Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIt's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.

Go down 
+33
OX1947
SoCalFan
Atlanta Dan
DesertSteel
harrison'samonster
BlackAndGold
Steel Peon
SteelerFreak58
pczach
Stella Nation
SteelerEmpire
vasteeler
ImperialFan
stlrtruck
jak341
Fire Arians
El-Gonzo Jackson
FrancoLambert
effyou515
IowaSteeler927
EbonySteel86
solardave
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Master_Of_Puppets
Pappy
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
kirklandrules
SteelersYak
Lokki
steelcrazy
WVABE
Hawaii 5-0
Buddha Bus
37 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. Empty
PostSubject: What fans can expect from Steelers RB/WR Dri Archer in 2015   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 9:28 am

What fans can expect from Steelers RB/WR Dri Archer in 2015
By Jeff.Hartman  @BnGBlitz on Apr 25, 2015, 8:05a 47

After a disappointing rookie season, fans should expect an expanded role for Dri Archer in 2015, and why that could equate to offensive success next season.

As those words were announced last season at the NFL Draft, it nearly broke the internet as fans lamented the fact of their favorite team spending a third round draft pick on someone most dubbed as a gimmick player. Small for a running back in the NFL, Archer possesses something Steelers' offensive coordinator Todd Haley loves - speed.

With the fastest 40-yard dash time in the 2014 Scouting Combine, and the second fastest 40-yard dash time in combine history, Archer has speed and then some. The only issue is the Steelers were unable to harness his speed in any capacity last season.

Archer was absolutely amazing in college at returning kickoffs. Get him in space and watch him work. In the NFL, not so much. Not only have the rules in place been made to essentially eliminate the kickoff from the pro game, on the outside chance Archer was given the chance to return a kickoff it wasn't pretty. By season's end, Markus Wheaton was manning the kickoff return duties.

In the standard 11-on-11 offense, Archer also seemed to stand out like a sore thumb in specific situations. Haley never seemed to get Archer into space after two plays in the preseason sparked fans' interest as they saw the young rookie utilize his speed and elusiveness to give the offense a dynamic edge which hasn't been seen in years. However, when the regular season started those opportunities were slim to none, and even times where Archer was streaking down the sideline wide open, there wasn't much trust between quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Archer.

So, on to 2015. What can we expect from Archer next season? Expect an expanded role in many capacities for No. 13. Mike Tomlin hinted at the annual owner's meeting he is going to give Archer a chance to win the kickoff duties, and possibly the punt return duties as well. I wouldn't hold my breath with the punt return duties, but could see him rebounding and handling kickoffs in 2015.

(Read More:) http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/4/25/8495823/what-fans-can-expect-from-steelers-rb-wr-dri-archer-in-2015

Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 3:29 pm

It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. DONT-STOP-BELIEVING_o_96481
Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 4:24 pm

We have to find out what he's made of and that won't happen sitting on the sidelines. He needs playing time and have the shit knocked out of him but not hurt so he can gain some confidence.
I trust Haley enough where he'll put a smile on Archer's face like AB has.

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 4:42 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Only the young can say, but I will keep believing faithfully. You can look at it any way you want it and if we don't agree, we can go our separate ways (world's apart) and I'll be alright without you. If you choose to come around to my way of thinking, I'll ask who's crying now and welcome you back with open arms. Just don't try any cheap lovin', touchin', squeezin' on me. You can go wait till you're alone and be good to yourself. Wheel in the sky.

Back to top Go down
steelcrazy

steelcrazy

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 9:31 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Only the young can say, but I will keep believing faithfully. You can look at it any way you want it and if we don't agree, we can go our separate ways (world's apart) and I'll be alright without you. If you choose to come around to my way of thinking, I'll ask who's crying now and welcome you back with open arms. Just don't try any cheap lovin', touchin', squeezin' on me. You can go wait till you're alone and be good to yourself. Wheel in the sky.
well played sir..well played It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. 1647293567

Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 6:42 am

It's time to shut up about Dri Archer! It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. 2981382511
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 8:55 am

I liked Rainey when we drafted him but his off the field issues lead to a short stay in Pittsburgh. I feel like Dri is a similar type of player (hopefully without the off the field stuff) and could really become a threat.

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 12:49 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
I liked Rainey when we drafted him but his off the field issues lead to a short stay in Pittsburgh. I feel like Dri is a similar type of player (hopefully without the off the field stuff) and could really become a threat.

Agreed Yak. I think Archer has better threat potential than Rainey did .. he's just that fast. Anyways, I'm sick of hearing people bash the kid ... he was a rookie, sorry he didn't blow up the league last year.

Hence I agree with Lokki ...

Lokki wrote:
It's time to shut up about Dri Archer! It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. 2981382511
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 1:07 pm

Way too early to write him off. Hoping for a solid sophomore campaign for Dri.
Back to top Go down
Pappy
Xtreme Newb
Pappy

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 3:17 pm

WVABE wrote:
We have to find out what he's made of and that won't happen sitting on the sidelines. He needs playing time and have the shit knocked out of him but not hurt so he can gain some confidence.
I trust Haley enough where he'll put a smile on Archer's face like AB has.

Shocked
I agree with you. He needs a good dose of self confidence. Once he believes he belongs, I think his speed and cutting ability could become a great asset. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 4:46 pm

I agree with the article that they might need to use Dri as more of a WR than a RB. I just don't think he has enough size to be a RB at the NFL level. I could see him being an asset as a slot receiver though. Get him in space or use him out of the backfield as a receiver and things could be very interesting. Not sure how he'll do returning punts, but I'm all for getting our #1 WR out of that role before it costs us big time with a serious injury (even though he's great at it). I don't see Dri being much of a factor in the kick return game as Goodell has effectively destroyed that part of the game by moving kickoffs up which sucks.

