Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle

Go down 
+33
Stryker
Lokki
Stella Nation
fer69
EbonySteel86
SteelersNorth
SteelersYak
LambertWardSteel
SteelerSpartan
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Steeler-in-west
Atlanta Dan
SteelCityUnderground
BKAnthem
kirklandrules
SteelersCanada
OX1947
FrancoLambert
jak341
El-Gonzo Jackson
steelers5895
Wallace108
harrison'samonster
Buddha Bus
Rhyno
pczach
IowaSteeler927
kan_t
SteelerFreak58
Fire Arians
PhantomJB93
BlackAndGold
Hawaii 5-0
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 11:45 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Chargers Free Agent S Eric Weddle Believes He Has ‘Three To Five Years’ Left In Him

BY DAVE BRYAN MARCH 7, 2016

Now that the legal free agent tampering period is underway around the NFL, speculation as to where San Diego Chargers safety Eric Weddle will wind up playing in 2016 is beginning to pick up even more. During his weekly MMQB post, Peter King recapped a recent talk he had with Weddle.

“I’ve got three to five years left in me,” Weddle said Saturday, according to King. “I want to go somewhere I have a chance to win a Super Bowl. Until last year I’ve never been injured. I’ve never had surgery. I don’t drink, I don’t go out. My shoulders, back, legs, hip, they’re all fine. I think I bring a lot to a team.”

Weddle, who turned 31 in January, apparently has given a lot of thought to the possibility of him signing with the New England Patriots**.

“It would be funny if I ended up there,” Weddle told King of him possibly playing in New England next season. “We’ve played them so many times. The thing I like about them is they don’t have an ego. It’s insane to think about how good they’ve been. I’ve been to just one AFC championship game. They’ve been there every year. You respect it, you envy it, you admire it.”

If you are hoping Weddle signs with the Pittsburgh Steelers, King reports that the veteran safety spoke “longingly” of not only them, but the Oakland Raiders and Carolina Panthers as well as he also sees those teams as possible destinations for him very soon.

Now that the Kansas City Chiefs have placed the franchise tag on safety Eric Berry, Weddle figures to be the most sought after safety on the free agent market starting Wednesday evening. Because of that, several anticipate his value to be right around $8 million a season. If that turns out to be the case, one could easily speculate that Weddle would be too expensive for the Steelers.

Being as the Raiders have a ton of cap space to work with this offseason, one would think that they will make a serious push for Weddle.

The Steelers were able to shore-up their safety position some on Monday by re-signing Robert Goldento a three-year, $5 million contract. Golden, however, is not currently a lock to start alongside Mike Mitchell next season.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03...ve-years-left/

Raiders? I thought he wanted a chance at a ring. Raiders aren't close.
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 11:49 pm

Steeler-in-west wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Chargers Free Agent S Eric Weddle Believes He Has ‘Three To Five Years’ Left In Him

Now that the legal free agent tampering period is underway around the NFL, speculation as to where San Diego Chargers safety Eric Weddle will wind up playing in 2016 is beginning to pick up even more. During his weekly MMQB post, Peter King recapped a recent talk he had with Weddle.

“I’ve got three to five years left in me,” Weddle said Saturday, according to King. “I want to go somewhere I have a chance to win a Super Bowl. Until last year I’ve never been injured. I’ve never had surgery. I don’t drink, I don’t go out. My shoulders, back, legs, hip, they’re all fine. I think I bring a lot to a team.”

Weddle, who turned 31 in January, apparently has given a lot of thought to the possibility of him signing with the New England Patriots****.

“It would be funny if I ended up there,” Weddle told King of him possibly playing in New England next season. “We’ve played them so many times. The thing I like about them is they don’t have an ego. It’s insane to think about how good they’ve been. I’ve been to just one AFC championship game. They’ve been there every year. You respect it, you envy it, you admire it.”

If you are hoping Weddle signs with the Pittsburgh Steelers, King reports that the veteran safety spoke “longingly” of not only them, but the Oakland Raiders and Carolina Panthers as well as he also sees those teams as possible destinations for him very soon.

