steel Peon
Fire Arians
SteelCityUnderground
solardave
SteelersYak
Wallace108
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender Empty
PostSubject: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 10:12 am

Posted by Josh Alper

Cornerback Antwon Blake didn’t generate any offer sheets from other teams as a restricted free agent over the last month, which means he’ll be back with the Steelers in 2015.

Blake tweeted a picture of the moment he signed his tender from the Steelers, setting him up to make $1.542 million next season in Pittsburgh. The Steelers had the right to match any offers that might have come Blake’s way, but wouldn’t have received any draft pick compensation if that happened.

Since it didn’t, Blake will be back in the mix for playing time at corner. He played 275 snaps on defense last season and had 42 tackles and an interception.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/05/antwon-blake-signs-restricted-free-agent-tender-with-steelers/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Let's see what he can do this year. He was pretty decent last year.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 2:50 am

Good news. Hopefully he'll take the next step this year.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 1:44 pm

He reminds me of the usual Steeler castoffs at corner. I was high on acquiring him a few years ago, when the Jags dumped him. He's young and had a decent amount of experience. His first year in Pittsburgh, he didn't see any regular playing time, mostly special teams play. Last year was trial by fire.

Only knock on Blake is his size, but boy can he hit!

PS - I kind of see the same thing happening with BW Webb, who didn't sniff the field last season, but had ample playing time with the Cowboys the prior year.

http://steelcityunderground.com
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 3:20 pm

I hope he can move himself to a more secure spot and get a decent contract. I appreciated his play last season and he could be part of the new foundation of defensive backs that we need.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 3:58 pm

SUPERBOWL!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 4:07 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
SUPERBOWL!

Not only that, but Blake is about 3 INTs away from tying Ike for career INTs. Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender 2705760964

Good to see you again FA. Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender 230572241

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Fire Arians wrote:
SUPERBOWL!

Not only that, but Blake is about 3 INTs away from tying Ike for career INTs. Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender 2705760964

Good to see you again FA. Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender 230572241

Yeah I like Blake, the guy is a physical corner despite not being that tall.

Good to be back, gonna be more permanent since steelersfever apparently is no longer around Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender 1283067935

Lmao forgot i had this avatar, I'll change it when i get home.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 4:48 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
Good to be back, gonna be more permanent since steelersfever apparently is no longer around Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender 1283067935

Yeah, me and Bayz talked about that situation when the main link started directing to godaddy. Obviously, that wasn't a good sign for the board. Matthew was the worst possible owner ... someone who bought the board for financial reasons and not because he was a diehard Steelers fan. What really sucks is the amount of effort you guys put into the board to revive it after the meltdown in 2010. After witnessing everything that happened, I never would have imagined that Fever would have bounced back the way it did. That's a huge credit to all you guys.

I know what it feels like to lose a home, having gone through it at Fever in 2010. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bayz start his own board (or Fever to rise from the ashes once again), but in the meantime, make yourself at home here at SX. Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender 230572241

Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
I lol'd...."Ike Taylor caught a football once.... Lol, jk." Love Ike, but those are the facts.

Really though, this thread is about Blake and I really like the guy. As far as I can remember, that 1 INT was the very first play he was in, but it also could've been the first play I'd seen him in. Either way, I've seen nothing but good stuff since, and his strength, speed, and dexterity lead me to think he'll be an incredibly important and versatile player for us......if he can be utilized correctly.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 3:29 pm

Steel Peon wrote:
Really though, this thread is about Blake and I really like the guy. As far as I can remember, that 1 INT was the very first play he was in, but it also could've been the first play I'd seen him in. Either way, I've seen nothing but good stuff since, and his strength, speed, and dexterity lead me to think he'll be an incredibly important and versatile player for us......if he can be utilized correctly.

First and foremost, welcome to SX. Make yourself at home, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender 230572241

In my opinion, we don't have a whole lot to go on in judging Blake so I'm reserving my judgment. But he did show some potential. At the very least, we know he's serviceable. Coming into this season, he'll have an opportunity to show that he can be more than that.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 5:00 pm

I seem to remember a few nice pass break ups and tackles as well. We'll see what he brings this year.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyFri May 29, 2015 1:30 am

Steelers notebook: Blake gets outside shot in nickel

May 28, 2015
By Mark Kaboly and Chris Adamski

Antwon Blake prides himself in being able to play any position in the defensive backfield.

However, he does have a preference.

