Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomePittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position

Go down 
+10
Stella Nation
Master_Of_Puppets
nikstar
BKAnthem
kirklandrules
stlrtruck
ImperialFan
effyou515
pczach
Buddha Bus
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position Empty
PostSubject: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptySun May 17, 2015 8:31 am

Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position
By Jeff.Hartman  @BnGBlitz on May 16, 2015, 7:45a 35

Earlier this week the Houston Texans released safety D.J. Swearinger from their roster. Reports swirled around why Swearinger, a solid safety in the NFL, was let go at this time of the year. Some stated it was Swearinger's attitude while others stated it was more of a financial move than anything else. Regardless, once released it was open season for teams to put in a waiver claim on the experienced safety.

Eight teams wanted Swearinger on their roster, and the Pittsburgh Steelers were one of those eight teams. When seeing this information being broadcast on social media, I had to wonder what the Steelers might be thinking trying to bring Swearinger into the fold. After all, despite Troy Polamalu's retirement, the team's safety depth chart seems to be set heading into 2015, but the organization is obviously keeping their options open which speaks volumes about how they feel about their current crop of safeties.

Polamalu was a legend, there is no way around this simple fact, but the the team showing interest in the 2013 second round talent from the Texans tells me they are not sold on Shamarko Thomas, Mike Mitchell, Will Allen and even Gerod Holliman as a group.

(Read More:) http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/5/16/8614723/pittsburgh-steelers-reported-waiver-claim-for-d-j-swearinger-speaks

Back to top Go down
pczach

pczach

Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptySun May 17, 2015 9:54 am

Why in the world would they be sold on any of them. They haven't done anything yet to prove that they are long-term answers.

I think this article is missing the point. The Steelers made a waiver claim on a guy that was pretty highly regarded coming out of college, and has played in the league. I look at it as a smart move by a team looking to add talent in the secondary. The more bodies the better. There are more than a few young, unproven players in the secondary. Adding someone they feel may fit their defensive scheme with NFL experience doesn't seem like a bad move to me.

We'll find out how much talent is really in the secondary, and particularly the safety position, by the second half of the season. By that time, you should see if Mitchell and Thomas are going to be effective players, or if they have other people coming in to become the starters and future of the position.

Let's hope the players they have and the players added through the draft become what they hoped they would be, and become difference-makers for them. If they do, this team could get scary good very soon.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptySun May 17, 2015 9:37 pm

pczach wrote:
Why in the world would they be sold on any of them. They haven't done anything yet to prove that they are long-term answers.

I think this article is missing the point. The Steelers made a waiver claim on a guy that was pretty highly regarded coming out of college, and has played in the league. I look at it as a smart move by a team looking to add talent in the secondary. The more bodies the better. There are more than a few young, unproven players in the secondary. Adding someone they feel may fit their defensive scheme with NFL experience doesn't seem like a bad move to me.

We'll find out how much talent is really in the secondary, and particularly the safety position, by the second half of the season. By that time, you should see if Mitchell and Thomas are going to be effective players, or if they have other people coming in to become the starters and future of the position.

Let's hope the players they have and the players added through the draft become what they hoped they would be, and become difference-makers for them. If they do, this team could get scary good very soon.

^^^ what this dude said.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptySun May 17, 2015 9:44 pm

effyou515 wrote:
pczach wrote:

^^^ what this dude said.

^^^ what that dude said

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyMon May 18, 2015 9:55 am

The front office seems to be able to find some veteran's to help secure some weak spots. Let's face it, the team has some weak spots in the secondary.

While some veteran's don't work out, I believe the FO, more times than not are correct in their pursuit of players that can make an impact at some point during the season and help reload this team for another run at #7.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyMon May 18, 2015 10:55 am

This is one move that I'm a little leary of. Swearinger was a problem at South Carolina and wasn't making friends in Texas. His pitbull bit Clowney earlier this year. Yeah, he's talented alright, but it comes at a price. The Texans tried to trade him but couldn't get any offers.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyMon May 18, 2015 11:18 am

kirklandrules wrote:
This is one move that I'm a little leary of. Swearinger was a problem at South Carolina and wasn't making friends in Texas. His pitbull bit Clowney earlier this year. Yeah, he's talented alright, but it comes at a price. The Texans tried to trade him but couldn't get any offers.

We've seen it before though. Players with issues that come to the locker room and for whatever reason they change their evil ways.

I'm not saying there's not reason for a yellow flag, or even a red flag, but maybe just maybe this is the change of environment he needs.

I'll at least hope (for now).

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyMon May 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Speaks Volumes about the FO's evaluation skills when it comes to drafting quality DB's
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyMon May 18, 2015 12:08 pm

It's okay guys. Swearinger was claimed by Tampa Bay. The article was just pointing out that the Steelers had submitted a waiver claim on him and wanted to pose the question of how confident the Steelers are in their current crop of safeties.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyMon May 18, 2015 12:10 pm

BKAnthem wrote:
Speaks Volumes about the FO's evaluation skills when it comes to drafting quality DB's

What, like Troy Polamalu, Ike Taylor, Deshea Townsend, and Keenan Lewis?

