Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round

Go down 
+25
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
Atlanta Dan
jak341
El-Gonzo Jackson
effyou515
SteelersYak
Master_Of_Puppets
kirklandrules
Vis
BKAnthem
SteelersCanada
Buddha Bus
tony hipchest
Austinfrench76
ETL
Steeler Zach
Bays
Fire Arians
DesertSteel
Hawaii 5-0
kan_t
43Hitman
SoCalFan
ImperialFan
Wallace108
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 8:59 pm

4(121) Pittsburgh Steelers: Doran Grant, CB, Ohio State: B+ Grade

Another surprising cornerback pick. Doran Grant neither has the size (5-10) nor the athleticism that the Steelers usually look for in their cornerbacks. However, I think this is a solid choice. Doran Grant provides some value, as he could have gone at the end of the third round.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades4.php#0dKGeLUI0Zz71Jms.99
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 9:23 pm

ImperialFan wrote:
ETL wrote:
It is of utter utter simplicity to judge a draft pick to be better because of a 2 inch height difference. I am not saying that Grant won't be better than Golson  but to say that  Grant will be better because he's a bit taller and that's it - just the height and some size - is ... Amateurish. C'mon. We should be better than this.

Golson weighs 176 pounds.... I weigh 176 pounds! I am too small to play in he nfl and so is he.

He's probably 5-6 inches taller than you though. Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 2087824411

. .
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptySun May 03, 2015 9:22 am

ImperialFan wrote:
ETL wrote:
It is of utter utter simplicity to judge a draft pick to be better because of a 2 inch height difference. I am not saying that Grant won't be better than Golson  but to say that  Grant will be better because he's a bit taller and that's it - just the height and some size - is ... Amateurish. C'mon. We should be better than this.

Golson weighs 176 pounds.... I weigh 176 pounds! I am too small to play in he nfl and so is he.

Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 1505004552

You do realize that the man could possibly bulk up and put on some weight/muscle with proper training right? Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 294855916

And, BTW, Darren Sproles, Wes Welker, Maurice Jones-Drew, Steve Smith, Antoine Winfield, DeSean Jackson, Bob Sanders, and Jim Leonhard are chuckling all the way to the bank.

Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptySun May 03, 2015 10:31 am

Buddha Bus wrote:

You do realize that the man could possibly bulk up and put on some weight/muscle with proper training right? Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 294855916

And, BTW, Darren Sproles, Wes Welker, Maurice Jones-Drew, Steve Smith, Antoine Winfield, DeSean Jackson, Bob Sanders, and Jim Leonhard are chuckling all the way to the bank.

Starting to think ImperialFan is trolling.
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptySun May 03, 2015 11:00 am

tony hipchest wrote:
ImperialFan wrote:
ETL wrote:

He's probably 5-6 inches taller than you though. Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 2087824411

actually I have 3 1/2 inches on Golson.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptySun May 03, 2015 2:59 pm

Yet anther late round DB.... Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 2913999526
Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptySun May 03, 2015 3:18 pm

BKAnthem wrote:
Yet anther late round DB.... Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 2913999526

Like Richard Sherman drafted in the 5th?

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptySun May 03, 2015 4:40 pm

ImperialFan wrote:

Except he's gonna sign a contract worth $3-4 million and you're not.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptySun May 03, 2015 4:48 pm

ImperialFan wrote:
ETL wrote:

Somehow, I think your similarity in weight is about where this comparison stops. Golson is in the NFL, drafted by our Steelers, and most of us will root for him to play well. We Steelers fans love a good underdog.

Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 Underdog-post1
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 2:12 am

An updated look at the Steelers' cornerback depth after the 2015 NFL Draft

By Jeff.Hartman on May 4, 2015

Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 Usa-today-8344274.0

The Pittsburgh Steelers added depth to their secondary through the 2015 NFL Draft. Time to take a look at the depth chart at cornerback heading into the 2015 season.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have known now for a while this time would come. The time when they would be forced to spend quality draft picks on cornerbacks to help replace the players like Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis who have left the team in one capacity or another.

The team finally did just that in the 2015 NFL Draft selecting two cornerbacks in the first 4 rounds of the draft. They selected Senquez Golson from Ole Miss in the second round and Doran Grant from Ohio State in the fourth round. How the two defensive backs will fit into the team's plans in 2015 has yet to be known, but they certainly will have their chance to climb the depth chart.

The top of the depth chart is William Gay, and rightfully so. Gay has been the Steelers' best defensive back the past two seasons, and although such a statement could speak volumes about the team's secondary, it also speaks volumes about Gay as a player. Behind Gay would have to be Cortez Allen. Although not a fan-favorite after his sub-par 2014 season, Allen still is a large part of the team's future plans, and a large part of the reasoning behind that is the large contract he received prior to the 2014 season.

After Gay and Allen it remains a show without any headliners. Antwon Blake and B.W. Webb are the only other cornerbacks on the roster with NFL experience.

This is how Golson and Grant can help fill gaping holes within the team's roster.

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/5/4/8545817/an-updated-look-at-the-steelers-cornerback-depth-after-the-2015-nfl
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 2:52 am

ImperialFan wrote:
ETL wrote:

did you play NCAA football last year and have 10 interceptions ?
do you think this guy only played against other 5-8 guys his entire career ?
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 4:30 am

It's funny that the 'public opinion' thinks it's a bad pick because of his height. On another hand, Kiper said he may be the best pick in the second round and Mayock said he tracks the ball as well as anyone he has seen in years.

And it's not like he didn't face top WR in college, in SEC there are Kevin White, Amari Cooper, OBJ, Mike Evans,etc.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 7:05 am

Shocked Did it just say William Gay is at the top of our depth chart?