“For the most part, I am an outside corner,” Blake said. “I have been known to move around, but I feel like I am an outside corner, and that's what I like to do.”

During the first two days of organized team activities, Blake acknowledged he jumps into the starting left cornerback spot when the Steelers go to their nickel package, forcing veteran William Gay inside. Brice McCain, who signed with Miami, was their slot corner last year.

Blake played 11 games last season, including the final 10 when Cortez Allen was benched.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8448694-74/blake-defensive-corner#ixzz3bVAcbxh1
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptySat May 30, 2015 11:39 am

This article, published the day after that last one, centers on Blake and expands on what they have planned for him, featuring a lovely Tweet:

Steelers Depot: Antwon Blake expanding role in defensive backfield
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/antwon-blake-expanding-role-in-defensive-backfield/

Chris Adamski wrote:
Antwon Blake says he can/will play:Slot, Outside, even as a virtual safety, depending on the package "Feel like I’m pretty much a hybrid DB"

The big reason I really like this tweet is that it backs up what I've been saying about this guy for the last 1/2 year. As soon as I saw his speed, strength, and abilities I thought there's a guy with a large amount of versatility, and I could totally see him rotating into safety, or even into LB while speed demon Shazier falls into deep coverage. Also, another role he hasn't been used in yet, which I'm also dying to see, is how he'll do as a blitzer, and I'm betting he'd be a terror on some corner/safety blitz packages. Boy, do I like this guy.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptySat May 30, 2015 11:54 am

Blake isn't the answer at starting corner. He's a good guy to have in sub packages like nickel and dime. In those cases he seems to be best at left outside and Cortez is rolling over to the right side, with Gay sliding inside to the slot.

Make no mistake, Senquez Gholson and Doran Grant are the future #2 and #3 CB's and Blake is a good bridge at #3 CB until Gholson likely elevates to that spot by week 8.
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptySun May 31, 2015 12:34 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Make no mistake, Senquez Gholson and Doran Grant are the future #2 and #3 CB's and Blake is a good bridge at #3 CB until Gholson likely elevates to that spot by week 8.

Be careful when boarding the hype train, and be sure to keep your arms, legs, and ego within the hype train at all times. Cortez and a few others have been VIPs aboard the prestigious hype train when it barrels into town, along with the complimentary pomp and circumstance billowing out of the exhaust pipes. So to me, everyone is hype until these guys take the field, and that's what I'm most interested in. As soon as the most recent departures from the train get on the NFL gridiron and start making plays, then that's when I'll put them in the conversation. And until then, they're just a hyped rookie......unless you've found a way to make speculation into reality, in which case I'd encourage you to endeavor into a career in politics asap.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptySun May 31, 2015 1:05 am

Steel Peon wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Be careful when boarding the hype train, and be sure to keep your arms, legs, and ego within the hype train at all times. Cortez and a few others have been VIPs aboard the prestigious hype train when it barrels into town, along with the complimentary pomp and circumstance billowing out of the exhaust pipes. So to me, everyone is hype until these guys take the field, and that's what I'm most interested in. As soon as the most recent departures from the train get on the NFL gridiron and start making plays, then that's when I'll put them in the conversation. And until then, they're just a hyped rookie......unless you've found a way to make speculation into reality, in which case I'd encourage you to endeavor into a career in politics asap.

Gholson is no 2nd round pick from Tusculum. He's a talented guy that is better playing off man than man to man and if he was 6'0" he would be a higher pick. If you watched any Big 10 football you will see that Grant is a solid corner that can at least be a nickel or dime guy.

Will Gay is on the wrong side of 30 and Blake is nothing more than a #3 CB at best and if the Steelers had signed Brice McCain, he would be the #4 right now. Unless Gholson and Grant get injured, they will be here for at least as long as the Steelers gave Curtis Brown to hang around, but more likely Gholson proves he's better than Blake by next season at the latest.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 2:00 pm

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib May 28 -

Who caught my eye through first week of Steelers OTAs? CB Antwon Blake and P Jordan Berry.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 9:51 pm

When the Steelers drafted cornerbacks Senquez Golson and Doran Grant last month, it seemed like veteran Antwon Blake, who was given a restricted-free-agent tender from the team earlier this offseason, would have an uphill climb to retain his starting status from 2014.

But now, with OTAs under way, it appears that Blake has a larger role to play on defense this year than initially expected. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Mark Kaboly and Chris Adamski reported last week that Blake has been working as an outside cornerback in the nickel defense with William Gay in the slot role.