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyMon May 18, 2015 1:06 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
It's okay guys. Swearinger was claimed by Tampa Bay. The article was just pointing out that the Steelers had submitted a waiver claim on him and wanted to pose the question of how confident the Steelers are in their current crop of safeties.

Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position 190127080 Phew! Living in Charlotte, you hear more than your fair share of news on the surrounding football teams. His name was brought up several times when he was with the Gamecocks. He is a very talented player, but he had the appearance that he was nothing but trouble off the field. I imagine they would have been able to pick him up with very little risk if they needed to drop him. But now we don't have to worry about it.
Back to top Go down
nikstar
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyMon May 18, 2015 2:01 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

None of which are still on the team. Keenan being the only one left in the league.

Troy is an anomaly and there will never be another one. Ike and Deshea were serviceable corners on Superbowl teams, and Keenan Lewis at least IMO falls somewhere between a serviceable corner and a stud.

He was groomed by one of the best defensive minds in the history of the sport (Lebeau) and learned under Carnell Lake. I am not a GM and I'm sure there were more contract disputes and more to the story then I heard. But if Keenan is as talented as I'm trying to make him sound, it doesn't really prove FO's evaluation skills because we let him walk to another team.

Ofcourse that might just have something to do with the Steelers historical neglect of paying the CB position. It's worked out pretty well over the last decade.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyMon May 18, 2015 5:24 pm

nikstar wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

None of which are still on the team. Keenan being the only one left in the league.

Troy is an anomaly and there will never be another one. Ike and Deshea were serviceable corners on Superbowl teams, and Keenan Lewis at least IMO falls somewhere between a serviceable corner and a stud.

He was groomed by one of the best defensive minds in the history of the sport (Lebeau) and learned under Carnell Lake. I am not a GM and I'm sure there were more contract disputes and more to the story then I heard. But if Keenan is as talented as I'm trying to make him sound, it doesn't really prove FO's evaluation skills because we let him walk to another team.

Ofcourse that might just have something to do with the Steelers historical neglect of paying the CB position. It's worked out pretty well over the last decade.  

It doesn't matter that they aren't still on the team. The team evaluated and drafted them didn't they? They even traded up to snag Polamalu who was a once in a lifetime player so they definitely were able to see his abilities as a DB and determine that he was worth the price of trading up.

Ike was more than a "serviceable" DB. He was a fourth round draft pick who locked down one of our starting corner positions for years as a shutdown type of corner, albeit with suspect hands. I'll take that kind of return on a fourth rounder any day of the week. Great value where he was selected considering his contributions and longevity.

Deshea was a solid, if unspectacular CB for us too. Another fourth rounder who served 10 years with us and contributed a lot to the defense. Nothing to scoff at.

And for the love of God, how many times does it have to be said that Keenan Lewis CHOSE to leave the Steelers. He wanted to play for his hometown in New Orleans. There were also rumblings of him being part of a bad locker room atmosphere that aided in the Steelers not wanting to try to overpay to keep him. This fallacy that the Steelers just let him walk for no reason and that he could have been kept at a hometown discount are ridiculous and tiresome. He wanted to go and the Steelers obliged. That also does not take away from their initial evaluation of him as a player though.

I still think it's possible that Cortez Allen could finally get it. They obviously saw something in the guy to sign him to that contract. Admittedly, he hasn't put it all together yet, but even Troy struggled his first year, Lewis for 3 years, and Ike had ups and downs during his at one time getting benched.

Not all draftees are going to be hits. Let's not try to rewrite history and act as though the Steelers have no clue whatsoever when it comes to drafting DBs. It just isn't true and was all I was trying to point out. I agree that the secondary needs help and badly right now, but I'm not going to shit all over the front office with near-sighted malarky either.

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyMon May 18, 2015 7:00 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

even a broken clock is right twice a day. add some balance and list the fails ,i bet the list is much longer ... Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position 1797695198
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyMon May 18, 2015 7:41 pm

Let's not forget that since the day Bill Cowher walked through the doors, the Steelers defensive philosophy has been about pressuring the QB with their linebackers. Therefore, their focus has primarily been on those 4 spots. The argument that they are inept at identifying good DB talent is about as accurate as saying they don't know how to develop defensive linemen.

And since good DBs don't grow on trees, every team has a much longer list of underwhelming players versus successes.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyMon May 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

even a broken clock is right twice a day. add some balance and list the fails ,i bet the list is much longer ... Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position 1797695198

I would say you could go through and list every player at every position on every team in the past 20 years and the list of failures compared to successes would be much greater. That doesn't prove that teams are bad at finding talent at those particular positions, just that it's difficult to find great players consistently.

Granted, some teams may be better at identifying great players at specific positions (like the Steelers at linebacker) and some may be historically bad in certain areas (like the Browns at QB). I just fail to see where the Steelers could be considered horrible at drafting DBs, especially when you factor in their defensive philosophy, their targeting/stockpiling of linebackers, and their average draft position over the past 20 years. Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position 2087824411

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyTue May 19, 2015 5:21 am

I think safety will be the top priority in the next draft. If a good one is available at least.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyTue May 19, 2015 7:10 am

I still wish we would have gotten Ha Ha Clinton-Dix last year.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyTue May 19, 2015 4:47 pm

SteelByDesign: Reports are that the Steelers made a claim on DJ Swearinger. Is this any indication that they're not all that confident in Mitchell or Thomas?