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 7:21 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
.(even though he's great at it). I don't see Dri being much of a factor in the kick return game as Goodell has effectively destroyed that part of the game by moving kickoffs up which sucks.
sucked for who ? the steelers ? It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. 3562723908

i disagree. in the past decade , the KO return for TD by the steelers VS the KO return for the opponents is probably at least 10 - 1 in favor of the opponents if not more. It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. 1505004552
i dreaded every time the steelers kicked off. It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. 190127080
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 7:28 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
.(even though he's great at it). I don't see Dri being much of a factor in the kick return game as Goodell has effectively destroyed that part of the game by moving kickoffs up which sucks.
sucked for who ? the steelers ? It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. 3562723908

i disagree. in the past decade , the KO return for TD by the steelers VS the KO return for the opponents is probably at least 10 - 1 in favor of the opponents if not more.  It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. 1505004552
i dreaded every time the steelers kicked off.  It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. 190127080

I know we probably benefitted from the rule change as a team since Sushi can't seem to kick it deep, but I was talking about the game in general. It has definitely made the kickoff every bit as boring as an extra point when almost everyone gets a touchback. I'd rather the Steelers fix their special teams flaws and the game be more exciting personally.

Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 7:38 pm

Stop giving Goodell little inches cuz hes gonna take a mile. Already talking about expanded playoffs and PAT tweaks and 5 minute breaks to cry and hug their mothers and just tweaks tweaks tweaks.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 7:40 pm

now teams get 108 yd return TD's instead of 95 yarders ... It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 7:41 pm

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
Stop giving Goodell little inches cuz hes gonna take a mile. Already talking about expanded playoffs and PAT tweaks and 5 minute breaks to cry and hug their mothers and just tweaks tweaks tweaks.
It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. Tweak-004
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 3:57 am

I didn't think Haley use Archer in an effective way last year. He needs to be out in space sneaking out of the backfield after a chip block to sell it. I don't get to watch a lot of games but the ones I did see and he was in there wasn't much other than handing off to him. Hit him on the fly so he can get his speed up and then watch what happens. I'd also like to see him get a second chance at returns.
Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 6:55 pm

Dri was nice in pre season! Showed alot of flash, and then......nothing! Honestly I think Haley was scared to death to take Bell off the field at all, leaving very little opportunities for Dri. Hopefully Haley can get him involved early and often without jeopardizing Bell's touches. Or just make him a slot receiver and have him AND Bell on the field.....yeah, that's the ticket!!!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 7:00 pm

EbonySteel86 wrote:
Dri was nice in pre season! Showed alot of flash, and then......nothing! Honestly I think Haley was scared to death to take Bell off the field at all, leaving very little opportunities for Dri. Hopefully Haley can get him involved early and often without jeopardizing Bell's touches. Or just make him a slot receiver and have him AND Bell on the field.....yeah, that's the ticket!!!

I actually thought the original plan for Archer when they drafted him was to use him as a hybrid RB/WR anyway. Instead, they used him like a 265 lbs. between the tackles short yardage back. Made no sense to see him run it up the middle all the time. If you're going to use him in the run game, how about swinging something outside or a pitch out to get him in space and trying to outrun people? Using him like he's Jerome Bettis made no sense.

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 6:01 am

Need to utilize him more in passing situations where he can sneak out of the backfield. I don't think Archer got much of a fair shake last season.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 7:38 am

he sucked as a kick returner which didn't get him many snaps on offense.

if he gets better as a kick returner which will earn him more offensive snaps.

think the #1 reason he was drafted was he's speed for kickoff returns.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptySun May 31, 2015 2:08 pm

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora
Alex Kozora retweeted Steelers Depot -

Defending Dri Archer may be a crime around these parts but I attempt to do it. Poor Blocking Aides In Dri Archer’s Return Woes

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/steelers-all-22-poor-blocking-aides-in-dri-archers-return-woes/ …
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptySun May 31, 2015 2:37 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. Tweak-004

Oh. I'm tweakin' all right. It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. 1645253483
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptySun May 31, 2015 9:22 pm

He didn't look like he was ready for the NFL last year.
With his speed he has to be some kind of a return man.
If he can't cut it as a returner what's the point of having him.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Steelers speedster Archer aims to find home in 2nd season

By Mark Kaboly
Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Dri Archer is fast, clocking 4.26 seconds in the 40-yard dash fast — two-hundredths of a second short of the fastest time recorded at an NFL Scouting Combine.

That world-class speed ultimately was the reason the Steelers used their third-round pick on the diminutive all-purpose back a season ago.

Coincidentally, it also was one of the factors that contributed to Archer's disappointing rookie season, at least when it came to what he did best at Kent State: return kickoffs.

Archer, it turned out, was too fast. Now he is taking time before and after organized team activities with special teams coach Danny Smith to slow down.

“It was more about me running instead of reading (last year),” Archer said. “I was supposed to set stuff up, but I was just out there running. There is more to it that just running fast.”

Archer, who averaged nearly 37 yards per return during his junior season, was removed from kickoff returns midway through the season.

His inability to adjust was a microcosm of his rookie season. Archer managed only 10 rushes and seven receptions in 12 games. He missed two games with an ankle injury and two late in the season because of a coach's decision.

Archer played double-digit snaps only twice all season: the first game against the Cleveland Browns and the playoff loss against the Baltimore Ravens.

Still, the Steelers aren't about to write off Archer.

“I have always thought he is a guy who can help us out,” Antonio Brown said. “He is an asset. He can catch the ball out of the backfield and run it between the tackles. He can find a niche where he can help us out.”

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8480463-74/archer-season-running#ixzz3c7c3cL6A
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.   It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer. Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Time to Shut Up About Dri Archer.
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next