Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread

Go down 
+11
LambertWardSteel
BnGcanuck
Mach1
Steeler-in-west
SteelerFreak58
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
Geordie
solardave
IowaSteeler927
jak341
Wallace108
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
LambertWardSteel

Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Un-fucking-real. I can't believe we didn't win this game and we have to wait until "next time" again. James is usually so sure handed. I wish he had just held it and there would be no doubt. The game was right there...it was right in his hands. Unbelievable.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:03 pm

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
I hate to be the turd in the punch bowl, but I think the ruling was correct based on the rules. From Mike Pereira, former VP of officiating ..

May well be right but that rule needs to be changed. And I hate to be that guy but if that was Gronk, they would have given it to him.

I don't disagree that bad calls are made. But based on the rule, which I hate, it was an incomplete catch. If we're going to be pissed at someone, we should be pissed at Haley for going conservative and literally handing the ball to Brady for a game-winning drive. On first down, I said to my son, "Well, here comes the 3 and out."

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:04 pm

We freaking had them, even without AB. Next time will be a diff story
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
I hate to be the turd in the punch bowl, but I think the ruling was correct based on the rules. From Mike Pereira, former VP of officiating ..

May well be right but that rule needs to be changed. And I hate to be that guy but if that was Gronk, they would have given it to him.

I don't disagree that bad calls are made. But based on the rule, which I hate, it was an incomplete catch. If we're going to be pissed at someone, we should be pissed at Haley for going conservative and literally handing the ball to Brady for a game-winning drive. On first down, I said to my son, "Well, here comes the 3 and out."
Yeah should have been more aggressive that penultimate drive. That said, I'm encouraged by the heart the team played with. We were missing two vital pieces and still very nearly won. I really think we can get them next time even if that next game is in NE. And if that is the case, that will make victory all the more sweeter since they beat us twice to the SB on our turf
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 pm

I honestly think against any other team, I'd be upset but I wouldn't be pissed. It's just that it's always NE benefiting. I really want their fan base to suffer worse than the Browns one has. I want it to be in 50 years that people will forget the Patriots* were even good.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Yeah should have been more aggressive that penultimate drive. That said, I'm encouraged by the heart the team played with. We were missing two vital pieces and still very nearly won. I really think we can get them next time even if that next game is in NE. And if that is the case, that will make victory all the more sweeter since they beat us twice to the SB on our turf

Amen! Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 230572241

Here's another interesting take, but I still blame Haley more than the refs ...

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
BnGcanuck
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
BnGcanuck wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Catches the ball, possesses it, breaks the plane. That's a motherfucking touchdown. They just gave the Patsies a fucking win. Just gift wrapped it and gave it to them.

This is what confuses me, he broke the plane. Not sure how that works. Kind of has that troy interception call back in 06 feel to it. That hurt but we still have the playoffs to look forward to. Go Steelers.

Explanation from Periera ...

I guess Mr. James is feeling pretty bummed about that. Thank you Wallace for clearing that up.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Anyhow it's all good guys. They're beatable and if there's a next time, they'll have to deal with AB too. AB, Schuster, and Bryant and Bell and James? Yeah that could be tough for them. And we'll have Haden back too. I've never wanted to beat them so badly.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Catch and touchdown period. They can try and cite their BS rules all they want. He caught the ball, possessed it, and made a football move by extending it across the plane. Not to mention there is absolutely nothing I've seen so far that proves without a doubt that ball did in fact touch the ground.

We got robbed.

Last edited by IowaSteeler927 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
BnGcanuck
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Better playing calling at the end needed to be made.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:20 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Catch and touchdown period. They can try and cite their BS rules all they want. He caught the ball, possessed it, and made a football move by extending it across the plane. Not to mention there is absolutely nothing I've seen so far that proves without a doubt that ball did in fact touch the ground.

We got robbed.
Exactly.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:20 pm

What happened after the robbery doesn't matter because we had already won the game until the officials decided they didn't like that outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:23 pm

I wouldn't hold my breath on AB...not seeing good news. Per Twitter: torn calf muscle. Is expected to be done for season and postseason. May come back for a very late playoff or SB game, if he comes back.

Last edited by jak341 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:24 pm

YEah there were a lot of questionable calls towards the end that benefited the Pats*. Did the Pats* even haev one penalty called against them the whole game? I'm sorry but I don't buy for a second that they're that much more disciplined. Something stinks big time with the Pats* and I've found that way for a long time.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 pm

I'm not happy with the ref calls, but that's part of playing against the Patriots*.

Having said that, James shouldn't have folded like a cheap tent, on the 1, with no contact. He should have tap danced into the endzone. He goes down too easily.