Now that the Kansas City Chiefs have placed the franchise tag on safety Eric Berry, Weddle figures to be the most sought after safety on the free agent market starting Wednesday evening. Because of that, several anticipate his value to be right around $8 million a season. If that turns out to be the case, one could easily speculate that Weddle would be too expensive for the Steelers.

Being as the Raiders have a ton of cap space to work with this offseason, one would think that they will make a serious push for Weddle.

The Steelers were able to shore-up their safety position some on Monday by re-signing Robert Goldento a three-year, $5 million contract. Golden, however, is not currently a lock to start alongside Mike Mitchell next season.

No theyre not but I think they might get to the playoffs next year. Idk. Carr didnt look half bad picking up our blitzes and just his genera qb play. Then again Manziel looked great against our pass D and he was probably hammered so what do I know.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 12:08 am

Mitchell, Golden, Sharknado under contract. Look to see who they add in FA or the draft. My guess is the draft or 2nd tier free agent. OR both and Shamarko gets cut in camp.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 12:17 am

KeepHarrisonTilHes92 wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Weddle, who turned 31 in January, apparently has given a lot of thought to the possibility of him signing with the New England Patriots*****.

No theyre not but I think they might get to the playoffs next year. Idk. Carr didnt look half bad picking up our blitzes and just his genera qb play. Then again Manziel looked great against our pass D and he was probably hammered so what do I know.

I kind of agree. they'll be better, but they've got Denver (with that D) and KC ahead of them. i'm on the fence with Weddle. I'd be great to have a safety of his caliber but i don't want the steelers to overpay. We get a top S in the draft and our CB's are Gay, Golson, Cockrell and Boykin(?) and i think were good.
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 4:23 am

I wonder if the Steelers are interested in Dashon Goldson who is just cut by the Redskins. Given his age and weak coverage skill, he is not going to get much in open market. But he seems like a good fit for the Steelers who are looking for a SS who is physical and good at stopping the run.
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 5:40 am

It's going to be teegres worst nightmare.....weddle will sign with the Pats* somehow.....and the other safeties and corners he likes are going to be drafted by the ravens

LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 1:18 am

I'm probably reading too much into this, but it seems like Gerry Dulac was hinting at something in his chat yesterday. Maybe just playing it up, I don't know, I guess I'm just really hoping for a secondary player like Weddle, FWIW:

El Salvador: Gerry do you think the Steelers will at least make a move for Weedle?

Gerry Dulac: All I can tell you is Tomlin really likes him. And the Steelers have always liked Ladarius Green since he visited them before his draft. Get it?

Ron from SoCal: Is there money for TE Green AND a starting quality free agent DB? Do you believe they are actively pursuing such a DB?

Gerry Dulac: Yes there is. And, trust me, they're looking at it.

Freddy_The_Yeti: Assuming the Green signing occurs, do you expect any outside FA's being signed by the Steelers today?

Gerry Dulac: There could be one more....

SteelByDesign: ONE more? Gerry, are you alluding to one in particular?

Gerry Dulac: Yes
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 1:37 am

LambertWard, I got that too. I think Dulac probably has some sources telling him the Steelers are actively looking at a free agent in the secondary, but none of these deals are ever a sure thing, so he is being a bit coy about it.

they are trying to restructure Cortez Allen's deal to make more cap room, so I think there is somebody on the radar. They also are looking to do a deal with DeCastro and Bell, so they need to restructure Timmons for that too.

I think if there is a splash to be made, it will be done by Saturday at the latest.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 2:26 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
LambertWard, I got that too.  I think Dulac probably has some sources telling him the Steelers are actively looking at a free agent in the secondary, but none of these deals are ever a sure thing, so he is being a bit coy about it.

they are trying to restructure Cortez Allen's deal to make more cap room, so I think there is somebody on the radar.  They also are looking to do a deal with DeCastro and Bell, so they need to restructure Timmons for that too.