Ray Fittipaldo: Swearinger is more of a strong safety than a free safety so I would say it speaks more to their concern about Thomas, which is understandable because he hasn't done it yet. Swearinger has been a starter in the league. Thomas has not although I wouldn't necessarily view it as they are completely dissatisfied with Thomas as much as they were trying to upgrade their talent at the position.

Walt Hous: Swearinger was literally one of the worst safeties in the league last year. Is he a case of fans thinking Free Agents are all great? Why chose him over what we have?

Ray Fittipaldo: He was a high draft pick and teams might figure they could work with him. The Steelers weren't the only team to put in a waiver claim. Seven other teams did as well.

Air Brady: Ray The Steelers Seem to be a Sharmarko Thomas Injury away from Being in tatters at . What would they do then?

Ray Fittipaldo: Will Allen was re-signed. They seem very comfortable with him as a short-term replacement.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/05/18/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-5-18-15/stories/201505180152
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyWed May 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

More Like ;

Curtis Brown
Terry Hawthorne
Shaq Richardson
Joe Burnett
Ryan Mundy
Anthony Smith
Bryant Mcfadden
Ricardo Coclough
Hank Poteat
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyWed May 20, 2015 4:37 pm

BKAnthem wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

More Like ;

Curtis Brown
Terry Hawthorne
Shaq Richardson
Joe Burnett
Ryan Mundy
Anthony Smith
Bryant Mcfadden
Ricardo Coclough
Hank Poteat

Once again, I challenge anyone to go through a list of ANY team's positions for the past decade or so and look up every draft pick they've had at that position and you'll probably find generally the same success to failure rate. But to claim that the Steelers have absolutely no clue how to draft at the position is flat out false. Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position 2087824411

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyWed May 20, 2015 5:04 pm

BKAnthem wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

More Like ;

Curtis Brown
Terry Hawthorne
Shaq Richardson
Joe Burnett
Ryan Mundy
Anthony Smith
Bryant Mcfadden
Ricardo Coclough
Hank Poteat

Ryan Mundy wasn't a total bust. And keep in mind who was ahead of him on the depth chart (Troy and R. Clark), not like the door was wide open for him. He signed for starter money with the NYG. No he's not all-pro, but I wouldn't say he was a bust.

Bryant Mcfadden was serviceable. Again, I wouldn't call him a bust even if he was an all-pro.

Hank Poteat was a special teams player with very little thought to him being a full time corner.

So yes, Coclough washed out. Anthony Smith had talent but was a thug. Joe Burnett - bust. Brown, Hawthorne and Richardson - bust ... although keep in mind if you're draft beyond the 4th round, it's not like you'll have a great shot at being a starter.
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyWed May 20, 2015 8:29 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

More Like ;

Curtis Brown
Terry Hawthorne
Shaq Richardson
Joe Burnett
Ryan Mundy
Anthony Smith
Bryant Mcfadden
Ricardo Coclough
Hank Poteat

Ryan Mundy wasn't a total bust. And keep in mind who was ahead of him on the depth chart (Troy and R. Clark), not like the door was wide open for him. He signed for starter money with the NYG. No he's not all-pro, but I wouldn't say he was a bust.

Bryant Mcfadden was serviceable. Again, I wouldn't call him a bust even if he was an all-pro.

Hank Poteat was a special teams player with very little thought to him being a full time corner.

So yes, Coclough washed out. Anthony Smith had talent but was a thug. Joe Burnett - bust. Brown, Hawthorne and Richardson - bust ... although keep in mind if you're draft beyond the 4th round, it's not like you'll have a great shot at being a starter.

Mundy was a scrub with the Giants i live in NYC, Mcfadden got exposed in AZ, and poteat was a 3rd rounder, kinda high for as "special teamer".... and that is correct if you draft DB's beyond the 4th round you will get crap...so why not invest a high round pick in a good one? Troy turned out to alright...
Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyWed May 20, 2015 9:17 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:

More Like ;

Curtis Brown
Terry Hawthorne
Shaq Richardson
Joe Burnett
Ryan Mundy
Anthony Smith
Bryant Mcfadden
Ricardo Coclough
Hank Poteat

Once again, I challenge anyone to go through a list of ANY team's positions for the past decade or so and look up every draft pick they've had at that position and you'll probably find generally the same success to failure rate. But to claim that the Steelers have absolutely no clue how to draft at the position is flat out false. Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position 2087824411

That sounds like way to much work. I'd rather just bitch about things instead

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position EmptyWed May 20, 2015 9:33 pm

people are looking into this way too much. basically:

Safety Depth = need
Veteran safety on the waiver wire = go for it

he wouldn't cost much so it's not like there's anything to lose by trying
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position   Pittsburgh Steelers reported waiver claim for D.J. Swearinger speaks volumes about safety position Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next