Also, was anyone fooled by Ben's fake spike? He played a great game to that point, but that fake spike should have been throw into the 10th row of the stands when it was apparent no one was fooled on the play (and Rogers was well covered).

Oh well, time for them to buck up and ensure they still get a bye. And maybe another team will go to Foxboro and beat the Pats*.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:37 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:

We got robbed.

That’s the way I see it. It was a catch as he showed control moving toward the goal line then he broke the plane of the goal, when he landed the ground caused the ball to move in his hands - that’s it. It’s a bs call to me and in any case replay should’ve never overturned it, clearly, clearly not enough to overturn it. They should’ve let it stand. Worst call against the Steelers that I can remember.
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Steeler-in-west wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

We got robbed.

That’s the way I see it. It was a catch as he showed control moving toward the goal line then he broke the plane of the goal, when he landed the ground caused the ball to move in his hands - that’s it. It’s a bs call to me and in any case replay should’ve never overturned it, clearly, clearly not enough to overturn it. They should’ve let it stand. Worst call against the Steelers that I can remember.
That's why the rule is so stupid. It punishes guys for stretching in key situations like that. The league should be ashamed of themselves. I just hope we play these guys again. I want revenge and I'd love it if we hit Brady so hard during that game he decides to hang them up afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 10:36 pm

That's why the rule is so stupid. It punishes guys for stretching in key situations like that.

I agree. I hate the rule. But it is what it is.

When a receiver goes to the ground, he has to maintain control of the ball through the entire process of the catch, including making contact with the ground. James clearly did not. As for crossing the plane. That applies only to runners, and not pass plays. That's why James crossing the plane is irrelevant. The only thing that should be an issue is whether the ball ever hit the ground. And I'm willing to bet two people can look at the play and see two different things. I'm honestly not sure until I see some screen grabs. But at the end of the day, the ref thought it hit the ground.

Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 10:39 pm

Hate to say it but James didn't complete the catch all the way down to the ground. According to the rules that's incomplete. Had he made a football move prior to that it'd be a different story
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 10:44 pm

I just saw a good replay, and the ball clearly hit the ground, so there's no dispute there.

Dean Blandino explains why the officials got it right on controversial Patriots*-Steelers call

Video: https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/video/1118603331658?amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 12:00 am

Oh well. I think it’s jyst more motivation to beat them in the playoffs. They didn’t get this team at its best and I’m confident come January we’ll see that. I just hate losing to them over a stupid rule. That team always gets the breaks and I want them to be humbled big time with an ass kicking on their home turf in front of their asshole fans.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 4:24 am

The only small silver lining I see is we're going to be motivated for revenge the next time we play them but we have to get there first and we'll likely be playing on their turf. You just hate to lose a game like that. I honestly haven't felt that sick in a long time.

We didn't lose. We outplayed them and the game was stolen from us. What I thought of afterwards was this: after the reversal why didn't Tomlin send Bos in kick a field goal. At least we would have had OT.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 4:48 am

solardave wrote:
The only small silver lining I see is we're going to be motivated for revenge the next time we play them but we have to get there first and we'll likely be playing on their turf. You just hate to lose a game like that. I honestly haven't felt that sick in a long time.

We didn't lose. We outplayed them and the game was stolen from us. What I thought of afterwards was this: after the reversal why didn't Tomlin send Bos in kick a field goal. At least we would have had OT.

It was only 2nd down with 28 seconds left, plenty of time for multiple plays. Ben (who had a great game) just made a bad call on 3rd down.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 5:12 am

I'm finally calm now but I was really pissed after the game. I wanted to smash something just after the game (I didn't) and it's been a very long time since I've felt that way...

Some observations:

1. It was great to see Shazier back, didn't expect him to see at the game.
2. We played a great game, even without AB.
3. It was awesome to finally see man coverage.
4. Juju was great and Bryant played his best game of the season.
5. Hilton is a joy to watch.
6. The call was correct, but that rule sucks. It's beyond me that when a runner breaks the plane and fumbles the ball at the goalline he gets a TD and a receiver who breaks the plane and loses control off the football afterwards doesn't.
7. At 24-16 Villanueva's back to back penalties were the first game changer.
8. At 24-19 Haley was way too conservative on first down.
9. I can live with Sean Davis being torched by Gronkowski (that's what great players do) on the final drive and the 2 pt conversion, but he had to make that interception just before the 2 minute warning.
10. After James broke the plane he needed to bring the ball back to his body to secure the ball.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread   Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers vs. Patriots** game thread
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next