Did I really read that right?! Shocked

Never would have saw that coming before he left for Arizona.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2015 12:57 am

Steelers' fourth-round pick Grant relies on smarts to get job done

By Ralph N. Paulk
Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Facing the Best

How Ohio State cornerback Doran Grant fared against some of college football's top receivers:

2014, vs. Sammy Watkins (Orange Bowl): 16 catches, 227 yards, 2 TDs

2015, vs. Amari Cooper (Sugar Bowl): 9 catches, 71 yards, 2 TDs

Doran Grant isn't interested in experimenting at safety when the Steelers open training camp at St. Vincent College later this summer.

The Steelers' fourth-round pick considers himself a natural at cornerback. He'll have a chance to prove it this weekend during rookie mini-camp.

What the Steelers are hoping to see from Grant and second-round pick Senquez Golson is an ability to tackle, which has been a problem for their cornerbacks much of the past four seasons. Grant played a significant role in Ohio State's Big Ten title game win with two interceptions. He was more impressive against the run against Oregon in the national championship game.

Grant has immeasurable confidence, especially in man coverage. But he considers tackling and intelligence his greatest assets.

“I feel like I'm a great tackler,” said Grant, whose father, Ted Jones, was a standout receiver at Michigan State. “I feel also my intelligence in the film room and on the chalkboard is very good, and I can translate that information to the field very fast.”

to read rest of story:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8301901-74/grant-steelers-safety#ixzz3ZK7LBGZe
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2015 4:16 pm

might be the best pick of this draft.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Snapshot: Doran Grant

Aug 05, 2015
Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net

Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 1562876

Hard-working rookie CB plying his trade quietly but making big plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

LATROBE -- With Brandon Boykin in camp with the Pittsburgh Steelers, the young cornerbacks drafted last April aren't standing on such hot spots at St. Vincent College.

It's OK that second-round Senquez Golson has to get his shoulder fixed, and it's OK that the coaching staff shows patience with fourth-round pick Doran Grant.

Not that Grant is being coddled.

At 5-10 1/4 with a 4.44 Combine 40, he's not the biggest or the fastest but he's been showing off his quick burst to the ball, his strength, the cover-2 skills that made him a two-year starter at Ohio State, and best of all the ability to turn interceptions into points.

This past Sunday Grant picked off Tyler Murphy at midfield and returned it down the sideline for a touchdown. Previously, in the second practice of camp, Grant picked off Landry Jones in the end zone and returned it to the other end zone, 100 yards, just like he once did in the Big 33 Game on a record-setting play.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1570457-snapshot-doran-grant
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 12:36 am

Grant had a solid career at osu, a good senior bowl week and a technically sound combine workout. He works hard, has good technique and will make the 53. I'm a Michigan fan, but like the Doran Grant pick.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 11:52 pm

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Steelers Release of Doran Grant Has Troubling Layers

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steelers-release-of-doran-grant-has-troubling-layers/
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 9:31 am

I am still sort of shocked that Grant was released. I didn't think he was that bad, but I really didn't see enough to know (especially in daily practices).

Makes me wonder if there is something else that went wrong (some sort of injury, attitude, drugs, etc.)

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 10:09 am

jak341 wrote:
I am still sort of shocked that Grant was released. I didn't think he was that bad, but I really didn't see enough to know (especially in daily practices).

Makes me wonder if there is something else that went wrong (some sort of injury, attitude, drugs, etc.)

I had the same thought about some non-football related reason for the cut - hard to believe Cockrell impressed the staff that much in last week's Buffalo game that a 4th round pick would be shown the door.

If a third round mistake like Archer is still on the roster I cannot figure why a team with so many DB deficiencies and 2016 free agents in the secondary would cut Grant

Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 1:27 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
jak341 wrote:

I had the same thought about some non-football related reason for the cut - hard to believe Cockrell impressed the staff that much in last week's Buffalo game that a 4th round pick would be shown the door.  

If a third round mistake like Archer is still on the roster I cannot figure why a team with so many DB deficiencies and 2016 free agents in the secondary would cut Grant

after the martavis Bryant situation, I think they know he has undisclosed failed drug tests and are willing to cut him to set an example to the rest of the team. Sacrificial lamb so to speak to send a message to the likes of Bryant and bell.

Just speculation on my part. But it makes sense.

Them Ohio State players love their weed.

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 4:36 pm

Steelers promote CB Doran Grant to active roster

Grant was a fourth-round draft selection in the 2015 NFL Draft.

The Steelers have promoted cornerback Doran Grant to the active roster, the team announced today.

Grant (5-10, 200), originally joined the team as a fourth-round (121st overall) draft selection in the 2015 NFL Draft. He started 30-of-54 games played at Ohio State and totaled 146 tackles, nine interceptions and 20 pass breakups. He has spent the first eight weeks of the season on the team’s Practice Squad.

To make room for Grant, the Steelers have released wide receiver Tyler Murphy.

http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-1/Steelers-promote-CB-Doran-Grant-to-active-roster/9d63f695-cf23-4578-8a84-23aa9eeb5893
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 4:48 pm

SUPERBOWL! Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 1797695198
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 2:07 am

Fire Arians wrote:
SUPERBOWL! Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 1797695198

How?? We just got rid of Tyler Murphy. Time to talk about the next draft.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 3:14 am

Gerry Dulac @gerrydulac
Some NFL scouts thought CB Doran Grant, who was signed from practice squad today, could play safety. Keep that in mind

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/662114622401593344

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round   Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers select OSU cornerback Doran Grant in the fourth round
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next