I think if there is a splash to be made, it will be done by Saturday at the latest.

Ok, cool. Hopefully they are able to work something out and make the DeCastro/Bell deals too.
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 3:18 am

It seems that it's goint to come down to the Steelers and the Raiders. The Steelers would offer him a better chance of winning SB but the Raiders would offer him more money and he doesn't need to move out from the West Coast.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 6:42 am

So are we slowly becoming San Diego east? If so, can we trade for some of their weather? ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 1797695198 ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 1797695198

pczach

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 7:14 am

SteelersYak wrote:
So are we slowly becoming San Diego east? If so, can we trade for some of their weather? ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 1797695198 ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 1797695198

Now if they could start sending all the crappy players to Steelers West while taking good players from other teams, we'll really have something!

From a weather perspective, the Steelers will always lose that battle. We'll just have to live with it. That's a nice thought though. ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 1797695198

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 7:39 am

SteelersYak wrote:

Hey, I live up in Canada so quit whining ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 1797695198

And to become Charger East you need at least 5 players from one team, like how the Cardinals became Steelers West for awhile.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 8:09 am

I sincerely hope that Weddle doesn't sign with the Jokeland Faders for $$$. If you want to win, come to Pittsburgh.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 9:20 am

Read on Steelers Depot this morning that Weddle is down to 2 teams: Oakland and Pittsburgh.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03/report-raiders-serious-contention-eric-weddle
Back to top Go down
EbonySteel86

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 9:58 am

I think he gonna sign with the Raiders. More money, AND he doesn't have to leave the West Coast. The Raiders are a pretty good football team. They ALWAYS give us problems. Now that Peyton left, the AFC West is wide open....well, except for the Chargers if he leaves. LOL
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 10:24 am

Some guys value money more than winning.

I hope Weddle values winning more than money but I guess we'll see.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 10:41 am

SteelersNorth wrote:

I imagine the choice between uprooting your family or not seeing them during the season has something to do with it too.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 11:00 am

jak341 wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:

I imagine the choice between uprooting your family or not seeing them during the season has something to do with it too.

I'm being greedy as a fan much like Weddle is lol
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Really hoping Steelers pull Weddle. I wonder if they have a plan B or if it's Weddle or nothing. I'm not sure if there is much value left after him at this point.

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 6:41 pm

looks like the Raiders signed a CB (Smith) for 4 years/38 mill, are they going after a safety too? or not?
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 6:43 am

Is today the day???

Not getting the hopes up....but if they strike out on weddle....some extensions for leveon and David would be almost as good.

SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 6:47 am

I got a Bleacher Report that the Steelers, Cowboys, and Ravens are interested in signing him. If Weddle goes to the Ravens.... ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 3514758605 ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 3514758605 ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 1883569342 ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 3102619762 ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 3102619762

pczach

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 8:08 am

SteelersYak wrote:
I got a Bleacher Report that the Steelers, Cowboys, and Ravens are interested in signing him.  If Weddle goes to the Ravens.... ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 3514758605 ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 3514758605 ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 1883569342 ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 3102619762 ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 3102619762

I'm sure the Ravens and their fans will be dancing in the streets if they think they prevented the Steelers from getting a great player by signing him and helping their own team.

The only thing that can be sweeter would be if the Ravens sign Weddle, then release a young safety, the Steelers sign him, an he then turns into a great player for the next 8 years. ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 3798349058

I would love to see them pick up a great player to put them over the top, but I'm not going to freak out if they don't sign Weddle. I will just accept that there was a money threshold they would not go beyond. There are some good safeties in the draft, and you never know when a veteran player is going to be a late cut from a roster.

It's not the end of the world if they don't get him. They'll be ok.

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 8:46 am

It's not the end of the world even if they don't draft a safety or CB and don't sign any FA defensive back. The offense is so good that they would still be a playoff contender. But Weddle would be an obvious choice if they want to go the "win now" mode and be a front running SB contender.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle   ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

ESPN: Steelers will 'explore' signing veteran safety Eric Weddle
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next