In an ideal world, the Steelers would not have to field a pair of rookie cornerbacks as starters. And from the looks of what Blake is doing in OTAs thus far, it appears that he's locking down a starting job. As Blake said, "For the most part, I am an outside corner. I have been known to move around, but I feel like I am an outside corner, and that's what I like to do." It seems that is what the Steelers like him to do, as well.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2482182-pittsburgh-steelers-ota-standouts-worth-keeping-an-eye-on-this-offseason
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 2:37 pm

Steelers giving Blake opportunity to take corner role in secondary

By Mark Kaboly
Monday, June 1, 2015

The Steelers didn't put up much resistance to prevent Brice McCain from signing with the Dolphins and weren't interested in bringing back Ike Taylor.

They kicked the tires on potential free agent replacements and hinted toward using a first-round pick on a cornerback.

None of that happened, and the reason why is becoming more evident — they really like Antwon Blake.

“He is one heck of a player,” linebacker Jarvis Jones said.

Blake spent the first week of organized team activities as the left cornerback in the nickel defense, where he shadowed All-Pro receiver Antonio Brown and 6-foot-4 Martavis Bryant around the end zone.

More often than not, Blake, who stands 5-9, won those competitions.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8481465-74/blake-steelers-cornerback#ixzz3bvnI4dNO
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 12:21 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Blake is nothing more than a #3 CB at best and if the Steelers had signed Brice McCain, he would be the #4 right now.

Ever since I saw him on the field, I've been saying that Blake will be a potent (and versatile) weapon, and now it's not just me, so you've been outvoted......by the Steelers.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 5:11 pm

After a breakout year, are there bigger things in store for Antwon Blake?

Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015
By Chris Bradford

PITTSBURGH — Antwon Blake probably wasn't smiling in April when the Steelers drafted not one but two cornerbacks in this year's draft.

But he did crack a smile Wednesday over the recent consternation, at least among the fanbase, how one of those corners, 5-foot-8 1/2 Senquez Golson, is too short to play the position.You might recall that Blake, who stands just 5-9, handled the position pretty well last season after injury and ineffectiveness shelved Ike Taylor and Cortez Allen. The fourth-year pro finally showed he was more than just a special-teamer in 2014, a year of firsts for Blake. First career tackle. First pass defensed. First interception.

Still, that might not be enough to assure Blake of a starting job, though he has put himself at the top of the mix after an impressive spring...

to read rest of article:

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/after-a-breakout-year-are-there-bigger-things-in-store/article_6459f1ee-153d-11e5-b935-8771036c3d63.html
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 10:33 am

I think he showed his potential last year when he was in towards the end of the season.

I like what he showed then, and believe he certainly can obtain starter status on this team.

I hope he shows up in a big way for the defense this year.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 10:42 am

stlrtruck wrote:
I think he showed his potential last year when he was in towards the end of the season.

I like what he showed then, and believe he certainly can obtain starter status on this team.

I hope he shows up in a big way for the defense this year.

He has to. Someone has to, whether him or Allen or one of the rookies. Or else it's going to be a wasted year with a great offense and lackluster defense.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 8:55 pm

Steelers veteran cornerback looks to hold off rookies gunning for his job

June 19, 2015
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Antonio Brown returned a punt 71 yards for a touchdown early in the first quarter to stake the Steelers to an early lead in the regular-season finale against the Bengals in January. Ben Roethlisberger threw for 317 yards and two touchdowns, and Brice McCain had two interceptions en route to the 27-17 victory that clinched the AFC North division title.

But when the game was on the line late in the fourth quarter, one of the smallest players on the field made the biggest play of the contest. With Cincinnati driving toward a tying field goal or possibly a go-ahead touchdown, Antwon Blake, a 5-foot-9 cornerback who was pressed into action because of late-season injuries, stripped Pro Bowl receiver A.J. Green of the ball and recovered the fumble at the 30-yard line.

Three plays later, Roethlisberger threw a 63-yard touchdown pass to Brown. And minutes after that the Steelers were celebrating an AFC North title in the locker room.

Not only did the play help the Steelers win the division, but for Blake, it also served as a springboard into an important offseason in his young career.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/06/19/Veteran-cornerback-looks-to-hold-off-rookies-gunning-for-his-job-with-Pittsburgh-Steelers/stories/201506190112
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender   Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender Empty

Back to top Go down

Antwon Blake signs restricted free agent tender
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next