Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJames Harrison wants to play one more year - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

James Harrison wants to play one more year

Go down 
+22
stlrtruck
FanSince72
steelcrazy
steelers5895
FrancoLambert
Atlanta Dan
WVABE
El-Gonzo Jackson
SteelCity4Life
HeinzMustard
LambertLunatic
Buddha Bus
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
steelcityboyz
Fire Arians
The_Joker
Stella Nation
pczach
Wallace108
IowaSteeler927
ImperialFan
Hawaii 5-0
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

James Harrison wants to play one more year - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Harrison wants to play one more year   James Harrison wants to play one more year - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2016 9:02 am

BlackAndGold wrote:
If James does indeed come back, do they take an OLB high in the draft?

They usually keep 4 OLB. Harrison, Jones, Dupree & Moats are locks

If one is there, I think they might. Harrison gone in 2017 and maybe Jarvis Jones too. My bet is they keep 5 OLB on the roster, knowing they are losing one or 2 the following season.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison wants to play one more year   James Harrison wants to play one more year - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2016 12:54 pm

Harrison’s return is still to be determined

February 16, 2016
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

James Harrison wants to play one more year - Page 3 9ej00kjx-JPG

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said he believes outside linebacker James Harrison will return for the 2016 season. And he left no doubt the Steelers would like to have him back.

“I wouldn’t see any reason why we wouldn’t want to have James here,” Colbert said.

But, even though Bill Parise, Harrison’s agent, told several media outlets, including the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, his client will return for one more season, there is still some doubt whether that will happen.

According to Risa Bayalem, Harrison’s business and public relations manager, Harrison told her late Tuesday afternoon he won’t return for one final season until he determines he can give 100 percent on the playing field. And he won’t determine that, in all likelihood, for several months.

Harrison, who will be 38 in May, was in Phoenix Tuesday meeting with his trainer to set up his offseason workout regimen and start the process of making that determination. He was unavailable for comment, but told Bayalem about his apprehension before boarding a plane back to Pittsburgh.

“If he’s not able to give 100 percent, he wouldn’t be doing justice to himself or the Steelers or his teammates,” Bayalem said. “Even if he feels he wants to come back, his age and his body are going to tell him whether that’s possible or not.

“His process right now is go through offseason training in Arizona. If his body is where he feels it needs to be, he’ll proceed.”

If Harrison returns for his 14th NFL season, the Steelers intend to use him more in run situations, which is his strength. He finished the regular season with five sacks — his fewest total with the Steelers since he became a starter in 2007 — but he had a sack in each of the postseason games against the Cincinnati Bengals and Denver Broncos.

Harrison is in the final year of a two-year contract which will count $1.5 million against the salary cap.

“James came back, and he did a great job,” Colbert said Tuesday at a meeting with media members who will be covering the NFL combine that begins next week in Indianapolis. “Not only on the field, but he was really a great mentor to our younger players, not only the outside linebackers but everybody. He quietly inspired those guys. The way he goes about his business every day when he is in the building, he teaches those guys how to be pros without doing it intentionally.”

Meantime, Colbert said the team’s salary-cap situation is “pretty good” compared to other years and doesn’t anticipate “a lot of drastic changes” to get in compliance with cap projections for the 2016 season.

Colbert said the cap situation wouldn’t have any significant impact on the Steelers signing outside players in free agency, but added, “We want to stay the course, as best we can, with our own guys.”

The Post-Gazette reported last week the Steelers are $2.5 million over the projected salary cap for 2016, according to a league source familiar with their salary situation. While that is not an alarmingly high number, it is in contrast to the reports by several websites that the team is anywhere from $6 million to $8 million under the cap.

Colbert did not seem concerned.

“If there is a guy on the outside who makes us better, we’ll plug him in,” Colbert said. “But our big play is keeping our own.”

The Steelers’ top priority in the offseason is rebuilding and strengthening their secondary, which finished 30th in the league against the pass in the 2015 season. But both starting cornerbacks, William Gay and Antwon Blake, and strong safety Will Allen are unrestricted free agents, as is nickel back Brandon Boykin.

Colbert said each of those players are under consideration to be re-signed, including Boykin.

“He helped us down the stretch,” Colbert said. “He’ll definitely be option [to re-sign] for us.”

As far as the draft, Colbert said the secondary talent at the combine “looks to be a deep position ... better than it has been.” He also said he is not concerned the Steelers don’t have a fifth- and sixth-round draft pick because they view Senquez Golson, the No. 2 pick a year ago who spent the season on injured reserve, as an extra draft choice this year.

He said the Steelers effectively will have eight draft picks if they count Golson and the compensatory pick they expect to get for losing cornerback Brice McCain in free agency last year. The Steelers picked up a seventh-round choice from the New York Giants when they traded punter Brad Wing.

“I believe we will net probably about the same number,” Colbert said. “So it hasn’t changed our thinking.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/02/16/Steelers-GM-Kevin-Colbert-believes-James-Harrison-will-return-in-2016/stories/201602160216
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison wants to play one more year   James Harrison wants to play one more year - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2016 1:18 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

If one is there, I think they might.  Harrison gone in 2017 and maybe Jarvis Jones too.  My bet is they keep 5 OLB on the roster, knowing they are losing one or 2 the following season.

This is a year I'd be surprised if they took an OLB in the draft. With Chickillo, they have 5 OLBs and I don't think they are going to dump any of those 5 prior to the season. Plus, they have fewer picks than in most years, so they have to focus on some key positions that need depth in 2016 (CB, S, DE, G, TE). But you might just be right ... it is the Steelers and they don't pass up many opportunities to pick up LBs when they can.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison wants to play one more year   James Harrison wants to play one more year - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 1:24 am

kirklandrules wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

If one is there, I think they might.  Harrison gone in 2017 and maybe Jarvis Jones too.  My bet is they keep 5 OLB on the roster, knowing they are losing one or 2 the following season.

This is a year I'd be surprised if they took an OLB in the draft. With Chickillo, they have 5 OLBs and I don't think they are going to dump any of those 5 prior to the season. Plus, they have fewer picks than in most years, so they have to focus on some key positions that need depth in 2016 (CB, S, DE, G, TE). But you might just be right ... it is the Steelers and they don't pass up many opportunities to pick up LBs when they can.

If Harrison is back, I don't think they will be pressed to take an OLB. I think they like Chickillo, but still, if a good OLB project is there in the 4th....maybe they take him and there is another camp battle for the 5th OLB. I agree that we need CB, S, TE and more D line depth if McLendon isn't signed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison wants to play one more year   James Harrison wants to play one more year - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

James Harrison wants to play one more year
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3